Point The Way IPA - Golden Road Brewing

Point The Way IPAPoint The Way IPA

good

good

Golden Road Brewing visit their website

(Beer added by: ehammond1 on 10-17-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Point The Way IPA Alström Bros
diodeelph

03-17-2013 22:55:15 | More by diodeelph
Bennettarr

07-20-2014 18:39:22 | More by Bennettarr
Perfero

2.1/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

* Poured from a can into a pint glass

* Golden color, slightly cloudy appearance with about a 1" head

* It had a generally pleasant smell but lacked the typical hop aroma of most West Coast IPAs. Somewhat bready on the nose.

* Very bland. Much more hop-forward most IPAs and the smell, with its lack of hop aroma, gave way to a beer that seemed noticeably devoid of hops. Honestly one of the weakest IPAs I've ever had.

* Relatively smooth, hard to enjoy when you're not enjoying the beer though.

Generally just not a great brew. I'm open to trying something else from these guys - especially since I like a good, canned beer - but I can't imagine ever purchasing this again.

01-11-2013 22:56:56 | More by Perfero

2.25/5  rDev -37.2%

03-10-2014 01:01:55 | More by BrettHead
costanza46

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours a light amber color from a can nice color.

Smells almost soapy with some fruitiness in there too.

Taste is pure bitter with little to no hop flavor. This beer is very dry but lacks the fruity flavor I expect in an ipa. Some late hop additions would help to add hop character without abrasive bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Pleasant on a hot day.

Overall this was a drain poor for me. This beer would probably be a decent Pale ale but is massively out classed with all the competition out there today. I want to like this brewery but I feel marketing is their main concern with the beer a close second. Nice packaging though....

05-23-2014 06:59:12 | More by costanza46

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

11-15-2013 16:03:58 | More by HRamz3
noahfree

2.53/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a sixer at best damn beer shop in SD for $10. Never heard of the brewery but I liked the packaging, and bonus! 16oz tall boys. Poured a "sculpin like" hue, good so far. Nose, hmmmm I really get belgian yeast. I'm not a fan, tastes like a lighter hoppy Belgian. Man, I really wanted to like this but it's definitely not a west coast ipa. I agree with a previous reviewer; this Brew is so close, I love the idea a low abv ipa but this is not the answer. I'll look for more options from this brewery though.

03-10-2012 06:12:19 | More by noahfree
zac16125

South Carolina

2.63/5  rDev -26.5%

Appearance is very nice, aroma has a nice hop profile, Mouthfeel is standard but I found the taste appalling. From the first sip it just did not sit well with me. A strange sweetness mixed with a bizarre astringent pretty gross flavor. I can't really be more specific cause I can't put my finger on the flavor. Not sure I've ever tasted something like that before, but I did not like it. I would certainly not recommend and will not try again.

12-02-2011 04:02:04 | More by zac16125
seanmoto

2.68/5  rDev -25.1%

Bought at a retailer. I was really looking forward to trying this beer. I've heard alot about this brewery.

Poured a nice color fairly golden-orangey. Decent aroma. The flavor is where it fell short. Being west coast I was hoping for the powerful citrus, piney experience. Instead I got an almost ham after taste. Weird!

I probably won't try this beer again, but I'm open to trying more styles from this brewery.

12-28-2012 06:15:38 | More by seanmoto
kojevergas

2.7/5  rDev -24.6%

Served on-draught into a stange at a hotel bar. Expectations were low given their other draught offerings. The cost was something ridiculous even during happy hour; I think it might have been $6.00 or thereabouts. It was this or American macroshite.

Paired with spinach and artichoke dip.

A: Pours a one finger head which is quite thin, of beige colour, with bad thickness (i.e. it's thin), and average retention. Colour is a clear dull copper. Not at all vibrant. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Bittering hops. Somewhat stale. Dryness; hints of fruit. Some pine. Seems imbalanced. A mild strength aroma.

T: Imbalanced, as predicted. Some indistinct fruit and bland hops (mainly bittering). The bitterness is covered only by clean malts and water, creating a weak empty body. Boring and bland. Uninspired. Quite simple. Built generically and badly. No layering or subtlety here, lads. No yeast or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with hints of coarseness. Watery and a bit thin. Adequately carbonated. Doesn't suit the flavours very well, but it doesn't outright run against them. The mouthfeel is certainly not tailored to the taste.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable and boring. There's nothing special here; move right along. I wouldn't get it again or recommend it - even to fans of the style. Quite underwhelming.

Wouldn't age well.

Might pair well with spicy food.

Drank just fine out of a stange.

High C-

EdTheEdge

04-13-2014 20:36:41 | More by EdTheEdge
lespaulrocka

2.96/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: transparent amber color with a one finger head that dissipates. Leaves a bit of lacing behind.

Smell: Citrus, piney and floral

Taste: Has a nice hop character to it and bit of tart to go along with it. Not as hoppy as I'd expected it to be.

Mouthfeel: light, very drinkable and refreshing but a bit soppy.

Overall: This IPA is a bit on the tamer side and in my opinion it doesn't really stand out from the crowd. I guess I still yearn for IPAs with much more complexity to it. Overall it's a refreshing beer to have. I don't think I will go looking for this one again. Its OK. Not bad and nothing special either.

03-17-2014 11:28:48 | More by lespaulrocka