Boat Beer - Carton Brewing Company

Boat BeerBoat Beer

Carton Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Boat Beer is designed to be complex enough to merit drinking a few without being crippled by alcohol. Kolsch yeast and German malts are combined to be crisp and refreshing, while a generous amount of American hops have been added to keep it remarkable. Expect it to dance out of the glass with a whack of grapefruit and open into a crisp, stony tangle of white and yellow fruit with pine and moss notes. An IPA for everyday drinking, drink boat beer when you are thirsty from softball, fishing, or explaining why your team is best.
Session Ale
ABV: 4.2% | IBU: 35 | SRM: 3.5

Described by the brewer as more of an American Pale Ale. It's not an India Pale Ale.

(Beer added by: Citadel82 on 10-24-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

06-29-2014 21:56:26 | More by JMScowcroft
Googs

06-19-2014 00:45:25 | More by Googs
Gsantollo

I'm not one for typing a lot of words or even writing reviews, especially when it comes to going out of my way to make a profile on a site yada yada yada.... Some history I have been drinking craft beer since I've been 21, my buddy worked in the beer department at whole foods and would always tell me what beers to check out. But I never considered myself a beer snob/nerd to warrant making a profile on beer advocate or even checking out the page (sorry its the truth)

When Carton first showed it's face in my town about two years ago I was immediately impressed. At that time I didn't even own a growler I never needed one. I have enjoyed watching them grow over the passed years and looked forward to their beer one day being in cans.
This past month they made that Happen with their boat beer. I always enjoyed boat beer but it was never my first pick I would always go home with a Sally of something else. Never the less I was really excited to purchase my two case limit and get to drinking. So glad I did, Boat out of a can is simply amazing, it has become my favorite beer hands down. I wouldn't just be saying that I have a steady supply of heady topper, but this takes the cake. BOAT IS KING, the cans themselves are really awesome as well... When they are available don't hesitate head over and grab them, but expect to be standing in line right behind me.

09-16-2013 21:34:09 | More by Gsantollo

BeerRunnerBabe

03-05-2013 17:10:58 | More by BeerRunnerBabe
Super_Six_Two

4.99/5  rDev +22.3%

Boat is the perfect session ale. It packs the aroma and flavor of an IPA into a 4.2% abv package. Now being available in cans, it is clearly my go to beer.

It has a hoppy, grapefruit aroma. It has a clean mouthfeel with a blast of hops going down your throat. Just a great overall beer.

11-10-2013 03:32:04 | More by Super_Six_Two
threeviews

4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from a 2L, growler into a Spiegelau balloon glass

A- Pours a crystal-clear yellow, with 2-fingers worth of a soapy, white head...amazing lacing over the course of the glass.

S- Amazing...he most amazing aroma for a session beer that I have ever experienced! Citrus (orange, white grapefruit, lemon) and tropical fruit (apricot, mango, papaya) in equal amounts...the aroma has you coming-and-going...

T- Oh boy...this is an IPA without being an IPA! Kolsch in style, but hoppy to the point of IPA (or better yet Imperial IPA) in taste. Malt is completely non-existent for the hops to play major fiddle. A bit angular/unbalanced in the taste, but one of the most enjoyable/drinkable/sessionable ales I have every tasted...I can drink this all day, night and them some more.

M- Mouth puckering hoppy goodness with you wanting nothing more than another sip...and with a modest ABV of 4.4%, go ahead and have some more! This is, without question, my favorite session beer...aroma and flavor is will make anyone a fan of hoppy, citrus-forward beers seek this one out...very well done!

Serving type: growler

08-08-2012 23:26:32 | More by threeviews
ItsMe

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured half the tall boy in a nonic pint and drank the other half from the can... Before cracking this open I had been drinking a couple of Mo's and was thinking this session ale wouldn't stand up.... Oh my Buddha was I wrong. This is the most flavorful and aromatic table brew I've ever had. I'm so taken back by how flavorful this is I can't write a proper review. Sorry Founders All Day...your spot in my fridge is reserved for this jersey girl.

04-25-2014 14:39:48 | More by ItsMe
themind

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

This brew pours a murky canal looking golden brown. I really am at a loss at the appearance of this beer, it's odd, Boat Beer? how about canal water. That said the citrus, pine aroma is mouth watering. The mouthfeel is spot on. The taste....well this stuff rocks! what an amazing, grapefruit, assorted citrus, pine blast of hoppiness. I would buy this stuff anytime it is available. Really just an awesome beer.

Bottom Line: This pond water is amazing!this beer can run with the big boys.

Re-rated, this beer is amazing period!

09-25-2013 22:39:22 | More by themind