Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Wolf Among Weeds - Golden Road Brewing

Wolf Among WeedsWolf Among Weeds

Golden Road Brewing visit their website

Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-07-2012

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

A: Light, golden straw pale color with a thick white head and minimal retention. Looks like Alpine's Nelson.

S: Nose is really nice. Very clean, fresh lemon, lemon peel, some exotic tropical fruits, dry spice and resin. I'm thinking centennial and Nelson, but its columbus, simcoe, chinook and cascade.

T: Lemon, some grapefruit, a bit of pine, chewy/earthy resin, bitter/spice in the back end from the hops and the rye. Not any caramel sweetness, which I really appreciate.

M: Light-Medium body, light-medium carbonation

O: A fantastic IPA. Kind of reminds me of Alpine's Nelson but not as much tropical fruit or as well polished (and no Nelson hops). There is a bit of lite beer urine funk the first few sips but then that disappears and your left with a very easy drinking, 8%, delicious, smooth, citrusy SoCal IPA. Highly recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Served on tap in a tulip, I actually really liked this one. My nose perked up from this on as it was handed to me. I enjoyed ever sip of it

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Really great double ipa. Very hoppy with very distinctive hop taste. Kind of like the Maximus ipa from lagunitas but lighter and crispier

Edit: pretty damn noticeable alcohol taste

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

"Wolf Among Weeds" is a complex and refreshing IPA above "Point the Way IPA" that in my opinion Golden Road has established as a "go to" IPA. "Wolf" offers a silky after taste that allows a "tingle" pressing your tongue against the roof of your mouth. Head disappears quickly, but effervescence continues gently during the evaluation of the brew in a full size glass. Very satisfying. Golden color. Personally, I need a citrus smell and a "weed" odor with my IPA. "Wolf" delivers and is most satisfying. I sincerely hope that finally there is an IPA that can deliver the most unique hops that won't be too seasonal or be too expensive for the average consumer.

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Awesomely good IPA! The first can I ever had was really fresh, less then 2 months, and easily a 5 star beer all around with hop flavor and aroma so pungent you could chew on it! The can I have now is a little less then fresh but still holds up pretty well. All and all a great double IPA I most say!

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Big bright golden body pours into a nonic pint with no problems. Head is off white layered and luscious forms nicely above the glowing golden body. Aroma hops explode on the nares what a great smell, herbaceous herbal, citric hops, with big juicy ripened pineapple. Flavor full of juicy resinous hops, citrus peel, pineapple juice, even mango with tropical fruit. This is something else really drinkable with incredible hop notes, nothing like this exists on the east coast. Mouthfeel is oily and resinous bringing the dank hop oils with the tropical fruit to soften the blow of the hop bitterness, a bit of alcohol warmth but nothing that is too hot for the palate to enjoy this fine creation. Overall, I'm a huge fan of this beer since my first sip yesterday during a sampling session with wvsabbath to this full pint glass full of all the west coast hop glory.

4.49/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So apparently I like this waaay more than everyone else

A- Pours light honey hazy, two finger head with low retention. White clouds for the head.

S- I am getting a bouquet of citrus. Lemons, grapefruit, nice fluffy hop profile, my kind of malt (minimal)

T- This is a real nice IPA, light and fluffy (sorry). Citrus from above fruit.

M- Great M being creamy, perfect amount of carb.

O- I would gladly, gladly drink this again!!!!

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

It's all hops! Fresh green hops that leap out of the glass and into your nose and mouth. If you love hops like I do, this is the beer for you. The bartender described it as 'dank'. To me dank means a moldy basement so I don't know wtf he meant by that. All I know is as soon as I finished drinking my first I ordred another and then I bought some to bring home. It is just as good in the cans as it is on draft.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Long Beach Airport waiting for a flight back home. Pretty decent beer and way more than I was expecting last min at an airport. Really nice foamy head. Very citrus smell and taste. Piney for sure, which I like. I'd get this again for sure.

4.37/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured 16 oz. can into Golden Road pint glass.

A: A brilliant golden orange, that's mostly opaque. There's nothing in terms of head at all.

S: In-your-face hop scents permeate from this one the second you pour and it just continues as you drink. Also possesses some great citrus-y notes -- pineapple, in particular.

T: Delivers on the aromas you get up front -- every sip is a burst of hops and citrus that make it incredibly refreshing.

M: Crisp and clean finish with a moderate amount of carbonation. Despite all the hops, it doesn't feel heavy at all.

O: Wolf Among Weeds has become one of my favorite DIPAs over time. When fresh, it's a relatively light, enjoyable drinking experience that has you craving more. In my opinion, it's the best Golden Road has to offer and a great starting point for those trying them out (or coming back into the fold).

4.26/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This CANtinues New CANned Beer Sunday (Week 0005?) as I have been ousted from any other endeavors on this day on this site. C'est la guerre!

From the CAN: " With so many outstanding hoppy beers out there, we want to thank you for choosing this tribute to the majestic Humulus Lupulus bine."

Oh man, I got The Doors blasting, the cops are banging on the door, the chicks are flushing the s**t down the toilet as fast as they CAN, pu**y is jumping from the back balcony onto the neighbor's roof and then taking off into the night and I am as cool as a cucumber. "Yes, officers, how may I help you?'

Y'see, when you are the founder and instigator of The CANQuest (TM), you CAN come to expect these kinds of things. It it just that I do not live in a big city and since I put myself on the radar with a write-in run for mayor, I am a fish in a bowl for the time being.

It all started when I heard a huge Crack! I quickly called my Crack ho's and told them that it was a party. My inverted Glug created a finger of dense, tawny foam that fell like a souffle, leaving brilliant lacing in its wake. Color was a hazy amber (SRM = > 13, < 17). Nose smelled like death in the form of minty hops and caramel malts. I have smoked, snorted, spiked and drank this evening, but this may be it.

Hey, piggies, get offa me, man! I got s**t to say and do today. The wolf is howling and he ain't real patient. The first sip and I was gone, man. I was up in the hills of Woodland, baby. I'm talking Woodland Hills, 1995, and the chicks are running hot and cold, black and white and tan and all I have to do is reach out my hand and just grab some. Mad Dog knows how to throw a party! I am a "jaded" sailor and yet I have never experienced anything like this, to date. The wolf is howling outside the window, weed is being smoked (although I may not indulge) and Sindee (I swear that she copped to that as her name, officer) is atop me, swaying her pendulous breasts in my face and riding me like Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western.

Phew! The first hit caught me under the jaw like the jarhead in the P.I. during smokers in 1986. I was a buff, tough muff diver but he caught me in a weak moment and moved my jaw like a typewriter platen being reset and I fell to my knees, pulled off the gloves and walked away, never to box again.

This beer did the same thing. I rocked back, shook off the dust, used my bruised tongue to check what was left of my teeth, what with the enamel having been stripped off of many of them, and reset. "Keep yer mitts up!" MA1 Whitmore, my trainer, shouted in my ear. "You don't wanna lose to some pansy-ass Marine, do ya, ya sad sack o's**t?!?"

The hops were unrelenting, jackhammers upon my teeth, stripping the enamel away, then drilling the f**kers out by the roots, leaving my gums raw and bleeding while my tongue tried to maintain a beachhead against the onslaught. Je**s F**king G*d, who laid this om me? I may never be the same.

I was listening to The Doors on YouTube, which may have been a mistake, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

L. A. was slow to get its brewing together, but it if this is an indication of what they are capable, I may need to revisit. I was blown away by its intensity, yet mellow finish. I hear that they have a decent public trans system now.

Finish was stunning, semi-dry, but now I was finished. L. A has that effect on me.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: Hazy amber with a fluffy off-white head.

Smell: Tons of flowery hops!

Taste: Fairly bitter right up front, but well balanced in the middle. Leaves a mild bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Moderately thick and creamy.

Overall: Very good IPA/DIPA (somewhere on the border). Very aromatic hops, bitterness is definitely there but kept in check.

4.24/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Received as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice crystal clear golden hue with a one finger foamy white head that fades to leave a thin quarter inch blanket that leaves some light sticky lacing.

S - Nose is very, very nice here. Great citrus and tropical notes here, oranges, mango, light pine and grapefruit. Not much malts or alcohol.

T - Taste is not quite as good as the nose, but still tasty. Light citrus notes, faint orange and grapefruit (which lends a solid bitter finish). Quite nice finish in fact. The flavour across the pallet though is slightly dulled down and muddled. Flashes of orange zest.

M - Mouthfeel is very nice, good bitter finish nice bright carbonation, no alcohol at all.

O - Overall this was a very tasty DIPA, wish the flavor was as good as the nose but its still very tasty beer. Solid.

4.17/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in a pint glass at Toronado.

Smells like weed. Very fresh hops. Juicy and fruity and great. Clear golden. Light head. It tastes great. A lighter Hoptimum. Delicious DIPA. Light grain is lightly sweet. Hugely bitter, especially the aftertaste. Highly recommended.

4.16/5  rDev +6.9%

A cloudy heavy straw gold with a nice white head and good lacing. Light carbonation streaming up. Solid appearance.

Wow! What a nose! Pineapple, mango, citrus. Light sweet malt and a touch of pine forest. Tropical heaven meets Christmas. Nice.

Taste is platform for the hopping. All the players from the nose show up in force just as you sniff them. Malt shows an almost Belgian like complexity. Light sweet, bready, with a sophisticated sweetness to balance the prominent and long bitterness that is so well done in this beer. The long refers to how the hops just stay from the front of the beer to the swallow. Then it is a refreshingly short and dry finish. Just a touch of astringent hop oil and crackers mixed with pineapple and mango. No trace of alcohol and given the light and drinkable personality of this beer, hiding 8 percent is a tribute to the brewers skills.

Feel is solidly medium hiding the original gravity nicely. Smooth carbonation and a crisp refreshing overall quality makes for a pleasing engagement with my mouth time and again.

Since the Overall category used to be Drinkability let me digress. This beer SCREAMS drinkability. At an abv of 8 percent this is bordering on criminal. I can session this beer like a hooligan and love every moment of recklessness. My tastebuds are doing the happy dance and I'm groovin' on the LA vibes from this exceptionally drinkable IIPA. Lovely

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

I had this on tap at Torrey Pints in Whole Foods, in La Jolla for breakfast at about 1045.

My first impression of this beer was, it looks luscious. The strong smell of pine and hops also helped me come to that conclusion. The smell is also sweet and floral. The body was a hazy, light orange. The head was thin and white. Just how I like them. The smell was of pungent hops and pine. It smelled like weed. The taste of this very good IPA was of hops, weed, and pine. Juicy, sweet, and flavorful. It had a nice classic West Coast IPA taste, with weed as the dominating flavor. It had medium carbonation and medium to light density.

Overall, I was impressed with this beer coming out of LA. I will keep my eye out for this in the future.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Cloudy golden and yellow with a thin, creamy white-head. Fairly sticky with nice retention. Pretty and appropriate.

Very expressive aroma; quite nice. Lots of citrus and mild pine combine nicely. Very aromatic, along with some mild malt sweetness and bread components as well.

Hugely bitter IPA, but it still remains drinkable. Some citrus and pine components mix with the bitterness, along with a little sweetness and bread, but the bitterness is this beer's main calling card. I don't mind the bitterness though, as the complementary flavors balance and linger nicely.

Medium bodied with moderate, creamy carbonation.

Great DIPA in a can. Would be happy to grab this if I was in a pinch and needed some canned hoppy goodness.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Light golden color in the glass.
Piney aroma with a touch of citrus. Straight forward piney with orange peel hop character, drying sticky finish. Easy going, all around solid.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked up a single from TW Arrowhead in late May for $3.99. Canned on 3/25/15. Received at TW on 5/7/15.

Beer poured golden with a nice white head that is hanging around.

Nose is tropical and juicy, quite nice!

Taste is mango and passion fruit, with light pine lingering in the aftertaste. Finish is not as clean as hoped.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and pretty smooth.

Overall a solid beer, one i could do again. At $12/4 pack of tall boys it is a tad bit pricey in a genre that has many great alternatives. Give it a shot at least once, you will not be disappointed.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Type: 16-oz. can
Glass: Lagunitas mason jar
From: Bine & Vine Bottle Shop in Normal Heights (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $12.59 for a 4-pack
Purchased: June 4, 2013
Consumed: June 7, 2013
Misc.: Born on date of April 30, 2013

Poured a golden orange hazy color with two fingers of off-white foamy head. Decent amount of layered lacing along the sides. Above average retention on the top all the way down.

Smelled a potent whiff of grapefruit citrus hops. Also tangerine, orange rind, orange, mango and pineapple. Also some floral hops.

Tasted a bit different than I expected. Much more tropical than citrus. Mango, melon, pineapple and some other tropical hops. Also those citrus hops of grapefruit, tangerine, orange and orange rind, but more tropical than anything else.

Medium-to-light body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Bitter, watery finish. Clean, crisp and refreshing.

A very nice, atypical IPA. Lots of tropical notes. I’d have it again.

4.04/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

A: Hazy golden yellow with a white head. Retention is poor.

S: Mainly pineapple, some pine needles, mango, orange peels, peach, and a good helping of sweet malt.

T: Follows the nose very well. Pineapple, a touch of bitter grapefruit, slight pine, and peach. Pine and a slightly sweet peach in the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with a light carbonation. Slightly wet, could use some more dryness and carbonation.

O: Lots of tropical fruits, clean bitterness, and a good amount of sweetness. Easy drinking IPA.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 16oz. can into a pint mason jar. Dated 03/04/14

A - Hazy but bright yellow-amber. Leaves only a thin foam collar and sparse patches of lacing.

S - Musty, funky, fruity, herbaceous...sort of a medium zone between bright and dank.

T - The bitterness hits hard when sipping but doesn't linger, paving the way for the fruity, weedy, grassy, pinesap-esque flavors to dominate. Mild-medium malt backbone. This one's a toughy to nail down but is still quite flavorful. Finishes fairly dry.

M - No alcohol burn. It's a bit heavier feeling than most IPA's, but the carbonation keeps it from being really thick and chewy. Gets smoother as you keep drinking.

Overall - This one drinks real easy if you're an IPA kind of guy. It's a really interesting middle point between the crisp, clean, floral DIPA's and the dark, rich, syrupy flavored ones. Wolf among Weeds is an appropriate name, as its flavor is quite reminiscent of weed, in both the invasive plant and medicinal plant meanings.

4.02/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Light colored golden. Smell pine, resin, lots of pine needles, a little citrus rind. Taste is rich in pine and grapefruit, not much malt apparency. Mouthdmfeel is medium. A good summer ipa, bbq, or pair with spicy foods.

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Clean, half-transparent golden yellow, frothy white head leaves ropy lacing. Earthy, floral nose but the beer shines once you actually drink it. Bright, citrusy, floral hoppiness with a fantastically sweet bready element. Reminds me of Carton's 077xx. Totally hidden ABV and the finish is tasty and long. Very solid beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful straw color with a white head and active carb. Nose is a little muted but it's pretty straight forward citrus. Maybe mango and tropical fruit. The flavor is soft and delicate. Citrusy flavors dominate the palette with some light hints of pine showing through. It's very easy to drink and medium bodied. Carb keeps it light and refreshing.

A solid offering. Dangerous to drink as it goes down way too easy.

Wolf Among Weeds from Golden Road Brewing