Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Boat Beer | Carton Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
4.1

Boat BeerBoat Beer

Carton Brewing Company
New Jersey, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Described by the brewer as more of an American Pale Ale. It's not an India Pale Ale.

Boat Beer is designed to be complex enough to merit drinking a few without being crippled by alcohol. Kolsch yeast and German malts are combined to be crisp and refreshing, while a generous amount of American hops have been added to keep it remarkable. Expect it to dance out of the glass with a whack of grapefruit and open into a crisp, stony tangle of white and yellow fruit with pine and moss notes. An IPA for everyday drinking, drink boat beer when you are thirsty from softball, fishing, or explaining why your team is best.

Session Ale
ABV: 4.2% | IBU: 35 | SRM: 3.5

Added by Citadel82 on 10-24-2011

Reviews: 147 | Ratings: 1,180
Reviews by Damian74Shensky:

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #89 (Jun 2014):

Hoppy, Dry, Poundable

“Session” is all the rage right now; especially hoppy versions. Putting that aside, we’ve got a beer here that pours a pale, straw, hazy yellow color with a healthy head. Nose is very hoppy; gritty, raw, grassy, piney, resiny. Crisp, dry, seltzer-like, minerally, grapefruit rinds, unripe stone fruit, pithy, pine, crackery malts, and an herbal linger. There’s a lot going on here, and in a good way.. One of the better session beers currently on the market.

STYLE: Session Ale | ABV: 4.2% | AVAILABILITY: Year-round

4.1/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a very hazy light golden color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains decently before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a small patch of sheer surface foam. Not-so-resilient lacing leaves a broken ring behind.

S- Very bright citrus aroma springs from the glass with some resinous pine notes.

T- Fruity and moderately bitter at first but halfway through it washes away to the weak finish I'm accustomed to with session IPAs. Still, it's quite tasty and of course very drinkable. Light notes of pineapple, grapefruit and lemon and the bitterness does end up lingering for a bit after multiple sips are taken.

M- Crisp and very refreshing with medium carbonation and a light body.

O- Though it has me wanting more overall flavor just like with other session IPAs, this one certainly beats out most of the others I've had. If I lived in NJ, I would happily buy this for any outdoor activity.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

16 oz can. Good start.

Pours a very cloudy pale, straw yellow. Small, thin, bubbly white head.

Aroma is fairly weak. Very faint faint cracker like smell with some slightly dank hops.

Taste is much better than I was expecting. Lots of citrus flavors. Grapefruit, mandarin orange, mango. Also some lemon that gives it a crisp tartness. Very balanced with a biscuit like breaded malt base. Smooth aftertaste.

A lot fuller bodied than you would expect for a 4.2% beer. Carbonation seems about right. Has some resin slickness

This one isnt quite up there amongst the Zombie Dusts, Alpha Kings, Red Chairs, or Dale's of the world as a straight up Pale Ale, but at 1.5-2% lower abv or more than every other, it is in a league of it's own. I rated it straight up to style. I would say 4.5+ if there were a sub 5%/ session category. After having this and 077XX, believe the Carton hype!

3.65/5  rDev -11%

We loved this beer during our first pint. Then during our second pint, we discovered that it's so dry and so citrusy that it was making us pucker. We didn't want to keep drinking it.

Let me start by saying - this is my favorite beer of all time. My "desert island" beer. Boat is eminently crushable - it finishes super dry and crisp but with boatloads of grapefruit and apricot hop flavor. The Kolsch yeast smooths everything out and makes for a much more memorable session ale than most "Session IPAs". I feel the same about Tree House Eureka's blonde undertones. Overall, Boat is really in a class of its own. As my definition of a go-to beer is somewhere in the 4-5% ABV range, this is the best of the best. Not really comparable to your barrel-aged whatevers, nor should it be. I genuinely could not see myself leaving the NJ/NY metropolitan area and not having regular access to this beer in my fridge. Boat is Home.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

4.04/5  rDev -1.5%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

4.1/5  rDev 0%

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

3.74/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

1/2 growler filled at Whole Foods in Yonkers NY

Pours heavily clouded dull and yellow straw in color. Delicate off white head, leaves nice looking high, delicate scattered fields of lacing.

Fruity nose, with melon, grapefruit and some honey.

Brightly fruity and flavorful ale, more grapefruit, nice tropical fruit characteristics.

First brew I've tried from Carton and I'm impressed. Hope to see cans available in my area.

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.69/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is definitely my favorite beer, I even talk about it all the time. This session by Carton has everything I look for in a beer. This is my first time writing on Ba so you might not believe my 5 point rating, so let me explain. First the appearance is uniquely hazy for this type of beer (once a waitress brought me the wrong beer and I knew right away that it was not and boat beer). Secondly the aroma hits you with all kinds of beautiful hop scents, probably because it was dry hopped twice, then taste....it has all the hop flavor that you look for in an ipa but with out the heavy maltiness that might weigh down a beer with a higher alcohol content. This makes it a perfect beer especially if you want to have more than one. Obviously I am a hop head and boat beer appeals to me, but even if you are not a hop head try something from carton brewery. They have many unique delicious innovative beers I am sure everyone would find a beer they love by carton

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Boat Beer from Carton Brewing Company