Point The Way IPA - Golden Road Brewing

good

Golden Road Brewing visit their website

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 10-17-2011

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

A: light golden, little head, not much carbonation

S: dank ness, a very little tropical fruit, a little fresh cut grass

T: honestly not much taste when having it in draft. A little hop bitterness, fairly smooth

M: not much carbonation

O: honestly don't know anything about golden road but not impressed with this IPA. Hopefully this was a fluke, I was not impressed (374 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a finger and half of head on a clear straw colored body.
The aroma is a nice citrus smell. Easy.
The taste is bold but balanced. Lots of lemon and grapefruit bitterness with a touch of pineapple.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It's a tasty IPA. (267 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Light amber coloring and a slight head.

S: Bitter, piney -- not overwhelming at all, but it's there.

T: Citrus and pine, but very nicely balanced. Not at all over-powering with hops or malt.

M: Medium body with a slight bitterness at the end; some mild carbonation as well.

O: A nice, light IPA that possesses some pleasant hoppy bitterness. Not a brew that overwhelms with flavor, but an enjoyable drink day or night. Don't turn this one down, especially lately. New recipe implemented in the past year has really allowed this beer to help itself out in the market. (573 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours a light amber color from a can nice color.

Smells almost soapy with some fruitiness in there too.

Taste is pure bitter with little to no hop flavor. This beer is very dry but lacks the fruity flavor I expect in an ipa. Some late hop additions would help to add hop character without abrasive bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Pleasant on a hot day.

Overall this was a drain poor for me. This beer would probably be a decent Pale ale but is massively out classed with all the competition out there today. I want to like this brewery but I feel marketing is their main concern with the beer a close second. Nice packaging though.... (649 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: transparent amber color with a one finger head that dissipates. Leaves a bit of lacing behind.

Smell: Citrus, piney and floral

Taste: Has a nice hop character to it and bit of tart to go along with it. Not as hoppy as I'd expected it to be.

Mouthfeel: light, very drinkable and refreshing but a bit soppy.

Overall: This IPA is a bit on the tamer side and in my opinion it doesn't really stand out from the crowd. I guess I still yearn for IPAs with much more complexity to it. Overall it's a refreshing beer to have. I don't think I will go looking for this one again. Its OK. Not bad and nothing special either. (629 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Transparent copper, amber with thick white head and excellent lacing

S: not much there. Would be a good pale ale, but needs more for an IPA. Citrus and hint of pine as it warms.

T: Citrusy hops and some nuttiness

M: very dry. Modest carbonation

O: a very good pale ale. Mislabeled as an IPA (297 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

Ah yes, it is time again for New Woody's CANned Beer Sunday (Week 0005?) being as how I was disinvited from the original thread by threat and force. As such, I am inclusional and welcome others to join me in an impassioned quest to review CANned beers on The CANQuest (TM), a misguided effort to review all CANned beers.

From the CAN: "At Golden Road Brewing, we love the hoppy goodness of today's Californian IPAs. When I asked Meg and Tony to taste a pilot batch that captured those flavors with a 5.2% alcohol content, they immediately responded, 'Point the Way.' Cheers, [undersigned] John Carpenter".

What a loud Crack! I may be more penetrable (as opposed to impenetrable) than usual, following a tough day of real ale.

I held an inverted Glug much closer to my laptop than I should have, following an aggro pour that partially went into my keyboard and rendered me (and it) inoperable for an extended period. It was actually a blessing in disguise as I got a new keyboard and a buncha memory from my tech and this baby is flying! I plan to make up for lost time as a result.

I ended up with a finger of dense, tawny head that looked like the top of a soft-serve hervanilla ice cream cone. Apparently, the current mayor (not for much longer, if I have anything to do with it) got a noise ordinance passed that prohibits Mr. Softee from playing his truck's music after 8 PM. Me = sad. I was brightened up by the oh-so-slightly-hazy deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) ale in my glass, however. Nose smelled of pine forest, which was curious, since the CAN depicted palm trees. I spent over half of my naval career in Cali and not once did I get a scent from a palm tree! There was also a nice caramel presence underlying the hops and when I looked over, my left arm had been miraculously tied off with my belt.

Did I mention that I am not just a hophead? I am a self-avowed hops junkie, albeit on a maintenance program. I ran down the rabbit hole, following that hot little blondie named Alice, a while back and soon found that there was no coming back. The raging, screeching monkey on my back has subsided, but I CAN no longer experience hoppy beers in the same nonchalant way as I used to.

Pulling the needle from the vein and the glass from my lips, I sat back, breathless. Oh, man. Jeez, Louise, it's a gas when I geez. The mouthfeel was soft and pillowy, caressing my tongue like the gentlest of lovers with my genitals. Schlitz used to talk of "Just a kiss of hops", but this was like a French Kiss! It rolled around on my tongue like a new girlfriend on high thread count sheets, languoring and rubbing around. This would be in stark (naked) CANtrast to some AIPAs that came on like gangbusters, kicking my teeth in, scrubbing the enamel off of them and then setting to work on my poor, bruised tongue with jackhammers. Speaking of jackhammers, I looked over at the now half-full (optimist) glass and the lacing that had formed was going to take a jackhammer to remove!

Coming from L. A., I began to hear Jim Morrison singing to me. Point (me) The Way to the next AIPA ... Oh, don't ask why.

Man, if I had known that I was going to be spiking it tonight, I would never have dropped a quarter-tab on my way home. This wasn't a beer, it was a happening. I called my babes-in-waiting, Gayle and Emma, and upon arrival, they set to work. They dig my action, just the way that I was digging this beer. The finish was earthy, which was mind-blowing, thanks to its being unexpected. Remember, kids, it's only kinky the first time. The ladies were likewise earthy, as expected and only kinky to the uninitiated.

Wow, this beer made me want to revisit L. A. and I don't know that I have ever said such a thing. Maybe I'll give fellow Stiller fan Snoop a ring-a-ding and see what his gig is like. I know that he is an herbalist. Onward! (3,850 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured on tap into a small plastic cup at Dodger Stadium.

The beer is a bright pale yellow with a pure white foamy head that doesn't last too long, but hey it's in a plastic cup so whatever.

Smells very fresh and piney.

Taste is middle of the road with a definite bitterness subdued a bit by some bread and a bit of sweetness. Finishes really dry leaving you wanting another sip.

Pretty good way to wash down a dog, a good game, and a nice view at this stadium. A very welcome addition among the Mexican lagers and typical BMC domestics. In fact, I wouldn't turn this down outside of the stadium. While there are better IPAs out there, this one can hit the spot. (666 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Glassware: New Belgium Chalice Glass

Aroma: Smells of pine, kind of bitter.

Taste: Very resinous, orange peel, lemon bitter punch.

Overall: For a canned IPA, I was pleasantly surprised by this and this seems like the kind of beer you take to a park/beach/forest on a hot relaxing day. (290 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Another beer coming my way courtesy of the legendary woodychandler. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a beige color with a 1 inch head and some floaties. Lots of sticky lacing. Smell has lots of citrusy hops. Taste is hoppy, bitter, some citrus, tasty and refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer. (325 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Cloudy gold color with generous foam and very good lacing.

Smell: Pine and citrus.

Taste: A good balance of hops and malt. Pine, citrus, and caramel predominate.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with only a slight bitter aftertaste.

The Verdict: Not bad. This California IPA is for people who don't like a hop bomb. It's almost more of a pale ale than an IPA. Very nicely balanced, very mild. (401 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This review is of the “new and improved” Point the Way.

I’m a little disappointed. The cans have a date stamp of 04.03.2013, however the box they came in were stamped 4.30.2013. That’s the difference of a month, and a big difference when it comes to wanting to drink something on the fresher side. (I made my purchase and had the first of the four pack on June 1, 2013.)

From the can this beer just doesn’t do all that much for me. But poured a golden color in a pint glass with two full fingers of foam that dies down in minutes this has some life left in it. I actually enjoyed the aroma once it opened up. It's citrusy & piney, with some orange zest and pine needle. The pine dominates the flavor with a rounded citrusy sweetness on the end and a piney, pleasingly bitter finish. More enjoyable than I had expected.

A tall boy of a sessionable friendly 5.2% ABV IPA from Los Angeles? Sign me up!

Only downside was the date stamped at the bottom of the can—1.31.2012—which places this at least 6 months past the bottling date. (Or longer, if it is a “fresh-by” date). Didn’t think to check at the store. Oh well.

Appearancewise this beer looks good. It poured with a generous three fingers of foam that dissipated and compacted into a tight white lace of bubbles atop a clear, bronze glass of beer.

There’s a nice aroma of citrus and pine notes with some orange zest hiding in the back. To be honest, this beer smells nice for a pale ale… I imagine that fresh the aroma is even more spectacular.

The flavor has a light bitterness –pleasing to sip and share with a non-hop head, in fact—and a sweet rounded citrus. Tangerine, perhaps, or some Minneola tangelo hybrid that I can’t place. It’s pretty laid back and mellow, the opposite of a bold, aggressive west coast IPA. But then again, I wonder how much of that has to do with the time this brew has had to chill out.

I’d certainly, gladly try this one again. A surprise pick and a surprise that it’s held up so well. (2,016 characters)

3.59/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Canned 4/22/13, sampled 6/2/13

Pours a clear golden straw with a fluffy, long-lasting head which leaves distinct lacing. Scent is muted for an IPA: Some cereal grains and the slightest note of citrus hops. Unlike the nose, the hops are more present in the taste. Earthy grapefruit and lemon citrus are nicely balanced with the malts. Mouthfeel is smooth with medium carbonation, a dry finish and a lingering grapefruit aftertaste. This was my first Golden Road IPA. It wasn't the greatest but definitely better than some. I have a can of their DIPA in the fridge so I'm looking forward to trying that one too. (610 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Raul gets this on tap at Staples Center, but today as he watches the Kings game from home, it's out of a can and into the teku.

Aite like a 5 dolla foot long. You take a bite, look around, take another bite, look around... Like said 5 dolla, after you take a sip, there is no real savoring going on. This aint no Sprinkles cupcake - not even a glazed Krispey Kreme - it's an ok slice of German Chocolate cake from your granmama that can kind of cook aite enough.

And you know what? Raul is ok with that.

Peace! (514 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Only decent beer I can find at LAX on 5.21.13

A - Served a hazy medium orange with a small cream colored head with good retention.

S - A touch of orange and a touch of pine. Pretty mild.

T - Light orange with some bready malts. Again pretty mild tasting.

D - Good carbonation with a light to medium body.

O - Mild, weak ipa. I guess it beats the Shock Top. (365 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have gone back to this beer over and over again. My taste has conformed to citra hoppy flavors with that strong special smell. I have a hard time finding beers that give me what I am looking for. It is not even a dollar amount at this point, it is a yearning. Starting off with flavors from Halo, then Double Jack and even lighter beers like Ranger and my favorite limited brew x-114, Point the Way gives me what I yearn. I cannot wait to visit the pub. It is only about 1 hour from home. If you can find it (I get mine at Trader Joes, but randomly) try it. If you like any of the beers I listed, you will enjoy it. Cheers! (625 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A--kind of a weird hue, very hazy. Doesn't look quite like an IPA, but not unappetizing. I usually drink it out of the can anyway so whatever.

S--strong malts, mild hops. The smell is boring and even sweeter than the actual taste. Probably the least appealing aspect of the beer.

T--very sweet and malty up front, but a fair amount of hops lingering into the aftertaste. Can't taste booze at all. The hop profile is largely devoid of citrus.

M--nice and light, as I want a session beer that I can carry around outside in a can to be. It's not what I would rate highest, but it's what I want this to be.

O--I like this beer quite a bit. It's not great, and I wish it was a little more hop forward, but it's a great go-to low alcohol IPA. Something about the 16 oz can just feels satisfying to hold. Great for picnicking and other public outdoor activities. (859 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a 22oz pilsner glass

A - Clear copper in color, very little head

S - Grapefruit and pine dominate

T - Piney and grapefruit hops. bitter and sweet

M - sticky, thick, under carbed

Overall - good flavor, lacking other qualities that really bring down the potential (276 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- Pours a sparkling orangish red with 2 fingers of fine light tan foam that lingers and leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Aroma- Grapefruit, citrus pine, candied apple,

Taste- The begining is bitter like a pink grapefruit with a touch of pith. Very floral and soapy. It gives way to light carmel malts in the finish that lead to a light citrusy hop character. What a great beer.

Mouthfeel- spritzy light to medium bodied this IPA isn't bogged down with booze. The Hops to linger a bit at the end.

Overall- Maybe I am biased but I like this hometown brew, a sessional IPA is just what the Westcoast needed! It would go good with spicy tacos, BBQ, Thai food, but it stands on its own and it is considerably lacking in Arrogance!

As of 5/18/13
I have tried the canned version of this under the new head brewer and find the new formula to be considerably lacking in flavor of the original. I heard changes were made to improve shelf stability, increase the alcohol and use more cost effective hops ( not Nelson Sauvin). I think these changes are unfortunate.

Some articles regarding the new head brewer said that the changes were made because not enough time had lapsed to build brand allegiance. I say that in a craft beer desert that is Los Angeles , bonds are formed very rapidly with what is available. I miss the Old Point the Way,
Heck I miss the old Heff.... (1,376 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

According to their facebook page this was canned like last week since they just started to 12-pack them with a "revamped" recipe. This is the 5.9% abv one. Bought it at the brewery.
Appearance is ok. Poured from can into a pint glass, half an inch white foam dissipates pretty quckly. Color is bright light golden.
Smell is great, resin, citrus, orange, pretty happy dank tropical fruit, man, I love it already.
Taste is great too. Very similar to what I was expecting from the smell. Bitterness is spot on. According (again) to their facebook they removed Crystal malt from their recipe, resulting in a drier IPA that let hops shine. Well, it is nicely dry and crispy, very hoppy, but with that amount of hops I think I'd enjoyed some more body. But if that means "go back to the previous recipe", nope. give me more of this one.
Mouthfeel is dry at first, then bitter, then oily. Not bad at all. Too light, maybe.
Overall, this is a great IPA right in the middle of a session beer and a well craft West Coast hoppy goodness.
This one was very fresh too, but I had to find that out.... through facebook again. i hope they start labeling their canning date. (1,158 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A lot of reviews have criticized this IPA for not being an over-the-top hop monster; I say that there are already enough of those on the market, and Golden Road purposely went ahead and made a balanced, session IPA that isn't trying to take the enamel off of your teeth. West Coast IPA's are known to be ridiculously citrusy in their character but this offering blends herbal aromatics with the citrus hops, giving a multi-dimensional character to the hop profile that's much better than its being given credit for. A piney, resinous flavor is layered with the grapefruit and citrus tones; I'm guessing their hop blend is a mixture of Citra and Chinook, among the normal addition of "C" hops. My biggest criticism would probably be that, given that this is a regular American IPA with a 5.2 ABV, there is definitely room for more dimension in the malt profile and Golden Road still chose to keep the malt flavors fairly one-dimensional and straightforward. I would have liked to see a more bready, toasty, flavorful malt profile shine through. Be as it may, this American west coast IPA is better than most other offerings you'll see on your grocery store shelf, but not the crowning achievement that the greatest IPAs are. My favorite is still Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, but this offering is far from a disappointment. (1,319 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

* Poured from a can into a pint glass

* Golden color, slightly cloudy appearance with about a 1" head

* It had a generally pleasant smell but lacked the typical hop aroma of most West Coast IPAs. Somewhat bready on the nose.

* Very bland. Much more hop-forward most IPAs and the smell, with its lack of hop aroma, gave way to a beer that seemed noticeably devoid of hops. Honestly one of the weakest IPAs I've ever had.

* Relatively smooth, hard to enjoy when you're not enjoying the beer though.

Generally just not a great brew. I'm open to trying something else from these guys - especially since I like a good, canned beer - but I can't imagine ever purchasing this again. (682 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Apearance- light orange copper, nice and transparent

Smell- citrus and floral aromas are immediately present and complement all aspects of this IPA

Taste- nice hops on the front without much maltiness until you get to the back

Mouthfeel- light but without too much watery feel.

Overall- nice lighter abv IPA good for sessions, not very filling very still satisfying with hop characteristics. Good craft beer to convert those who havent seen the light of micros. Will get another. (483 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -24.8%

Bought at a retailer. I was really looking forward to trying this beer. I've heard alot about this brewery.

Poured a nice color fairly golden-orangey. Decent aroma. The flavor is where it fell short. Being west coast I was hoping for the powerful citrus, piney experience. Instead I got an almost ham after taste. Weird!

I probably won't try this beer again, but I'm open to trying more styles from this brewery. (416 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Had on tap at the brewery 11/30
Served in a pint glass

A: This beer pours a hazy golden color with a one finger of white sudsy head. Head recedes at a moderate pace leaving wisps of lacing on the glass.

S: Nose ismajor piney hops, earthy tones and a touch of citrus.

T: Taste is pine, pine, pine all up in the forefront. Grassiness with a mingle of more breadiness come in and quell the pine flavoring. The finish is a nice, balanced grapefruit citrus flavoring.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, oily body.

O: Goes down easy, not too filling, nice kick, very nice representation of style. I'd never heard of this brewery - went for a visit in LA and a friend who knew my affinity for craft beer made sure it was on my radar. I wasn't disappointed. (759 characters)

Point The Way IPA from Golden Road Brewing