Regular Coffee - Carton Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Carton Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Cream Ale |  12.00% ABV

A Classic Jersey-ism is "regular coffee." Here when you oder a "regular coffee" at any place you trust to make a pork roll and cheese you get a paper cup of coffee with "milk and 2 sugars" rather than a "black coffee that hasn't had the caffeine removed." Acidic bitter coffee flattened by milk and sweetened; the perfect foil for the salty unctuous savor of breakfast on a roll. For our homage to Jersey's breakfast beverage, we teamed up with our neighbors at Fair Mountain Coffee Roasters looking for an elevated version of classic crappy coffee. We chose Mexican Chiapas for its bitterness akin to artichoke, roasting it a little darker than usual, along with Ethiopian Sidamo for its pleasant lemon-like acidity, which we pushed up through fermentation. We added this coffee blend to a high gravity golden cream ale, contributing our "milk and 2 sugars." Drink Regular Coffee because running over a black beer with coffee is no way to get to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A ... 6WbvjLR1Kg

(Beer added by: mikeburd1128 on 12-13-2013)
Reviews by BKBassist:

This is an odd bird. I almost can't review it as a beer, as it had no beer qualities outside of appearance. Blindfolded I would have thought I was drinking a chilled coffee soda. The appearance gave no hint of this, it looked like a standard amber/dark golden cream ale.

If you look at this as something of an experimental brew, it surely succeeds in tasting exactly like coffee soda.

If you want something with any of the qualities of a beer outside of appearance, this is the wrong choice for you.

I felt middle of the road ratings were the only appropriate thing to give this, as I feel it probably is doing what it set out to do, but that thing is so odd. I'd rather no longer talk about this beverage.

5 oz. goblet at Pinocchio's

Not a color I see very often, very pale but distinctly brown-hued. Not much head, just some bubbles around the glass.

Smells like coffee and cream, incredibly. It's what they set out to do and they nailed it.

Taste is sweet malts, slight staleness, and a beautiful coffee finish.

My fiance was skeptical that we went out of our way for this, but ordered her own after trying mine. It really is as it's described.

4.54/5  rDev +4.6%

I was amazed when I had this. I could not believe how good it tasted.

A - It looked like a typical cream ale/pilsner style beer. I was expecting something darker with a name like Regular Coffee. Also, not much head to speak of. I was a little curious since I'm used to seeing more head develop on this type of beer.

S - Plenty of coffee aroma and cream. Spot on, I'd say. Made me apprehensive yet eager to give it a taste.

T - Dude really? This was amazing. Sweet malt up front, the finish was all coffee and cream. Not bitter black coffee, but something you beg your barista to make for you - just right - when you go to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. There is no booziness in the taste. The alcohol is very will hidden for such a high gravity brew.

M - This was smooth and creamy, as classified. Very easy to drink. Quite rich after a few pulls. Makes you want to have another cup, er, pint.

O - They did Jersey proud with this beer. Everyone up here knows what a "regular coffee" is. This one nails that description - coffee with cream/milk and two sugars. I wish my coffee each morning was this nice.

4.96/5  rDev +14.3%

Rich mouth-feel reminds of Backwoods Bastard, while the taste reminds of both Cascade Oblique Coffee Blonde and Terrapin Wake n Bake. This is an excellent beer with no noticeable alcohol presence -- a great accomplishment at 12%. As a NJ native, this is an excellent emulation of the traditional NJ coffee -- creamy with some extra sugar added. The creamy mouth-feel was particularly awesome on this brew; I'd love to see more amped-up cream ales like this one that take advantage of malty goodness and coffee/cream flavors. Easily one of my favorite NJ brews. Hoping that Carton makes it available year-round, or starts distributing it in cans/bottles. That would be a dream come true. Again, awesome beer.

Regular Coffee from Carton Brewing Company