Ratings: 263 | Reviews: 179 | Display Reviews Only:
4.29/5 rDev -3.4%
Stopped by hopleaf on a recent trip to Chi town. Just prior to hopleaf I stopped by a modestly impressive bottle shop located nearby (unsure of the name, same intersection)
The bar had an English pub kind of feel walking in, though it was weird being carded at the door before it was even nighttime (midday on a Friday). The bar seats were generally taken, but it was easy enough to grab a table, which had the draught and bottle menus available.
There were many local options available, but I gravitated towards the 3 floyds options, which included zombie dust, yum yum, and fantasmo - all for $6/pint. Yum Yum was a new option for me, so I requested a sample first (1/4 oz pour into a highball glass - barely enough to coat my palate or to get much aroma) and eventually I settled on that option for my full pour. Service was reasonably quick and it was already busy (considering the time of day and location - kind of far North compared to other options). There were no issues using card/closing tab, getting water, using the bathroom, etc.
Unfortunately I didn't stay for a meal.
Overall I'd say this is a worthwhile stop. The taps were selective (including some STL love with their perennial collab hopfentea) and I was able to grab a pint of a fresh local beer I was actually interested in trying with general ease (and for a reasonable price).
Protip: check out some amazing viet food @ tank noodle beforehand and make the reasonable walk from there
08-12-2014 00:30:24 | More by ThePorterSorter
3.43/5 rDev -22.7%
The bottle list is about 80% or more the same as the Belgian bar I worked in Philly. That is to say, for a Belgo-centric bar and beer selection, it has most if not all of the minimum of what should be there. The other 20% being whatever local selections they had.
I visited on a Wednesday toward the end of July. Pretty hip, lively atmosphere. Jazz playing. Seems like a majority of the decor and design in the main front room has a bit of a 40s(?), maybe French/Euro cafe or soda-fountain/drug-store look and vibe. The back of the bar looks genuinely antique, art deco-ish - has some hard wear on the flat-tops flanking the register in the middle. The whole inner bar rail is drain gates - love it!
There's also a sizable back room (that was devoid of people when I was there) and multiple staircases and hallways going down to the toilets. Got a little lost. The whole place was fairly tidy and had an generations-old feel to it that I dig.
Seems like they would also feature a small, decent cocktail list, but I somehow doubt they do. Not that that's pertinent to the review here. Had a Dupont draft, poured flat, right to the top in a footed goblet. I do enjoy head...
Not sold on the quality of personality in the staff though - a bit aloof, a bit like they were 'doing their job' or they either didn't care for the crowd or wanted to be elsewhere. I have days like that myself.
Nothing about this place that would make me want to revisit. Not even the odd, rare draft. I found their draft list extensive, but rather unexciting. But, like I said, I'm quite familiar with all the Belgian bars in Philly, so Hopleaf offered me nothing new.
08-04-2014 21:53:23 | More by Bouleboubier
Hopleaf in Chicago, IL
98 out of 100 based on 263 ratings.