Regular Coffee - Carton Brewing Company

Carton Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Cream Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: mikeburd1128 on 12-13-2013

A Classic Jersey-ism is "regular coffee." Here when you oder a "regular coffee" at any place you trust to make a pork roll and cheese you get a paper cup of coffee with "milk and 2 sugars" rather than a "black coffee that hasn't had the caffeine removed." Acidic bitter coffee flattened by milk and sweetened; the perfect foil for the salty unctuous savor of breakfast on a roll. For our homage to Jersey's breakfast beverage, we teamed up with our neighbors at Fair Mountain Coffee Roasters looking for an elevated version of classic crappy coffee. We chose Mexican Chiapas for its bitterness akin to artichoke, roasting it a little darker than usual, along with Ethiopian Sidamo for its pleasant lemon-like acidity, which we pushed up through fermentation. We added this coffee blend to a high gravity golden cream ale, contributing our "milk and 2 sugars." Drink Regular Coffee because running over a black beer with coffee is no way to get to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A ... 6WbvjLR1Kg
to view more.
Ratings: 438 | Reviews: 67
Reviews by BKBassist:

This is an odd bird. I almost can't review it as a beer, as it had no beer qualities outside of appearance. Blindfolded I would have thought I was drinking a chilled coffee soda. The appearance gave no hint of this, it looked like a standard amber/dark golden cream ale.

If you look at this as something of an experimental brew, it surely succeeds in tasting exactly like coffee soda.

If you want something with any of the qualities of a beer outside of appearance, this is the wrong choice for you.

I felt middle of the road ratings were the only appropriate thing to give this, as I feel it probably is doing what it set out to do, but that thing is so odd. I'd rather no longer talk about this beverage.

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce can poured into an oversized snifter.

This beer was one I'd wanted to try for some time. So I'm pretty happy to be doing this review.

The beer pours a bright golden/amber color with a lot of fizziness. A surprising amount of fizziness. This settles and forms a fizzy yet substantial head that sits a bit foamy before becoming a lacy layer over the body. Plenty of carbonation continues to surge in the glass as I observe it. 4.25

Pretty magical how they got this aroma. There's a chocolatey and roast-y coffee aroma, subtle but there enough to be noticed and enjoyed. Beyond this is a sweet element that suggests even a chocolate with gooey orange stuff inside. This really just smells like some sort of sweet treat. Delicious. 4.25

Not much of a departure from nose to palate, but in a good way. Still getting faint citrus notes (Citra hops maybe?) light coffee notes with some chocolatey qualities, and an immense sweetness like a soda. A cream soda even. The lingering coffee flavor is exceptional, imparting caramel, toffee and chocolate in a delightful blend. 4.25

I have to say there's a bit of heat to this beer at the finish, not in a solvent-y way, but it does make the back of your tongue and mouth tingle. It's pretty unique and takes some getting used to. That aside, this is deliciously creamy and deceptionally easy-drinking. Where the hell is the 12%? Are you lying to me Augie Carton? Nah but seriously, this think drinks so easily, I could see myself "mistakenly" downing a sixer and waking up...scratch that...never waking up. 4

I'm a sucker for a unique beer and this brew is certainly unique. In a good way. Quite enjoyable. Hell, more than enjoyable. Delectable in certain ways.

3.11/5  rDev -26.5%

A: Golden yellow; a tad darker than the average cream ale, but with crisp clarity.

S: Food cart coffee; corny graininess; astringent alcohol presence.

T: Follows the nose. Unexpected (vis-a-vis the color) coffee punch up front, giving way to sweet creamed corn notes appropriate to the style. Alcohol is less prominent than on the nose, but a strong astringent kick lingers.

M: Slick, creamy, and full-bodied, with slight effervescence.

O: An unusual beer, and hard to score. Not much of a to-style cream ale; too strong, and (obviously) featuring a distinct flavor additive. But the corn-based sweetness and alcohol notes bring immediately to mind Genny cream ale. In the end, the flavors ultimately don't quite gel, with the unique sweet/coffee profile giving way to cheap, corny alcohol notes. Lower ABV might serve this brew well.

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

If someone just handed you a glass of this, you would think it was a DIPA based on color and head, though there is minimal, if any, lacing. But one whiff and that classic coffee smell takes over, filling the nose, accompanied by a slight hint of sweetener and maybe some caramel. Wasn't expecting it to be as sweet as it is though, though maybe I just enjoy my "regular coffee" a bit more on the roasted side. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, stopping just short of cloying, but the carb levels are perfect. Can't believe this is 12% ABV though, drinks MUCH lower than that. Unsurprisingly short finish. Really good beer, would love to try on tap.

2.96/5  rDev -30%

Really just average all around. I completely don't understand the hype on this one but more power to Carton for getting another beer on the map. Love Boat Beer dearly.

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic!!! This beer has a great taste with a lighter color. Tastes amazing with a sweet after taste

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz can, sample from the brewery.

Good lacing all the way down, pale copper hue with a perfect clarity. Smells of fresh cold brewed coffee with an edge of toasted malt and alcohol. Mild coffee flavor throughout, some malt sweetness with in the creamy full-ish body. Very warming alcohol, sweetness lingers and so does the coffee flavor. In the end ... this does taste like a Regular Coffee, with a kick of course.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Color deceptive. Sweet milk scent. Dunkin' on beer. Super creamy and sweet coffee. Hides ABV well, leaves me wanting more coffee. Great nonetheless.

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%

5 oz. goblet at Pinocchio's

Not a color I see very often, very pale but distinctly brown-hued. Not much head, just some bubbles around the glass.

Smells like coffee and cream, incredibly. It's what they set out to do and they nailed it.

Taste is sweet malts, slight staleness, and a beautiful coffee finish.

My fiance was skeptical that we went out of our way for this, but ordered her own after trying mine. It really is as it's described.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Light, cloudy tangerine brew with a mild flat white head with excellent retention. Nearly opaque.

Huge coffee aroma, very similar to a stout. Bit of creamy sweetness and almost a mustiness, as well, but dark roasty, slightly burned, and rich coffee dominate.

Flavor follows. Sweet as honey, with big coffee notes up front, sugar and pale malts in the middle, and coffee roaring back for the finish.

Sticky and syrupy. Excellent body, medium-thick, mild sting, and hiding the ABV exceptionally well (behind all that sugar).

This is a very good coffee brew, but clocks in just too sweet for my tastes.

4.19/5  rDev -0.9%

32oz. growler into a Bullfrog Grrrz snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a foamy 1 finger white head with moderate retention. Beer is a clear copper. Lacing is stringy and spotty with little stick. Average.

Nose is lactose and coffee. Simple but pretty aromatic and a huge departure from the aroma of a normal cream ale.

Opens sweet coffee, lactose, cane sugar and a subtle, creamy booziness in the background. Middle is more of the same with a nice balance between the coffee and cream. Aftertaste of coffee beans. Sticky and sweet. Pretty simply but really enjoyable.

Medium bodied with ample carbonation. Prickly and lively in the mouth and goes down surprisingly smooth for the abv. Finishes clean with a lightly lingering aftertaste. Impressive.

As a coffee beer this is just average. However, as a cream ale, this is unbelievable! It depends on how you categorize it but as its listed, its hard to say this beer isn't top notch!

3.46/5  rDev -18.2%

Not a big coffee guy so take that into rating.

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%

I was amazed when I had this. I could not believe how good it tasted.

A - It looked like a typical cream ale/pilsner style beer. I was expecting something darker with a name like Regular Coffee. Also, not much head to speak of. I was a little curious since I'm used to seeing more head develop on this type of beer.

S - Plenty of coffee aroma and cream. Spot on, I'd say. Made me apprehensive yet eager to give it a taste.

T - Dude really? This was amazing. Sweet malt up front, the finish was all coffee and cream. Not bitter black coffee, but something you beg your barista to make for you - just right - when you go to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. There is no booziness in the taste. The alcohol is very will hidden for such a high gravity brew.

M - This was smooth and creamy, as classified. Very easy to drink. Quite rich after a few pulls. Makes you want to have another cup, er, pint.

O - They did Jersey proud with this beer. Everyone up here knows what a "regular coffee" is. This one nails that description - coffee with cream/milk and two sugars. I wish my coffee each morning was this nice.

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Not what I expected at all--is this can bad? Extremely light in color, barely any head
S: Okay, its fine! Phew...Great coffee smell, no real hint of liquor. Caramel sweetness, definitely am getting the "cream and sugar" here
T: Where is the alcohol? At 12% this is kinda scary...perhaps a little sweeter than I like in imperial's, but great coffee taste and well balanced.
M: Medium body, good carbonation. Maybe would like to see a little more heavy mouthfeel.
O: Really good beer, nailed the style. Not the most earth-shattering beer I've had, but I respect the buzz and would definitely get this again.

3.67/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz can poured into a snifter

A- pours a hazy golden-yellow color with an orange hue, small foamy white head disappears almost immediately, leaving nothing behind

S- milky, sugary and creamy lactic sweet aroma, hints of caramel & herbal/earthy hop. The coffee is faint but does have some grassy, peppery & lemony aromas

T- creamy and sugary flavor up front with some milky lactic notes, hints of caramel, light herbal hop. The coffee is faint, but does add flavors of cocoa, herbal notes & some citrus acidity, alcohol ob the finish

M- heavy viscous body with moderate carbonation leads to a slightly foamy viscous mouthfeel that continues to a warming finish

O- an interesting concept with light coffee notes, other than that it's just a really boozy cream ale

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a semi cloudy light orange color. Had a decent white head and not much lacing at all
S: Good smelling beer lots of coffee and sweet malts in the nose. But also a slight grassy/wheat smell in the back.
T: Where this beer shines. I can't believe its 12% hides it so well. Has a nice sweetness on the beginning and end with a slight bitter coffee middle. But the coffee taste is all the way through. Like a nice cup of ice coffee. Has a real nice aftertaste as well.
F: Very good mouth feel. Nicely carbonated and leaves a nice coating in your mouth for that delicious after taste.

O: A very unique beer that everyone should try. Cup of coffee in a can and its delicious.

4.96/5  rDev +17.3%

Rich mouth-feel reminds of Backwoods Bastard, while the taste reminds of both Cascade Oblique Coffee Blonde and Terrapin Wake n Bake. This is an excellent beer with no noticeable alcohol presence -- a great accomplishment at 12%. As a NJ native, this is an excellent emulation of the traditional NJ coffee -- creamy with some extra sugar added. The creamy mouth-feel was particularly awesome on this brew; I'd love to see more amped-up cream ales like this one that take advantage of malty goodness and coffee/cream flavors. Easily one of my favorite NJ brews. Hoping that Carton makes it available year-round, or starts distributing it in cans/bottles. That would be a dream come true. Again, awesome beer.

1/22/15 EDIT: and now it's in cans! absolutely incredible beer. one of the best I've ever had.

4.56/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can shared by Curran tonight.

Pours a golden hazy yellow, looks essentially like a delicious IPA. There's a very small head, and no lacing at all.

This smells absolutely delicious- coffee, cream, caramelized sugar, vanilla, and melted marshmallows. Oh my god, I can't wait to drink this shit.

This is basically unlike any beer I've ever had. It's decadent, and quite sweet- any more than a can would be too much. There's a really good sugary coffee taste here, with a lot of vanilla and cream, almost making it feel like a big fluffy marshmallow. There's caramel and butterscotch, too. Tastes like a very sweet iced coffee, in the best way. Java heaven.

This is pretty thick bodied, and a bit syrupy in the mouthfeel. The carbonation is low, but not too low. It's really drinkable for the ABV- you don't feel or sense the alcohol at all.

This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had. So tasty, rich, and excellent.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm kind of mind blown at how great this beer is. It is both surprising and tasty. Without knowing what to expect, you pour the beer into a glass and see what looks to be a pale beer.

I thought this would be a stout! Even after reading "cream ale" on the label, I thought maybe this was some unique, new age cream ale / stout hybrid. But no. It is the perfect explanation of a beer for folks who drink their coffee with cream and sugar. The scary part is, I drink my coffee black and yet I can't get enough of this beer!

I was utterly shocked at the commanding presence of coffee in this beer. And yet it was not roasty at all like you get from Founders breakfast stout, Ballast Point victory at sea, or Evolution rise up. Instead, you get exactly what the label says... A cream ale with coffee. It certainly fooled me for being 12% abv. If you asked me to guess, I would probably say half that. Buy as much of this as you can despite the $15 price tag for a 4-pack. Your taste buds will thank you.

3.12/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Too sweet for my liking.

Enjoyed at EBF 2014.

Color threw me off a bit as it's lighter than i expected, i like it when a brewery can surprise me. Light bodied, easy to drink and 12%? You bet! Gingery, coffee and milk flavor plus a creamy body make this one a winner in my book.

4.16/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very unique, and the ABV is more hidden than almost any beer I have ever drank. Great mouth feel, and it absolutely tastes like a heavy cream and sugared coffee.

1.86/5  rDev -56%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

On tap at the Beer Shoppe, Ardmore.

Light amber color with a slight haze, and a foamy white head that fizzled down to a tiny ring; minimal lacing. In the nose, Caramel Cremes and distant coffee, booze. The taste was...really pretty bad. Sickeningly sweet caramel and sour cream, cake batter, fusel alcohol, sweet corn, some roast, but any coffee in this was really an afterthought. Mouthfeel was slick and syrupy, with a body like a half-flat soda. The high ABV was definitely there--maybe not all 12%, but it was definitely boozy. Overall, this was a revolting mess. Glad I tried it once, but never again.

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

I don't understand the hype here. It would be a solid imperial version of a cream ale, but I got absolutely no coffee from the aroma or the taste. Big disappointment considering all the high ratings.

3.51/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thick, amber, nice lacing. Smell is a little bit of cotton candy and something vegetal; no coffee coming through. As it warms, alcohol starts to pop. Flavor is sweet, vanilla taffy, where's the coffee? Thick, slick, a little cloying. Cold the alcohol is hidden but it comes out as it warms. I expected a novelty beer, but I also expected coffee. I got the former and not the latter. Glad I got to try it but this is my least favorite Carton beer thus far. I prefer the pumpkin scobeyville cream ale - which seems to come from the same general recipe - by a wide margin.

to view more.