Wolf Among Weeds - Golden Road Brewing

Wolf Among WeedsWolf Among Weeds

Golden Road Brewing visit their website

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-07-2012)
4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

tbone1384, Nov 10, 2013

Bnjmnlws, Nov 09, 2013

Highstplz, Nov 07, 2013
3.94/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a shallow yellow with a 2 finger head. Head lingers nicely.

S - Wow, this smells INCREDIBLE! The nose is amazing. Smells like fresh pineapple juice. Mildy hoppy, very aromatic with the citrus. I personally think the smell is better than Heady Topper. Wow. So good.

T - This is where this beer took a wrong turn for me. Very 1 dimensional in terms of the hop complexity. You will only get the bitter from this beer. There was no sweetness nothing other than the bitterness of the hops.

M - Very light body, not a lot of back-bone. Very light for a DIPA.

O - The Smell was incredible! However, that is the only thing memorable about this brew. The taste is nothing like how it smells. This beer is like that chick with a great body, but horrible face. If they brought out the complexity of the hops such as a sweetness, a dry finish, etc, this very easily beat Heady and Pliny, hands down. the smell is incredible.

santomark, Nov 03, 2013

CoolEthan, Oct 31, 2013

ste5venla, Oct 30, 2013

akang, Oct 30, 2013

SocalKicks, Oct 30, 2013

hollywood_15063, Oct 30, 2013
3.78/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Small to maybe medium sized slightly off white head settles to a quarter inch or less of froth covering a thick but not cloudy honey golden colored beer.

Light but very evident citrus style hops aroma.

Light citrus hops with maybe grapefruit coming through more so in the taste, also seems to be some light fresh grasses in the taste as well.

Dryish aftertaste with some of the citrusy lemon tastes hanging around with this lighter medium bodied IPA.

Decent tasting, nothing overwhelm but it has some definite west coast style hops tastes.

LXIXME, Oct 28, 2013

Beerbuddy21, Oct 26, 2013

st9647v3, Oct 26, 2013

brotherloco, Oct 25, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

"Wolf Among Weeds" is a complex and refreshing IPA above "Point the Way IPA" that in my opinion Golden Road has established as a "go to" IPA. "Wolf" offers a silky after taste that allows a "tingle" pressing your tongue against the roof of your mouth. Head disappears quickly, but effervescence continues gently during the evaluation of the brew in a full size glass. Very satisfying. Golden color. Personally, I need a citrus smell and a "weed" odor with my IPA. "Wolf" delivers and is most satisfying. I sincerely hope that finally there is an IPA that can deliver the most unique hops that won't be too seasonal or be too expensive for the average consumer.

slugman, Oct 21, 2013

JandJMD, Oct 20, 2013
4.31/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This CANtinues New CANned Beer Sunday (Week 0005?) as I have been ousted from any other endeavors on this day on this site. C'est la guerre!

From the CAN: " With so many outstanding hoppy beers out there, we want to thank you for choosing this tribute to the majestic Humulus Lupulus bine."

Oh man, I got The Doors blasting, the cops are banging on the door, the chicks are flushing the s**t down the toilet as fast as they CAN, pu**y is jumping from the back balcony onto the neighbor's roof and then taking off into the night and I am as cool as a cucumber. "Yes, officers, how may I help you?'

Y'see, when you are the founder and instigator of The CANQuest (TM), you CAN come to expect these kinds of things. It it just that I do not live in a big city and since I put myself on the radar with a write-in run for mayor, I am a fish in a bowl for the time being.

It all started when I heard a huge Crack! I quickly called my Crack ho's and told them that it was a party. My inverted Glug created a finger of dense, tawny foam that fell like a souffle, leaving brilliant lacing in its wake. Color was a hazy amber (SRM = > 13, < 17). Nose smelled like death in the form of minty hops and caramel malts. I have smoked, snorted, spiked and drank this evening, but this may be it.

Hey, piggies, get offa me, man! I got s**t to say and do today. The wolf is howling and he ain't real patient. The first sip and I was gone, man. I was up in the hills of Woodland, baby. I'm talking Woodland Hills, 1995, and the chicks are running hot and cold, black and white and tan and all I have to do is reach out my hand and just grab some. Mad Dog knows how to throw a party! I am a "jaded" sailor and yet I have never experienced anything like this, to date. The wolf is howling outside the window, weed is being smoked (although I may not indulge) and Sindee (I swear that she copped to that as her name, officer) is atop me, swaying her pendulous breasts in my face and riding me like Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western.

Phew! The first hit caught me under the jaw like the jarhead in the P.I. during smokers in 1986. I was a buff, tough muff diver but he caught me in a weak moment and moved my jaw like a typewriter platen being reset and I fell to my knees, pulled off the gloves and walked away, never to box again.

This beer did the same thing. I rocked back, shook off the dust, used my bruised tongue to check what was left of my teeth, what with the enamel having been stripped off of many of them, and reset. "Keep yer mitts up!" MA1 Whitmore, my trainer, shouted in my ear. "You don't wanna lose to some pansy-ass Marine, do ya, ya sad sack o's**t?!?"

The hops were unrelenting, jackhammers upon my teeth, stripping the enamel away, then drilling the f**kers out by the roots, leaving my gums raw and bleeding while my tongue tried to maintain a beachhead against the onslaught. Je**s F**king G*d, who laid this om me? I may never be the same.

I was listening to The Doors on YouTube, which may have been a mistake, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

L. A. was slow to get its brewing together, but it if this is an indication of what they are capable, I may need to revisit. I was blown away by its intensity, yet mellow finish. I hear that they have a decent public trans system now.

Finish was stunning, semi-dry, but now I was finished. L. A has that effect on me.

woodychandler, Oct 20, 2013