Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Point The Way IPA - Golden Road Brewing

Point The Way IPAPoint The Way IPA

good

Golden Road Brewing visit their website

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 10-17-2011

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

On tap at Tony's Darts Away in Burbank, CA.

Pours a hazy light orange with a 1 inch puffy tan head that fades to a small cap. A foamy curtain of lace lines the glass on the drink down. Smell is mainly of hops with some floral, herbal, and pine aromas. Somewhat subdued smells overall. Taste is of herbal and floral hops, grapefruit, and citrus zest. Mild bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty tasty hop forward IPA. (522 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear goldenrod with a modest head that leaves a few splashes

Smell: Vaguely bready and vaguely hoppy; a rather grainy aroma

Taste: Bready, up front, with a bitter, grainy finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Rather unusual for a West Coast IPA as there is no citrus or floral character; the hops add bitterness but little flavor

Thanks, Madirish76, for the opportunity (422 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -14.3%

Fresh can from K&L.

Pours a slightly hazy copper. Two fingers of head rise and sustain pretty nicely.

Nose is heavy on caramel malts, orange flesh, grapefruit and bread. Surprisingly malty for the modest ABV, and a bit yeasty too, with a slight bubblegum note.

Palate offers more of the same. An even mix of caramel malt, breadiness, citrus (primarily orange), and offputting yeast flavors. Was this fermented with Belgian yeast? It's slightly phenolic and estery, and there's a distinct bubblegum flavor.

Overall this is pretty weak stuff, but not terrible in any particular way. Just a mediocre recipe. (608 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -2%

The beer is amber in color with an off-white head. Starts off with spicy, grassy, and citrus peel hops. There is some bread, very mild pineapple, and a bit of caramel. The flavor is a bit on the sweet side, but not overly so. Hop notes are grass, floral, and mild citrus, mostly citrus peel. Caramel and toffee malt flavors with just a hint of sweet fruit. Not the hugest fan of this. (384 characters)

3.57/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to PretzelCity for this one, my first from the brewery, and maybe my first from L.A. Gotta love cans, esp tall boys!

Pours a fizzy 1 finger head that fades fairly quickly, hints of lacing, over mostly clear slight chill hazy orange golden color.

Nose has plenty of fruit hops, hint of pine and some resinous fresh wet hop aromas, light grapefruit and tangerine, bit of citrus, little mango, maybe even hint of passion fruit, fluffy hops, and the slightest hint of malts pushing the hops upwards.

Taste starts with light hops, somewhat resinous with more fresh hop flavors, juicy hops all around with nice fruity flavors, tropical fruits with hints of grapefruit and passion fruit again, bit of tangerine citrus, hint of orange peel but not much, and a slight pine. The malts just fall off the stage, barely any malts to be seen, or tasted, and the body falls with it it seems. The hops deliver a nice bitter punch, but with no sweetness or malty body to anchor it the hops just shoot off into space. And I do like the west coast style IPAs, but this just goes a bit to far with the lack of malts. Finish is dry, little oily hop resin, with a decent bitter kick, hints of pine and resinous hops with bit of tropical fruit all lingering for a while.

Mouth is flat, fairly light, decent carb though.

Overall not bad, it has a nice hop character but the malts are so non-existant the hops have no platform to lay on and make the beer fall a little flat. If the malts were a bit bigger, or maybe higher final gravity it would feel a bit better and balance a bit more. (1,574 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +0.6%

Huge foam-up in the Stella glass. Like whipped cream, every pour. Nice flowery hop aroma. Light bodied.

A little bready flavor with some sweetness. Slightly resiny. Some earthy taste, but just enough to be interesting. Rather bitter as you sip, and seems to intensify at the finish. Not in hop overdose style, and more of a session beer. A touch of plastic, or maybe buckwheat in the aftertaste. Tastes almost like there is some rye in the brew.

I might like it better if it was just a little cleaner and crisper, but this seems to follow a mellower path. A worthy gulp, beery and drinkable enough. From the 16 oz can. (621 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -23.8%

Served on-draught into a stange at a hotel bar. Expectations were low given their other draught offerings. The cost was something ridiculous even during happy hour; I think it might have been $6.00 or thereabouts. It was this or American macroshite.

Paired with spinach and artichoke dip.

A: Pours a one finger head which is quite thin, of beige colour, with bad thickness (i.e. it's thin), and average retention. Colour is a clear dull copper. Not at all vibrant. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Bittering hops. Somewhat stale. Dryness; hints of fruit. Some pine. Seems imbalanced. A mild strength aroma.

T: Imbalanced, as predicted. Some indistinct fruit and bland hops (mainly bittering). The bitterness is covered only by clean malts and water, creating a weak empty body. Boring and bland. Uninspired. Quite simple. Built generically and badly. No layering or subtlety here, lads. No yeast or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with hints of coarseness. Watery and a bit thin. Adequately carbonated. Doesn't suit the flavours very well, but it doesn't outright run against them. The mouthfeel is certainly not tailored to the taste.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable and boring. There's nothing special here; move right along. I wouldn't get it again or recommend it - even to fans of the style. Quite underwhelming.

Wouldn't age well.

Might pair well with spicy food.

Drank just fine out of a stange.

High C- (1,457 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -10.4%

Not a good beer. Beer is amber and hazy with an off white head, looks OK.

Beer smells like citrus and malt syrup.

Beer is medium in body, super sweet, grainy on the back end, moderately hoppy, mild citrus in the midpalate, not a very good IPA. It is too malty, too sweet, not enough hops, no way to tell if this was an old can but I won't repeat it. (351 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Ah yes, it is time again for New Woody's CANned Beer Sunday (Week 0005?) being as how I was disinvited from the original thread by threat and force. As such, I am inclusional and welcome others to join me in an impassioned quest to review CANned beers on The CANQuest (TM), a misguided effort to review all CANned beers.

From the CAN: "At Golden Road Brewing, we love the hoppy goodness of today's Californian IPAs. When I asked Meg and Tony to taste a pilot batch that captured those flavors with a 5.2% alcohol content, they immediately responded, 'Point the Way.' Cheers, [undersigned] John Carpenter".

What a loud Crack! I may be more penetrable (as opposed to impenetrable) than usual, following a tough day of real ale.

I held an inverted Glug much closer to my laptop than I should have, following an aggro pour that partially went into my keyboard and rendered me (and it) inoperable for an extended period. It was actually a blessing in disguise as I got a new keyboard and a buncha memory from my tech and this baby is flying! I plan to make up for lost time as a result.

I ended up with a finger of dense, tawny head that looked like the top of a soft-serve hervanilla ice cream cone. Apparently, the current mayor (not for much longer, if I have anything to do with it) got a noise ordinance passed that prohibits Mr. Softee from playing his truck's music after 8 PM. Me = sad. I was brightened up by the oh-so-slightly-hazy deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) ale in my glass, however. Nose smelled of pine forest, which was curious, since the CAN depicted palm trees. I spent over half of my naval career in Cali and not once did I get a scent from a palm tree! There was also a nice caramel presence underlying the hops and when I looked over, my left arm had been miraculously tied off with my belt.

Did I mention that I am not just a hophead? I am a self-avowed hops junkie, albeit on a maintenance program. I ran down the rabbit hole, following that hot little blondie named Alice, a while back and soon found that there was no coming back. The raging, screeching monkey on my back has subsided, but I CAN no longer experience hoppy beers in the same nonchalant way as I used to.

Pulling the needle from the vein and the glass from my lips, I sat back, breathless. Oh, man. Jeez, Louise, it's a gas when I geez. The mouthfeel was soft and pillowy, caressing my tongue like the gentlest of lovers with my genitals. Schlitz used to talk of "Just a kiss of hops", but this was like a French Kiss! It rolled around on my tongue like a new girlfriend on high thread count sheets, languoring and rubbing around. This would be in stark (naked) CANtrast to some AIPAs that came on like gangbusters, kicking my teeth in, scrubbing the enamel off of them and then setting to work on my poor, bruised tongue with jackhammers. Speaking of jackhammers, I looked over at the now half-full (optimist) glass and the lacing that had formed was going to take a jackhammer to remove!

Coming from L. A., I began to hear Jim Morrison singing to me. Point (me) The Way to the next AIPA ... Oh, don't ask why.

Man, if I had known that I was going to be spiking it tonight, I would never have dropped a quarter-tab on my way home. This wasn't a beer, it was a happening. I called my babes-in-waiting, Gayle and Emma, and upon arrival, they set to work. They dig my action, just the way that I was digging this beer. The finish was earthy, which was mind-blowing, thanks to its being unexpected. Remember, kids, it's only kinky the first time. The ladies were likewise earthy, as expected and only kinky to the uninitiated.

Wow, this beer made me want to revisit L. A. and I don't know that I have ever said such a thing. Maybe I'll give fellow Stiller fan Snoop a ring-a-ding and see what his gig is like. I know that he is an herbalist. Onward! (3,850 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. bottle,

A: Pours goldenrod with an impressive white head, thick lace.

S: Lots of tropical fruit, passion fruit and pineapple, inviting.

T: Lemon and tropical fruit, some sweeter grapefruit as well. Not as impressive as the nose, but a solid flavour.

M: Medium-bodied, soft carbonation, nice crispness.

O: At 5.2% it's tough to call this an IPA, more of a pale ale and the flavour is more like that. Good beer, not completely to style, but an enjoyable effort. My first from this new LA County brewery. (513 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +5.6%

Bruery Provisions did well to "point the way" of this IPA. Reasonably priced at $2.49 for the 16 ounce can, and it's an IPA from Los Angeles. So, on to the beer:

Into a Stone imperial pint glass, the beer has a lighter bronzed color with hues of pale yellow and orange. The head on top is rocky and reasonable retention and solid lace. There are fun aromas coming out of the beer. I'm sensing that some New Zealand hops were used here, as it smells like a fruit bowl. Research from the brewery's webpage confirms this, and also some California varieties are used as well. It has a kick of rye too.

It's a fine beer, although it doesn't come out to have a mind a blowing taste. A little rye and kiwi hit first, then a vague witbier-like fruitiness. Are those gooseberries I'm tasting too? And trickles of metal and veggies. The beer is almost medium, a bit lighter at that, with tight carbonation, and this is one IPA that is quite drinkable.

This is a more than fair beer out of Golden Road. IPA, pale ale, whatever you wanna call it, it's good drinking. (1,059 characters)

1/22/2012

Can shared by Charles, thanks!

A: Transparent dark orange with a white head.

S: Bread and caramel with resinous pine and grapefruit. I get a lot of orange flesh.

T: The flavor exhibits balance between malt and hops. Bread, orange flesh, grapefruit, and a soft bitterness.

M: Lower medium body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky and dry.

Overall: Seems like a Pale Ale to me and not really West Coast in style as is advertised on the can, but it's enjoyable nonetheless and props on the cans. (527 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -4.2%

Clear amber colored beer with near no head formation. This is decidedly IPA Orange.

Smell is very hoppy with a biscuit malt aroma. Citrus hop scent with some tobacco and wood. Good aroma but not super strong.

Starts out more savory that sweet at first with a salty aftertaste. Quite dry malt wise and the sensation of salt continues. The slight saltiness of a biscuit in your mouth not a saltine. Hops are grapefruit and pine, but more like Pale Ale strong not IPA Strong. Still it certainly is easy to drink and easy on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is decidedly light.

Overall an OK beer that meet their goal of creating a more session AIPA.

Still this does give up some flavor to be mild in flavor and alcohol levels. Pretty much a Light Beer AIPA. (748 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From 16oz tallboy to Bruges hybrid glass on 1/30/12
*From notes

-- Thanks, Samantha --

Dated: First Batch - 1/12/12

*It should be noted that unlike the tallboy of GR's Hefe I'd ticked moments prior, this can was filled with the proper amount of beer.

A: Clean 24k gold. A standard pour yields a two finger white head. Nice, thick gobs of lacing rim the walls of my glass.

S: Mildly hoppy. It's not extreme in any way, as there's a good amount of slightly off-dry breadiness to it. Minor hints of tropical fruit appear here and there.

T: I'd have told you this is an APA, not an American IPA. The malt, though properly balanced with the hop profile, is a bit to brash. It tends to overwhelm what should be (I assume) a lower ABV west coast IPA. Instead, the hops aren't overly "west coast", as I'm getting signifigantly more of a pine resin quality then tropical fruit.

M: Killer bod. Finding a session beer that's this rich in texture and weight is not something you often encounter. Well done.

O: Golden Road has "Pointed the Way" to an above average, sessionable APA. Yeah, yeah so they call it an AIPA. Sorry folks, but it ain't.

What it is though is damn drinkable, a session beer with body, character and flavor. I could see myself knocking back a sixer of this on a warm summer Sunday. Although there are better options out there, I wouldn't shy away from this one, and I certainly recommend checking it out. (1,423 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Another beer coming my way courtesy of the legendary woodychandler. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a beige color with a 1 inch head and some floaties. Lots of sticky lacing. Smell has lots of citrusy hops. Taste is hoppy, bitter, some citrus, tasty and refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer. (325 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Only decent beer I can find at LAX on 5.21.13

A - Served a hazy medium orange with a small cream colored head with good retention.

S - A touch of orange and a touch of pine. Pretty mild.

T - Light orange with some bready malts. Again pretty mild tasting.

D - Good carbonation with a light to medium body.

O - Mild, weak ipa. I guess it beats the Shock Top. (365 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -2.5%

Had this at Blue Palms a few months back. Standard looking west coast ipa territory here, a lighter orange appearance without more than 1/2" of head to it. Aroma was fairly hoppy, nothing to blow you out of the water, but for a sessionable ipa like this is was decent enough.

The taste and body of the beer takes on kind of a heavier feel, although I have no idea where it comes from, because its not like the beer has a lot of malt, roasting, heft, alcohol, caramel etc. . . it just isn't as lively or light on the tongue as I thought it was going to be. You can momentarily get notes of pine and grapefruit from it, but its kind of sad the way you drink more and more of it, it just kind of fades away and leaves this neutral mouthfeel drag on the tongue. Not a bad beer, maybe it would be better with higher carbonation. (824 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -4.2%

16oz can poured into tulip - thanks to gcphilli

Pours a golden yellow with orange hues. Thick white head fades out quickly, leaving a collar of film and light, dotted lacing on the glass.

Slightly sweet, juicy hop bitterness in the nose with orange and grapefruit. Hints of tangerine and bready tones. Soft malts with barely any alcohol.

Dry, bitter hops up front with some citrus peel. Touches of tangerine and grapefruit with a hint of sweeter pineapple. Lighter breaded malt backbone with a touch of biscuit and grain. Finishes dry and bitter.

Lighter medium body, decent carbonation, sticky and dry on the tongue. This is a pretty tasty beer, especially since it's more on the "sessionable" side of IPAs. If it was available, I'd have it again. (755 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +9%

Pours amber with a fading head.
Nose shows herbal, piny and spicy hops along with slightly sweet biscuity malt.
Pretty hoppy flavours, mainly sticking to piny and spicy hops. Some soft clean malt in the background. (214 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1116th Review on BA
Can to HF Pint
16 oz Pint can

Canned 2/01/12

App- Rich and deep amber and bronze colored with a very quick receding 1/2 in head that fell to only a couple lines of cling and maybe a couple dots of cling.

Smell- A mix of hop oils, yeast, wheat and lemons. Very pecuilar like a IPA, Saison, APA all mixed together. Very smooth on the nose.

Taste- Paired hops bitter with a good backing malt flavor with a soft citrus and bit of celery seed flavors. Not offensive, just a bit soft and easy drinking.

Mouth- A soft medium body with a medium carbonation. A lot of residual bitter and hop oil.

Drink- A pretty good start to open a brewery with a soft but solid IPA offering. Slight bitter with some good hops and decent citrus. (748 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Hazy burnt orange color with a one finger tan head. Some subtle lacing down the glass.

S: Lots of juicy grapefruit hops, caramel malt, orange and a good deal of pine.

T: Definitely a very approachable IPA. A good balance of bready malts and peppery citrus hops with a lot of grapefruit. Towards the finish, I get a slightly off flavor of soaked bread, but it's replaced on the end with some grapefruit pith and a touch of aspirin. (436 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a finger and half of head on a clear straw colored body.
The aroma is a nice citrus smell. Easy.
The taste is bold but balanced. Lots of lemon and grapefruit bitterness with a touch of pineapple.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It's a tasty IPA. (267 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +9.8%

On Tap

Golden Road Brewing Grand Opening Party
Golden Road Brewing
Los Angeles, CA

Clear orange and amber with a medium-sized eggshell-white head. Decent retention and lines of lacing left down the glass.

An incredible aroma, especially for such a low-ABV IPA. There's lots of hop character leaping form the glass: pungent grapefruit, tropical orange, and a hint of pine. There's a bit of sweet caramel and pale malt as well.

The taste is just a touch disappointing after such a nice aroma. Moderate bitterness with a bit more bready character than I would have assumed, though there's still a decent amount of grapefruit and pine hop presence.

Medium mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Great drinkability.

A very nice, niche-filling, low-ABV IPA. (753 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Pours a bright and somewhat hazy gold color with a decent white head.

Aromas are of light citrus, slightly sweet malt grains, and some pine.

Taste is just like the nose. Light citrus, mostly grapefruit and lemon, some malty sweetness, and a crisp and dry finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp, with pretty good carbonation.

Overall a pretty good IPA. Kind of like an "IPA Light". Pretty good flavors, refreshing, and drinkable, but nothing overly special. (448 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

A - Pours a clear amber-orange with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of grapefruit, citrus, grassy, and pine hops with some sweet caramel malts.

T - Starts off with a mix of grapefruit, orange, and citrus hops with some bitterness and some sweet caramel malts. Through the middle, the pine and grassy hops come through with some more resiny bitterness and a bit of bready malts. The finish is a mix of grapefruit and piney hops with some resiny bitterness and some sweet caramel malts.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a dry and bitter finish.

D - Very drinkable. Nice resiny hop profile and good bitterness. (724 characters)

Point The Way IPA from Golden Road Brewing