Point The Way IPA - Golden Road Brewing

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 10-17-2011

to view more.
Ratings: 398 | Reviews: 77
4.08/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Golden with a smooth white head that faded to a sheet of lace.

Smell: Subdued hops - mainly citrus, a little fruity and resiny.

Taste: Moderately bitter up front, continues with the mainly citric hop taste, balanced well by the malt backbone - wheaty. Not too much residual hop taste, but enough to remind you you’re drinking an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Moderately thick with lots of fine carbonation.

Overall: Good relaxed IPA, offering plenty besides just hops.

Not a bad beer..not great either

Tony (the brewery owner) loves IPAs, but also tends to cater more to the mass market

Golden Road is the first major Los Angeles craft brewer

Los Angeles has been a bit late to the craft beer party..San Diego and Nor Cal breweries set the standard of excellence

This is a "teaser" or "gateway" beer.

It's designed to be sold in supermarkets and to give the BudMillerCoors drinkers an alternative that's not too extreme or scary

Its an OK beer, will do in a pinch..but by no means a great IPA

..and..BTW..Golden Road's "special release" IPAs are amazing. They know how to brew a killer IPA, but for now, have decided to play the game this way

I wish them luck and success

4.05/5  rDev +13.1%

Not the best IPA. Not something to remember.

3.83/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Extra from Orthodoxkardia.

16oz can pours a semi hazy golden orange color with an inch of creamy head. Tons of lacing.The aroma is citrus and tropical fruits. Orange, mango, pineapple and tangerine with some light floral notes. Toasted malts as well. The taste is more floral and piney than the aroma indicated. Some mango and tangerine as well as a good amount of malts. Piney hop finish with some tangerine. Minimal alcohol presence. Medium bodied. Overall, a pleasant surprise and a pretty solid IPA.

3.06/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours clear amber with a finger of head and good retention. Pine, passion fruit, and a brassy citrus note on the nose. Flavors are muted citrus, bread, bitter hop finish that lingers. Crisp champagne carbonation and a dry mouthfeel.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pint can poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours crystal clear golden yellow with a frothy off white head that settles and laces lightly.

S: Light citrus hops, maybe a hint of pineapple, a little fruitiness, and some light caramel malt sweetness.

T: Citrus hops, light grapefruit, tangerine, a little lemon grass, some fruitiness, maybe even a hint of tropical fruit, a touch of pine, and some light caramel malt sweetness.

M: Light to medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: Pretty light easy drinking IPA. Not bad, but nothing special either.

3.59/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Malty. Not super hoppy. A delicious and enjoyable beer if you are in LA you Should have this beer.

3.61/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Good initial hoppy taste but it just falls flat. Very watery finish. Would rather prefer ponto from pizza port

3.89/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours amber with a fading head.
Nose shows herbal, piny and spicy hops along with slightly sweet biscuity malt.
Pretty hoppy flavours, mainly sticking to piny and spicy hops. Some soft clean malt in the background.

2.74/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Virtually no aroma. Mild, with a hint of bitterness in the finish.

A little dry, but nicely balanced between the bitter and aroma hops. Very drinkable.

3.36/5  rDev -6.1%

a: super clear staw colored with some dark orange notes. head is solid, frothy & white

s: smells better than i was expecting. mango, passionfruit, pineapple - pineapple is dominant. a faint caramel-syrup presence in here as well

t: flavor is a bit of a let down from the aroma. the flavor kind of punches you with bitterness, but not from any of the tropical fruits i was hoping for. i can't even really put my finger on something to associate with the bitterness besides it being bitter. there is that light caramel malt in here as well, but its overshadowed

m: light mouthfeel, well carbonated

o: aroma and mouthfeel are good but flavor is way too one-dimensional in its bitterness. no depth in here…maybe i have a bad keg or something? based on what i have in front of me, you're much better off going with another option

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

Had a pint of this in LAX while waiting for a flight. Pours a 1" head. Nice lacing throughout session. Slight hop grapefruit aroma. Nice balance to this beer. Malt backbone is there and not overwhelmed by hops and bitterness. Good body and mouthfeel as well. Bitterness on the palate after. Overall good IPA.

2.25/5  rDev -37.2%

A: light golden, little head, not much carbonation

S: dank ness, a very little tropical fruit, a little fresh cut grass

T: honestly not much taste when having it in draft. A little hop bitterness, fairly smooth

M: not much carbonation

O: honestly don't know anything about golden road but not impressed with this IPA. Hopefully this was a fluke, I was not impressed

3.71/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a finger and half of head on a clear straw colored body.
The aroma is a nice citrus smell. Easy.
The taste is bold but balanced. Lots of lemon and grapefruit bitterness with a touch of pineapple.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It's a tasty IPA.

3.58/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Light amber coloring and a slight head.

S: Bitter, piney -- not overwhelming at all, but it's there.

T: Citrus and pine, but very nicely balanced. Not at all over-powering with hops or malt.

M: Medium body with a slight bitterness at the end; some mild carbonation as well.

O: A nice, light IPA that possesses some pleasant hoppy bitterness. Not a brew that overwhelms with flavor, but an enjoyable drink day or night. Don't turn this one down, especially lately. New recipe implemented in the past year has really allowed this beer to help itself out in the market.

2.46/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a light amber color from a can nice color.

Smells almost soapy with some fruitiness in there too.

Taste is pure bitter with little to no hop flavor. This beer is very dry but lacks the fruity flavor I expect in an ipa. Some late hop additions would help to add hop character without abrasive bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Pleasant on a hot day.

Overall this was a drain poor for me. This beer would probably be a decent Pale ale but is massively out classed with all the competition out there today. I want to like this brewery but I feel marketing is their main concern with the beer a close second. Nice packaging though....

3.02/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: transparent amber color with a one finger head that dissipates. Leaves a bit of lacing behind.

Smell: Citrus, piney and floral

Taste: Has a nice hop character to it and bit of tart to go along with it. Not as hoppy as I'd expected it to be.

Mouthfeel: light, very drinkable and refreshing but a bit soppy.

Overall: This IPA is a bit on the tamer side and in my opinion it doesn't really stand out from the crowd. I guess I still yearn for IPAs with much more complexity to it. Overall it's a refreshing beer to have. I don't think I will go looking for this one again. Its OK. Not bad and nothing special either.

3.76/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Transparent copper, amber with thick white head and excellent lacing

S: not much there. Would be a good pale ale, but needs more for an IPA. Citrus and hint of pine as it warms.

T: Citrusy hops and some nuttiness

M: very dry. Modest carbonation

O: a very good pale ale. Mislabeled as an IPA

4.15/5  rDev +15.9%

Ah yes, it is time again for New Woody's CANned Beer Sunday (Week 0005?) being as how I was disinvited from the original thread by threat and force. As such, I am inclusional and welcome others to join me in an impassioned quest to review CANned beers on The CANQuest (TM), a misguided effort to review all CANned beers.

From the CAN: "At Golden Road Brewing, we love the hoppy goodness of today's Californian IPAs. When I asked Meg and Tony to taste a pilot batch that captured those flavors with a 5.2% alcohol content, they immediately responded, 'Point the Way.' Cheers, [undersigned] John Carpenter".

What a loud Crack! I may be more penetrable (as opposed to impenetrable) than usual, following a tough day of real ale.

I held an inverted Glug much closer to my laptop than I should have, following an aggro pour that partially went into my keyboard and rendered me (and it) inoperable for an extended period. It was actually a blessing in disguise as I got a new keyboard and a buncha memory from my tech and this baby is flying! I plan to make up for lost time as a result.

I ended up with a finger of dense, tawny head that looked like the top of a soft-serve hervanilla ice cream cone. Apparently, the current mayor (not for much longer, if I have anything to do with it) got a noise ordinance passed that prohibits Mr. Softee from playing his truck's music after 8 PM. Me = sad. I was brightened up by the oh-so-slightly-hazy deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) ale in my glass, however. Nose smelled of pine forest, which was curious, since the CAN depicted palm trees. I spent over half of my naval career in Cali and not once did I get a scent from a palm tree! There was also a nice caramel presence underlying the hops and when I looked over, my left arm had been miraculously tied off with my belt.

Did I mention that I am not just a hophead? I am a self-avowed hops junkie, albeit on a maintenance program. I ran down the rabbit hole, following that hot little blondie named Alice, a while back and soon found that there was no coming back. The raging, screeching monkey on my back has subsided, but I CAN no longer experience hoppy beers in the same nonchalant way as I used to.

Pulling the needle from the vein and the glass from my lips, I sat back, breathless. Oh, man. Jeez, Louise, it's a gas when I geez. The mouthfeel was soft and pillowy, caressing my tongue like the gentlest of lovers with my genitals. Schlitz used to talk of "Just a kiss of hops", but this was like a French Kiss! It rolled around on my tongue like a new girlfriend on high thread count sheets, languoring and rubbing around. This would be in stark (naked) CANtrast to some AIPAs that came on like gangbusters, kicking my teeth in, scrubbing the enamel off of them and then setting to work on my poor, bruised tongue with jackhammers. Speaking of jackhammers, I looked over at the now half-full (optimist) glass and the lacing that had formed was going to take a jackhammer to remove!

Coming from L. A., I began to hear Jim Morrison singing to me. Point (me) The Way to the next AIPA ... Oh, don't ask why.

Man, if I had known that I was going to be spiking it tonight, I would never have dropped a quarter-tab on my way home. This wasn't a beer, it was a happening. I called my babes-in-waiting, Gayle and Emma, and upon arrival, they set to work. They dig my action, just the way that I was digging this beer. The finish was earthy, which was mind-blowing, thanks to its being unexpected. Remember, kids, it's only kinky the first time. The ladies were likewise earthy, as expected and only kinky to the uninitiated.

Wow, this beer made me want to revisit L. A. and I don't know that I have ever said such a thing. Maybe I'll give fellow Stiller fan Snoop a ring-a-ding and see what his gig is like. I know that he is an herbalist. Onward!

3.21/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured on tap into a small plastic cup at Dodger Stadium.

The beer is a bright pale yellow with a pure white foamy head that doesn't last too long, but hey it's in a plastic cup so whatever.

Smells very fresh and piney.

Taste is middle of the road with a definite bitterness subdued a bit by some bread and a bit of sweetness. Finishes really dry leaving you wanting another sip.

Pretty good way to wash down a dog, a good game, and a nice view at this stadium. A very welcome addition among the Mexican lagers and typical BMC domestics. In fact, I wouldn't turn this down outside of the stadium. While there are better IPAs out there, this one can hit the spot.

3.34/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Glassware: New Belgium Chalice Glass

Aroma: Smells of pine, kind of bitter.

Taste: Very resinous, orange peel, lemon bitter punch.

Overall: For a canned IPA, I was pleasantly surprised by this and this seems like the kind of beer you take to a park/beach/forest on a hot relaxing day.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Another beer coming my way courtesy of the legendary woodychandler. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a beige color with a 1 inch head and some floaties. Lots of sticky lacing. Smell has lots of citrusy hops. Taste is hoppy, bitter, some citrus, tasty and refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.67/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Cloudy gold color with generous foam and very good lacing.

Smell: Pine and citrus.

Taste: A good balance of hops and malt. Pine, citrus, and caramel predominate.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with only a slight bitter aftertaste.

The Verdict: Not bad. This California IPA is for people who don't like a hop bomb. It's almost more of a pale ale than an IPA. Very nicely balanced, very mild.

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This review is of the “new and improved” Point the Way.

I’m a little disappointed. The cans have a date stamp of 04.03.2013, however the box they came in were stamped 4.30.2013. That’s the difference of a month, and a big difference when it comes to wanting to drink something on the fresher side. (I made my purchase and had the first of the four pack on June 1, 2013.)

From the can this beer just doesn’t do all that much for me. But poured a golden color in a pint glass with two full fingers of foam that dies down in minutes this has some life left in it. I actually enjoyed the aroma once it opened up. It's citrusy & piney, with some orange zest and pine needle. The pine dominates the flavor with a rounded citrusy sweetness on the end and a piney, pleasingly bitter finish. More enjoyable than I had expected.

A tall boy of a sessionable friendly 5.2% ABV IPA from Los Angeles? Sign me up!

Only downside was the date stamped at the bottom of the can—1.31.2012—which places this at least 6 months past the bottling date. (Or longer, if it is a “fresh-by” date). Didn’t think to check at the store. Oh well.

Appearancewise this beer looks good. It poured with a generous three fingers of foam that dissipated and compacted into a tight white lace of bubbles atop a clear, bronze glass of beer.

There’s a nice aroma of citrus and pine notes with some orange zest hiding in the back. To be honest, this beer smells nice for a pale ale… I imagine that fresh the aroma is even more spectacular.

The flavor has a light bitterness –pleasing to sip and share with a non-hop head, in fact—and a sweet rounded citrus. Tangerine, perhaps, or some Minneola tangelo hybrid that I can’t place. It’s pretty laid back and mellow, the opposite of a bold, aggressive west coast IPA. But then again, I wonder how much of that has to do with the time this brew has had to chill out.

I’d certainly, gladly try this one again. A surprise pick and a surprise that it’s held up so well.

to view more.