All Funked Up - Scorched Monk - Against The Grain Brewery & Smokehouse

Against The Grain Brewery & Smokehouse visit their website
Kentucky, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: roger617 on 01-31-2014

Slightly sour, slightly smoky ... all after a night of the Vaulted Needles and tight pants.

Our collaboration beer brewed with Urbain Coutteau of de Struise Brouwers, Vletren, Belgium.

Very similar to a flanders oud bruin, this sour mash beer is rich slightly smoky and sour. There is a unique woody flavor from the 4 month bourbon barrel conditioning it underwent. The nose is very light caramel and vanilla. The color is ruby brown to amber. It is brewed similarly to Urbains own Ypres beer, with a Kentucky spin on it.
4.18/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: a deep amber to mahogany color. an aggressive pour yields a two finger head that fades slowly and leaves a slight lacing. fairly hazy and opaque. Fairly good looking and i can attribute the darker color to aging in cypress more that the base beer

Smell: a slight woodeny earthy brett smell, almost a little tart. strong mineral like smell coming through

Taste: fairly clean taste up front, opens up more to lots of wood and earthy tones. very light brett character. light fruitiness. definite mineral quality ending

Mouthfeel: light and crisp, followed by some funkiness. sticky

Overall: I didn't quite expect this beer to be anything like this. the name and label points towards a beer dominated by wild yeast and barrel character. but what it turns out to be is a refreshing and crisp kolsch with influences by wild yeast and cypress. nice touch to a good base beer.

3.34/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into tulip.

A: Pours a darker amber color with very little head that reduces quickly and leaves a thin right around the glass.
S: There's some funk in there. I didn't even notice this is a Kölsch until after I started drinking and reread the label. Surprisingly, I had more appreciation for both aroma and flavor once I came to this realization. It is an odd combination of a Kölsch with funkyness that works.
T: Just like aroma, there is some funk there. For the name, I expected more. The further I get into the glass, the more the base flavor of a Kölsch comes through. Very crisp, and oddly refreshing.
M: Fairly thin, and carbed slightly high. But it's practically a session, so I can't say I was expecting the opposite.
O: I found myself surpsised with this beer twice. At first I was surprised at the level of funk presence in both the aroma and taste. This was a disappointing surpsise. As I sipped through, I was equally surprised at how this beer grew on me. I would not say it overwhelms on any level. I will say that it is very drinkable, and one that I ended up enjoying quite a bit.

All Funked Up - Scorched Monk from Against The Grain Brewery & Smokehouse
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.