Conductor's Craft Ale - Junction Craft Brewing

good

Junction Craft Brewing visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

Conductor’s Craft Ale fits broadly into the pale ale category, though we think of it more as a hybrid of traditional British, German, and American brewing techniques used to arrive at a hop complexity that constantly changes in the glass as it warms up and a drinker drinks more. With Conductor’s we wanted to tip our hats to ‘pioneer’ craft beers like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Anchor Liberty Ale, but at the same time the beer had to be balanced and drinkable to allow a drinker to enjoy more than one.

We used 5 different malts from Germany, France, Britain and Canada to give Conductor’s a biscuity, toasted, caramel base, and a combination of 5 different hops from Germany, the Czech Republic and the Pacific Northwest of the USA. To finish the beer we designed and built in-house a ‘hopback’ mechanism that infuses the hop aromas into the beer in line from the kettle as the beer goes into the fermenter. We use whole leaf hops of Cascade and spicy German Tetnanger in the hopback to provide a unique and intense hop aroma that is familiar but uniquely presented.

Sometimes a lot of thought goes into making something simple and enjoyable. The way we look at it, we do the thinking so you can relax and enjoy the drinking.

(Beer added by: Sammy on 09-25-2011)
2.28/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

See: Looks good in my mug. I love the long lasting suds and their white sand color. Beautiful lacing around the majority of the glass. A 1/4 inch border with a nice healthy film seems to want to stay, so i'll try not to drink it away.

Hear: This beer screams, "drink me already, will ya?" I reply, "no, I have to smell you first".

Smell: Kinda sharp... burns my eyes. 'Yikes', I think. I whiff again and ..mmm....coffee with 2 creams and 1 1/2 sugar. Now I'm getting Coffee Crisp chocolate bar. My fave.

Taste: Oh man... Should have quit while this beer was (or should i say "had") a head. So bitter from the start. "Ealghhchxsh!" Honestly, I don't even want to drink any more of it. I will, though, because it still looks so good. ..."mmmgff"...It tastes like the floor of my attic (and the only reason I know how that tastes, is because i tripped on something up there and did a lip stand). Actually, .."chplag", this beer reminds me of the stuff my Mom used to put on my fingernails to keep me from biting them when I was 13. That is exactly what this is like! ...Ok, I just burped...thanks God, for not letting it be worse. Hey, ..its better. My burp is better than the beer, itself. Interesting...

Feel: Don't even ask me what my mouth feels like, right now.

Blanket: Yes please, so I can cover it up.

AKA: Better Burp

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

2.9/5  rDev -16.9%

Got this one at the LCBO. Cool looking can for sure.

From a 16oz can into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, slightly looser, off-white head with decent retention. Burnt orange in color, clear, with lower levels of carbonation. Head fades to a thin film. Only a ring remains until the end leaving dots of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Pale malts, caramel notes, some light citrus aromas, but slightly mute, unfortunately.

TASTE: Better than the nose. Pale malts, some caramel sweetness up front, then some hop bitterness at the swallow. Light caramel, bread notes and decent floral hops linger on the palate. Good bitterness as well, despite the lower IBU.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Semi-creamy on the palate, goes down fine and finishes dry on the palate.

OVERALL: Okay. Better than some of the generic pale ales on the market, but still nothing really worth writing home about. It had enough character to make me want to finish the can, but not enough to make me want to go back.

3.06/5  rDev -12.3%

Great looking beer. Clear amber with a good head that settles to a heavy film and leaves really good lace.

After that, straight average. Mild caramel nose. Nicely bitter to drink, some caramel, but not tons going on otherwise. Bitterness from hops lingers, quite dry ultimately. But some odd taste note to it as well. An uneventful brew.

3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

On-tap at Beerbistro in Toronto.

A: Crystal clear pale copper body under a finger of ultrafine tan head. Great retention, lots of delicate lace. Excellent.

S: Buttery and biscuity. Diacetyl and malt are both prominent, with vaguely herbal hops in the distant background. I suppose it's an ok aroma for an English-style Pale Ale, but it certainly isn't what I was expecting based on the description.

T: Better here, with the German hops giving some nice spicy, leafy notes up front before the buttered toast flavor of the malt can take over. Bittersweet finish with some lingering herbal hoppiness. Not my favorite take on the style, but drinkable enough.

M: Lively, frothy light-to-medium body. Insubstantial to a fault.

O: It's not a bad beer by any stretch, but it's certainly no better than average overall. 3 it is.

Cheers!

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

On tap at the Burger Bar. A little cheezy aroma. one-quarter of an inch of retained head. Lacy. More hop taste as it warms. Decent and drinkable, IBu tastes in the 50-60 Ipa range from use of a melange of 5 hops.Serviceable amber ale.Average mouthfeel.
I had this on tap several weeks later at the Hole in the Wall and it was better. Still the aroma..

3.36/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

473ml Can from the Ottawa LCBO for $2.50

Appearance - Clear amber/copper colour with a small size fizzy beige coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 2-3 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel/toffee, hops

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel/toffee and hops. There are some very faint grapefruit, grass, and some metallic notes. It ends with a malty/buttery aftertaste with some lingering astringent hop bite.

Overall - More english in style than american. An okay beer but nothing excting by any means. I feel there are already more than enough beers that taste along the same lines as this one available to me locally.

3.41/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Purchased a bottle at the brewery despite not having been blown away after trying it at a couple of different draught taps...

Bottle pours a beautiful amber colour with an impressive white head that has good retention and resultant lacing - a good looking beer. Aroma is very grain-forward, with barely a hint of hops. The flavour is likewise focused on malted barley, albeit with a hint of hibiscus and pine that at least indicate hops have been used. Ends with a surprisingly decent bitterness that lingers...

Not the "hop bomb" APA for which I'd hoped, but a well balanced brew that might act as a decent gateway beer to get those with unadventurous palates into the world of craft brewing.

3.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I had been hoping to get to the brewery for this one and was surprised to see this show up in the LCBO.

Opening the tallboy can made a real foamy mess. I got it into the tumbler but lost some of the head and aroma.

A nice toffee amber colour with a one inch head of large bubbles. Some bubbles stuck on the side of the glass too. Good lacing with retention.

A sweet bready malt aroma with lemon citrus but not bitter.

I expected a strong malt taste but was disappointed. The hops dominated with a tart broccoli taste. Grassy, piney and grapefruit hops were all rolled together. The malt was present with rye bread with a touch of toffee.

A medium feel but it seemed a bit flat.

A well balanced ale that was much more in the British tradition than American. A second step into the world of craft beer after the entry level. A beginner's ale.

3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

Orangey amber in colour, with a small but solid white head. Very good retention.

Smell is biscuity and caramel malt with some earthy hop scents.

Taste is similar. Biscuity malt, bready. Earthy, grassy hop flavours are prominent and result in a mild bitterness.

Chewy, medium bodied. Highly carbonated- too much. I found it rather irritating. Would probably go down much better on cask.

Overall, decent beer, but nothing special. I wouldn't have called this an Amber, maybe an APA, though it strikes me as rather British in flavour.

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Copper with a light haze, no carbonation, 4 fingers of light beige head, leaving a lacing of a woven like pattern.

S: Honey comb, light fruity orange, caramel, little red pepper.

T: Light honey quality, a dry tea like quality, little metallic finish on the first sip. Didn't get it afterwards though.

M: Medium light body with little carbonation. Relatively drying and tannic.

O: Not a bad brew. Bought and drank in Ontario, Aug 26th 2014.

Conductor's Craft Ale from Junction Craft Brewing