Point The Way IPA - Golden Road Brewing

good

good

Golden Road Brewing visit their website

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 10-17-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Point The Way IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 408 | Reviews: 78
4.74/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have gone back to this beer over and over again. My taste has conformed to citra hoppy flavors with that strong special smell. I have a hard time finding beers that give me what I am looking for. It is not even a dollar amount at this point, it is a yearning. Starting off with flavors from Halo, then Double Jack and even lighter beers like Ranger and my favorite limited brew x-114, Point the Way gives me what I yearn. I cannot wait to visit the pub. It is only about 1 hour from home. If you can find it (I get mine at Trader Joes, but randomly) try it. If you like any of the beers I listed, you will enjoy it. Cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +31.3%

A nice light IPA with a big IPA nose.

a - copper with a thick white head

s- hops all the way, chinook and cascade, maybe some simcoe

t- hop driven over a nice toasted maltiness

m-a little thinner than i expected but a great chugger

o- very easy to drink and delightfully hoppy

4.52/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a six pack at the brewery at their grand opening event on Sunday.

I tried a bunch of beers while I was there and this was my favorite.

The cans are 16oz which is nice.

The beer is exactly what it is billed to be. A west coast style india pale ale with less booze but lots of flavor.

4.32/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a pint can into a smaller glass at the Courtyard Marriott in Culver City, Calif. Less than an inch of head. Color was honey amber. Light gray lacing that dissipated very quickly except some light thin spots. Very little film on the side of the glass, just a slight haze.

Really dug the smell. Got a sweet orange citrus flavor up front and then walloped with hops on the back end. Seemed to be some caramel in there. In fact, together it reminded me a bit of the original Sparks.

Surprisingly the opposite of the smell. Got a bitter hops taste right away, giving way to a smooth, orange/tangerine finish. Really digging the taste as well.

Medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Long bitter finish.

Really liked this beer. I love how the orange, tangerine and citrus hops coincide with the bitterness. Want to take some home with me.

4.32/5  rDev +20.7%

A-Golden amber/tad of burnt orange, tightly packed but moderately thin head that stuck around and stained the glass a bit!

S-I love me some citric hops...I love me some malt to support the citric hops, and I love when there is a promise of bitterness to follow this portion of the review...

T-....Yup...got some orange to match the appearance, some pine, grapefruit, and...wait...this is a borderline session IPA...awesome! So you get this nice little bight at the end that would usually accompany a higher ABV IPA but this one has a nicely packed malt sweetness that punches right after the bitter finish. COOL.

M-Relatively lighter than Burning Bush and the Hefe if I remember correctly, but we're talking a 5.2%'er against an 8%er and a hefe, which has a nice bit of diastic enzymes giving the 'pillow' for your palate. I'd say its a damn fine beer and it will be revisited.

O-As mentioned before, nice and low in alcohol. I've been tending away from stronger beer lately and have been looking for an IPA that can hang with my hop addiction. Here we go.

4.24/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- Pours a sparkling orangish red with 2 fingers of fine light tan foam that lingers and leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Aroma- Grapefruit, citrus pine, candied apple,

Taste- The begining is bitter like a pink grapefruit with a touch of pith. Very floral and soapy. It gives way to light carmel malts in the finish that lead to a light citrusy hop character. What a great beer.

Mouthfeel- spritzy light to medium bodied this IPA isn't bogged down with booze. The Hops to linger a bit at the end.

Overall- Maybe I am biased but I like this hometown brew, a sessional IPA is just what the Westcoast needed! It would go good with spicy tacos, BBQ, Thai food, but it stands on its own and it is considerably lacking in Arrogance!

As of 5/18/13
I have tried the canned version of this under the new head brewer and find the new formula to be considerably lacking in flavor of the original. I heard changes were made to improve shelf stability, increase the alcohol and use more cost effective hops ( not Nelson Sauvin). I think these changes are unfortunate.

Some articles regarding the new head brewer said that the changes were made because not enough time had lapsed to build brand allegiance. I say that in a craft beer desert that is Los Angeles , bonds are formed very rapidly with what is available. I miss the Old Point the Way,
Heck I miss the old Heff....

4.2/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

According to their facebook page this was canned like last week since they just started to 12-pack them with a "revamped" recipe. This is the 5.9% abv one. Bought it at the brewery.
Appearance is ok. Poured from can into a pint glass, half an inch white foam dissipates pretty quckly. Color is bright light golden.
Smell is great, resin, citrus, orange, pretty happy dank tropical fruit, man, I love it already.
Taste is great too. Very similar to what I was expecting from the smell. Bitterness is spot on. According (again) to their facebook they removed Crystal malt from their recipe, resulting in a drier IPA that let hops shine. Well, it is nicely dry and crispy, very hoppy, but with that amount of hops I think I'd enjoyed some more body. But if that means "go back to the previous recipe", nope. give me more of this one.
Mouthfeel is dry at first, then bitter, then oily. Not bad at all. Too light, maybe.
Overall, this is a great IPA right in the middle of a session beer and a well craft West Coast hoppy goodness.
This one was very fresh too, but I had to find that out.... through facebook again. i hope they start labeling their canning date.

4.2/5  rDev +17.3%

A - Pours a clear amber-orange with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of grapefruit, citrus, grassy, and pine hops with some sweet caramel malts.

T - Starts off with a mix of grapefruit, orange, and citrus hops with some bitterness and some sweet caramel malts. Through the middle, the pine and grassy hops come through with some more resiny bitterness and a bit of bready malts. The finish is a mix of grapefruit and piney hops with some resiny bitterness and some sweet caramel malts.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a dry and bitter finish.

D - Very drinkable. Nice resiny hop profile and good bitterness.

4.16/5  rDev +16.2%

It is a great starter IPA. If you have a friend that is not "in to" IPAs then this is the one to get them on the right path. It points the way to the beautiful world that is hoppiness. I am fortunate to work a mile from this brewery and I am hooked. Now that their canning system is up and running I definitely stop by to take some home.

It is not a Pliny or Mongo but it does have a flavor that makes it best when eating. I find the subtle floral aroma and smooth taste please the palate nicely.

Give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers!

4.15/5  rDev +15.9%

Ah yes, it is time again for New Woody's CANned Beer Sunday (Week 0005?) being as how I was disinvited from the original thread by threat and force. As such, I am inclusional and welcome others to join me in an impassioned quest to review CANned beers on The CANQuest (TM), a misguided effort to review all CANned beers.

From the CAN: "At Golden Road Brewing, we love the hoppy goodness of today's Californian IPAs. When I asked Meg and Tony to taste a pilot batch that captured those flavors with a 5.2% alcohol content, they immediately responded, 'Point the Way.' Cheers, [undersigned] John Carpenter".

What a loud Crack! I may be more penetrable (as opposed to impenetrable) than usual, following a tough day of real ale.

I held an inverted Glug much closer to my laptop than I should have, following an aggro pour that partially went into my keyboard and rendered me (and it) inoperable for an extended period. It was actually a blessing in disguise as I got a new keyboard and a buncha memory from my tech and this baby is flying! I plan to make up for lost time as a result.

I ended up with a finger of dense, tawny head that looked like the top of a soft-serve hervanilla ice cream cone. Apparently, the current mayor (not for much longer, if I have anything to do with it) got a noise ordinance passed that prohibits Mr. Softee from playing his truck's music after 8 PM. Me = sad. I was brightened up by the oh-so-slightly-hazy deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) ale in my glass, however. Nose smelled of pine forest, which was curious, since the CAN depicted palm trees. I spent over half of my naval career in Cali and not once did I get a scent from a palm tree! There was also a nice caramel presence underlying the hops and when I looked over, my left arm had been miraculously tied off with my belt.

Did I mention that I am not just a hophead? I am a self-avowed hops junkie, albeit on a maintenance program. I ran down the rabbit hole, following that hot little blondie named Alice, a while back and soon found that there was no coming back. The raging, screeching monkey on my back has subsided, but I CAN no longer experience hoppy beers in the same nonchalant way as I used to.

Pulling the needle from the vein and the glass from my lips, I sat back, breathless. Oh, man. Jeez, Louise, it's a gas when I geez. The mouthfeel was soft and pillowy, caressing my tongue like the gentlest of lovers with my genitals. Schlitz used to talk of "Just a kiss of hops", but this was like a French Kiss! It rolled around on my tongue like a new girlfriend on high thread count sheets, languoring and rubbing around. This would be in stark (naked) CANtrast to some AIPAs that came on like gangbusters, kicking my teeth in, scrubbing the enamel off of them and then setting to work on my poor, bruised tongue with jackhammers. Speaking of jackhammers, I looked over at the now half-full (optimist) glass and the lacing that had formed was going to take a jackhammer to remove!

Coming from L. A., I began to hear Jim Morrison singing to me. Point (me) The Way to the next AIPA ... Oh, don't ask why.

Man, if I had known that I was going to be spiking it tonight, I would never have dropped a quarter-tab on my way home. This wasn't a beer, it was a happening. I called my babes-in-waiting, Gayle and Emma, and upon arrival, they set to work. They dig my action, just the way that I was digging this beer. The finish was earthy, which was mind-blowing, thanks to its being unexpected. Remember, kids, it's only kinky the first time. The ladies were likewise earthy, as expected and only kinky to the uninitiated.

Wow, this beer made me want to revisit L. A. and I don't know that I have ever said such a thing. Maybe I'll give fellow Stiller fan Snoop a ring-a-ding and see what his gig is like. I know that he is an herbalist. Onward!

4.09/5  rDev +14.2%

Imbibed at Gden Road Brewery on 11/4/12.

Pours a very clear amber, almost copper metallic color with a thin layer of white head. Not much lacing to speak of. The nose starts with lots of grapefruit, lemon, and light citrus notes. I get a little bit of almond nuttiness in the malt but not much else. What it lacks in depth it makes up for in brute force. Taste starts somewhat nutty with wheat bread flavors. The hops are soapy and aggressively bitter, especially for the amount of malt in it. It's grassy and reminiscent of summer in a bright flavor kind of way. Feel is balanced, finish somewhat dry.

This is a really solid IPA. It has a lot of the bitterness and hop aroma & flavor that imperial IPAs have, with a fraction of the malt to counter it. Really impressive.

4.08/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Golden with a smooth white head that faded to a sheet of lace.

Smell: Subdued hops - mainly citrus, a little fruity and resiny.

Taste: Moderately bitter up front, continues with the mainly citric hop taste, balanced well by the malt backbone - wheaty. Not too much residual hop taste, but enough to remind you you’re drinking an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Moderately thick with lots of fine carbonation.

Overall: Good relaxed IPA, offering plenty besides just hops.

4.05/5  rDev +13.1%

Not the best IPA. Not something to remember.

4.04/5  rDev +12.8%

Can courtesy of Nosignsofpain. Thanks Sam!

A - Pours a clear light copper with a soapy white head that settles to a frothy cap, leaving lots of sticky lacing in its wake.
S - Easily the most tropical-smelling IPA I've ever encountered, this smells like it was fermented with passion fruit juice (this is not a bad thing, I love passion fruit). Pineapple, peach, and mandarin orange round out the nose, along with a touch of sweet malt.
T - While still fairly pungent and tropical, the taste is a bit of a letdown from the nose. Still getting some passion fruit, papaya, pineapple, and orange peel, but no where near as intense as the nose. Lightly toasted caramel malt provides a nice backdrop. Man, so close...
M - Smooth and crisp, with a medium body and good carbonation. Very refreshing and drinkable, I could easily have a couple of these.
O - A really nice IPA, if only the taste lived up to the phenomenal nose! This may be a brewery to keep an eye on!

A little dry, but nicely balanced between the bitter and aroma hops. Very drinkable.

Poured from a 16oz can into two pint glasses. Special thanks to HeatherAnn for bringing a 6er of this back from Cali!

Canned on: 02.27.2012

A: Pours with a perfectly hazed clarity. A smallish, just off-white layer of foam quickly disappears and leaves a thin collar in its' wake.

S: Big blast of piney hops when it's being poured. As it settles in, it takes on a strong orange/tangerine/clementine aroma.

T: The taste follows the smell very closely. Interestingly enough, it also features an almost hefe-like yeastiness. Odd, but not unwelcome.

M: Slick and oily with sub-bracing levels of bitterness. Finishes bold and fruity with a nice level of spiciness.

O: A nice new player on the LA scene. Hopefully H & T will see fit to send more our way!

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

I poured it from a can in to a perfect pint glass. It was a nice deep yellow with a thin head that went quickly. I really like the flavor profile the hops are nicely balanced with the malt creating a nice citrusy beverage that is not off putting to newbies of the style.

With that out of the way this is a session IPA. The ABV is relitively low in comparison to say a Stone IPA. The hops play better with the malts. A True California IPA it is not but for a beer that bridges the gap for hardcore beer drinkers and new craft enthusiasts this is up there with the best. To attest the drinkability of it I bought a 4 pack of pint cans and easily drank them in about 2 hours. To top it off I had my wife try some and she even liked it . I say give it a try I will again.

3.92/5  rDev +9.5%

On Tap

Golden Road Brewing Grand Opening Party
Golden Road Brewing
Los Angeles, CA

Clear orange and amber with a medium-sized eggshell-white head. Decent retention and lines of lacing left down the glass.

An incredible aroma, especially for such a low-ABV IPA. There's lots of hop character leaping form the glass: pungent grapefruit, tropical orange, and a hint of pine. There's a bit of sweet caramel and pale malt as well.

The taste is just a touch disappointing after such a nice aroma. Moderate bitterness with a bit more bready character than I would have assumed, though there's still a decent amount of grapefruit and pine hop presence.

Medium mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Great drinkability.

A very nice, niche-filling, low-ABV IPA.

3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Apearance- light orange copper, nice and transparent

Smell- citrus and floral aromas are immediately present and complement all aspects of this IPA

Taste- nice hops on the front without much maltiness until you get to the back

Mouthfeel- light but without too much watery feel.

Overall- nice lighter abv IPA good for sessions, not very filling very still satisfying with hop characteristics. Good craft beer to convert those who havent seen the light of micros. Will get another.

3.89/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours amber with a fading head.
Nose shows herbal, piny and spicy hops along with slightly sweet biscuity malt.
Pretty hoppy flavours, mainly sticking to piny and spicy hops. Some soft clean malt in the background.

3.85/5  rDev +7.5%

On tap at Tony's Darts Away in Burbank, CA.

Pours a hazy light orange with a 1 inch puffy tan head that fades to a small cap. A foamy curtain of lace lines the glass on the drink down. Smell is mainly of hops with some floral, herbal, and pine aromas. Somewhat subdued smells overall. Taste is of herbal and floral hops, grapefruit, and citrus zest. Mild bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty tasty hop forward IPA.

3.83/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Extra from Orthodoxkardia.

16oz can pours a semi hazy golden orange color with an inch of creamy head. Tons of lacing.The aroma is citrus and tropical fruits. Orange, mango, pineapple and tangerine with some light floral notes. Toasted malts as well. The taste is more floral and piney than the aroma indicated. Some mango and tangerine as well as a good amount of malts. Piney hop finish with some tangerine. Minimal alcohol presence. Medium bodied. Overall, a pleasant surprise and a pretty solid IPA.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Another beer coming my way courtesy of the legendary woodychandler. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a beige color with a 1 inch head and some floaties. Lots of sticky lacing. Smell has lots of citrusy hops. Taste is hoppy, bitter, some citrus, tasty and refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Hazy burnt orange color with a one finger tan head. Some subtle lacing down the glass.

S: Lots of juicy grapefruit hops, caramel malt, orange and a good deal of pine.

T: Definitely a very approachable IPA. A good balance of bready malts and peppery citrus hops with a lot of grapefruit. Towards the finish, I get a slightly off flavor of soaked bread, but it's replaced on the end with some grapefruit pith and a touch of aspirin.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. bottle,

A: Pours goldenrod with an impressive white head, thick lace.

S: Lots of tropical fruit, passion fruit and pineapple, inviting.

T: Lemon and tropical fruit, some sweeter grapefruit as well. Not as impressive as the nose, but a solid flavour.

M: Medium-bodied, soft carbonation, nice crispness.

O: At 5.2% it's tough to call this an IPA, more of a pale ale and the flavour is more like that. Good beer, not completely to style, but an enjoyable effort. My first from this new LA County brewery.

Point The Way IPA from Golden Road Brewing