Point The Way IPA - Golden Road Brewing

Point The Way IPAPoint The Way IPA

good

good

Golden Road Brewing visit their website

(Beer added by: ehammond1 on 10-17-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Point The Way IPA Alström Bros

warnerry, May 14, 2013
4.74/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have gone back to this beer over and over again. My taste has conformed to citra hoppy flavors with that strong special smell. I have a hard time finding beers that give me what I am looking for. It is not even a dollar amount at this point, it is a yearning. Starting off with flavors from Halo, then Double Jack and even lighter beers like Ranger and my favorite limited brew x-114, Point the Way gives me what I yearn. I cannot wait to visit the pub. It is only about 1 hour from home. If you can find it (I get mine at Trader Joes, but randomly) try it. If you like any of the beers I listed, you will enjoy it. Cheers!

slugman, May 13, 2013

eulerthegrape, May 10, 2013

SoCalBeerIdiot, May 08, 2013
3.79/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A--kind of a weird hue, very hazy. Doesn't look quite like an IPA, but not unappetizing. I usually drink it out of the can anyway so whatever.

S--strong malts, mild hops. The smell is boring and even sweeter than the actual taste. Probably the least appealing aspect of the beer.

T--very sweet and malty up front, but a fair amount of hops lingering into the aftertaste. Can't taste booze at all. The hop profile is largely devoid of citrus.

M--nice and light, as I want a session beer that I can carry around outside in a can to be. It's not what I would rate highest, but it's what I want this to be.

O--I like this beer quite a bit. It's not great, and I wish it was a little more hop forward, but it's a great go-to low alcohol IPA. Something about the 16 oz can just feels satisfying to hold. Great for picnicking and other public outdoor activities.

jealousmonk, May 07, 2013

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

JasonFromLA, Mar 31, 2013

alysmith4, Mar 29, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a 22oz pilsner glass

A - Clear copper in color, very little head

S - Grapefruit and pine dominate

T - Piney and grapefruit hops. bitter and sweet

M - sticky, thick, under carbed

Overall - good flavor, lacking other qualities that really bring down the potential

kshizzle101, Mar 23, 2013

diodeelph, Mar 17, 2013

johnson3000, Mar 15, 2013
4.24/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- Pours a sparkling orangish red with 2 fingers of fine light tan foam that lingers and leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Aroma- Grapefruit, citrus pine, candied apple,

Taste- The begining is bitter like a pink grapefruit with a touch of pith. Very floral and soapy. It gives way to light carmel malts in the finish that lead to a light citrusy hop character. What a great beer.

Mouthfeel- spritzy light to medium bodied this IPA isn't bogged down with booze. The Hops to linger a bit at the end.

Overall- Maybe I am biased but I like this hometown brew, a sessional IPA is just what the Westcoast needed! It would go good with spicy tacos, BBQ, Thai food, but it stands on its own and it is considerably lacking in Arrogance!

As of 5/18/13
I have tried the canned version of this under the new head brewer and find the new formula to be considerably lacking in flavor of the original. I heard changes were made to improve shelf stability, increase the alcohol and use more cost effective hops ( not Nelson Sauvin). I think these changes are unfortunate.

Some articles regarding the new head brewer said that the changes were made because not enough time had lapsed to build brand allegiance. I say that in a craft beer desert that is Los Angeles , bonds are formed very rapidly with what is available. I miss the Old Point the Way,
Heck I miss the old Heff....

Uncle_Jimmy, Mar 06, 2013
4.2/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

According to their facebook page this was canned like last week since they just started to 12-pack them with a "revamped" recipe. This is the 5.9% abv one. Bought it at the brewery.
Appearance is ok. Poured from can into a pint glass, half an inch white foam dissipates pretty quckly. Color is bright light golden.
Smell is great, resin, citrus, orange, pretty happy dank tropical fruit, man, I love it already.
Taste is great too. Very similar to what I was expecting from the smell. Bitterness is spot on. According (again) to their facebook they removed Crystal malt from their recipe, resulting in a drier IPA that let hops shine. Well, it is nicely dry and crispy, very hoppy, but with that amount of hops I think I'd enjoyed some more body. But if that means "go back to the previous recipe", nope. give me more of this one.
Mouthfeel is dry at first, then bitter, then oily. Not bad at all. Too light, maybe.
Overall, this is a great IPA right in the middle of a session beer and a well craft West Coast hoppy goodness.
This one was very fresh too, but I had to find that out.... through facebook again. i hope they start labeling their canning date.

fab80, Mar 05, 2013

jpeck13, Mar 05, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A lot of reviews have criticized this IPA for not being an over-the-top hop monster; I say that there are already enough of those on the market, and Golden Road purposely went ahead and made a balanced, session IPA that isn't trying to take the enamel off of your teeth. West Coast IPA's are known to be ridiculously citrusy in their character but this offering blends herbal aromatics with the citrus hops, giving a multi-dimensional character to the hop profile that's much better than its being given credit for. A piney, resinous flavor is layered with the grapefruit and citrus tones; I'm guessing their hop blend is a mixture of Citra and Chinook, among the normal addition of "C" hops. My biggest criticism would probably be that, given that this is a regular American IPA with a 5.2 ABV, there is definitely room for more dimension in the malt profile and Golden Road still chose to keep the malt flavors fairly one-dimensional and straightforward. I would have liked to see a more bready, toasty, flavorful malt profile shine through. Be as it may, this American west coast IPA is better than most other offerings you'll see on your grocery store shelf, but not the crowning achievement that the greatest IPAs are. My favorite is still Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, but this offering is far from a disappointment.

Aaron_Ramson, Mar 02, 2013