1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Boat Beer - Carton Brewing Company

Boat BeerBoat Beer

Carton Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.20% ABV

Boat Beer is designed to be complex enough to merit drinking a few without being crippled by alcohol. Kolsch yeast and German malts are combined to be crisp and refreshing, while a generous amount of American hops have been added to keep it remarkable. Expect it to dance out of the glass with a whack of grapefruit and open into a crisp, stony tangle of white and yellow fruit with pine and moss notes. An IPA for everyday drinking, drink boat beer when you are thirsty from softball, fishing, or explaining why your team is best.
Session Ale
ABV: 4.2% | IBU: 35 | SRM: 3.5

(Beer added by: Citadel82 on 10-24-2011)
View: Beers (30) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 335 | Reviews: 57 | Show All Ratings:
Gsantollo

I'm not one for typing a lot of words or even writing reviews, especially when it comes to going out of my way to make a profile on a site yada yada yada.... Some history I have been drinking craft beer since I've been 21, my buddy worked in the beer department at whole foods and would always tell me what beers to check out. But I never considered myself a beer snob/nerd to warrant making a profile on beer advocate or even checking out the page (sorry its the truth)

When Carton first showed it's face in my town about two years ago I was immediately impressed. At that time I didn't even own a growler I never needed one. I have enjoyed watching them grow over the passed years and looked forward to their beer one day being in cans.
This past month they made that Happen with their boat beer. I always enjoyed boat beer but it was never my first pick I would always go home with a Sally of something else. Never the less I was really excited to purchase my two case limit and get to drinking. So glad I did, Boat out of a can is simply amazing, it has become my favorite beer hands down. I wouldn't just be saying that I have a steady supply of heady topper, but this takes the cake. BOAT IS KING, the cans themselves are really awesome as well... When they are available don't hesitate head over and grab them, but expect to be standing in line right behind me.

09-16-2013 21:34:09 | More by Gsantollo
Super_Six_Two

4.99/5  rDev +22.6%

Boat is the perfect session ale. It packs the aroma and flavor of an IPA into a 4.2% abv package. Now being available in cans, it is clearly my go to beer.

It has a hoppy, grapefruit aroma. It has a clean mouthfeel with a blast of hops going down your throat. Just a great overall beer.

11-10-2013 03:32:04 | More by Super_Six_Two
threeviews

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a 2L, growler into a Spiegelau balloon glass

A- Pours a crystal-clear yellow, with 2-fingers worth of a soapy, white head...amazing lacing over the course of the glass.

S- Amazing...he most amazing aroma for a session beer that I have ever experienced! Citrus (orange, white grapefruit, lemon) and tropical fruit (apricot, mango, papaya) in equal amounts...the aroma has you coming-and-going...

T- Oh boy...this is an IPA without being an IPA! Kolsch in style, but hoppy to the point of IPA (or better yet Imperial IPA) in taste. Malt is completely non-existent for the hops to play major fiddle. A bit angular/unbalanced in the taste, but one of the most enjoyable/drinkable/sessionable ales I have every tasted...I can drink this all day, night and them some more.

M- Mouth puckering hoppy goodness with you wanting nothing more than another sip...and with a modest ABV of 4.4%, go ahead and have some more! This is, without question, my favorite session beer...aroma and flavor is will make anyone a fan of hoppy, citrus-forward beers seek this one out...very well done!

08-08-2012 23:26:32 | More by threeviews
EJLinneman

4.72/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the brewery and on tap at Twin Lights Tap House.

Appearance: Cloudy and orange a couple fingers of head. This looks very refreshing.

Smell: HUGE grapefruit smell, Amarillo hops and a very slight grassy smell.

Taste: Again, huge grapefruit taste and Amarillo hops. Very clean and crisp. A long bitterness in the finish. Incredible how much flavor they're able to pack into a 4.2abv beer.

Mouthfeel: Clean and refeshing. I could easily drink a lot of this.

Overall: An incredible beer. I wish that they would bottle or can this. I would drink a lot of this in the summer.

11-01-2011 01:37:15 | More by EJLinneman
themind

4.66/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This brew pours a murky canal looking golden brown. I really am at a loss at the appearance of this beer, it's odd, Boat Beer? how about canal water. That said the citrus, pine aroma is mouth watering. The mouthfeel is spot on. The taste....well this stuff rocks! what an amazing, grapefruit, assorted citrus, pine blast of hoppiness. I would buy this stuff anytime it is available. Really just an awesome beer.

Bottom Line: This pond water is amazing!this beer can run with the big boys.

09-25-2013 22:39:22 | More by themind
smitty23

4.66/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Really enjoyed this brew. trish at Free bridge in Phillipsburg recommended it, and it was worth trying. Reminded me of, dare I say? Heddy topper, not as strong abv but if you enjoy drinking this is really a beer that you could drink all day and live to tell about, probably not get pulled over either. very very tasty.

Really, the only thing i didn't like is the can. I would have never bought it without Trish's recommendation. I'd be interested to see how other folks feel about this particular brew.

03-02-2014 23:30:46 | More by smitty23
BlackDog

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Boat Beer pours a somewhat hazy light golden-orange. There's a large white head with very good retention and great lacing.

The aroma is that of citrus hops and grapefruit. You don't expect this much aroma from a session, but you're glad you get it.

To call this a session IPA is accurate, but maybe a little deceiving. Boat is actually made with a kolsch yeast to make it crisp and refreshing, but the large amount of hops to give the beer flavor make it lean toward IPA. Whatever it is, it's great, with tastes of grapefruit and some pine.

Mouthfeel: Clean, crisp, and refreshing, with a touch of bitterness that stays around for a little in the aftertaste. At 4.2% ABV, it'll be easy to drink a few growlers (remember, Boat isn't canned or bottled yet) of this by the pool this summer.

A great beer from a great brewery, probably the best in Jersey. Once they start canning and growing a bit, watch out, world.

07-21-2013 14:59:39 | More by BlackDog
facundoCNB

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

A - honey/orangy colored body with lots of fluffy foamy head, nice sticky lacing

S - bitter hops galore! cascade/willamette? slightly floral hints

T - slightly bitter, earthy and hoppy, a bit tart from the kolsch yeast, citrusy from the hops

M - fluffy amounts of head stuck to my beard/moustache, nice and fizzy, a little on the dry side towards the end

O - this is a really good pale ale.. perfect taste, smell and mouthfeel.. slightly on the cloudy side which i am honestly fine with, but as a homebrewer always strive for clearer beer!

Updated review for their canned version (first batch). Have had it on tap, growler, at the brewery, and now in can form. Love this beer.

01-27-2012 23:39:53 | More by facundoCNB
MadCat

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Unfiltered yellowy golden color, decent white head, leaves no lacing

Smell: Grapefruit hops upfront, with some pine and herbal in the back

Taste: Very hoppy, again with the grapefruit being the most prominent, then the pine and herbal. Then some bitterness. Not too much, the right amount for the hop blast. Then there is some malt in the back, but not too much. Enough to support the hops.

Mouthfeel: Light body, good carbonation

Overall: This is a fantastic brew. I love it, and I think most who try it would. I, however, am unsure if it supports the price. I will have to evaluate further, and compare to similar brews. This is by far the hoppiest APA I've had.

12-28-2013 03:13:28 | More by MadCat
Citadel82

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Wow!

A Kolsch on Steroids. Pours a hazy sunshine yellow with a Snow-white head. Abundant lacing. Aroma is Grapefruit and other citrus, some pine but all bracingly crisp. Yes yes this one screams summer cooler, lawnmower brew etc. But pair it with fall chili or a fire pit and it is right at home.

Taste is bright and grape-fruity, some cracker and bread (faint) on the back end. light in the mouth, this one dances on the tongue.

Tried this on a searingly hot Jersey day while walking the hounds past the brewery. We peeked in and got the invite...

The rest is history.

Reminds me of Southern Tier Hop Sun another of my all-time faves.

Makes the trip to Atlantic Highlands worth taking...

The beer was served bracingly cold but as it warmed it blossomed.

Looking forward to seeing Boat on tap at the Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club.

10-24-2011 05:12:57 | More by Citadel82
haley744

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Incredible beer. I've always been one for the american pale ale, and now their is a suitable replacement to my lifetime love of sierra nevada pale ale. At first it looks like a cloudy, golden, bluemoonish swill, but my mind is completely switched away from the look of the beer centimeters before i press the glass against my lips. The aroma punches your nostrils with pine and citrus. The taste... completely refreshing and hoppy. I'm just happy to have this at my local watering hole

09-27-2013 20:32:58 | More by haley744
Naugros

4.34/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this in a big-ass handled mug at Cloverleaf in Caldwell, NJ...where I have a lot of the beers I review on-tap.

The smell is really nice, smelling like you were mowing the lawn and accidentally ran over a patch of spearmint. The mint is very subtle, but does temper the fresh-mown grass aroma. Citrus is one of the more dominant senses in the nose and the taste follows the smell. I wanted more balancing malt...it wasn't there in any strength to do it's job, leaving this very light-bodied. The bitterness is pretty nice and refreshing.

My biggest issue with beer was the cloudiness, until I realized that this beer had been inappropriately categorized by whoever added it as a kolsch. That's been changed and i guess an APA is closer. The color is nice and light and the head is pretty high and frothy.

10-29-2011 18:35:45 | More by Naugros
koopa

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Ah the Boat Beer... My favorite thus far (although the fermenter samples of Red Rye that I tried a couple of months ago were great!) from the boys at Carton Brewing. I know some were calling this beer a Kolsch simply because it uses Kolsch yeast, but this beer is simply not a Kolsch. I categorize it more as an extremely hoppy blond. In speaking with Augie and Jesse from Carton, they refer to it as an extra hoppy pale ale. I've had this beer 6+ times at various locations, various freshness levels, etc. This review is for Boat "at it's peak" which is simply awesome!

Appearance: Pours a cloudy pale straw color with a small 1 finger white crown that shows moderate retention and nice lace.

Smell: Loads of citra and centennial hops deliver notes of grapefruit and unsweetened pineapple. The malt profile is minimal, but I'd categorize it as bready if anything.

Taste: Same as the nose with a firm bitterness. Plenty of IBU's shining through this small brew.

Mouthfeel: Thick side of thin bodied with slightly above average carbonation.

Overall: Super drinkable and very hoppy. Nuff said.

Probably my favorite NJ beer and definitely my favorite NJ beer under 5% abv. Kudos to Carton Brewing!

03-12-2012 11:40:12 | More by koopa
HopsYeast

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

A-Pours from a growler with a 1/4 finger white head that quickly fades and leaves a very minimal amount of lacing. Has a mostly clear Light golden color with the most subtle amount of cloudiness.

S-grapefruit, lemon grass, citrusy hops. Something in there is spivey but don't know if my mind is tricking me. Smells so clean and refreshing.

T-subtle notes of hops and citrus. This is day 2 with the growler so flavors may have faded a bit. But the taste Has that similar clean characteristic as the aroma. Very simple but complex as well.

M-perfect. This is so so so so easy drinking. Perfect carbonation for me and the body is medium.

O-what a great beer. I will buying more and more of this.

12-16-2011 00:44:15 | More by HopsYeast
ColForbinBC

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

On-tap, served in a pint glass

The core of the body is dull orange with golden yellow though the outer regions. A foamy paper white cap recedes slowly, leaving some huge chunks of lace on the glass.

Bright hops greet your nose as you lean in. Grapefruit, flowers, herbs, with some fresh pine needles. A light bed of pale malt holds firm, but allows the hops to do their thing.

White grapefruit and pine needles up front with light malt through the middle. The finish is a sweep of citric and pine bitterness with a touch of floral/herbal sweetness. A nice hop punch with a mild bitterness.

Light body and smooth. Creamy feel with perfect carbonation levels.

This might be my new favorite session beer. Nicely hopped without hitting you over the head. Just plain smooth and easy to put back while delivering that hop punch you seek.

12-24-2012 19:38:34 | More by ColForbinBC
Act25

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I give this beer a 4.5 for being a flavorful, true session APA with plenty of bite, bitter, and complexity. If I had to drink beer all day long, this would be for me.

A: Pours a very hazy light blonde with a trace of visible carbonation. It pours into a tulip with a finger of head and leaves lots of dotty lacing.
S: Plentiful aromas of grapefruit, herbal hops and pine resin, stronger as the beer warms. Pleasantly hoppy.
T: The taste follows the smell but the pine resin kicks in stronger and longer. More complexity and a good finish of bitterness. A nice sweet malt underlayer, but hops win the show.
M: It is light-bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Extremely flavorful. This is the hop heads session beer, beats Bitter American which is a close 2nd, but entirely different character.

Visit the Carton brewery when near 07716.

02-14-2014 00:23:42 | More by Act25
VelvetExtract

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

A-Sample from EBF. Pours hazy golden yellow.

S-Boat Beer is a vibrant, citrusy little brew. Lemon, orange and grassy hops. Also picking up some pine as well. I am impressed by the aroma, it's got plenty of pop.

T-After drinking huge beers all night, Boat Beer still manages to slap around my palate with some zesty hoppy flavors. Grassy and citrusy with some tropical fruit notes as well. A crisp grainy finish with a light, thin crackery malt.

M-Lively carbonation. Understated bitterness. Light bodied. Very, very sessionable. I would love to drink this from the can.

O/D-I have wanted to try this one for a while. It did not disappoint. I wish it was distributed in my area because I would buy these all the time.

03-23-2014 22:16:36 | More by VelvetExtract
Omnium

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From Notes:
Served on-tap at House of 1000 Beers

A - Cloudy yellow with one finger of white fizzy head, thing lacing
S - Fresh cut grass, lemon candy, light bread malt
T - A little light peppery spice, crisp grass pine and lemon zest flavor, crackery malt makes the base and pulls it all together.
M - Clean, crisp, light and fresh.
O - Excellent session ale, I was so stoked when I seen this was on the board at Ho1kB. Legit stuff.

04-10-2014 12:46:14 | More by Omnium
beerthulhu

4.19/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Can design reminds me a bit of Sixpoint. Lightly tarnished brass-orange with a slight misty haze with a heavy, quick paced rise of micro-carbonation. Creamy-frothy sea-shell white head is a finger high with a lengthy rate of retention (several minutes). Good spongy ring lace circles.

S: Fresh wet burst of grapefruit juice, orange and pineapple juice fruitiness. Some soft flowery . grapefruit peel, wet citrus and very aroma forward.

T: Lightly tart grapefruit pulp flavor, good sense of bitterness for only 35 ibus. Flowery-orange and grassy pine bitterness is followed by a beautiful warmth of dry hops lingering on the tongue.

M: Crisp mouthful, very tight and tingly, bittering dry grain like feel, very smooth and malty slick consistency.

O: Overall a crazy amount of aroma, flavor hops, and malt depth for a 4.2%abv beer that only claims 35ibus, which drinks light years beyond. The alcohol feels alot bigger in perception, the hops are potent, american citrus flowery hops. Advertised as a session ipa, labeld a apa, this brings a ton of respect for the session <5%abv then most beers much bigger. The bitterness and flavor aspect is very strong and good, seemingly getting stronger as the drink goes on. Keg/case worthy, a session that drinks like a strongly hopped ipa. If this is a session, then im sold.

03-19-2014 22:18:34 | More by beerthulhu
Overlord

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

This is a kolsch! Wow, blurs the line between this style and an IPA.

Pours a light golden yellow with maybe a very faint deeper hue.

Smells like fresh cut grass, lemon rind (??), grapefruit, and a pleasing almost mineral zest. Smell is really, really nice with fresh crisp grapefruit just overflowing one's nostrils.

Taste is really quite nice. Fresh and appealing grapefruit that leans more towards the bitter rind side, more of that zesty lemon/mineral zest/bite, maybe a dash of kind of malt grain-i-ness that's kind of malt liquorish in character ... it's a well put together beer.

Mouthfeel is lively and well carbonated.

**thanks Joe!

12-28-2011 19:38:08 | More by Overlord
dar482

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The beer pours out in a slightly hazy yellow color. A light colored pale ale.

The aroma is very hoppy. Lots of tangerine, orange, a bit of pine, but not spot on the fruits, but hops that imitate that fruit.

The flavor follows with that citrus flavored hops, but also with a good amount of spiciness, slightly herbal. The beer finishes slightly dry with a grainy malt backbone. It's a light malt that this beer has.

It's very refreshing. The beer reminds me a lot of Southern Tier Live or Bitter American. A very light malt pale ale with tons of citrus hops.

07-14-2013 06:46:40 | More by dar482
Ineedabeerhere

Rhode Island

4.15/5  rDev +2%

On tap at the tasting room in Atlantic Highlands, NJ.

Pours a nice golden-yellow with a soapy white foam on top. Aromas are pungent with citrus, especially grapefruit. Nice level of 'punch' to the aroma, touch of grassiness in the background. Taste is not as intense as the aroma might have suggested. Subtler hops flavors, tame bitterness, juicy hop notes in the middle. Light motouhfeel and relatively low carbonation. Starts to shine a bit more aromatically once the temperature rises, but a tasting glass sized portion never lasts that long. This is supremely drinkable.

It could be a touch drier and crisper in the finish, but overall this is a great addition to the growing Monmouth/Ocean County beer scene. I look forward to getting growlers of this to bring to the beach in the summer.

12-29-2011 21:46:23 | More by Ineedabeerhere
Jacobob10

4.15/5  rDev +2%

On-tap @ The Brass Rail in Hoboken, NJ.

Described by the bartender as a "fractional IPA, it's lower in alcohol so you can have several." I'm sold.

Hazy, orange/golden color with a nice white head. Everything about the appearance says witbier. Good head retention and some lacing on the glass. However, any thoughts of this being witbier-esque were thrown out the window as soon as the aroma hits your nose. Fresh hops loaded with pine scream IPA and the flavor followed suit. Nice balance considering the low alcohol and strong hop presence.

This is a unique and refreshing beer, and my first from Carton Brewing. Thumbs up for creativity and following through in executing a full-bodied, sessionable beer. Eager to try more from them.

12-06-2012 16:31:21 | More by Jacobob10
axeman9182

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

This one was on tap at the Cloverleaf, served in a standard pint glass.

Carton Boat pours a very hazy lemon yellow, with about a finger and a half of white foam sitting atop the beer. The head lazily makes its way down the glass, leaving plenty of nice lacing left behind. The nose is a wonderfully fruity citrus bomb. It's redolent of Amarillo hops, and surprisingly pungent. It actually took a little bit of effort for me to pull my nose out of the glass and get down to drinking. There's a bit of cracker malt sweetness leading things off, before all those hops from the nose come barreling through. All the grapefruit and mango promised by the nose is delivered, but the bit of bitterness that floats through mid-palate is just a touch oversized to me. The mouthfeel is nice, light bodied with a subtly bubbly carbonation. Carton's Boat is a very welcome addition to the local scene (especially at $5 a pint), as this mashup of a Kolsch and APA is a mostly successful one.

12-06-2011 02:24:01 | More by axeman9182
RonfromJersey

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Pale ghostly gold with an eerie chill haze. Four fingers of rapidly dcaying white froth. Thin stretched lacing. I like it.

Strong assertive and inviting grapefruit aroma. Aggressive at arm's length.

Opening taste is a bit sugary sweet. Quickly engulfed by juicy citrus fruit, grapefruit and a bit of lemon.. Good bitter bite. Clean finish.

Light mouthfeel, and that is exactly what's wanted here. This beer flows easy so keep it coming.

A tasty, easy drinking sessionable pale ale. Grab a growler for a hot summer day.

06-02-2012 03:44:21 | More by RonfromJersey