Intermezzo - Carton Brewing Company

Carton Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: facundoCNB on 05-26-2013

May is a time for palate cleansing. Stepping past the heavier flavors appealing in the dead of winter, we arrive at the sprightlier flavors of spring and summer. In our attempt to rejuvenate, we interpreted Chef Paul Liebrandt's mid-course of green apple wasabi sorbet as a sour ale. Pureed green apples from France are added to the fermentation in order to define the familiar acidity of a lactic sour, then the beer is "dry-hopped" on fresh wasabi roots. In Intermezzo, sweet and piquant whiffs of real wasabi cleanse the bright tartness of green apple while the nutty finish of the kernel of pale malt is left to eradicate winter's weight. Drink Intermezzo because it is time to refresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj ... 6WbvjLR1Kg
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews by ESeab:
4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

3.81/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I love it compared to the first one but I don't love it. It's super creative, fun and interesting. I liked it but I'm going to reach for other beers first. I'm glad they did it again because it was always the big Carton mess up in my head, and this new one is much much better, so props for improvement. Who knows maybe the next one will be as great as Carton's other stuff. (375 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

4.01/5  rDev +13.6%

3.54/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served 39F in a 16 ounce pint glass.

Unique tasting ale. Although this is a wild ale, there isn't much sour going on here. Has a very vegetal aley flavo, but its kind of dull in comparison to Cartons IPA styled offerings.

Color is very unique just like all Carton offerings. A plazma like translucent yellow.

Nose is kind of floral.

Overall kind of underwhelming for Carton. The flavor profile is boring and bland. By the looks and description I was expecting something like PizzaBoy Eternal Sunshine, but instead it was a floral tasting ale without much malt or yeast character. (585 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +2%

People either love or hate this one. We have some on my friends keg fridge right now and I must say it gets a little more funk behind it after being around for a few months. Sour heads can appreciate it but other's might have some trouble getting past the noise of sour apple and wasabi. It is tart but another refreshing beer and I hope to see it around again next year. (371 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

2.84/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served on-tap. Slightly hazy golden body, no head therefore no lacing or retention. Aromas of wasabi paste, apple and tart grains. Flavor is an immediate hit of wasabi followed by a subtle apple flavor. Finish has a quick tart note and finishes dry. As this warmed the wasabi flavor came out even more. I'm a wasabi fan but this was just downright weird. The 10 oz glass I had was more than enough. Miss. (404 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

From notes a couple weeks ago.
This one was the most challenging review I've done. I had heard wildly mixed reviews, but I try to have a totally open mind, since I don't know what other people set as their standards. I put the tulip to my nose, and the light, mildly hazy liquid assaulted me. The smell was so bad, I actually had to nose it 3-4 times, in a "can this really be happening?" kind of way. I finally let the shock wear off, and took a swig. It had a mildly sour taste, with of course a bit of funk, with a follow of something interesting. Faint, distant, yet decidedly there. It was then I recalled that wasabi was used, and the "ah-hah!" moment kicked in. For the rest of the glass, I literally had to exhale while drinking it to avoid the smell, as it was ruining the complex, layered taste. Give me this again without the stench, and I'd rate it higher, but for me, the nose was so awful it just had to factor in to my overall rating. (949 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

3.69/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

3.99/5  rDev +13%

Oddly refreshing, with a weird but good apple flavor, hint of wasabi (68 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%