Big Hurt Beer - Big Hurt Brewing Company

poor

Big Hurt Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 10-15-2011)
Reviews by scruffwhor:
2.3/5  rDev -11.5%

Frank Thomas was my idol growing up. So when I saw this monster 24oz. can at Binny's, I had to pick one up.

Clear pale sunshine color. Very quick head, no residual but nice bubbling.

Sweet, corny syrup aroma. Cant really pick up any hops in there. I'm sure some hops keep the aroma a little clean.

Sweet, corny, a little sugary lightly toasted malt. The finish has some adjunct and alcohlic sweet malt finish.

Sweet, syrupy, and boozy warmth on teh palate. Best if you drink this fast before it warms up too much.

scruffwhor, Mar 10, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +34.6%

J2L, Oct 22, 2012
3.05/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Can (2012?)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, match1112!

Clear golden with a moderately sized white head that doesn't last long but does leave nice spiderwebs of lace down the glass. There's tons of visible carbonation bubbles rushing up from the bottom of the glass throughout the duration of my trip down Big Hurt Lane. For the style...this is actually pretty!

The aroma, on the other hand, is nothing to rave about...but I have smelled much, much worse! So there's that! A lot of corn and rubbing alcohol, but what would a proper malt liquor be without the dreadful aromas of stale, damp corn and booze.
Edit: As it warms, this smells more and more terrible.

The problem with this beer is that you have to smell it as you put it to your lips. The beer actually tastes much, much better than it smells...dare I say: better than average? Though, admittedly, I have very little experience with one of my least favorite styles: good ol' American malt liquor. Flavors of corn, grain, grass, and alcohol combine for something admittedly drinkable.

Medium bodied for the style with high carbonation.

Real talk...it's not that bad! It just smells foul.

And, this makes me feel like I'm back in college. So it has that going for it.

ehammond1, Aug 15, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a faint straw yellow hue with a fizzy snow white head that fades to a thin sticky film and is supported by a swirling micro carbonation.

S- The clean soft sweetness lingers with a popcorn finish and some buttery diacetyl grows as the beer opens.

T- The sweet dry corn flavor has a faint buttery diacety taste and a watery flavor to follow. The finish is a slightly pungent cream that grows with each sip.

M- The light mouthfeel has a soft scrubbing fizz with a soft alcohol burn in the back of the throat.

O- This beer is pretty clean but it has some odd flavors and to much alcohol to make it refreshing.

rhoadsrage, Jan 30, 2012
1.56/5  rDev -40%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

12oz can. Yet another marketing company trying to pass itself off as a brewery, and through the Minhas, urp, 'craft' operation of Monroe, WI, at that. Christ on a crutch, when is this charade going to finally end? (Successful, this time) arson? That would surely at least be some sort of 'big hurt', amirite?

This beer pours a clear, bright medium golden yellow colour, with two pudgy fingers of frothy, agreeably foamy, and crackling off-white head, which leaves some actual, honest to the flying spaghetti monster in the sky, roiling sea wave lace around the glass as it rashly beats it outta town (wishful thinking pervades, it would seem).

It smells of sugary corn and rice compote, plastic warehouse packaging, bland apple and pear fruity notes, generic wet garbage (as opposed to premium), bottom shelf (is that a thing?) cheap-ass honey, and subtle like a sledgehammer vegetal, let's just say, hops. The taste is literally gag-inducing (I could barely keep my first glug down, no shit), as the nail polish character of this joke of a beer cannot be denied - though the lowbrow honey and mushy drupe fruit essences may beg to differ, I'm not in an alms-giving mood. Perhaps a bit of American's worst fake vanilla-infused snack cakes (representing the malt here, for all you mouth-breathers, I mean 'raters' out there) worms its way in as well, but it's too little, well, just too little for me to really give a rat's ass about.

The bubbles are plainly evident in their pandering frothiness, the body medium weight, sure, but all inexpensive corn sugars, all the time, baby - fuck me 'til I'm dead and I can't get back - thankyouverymuch, Monster Magnet! Smoothness? You wanna talk about smoothness? Go ahead, I've got better things to do. It finishes still sweet, sugary, and yet not overly boozy - what's this, a silver lining? If there's fool's gold, then there must be the equivalent for the good ol' Ag, non?

Gaaah! While the booze doesn't really cause any problems here, it's about the only thing that doesn't (double negatives for the win!). Minhas' inbred, insidious, and apparently thorough industrial effluent house character in on full display here, for, well, for worse only, I don't think I really gotta say. This is the brewer's best-suited 'style', and yet, this offering is nothing less than a fucking hurtful (hey - truth in advertising!) mess.

biboergosum, Jun 19, 2014
2.85/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Fairly soapy looking coming out the can. The only reason I'm rating this higher than a 2 or 2.5 is the fact that it seems to fit the ambience of a White Sox game, which is where I had it.

Smell: Sweet corn. Very cloying. Not the most refreshing smell, but it isn't bad.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet corn. As far as malt liquor goes, it's actually ok. That's basically it. It could be more refreshing and crisp, especially at a summer ballame.

Overall Drinkability: As a refreshing light beer, this doesn't work. As a malt liquor, this kicks ass.

tjsdomer2, Aug 31, 2012
3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

This beer was better than I expected. If this is a malt liquor then its the best malt liquor I've ever had...I I had plenty in college. The beer pours a clear yellow with thin white head that initially fizzes then dissapates. The scent is sweet with presence of saaz hops. The taste is sweet with effervesance of grain and alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium body with good carbonation. Overall its ok...if the abv was dialed back to 5-5.5% it would be better.

WoodBrew, Mar 23, 2013

atlbravsrno1, Jan 02, 2014
2.96/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Another beer from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a bright yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell has some sweetness, malts, a bit of plastics. Taste is malts, alcohol, a touch of sweetness, some green apples, not very good but certainly drinkable. Feels light in the mouth and overall is not a bad beer, about average for this style.

tone77, Feb 20, 2014

Elicoleman, Aug 28, 2014
2.2/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

So somebody contracts a shitty malt liquor and then decides step #2 is to start a brewpub?

"13 129" printed on the bottom, Julian date of April 2013, guessing a production date.

Pale anemic yellow, super rapid racing trails of carbonation, looks like corn soda. Thin layer of bone white foam, recedes to a thin skim that breaks after the first sip.

Smells like cheap wine, silage, and malaise.

Harsh astringency, numbing alcohol. Flaccid without any flavor. Grain husks and wet paper, cheap wine with club soda carbonation. People think this is actually decent? Lol...

emerge077, May 03, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -13.5%

enelson, Mar 22, 2013
2.76/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that died down but consistently left a thin head covering the surface and a thick collar that rose up around the edge of the glass, dissipating into lacing.
S: Light to moderate aromas of corn adjuncts are present in the nose along with notes of green grapes.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell and has flavors of corn and grapes along with hints of apples and a slight amount of sweetness.
M: It feels a bit shy of being medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: For an American Malt Liquor, this beer is pretty good. No alcohol flavors are present and the taste isn't really dominated by flavors of adjunct malts.

metter98, Nov 09, 2013
3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

A - Very clear, light gold. Large, light, sticky, foamy, white head. Disappears fast leaving a ring of lace. Typical malt liquor appearance.

S - Very light and not much on the nose. Some sweet maltiness with some corn aroma. Not offensive but not much going on here.

T - Much better than the nose and not bad for a malt liquor actually. Sweet maltiness is dominant with some honey. No vegetal taste and only a hint of corn. Some fruitiness with apple, of course, being strongest but some other orchard fruit. Fairly surprising.

M - Light body with lots of carbonation. Light and spritzy.

D - Alcohol is well hidden. Even though there is some of the apple flavor typical of the style, it isn't too strong nor does it have the ethel alcohol flavor. Not bad.

Notes: Surprisingly decent, especially for a cheap malt liquor. Not a good beer, but for what it is, it is good. No off-flavors or grape drank flavor for a malt liquor is nice. I can't really see getting this another time but I might if I want a malt liquor.

FreshHawk, Aug 16, 2012

JohnW58, Oct 13, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +44.2%

dpage27, Feb 22, 2013
2.73/5  rDev +5%

A-Pours a very clear straw color with a sad one finger head that dissipates very quickly.

S-Reminds me of a Munich Helles with a light sweet malt note and a hint of herbal hops.

T-Metallic twang with a slightly tannic grain note and some herbal hops on the finish.

M-Very light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation, with a crisp, clean finish.

D-Not as terrible as I imagined, but nothing mind-blowing either. One plus is that the alcohol is not noticeable at all for 7%, which I thought would be very present in a beer this light bodied/colored/flavored.

samie85, Oct 18, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -19.2%

It is beers like this one that have really earned me my stripes on The CANQuest (TM). You need only read carefully to understand just what is transpiring here. "Beer is brewed at/by another brewery." The CAN identifies it as being from Monroe, WI, home of my arch-nemesis, Minhas Craft Brewery. Oh boy.

I wondered about the name when I first bought it, but it is in honor of former CHISox slugger, Frank "Big Hurt" Thomas, which I like since CHI is my third-favorite North AmeriCAN city behind SF and Pittsburgh. Had I not latched onto the PGH sports teams as a kid, I would have been a CHI sports fan and Sox, not Cubs.

The Crack was good, but the Glug was a stop 'n' go affair as it simply wanted to foam up and be a general pain in the ass. The smell really activated my gag reflex with its combination of cotton CANdy, plastics factory and dry cleaning plant odors. Upon settling, I ended up with two rocky fingers of bone-white head with marginal retention. Loads of lacing in its wake as it fell. Color was a pale straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. It was as effervescent as Alka-Seltzer, which I may need after I am done with this. Bringing it up to my mouth, I caught a whiff of what smelled like hydrogen peroxide and I began to sweat. Suddenly, the heavy tramp of Cybermen could be heard in the alley behind my gate. I was once again going to be subsumed by dint of drinking a CANcoction unfit for humans. Curse you, Minhas, for being a front for these unfeeling aliens! My first sip was initially decent, with a full, creamy mouthfeel and an initial taste of vanilla, Twinkie-like, until I got hit with the rest of it. Let me now turn to Jeremy Gordon of TheClassical.org for his take: "two flavors stood out for me in Big Hurt: 1) sour and 2) gross, with an aftertaste that felt like I’d just spit out a mouthful of shaving cream. Other taste impressions written down: “sawdust pie”; “boiled down baby bottle nipples”; “burp-flavored Sour Patch Kids”; “Drano martini.” Ha! I would find that even more humorous were it not for the fact that my bodily functions were beginning to cease and my joints were turning into aluminum. You know, I always wondered what became of all of those CANs that I recycled, but now it dawns on me that they are made into Cybermen suits into which our brains are transferred. ALCOA is a shill for the Cybermen! I am selling my stock ASAP. Quiet! The Cyberleader is giving us our orders. I now love the taste of this beverage. It smells perfect. I really like the bone-dry aspect of the finish which renders it very refreshing inside of this metallic suit. I must buy more and pass it out to all of my acquaintances. The Cyberleader has spoken and I hear and obey.

woodychandler, Jun 24, 2013
3.13/5  rDev +20.4%

I remember making Frank Thomas the first pick in my fantasy baseball draft in 1993.

A - Light, golden colored beer. Transparent. Head that didn't stick around for long. Looks about as expected.

S - Swell like sweet light malts, corn, a bit of fructose. Slight be of herbal hops.

T - Actually, all things considered, the taste is fine. Sweet adjuncts, a little butter. Some light hopping on the end, a decent touch. It's fine.

M - Smooth, carbonated, medium bodied.

O - This is highly drinkable, and doesn't taste bad. I'm not saying it's good, but I didn't mind it at all.

AgentZero, Oct 20, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -0.8%

I had to grab one of these for the sake of the tick...
Served in an imperial pint.

Very clear yellow with a foamy white head of about a finger. Surprisingly nice retention, legs, and lacing.

Smells of boiled corn, vegetal hops, and sugary sweetness.
Virtually no bitterness at all.

Medium oily body with good carbonation.

Overall-- yikes. I won't get this again... It isn't terrible, but I prefer a thousand other options... The other can I bought will be headed out in my box for the disc golf BIF, but that was my intention anyway!

AleWatcher, Apr 21, 2012