Big Hurt Beer - Big Hurt Brewing Company

poor

Big Hurt Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Malt Liquor |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 10-15-2011)

3.58/5  rDev +37.7%

So while I was in Costco picking up some things. I grab a two bottles of Brother Thelonius, then look to my left. Who's sitting there?! "The Big Hurt" Frank Thomas. Behind him the good sized display of Big Hurt Beer. So I gave it a shot, good price, though I wasn't too enthused with the fact that it was in a can. The logo is crafty, but the can itself lacks a little pizzazz overall. After letting a few chill I poured the lager.
At first I was surprised at it's clarity and crisp smell. It has a nice head to it, nothing too overboard. The taste is mostly clean with bit of a back tongue grab. It's finish is clean and non lingering, and that's what I like in a lager. Overall it was somewhat better than what I was expecting.

3.25/5  rDev +25%

3.25/5  rDev +25%

3.2/5  rDev +23.1%

Served in a Stella glass (at in-laws).

A- Light golden/straw, 1 finger white head. Very little lacing.

S- Fairly sweet pilsner malts and slight aroma of lemon.

T- Sweet light malts, some sweetness. Again, some citrus, mainly lemon, flavors with a faint hop bite.

M- Light body and crisp.

O- Actually better than i was expecting. Would not buy it again, but would drink it over almost any macro.

3.13/5  rDev +20.4%

I remember making Frank Thomas the first pick in my fantasy baseball draft in 1993.

A - Light, golden colored beer. Transparent. Head that didn't stick around for long. Looks about as expected.

S - Swell like sweet light malts, corn, a bit of fructose. Slight be of herbal hops.

T - Actually, all things considered, the taste is fine. Sweet adjuncts, a little butter. Some light hopping on the end, a decent touch. It's fine.

M - Smooth, carbonated, medium bodied.

O - This is highly drinkable, and doesn't taste bad. I'm not saying it's good, but I didn't mind it at all.

3.13/5  rDev +20.4%

Can pour at the BevMo Holiday Beerfest held at Golden Road Brewing in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a clear light yellow with a foamy white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and some fruity aromas. Taste is much the same with a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is fairly drinkable and not all that bad for the style.

3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

This beer was better than I expected. If this is a malt liquor then its the best malt liquor I've ever had...I I had plenty in college. The beer pours a clear yellow with thin white head that initially fizzes then dissapates. The scent is sweet with presence of saaz hops. The taste is sweet with effervesance of grain and alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium body with good carbonation. Overall its ok...if the abv was dialed back to 5-5.5% it would be better.

3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

A - Very clear, light gold. Large, light, sticky, foamy, white head. Disappears fast leaving a ring of lace. Typical malt liquor appearance.

S - Very light and not much on the nose. Some sweet maltiness with some corn aroma. Not offensive but not much going on here.

T - Much better than the nose and not bad for a malt liquor actually. Sweet maltiness is dominant with some honey. No vegetal taste and only a hint of corn. Some fruitiness with apple, of course, being strongest but some other orchard fruit. Fairly surprising.

M - Light body with lots of carbonation. Light and spritzy.

D - Alcohol is well hidden. Even though there is some of the apple flavor typical of the style, it isn't too strong nor does it have the ethel alcohol flavor. Not bad.

Notes: Surprisingly decent, especially for a cheap malt liquor. Not a good beer, but for what it is, it is good. No off-flavors or grape drank flavor for a malt liquor is nice. I can't really see getting this another time but I might if I want a malt liquor.

3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

Oh, Alex...you and your malt liquors.

A - Pours golden yellow, white head, thick ring, spotty lace.

S - Herbal, sugary sweetness, corn. Oh jeez.

T - Not as bad as the nose suggests. Corn, light sugar water, fake stuff, no real alcohol notes.

M - Light to medium body, good carbonation, easy to drink.

O - Well, not a bad malt liquor, but nothing something I'd continue to drink on any regularity. Leave it to Alex to hook me up with stuff I'd never normally try (sometimes good, sometimes bad).

Frank Thomas played baseball about eleventy-billon times beer then this beer tasted. He's a HOFer, but this beer, is not.

3.08/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a 24 oz can into a masskrug. The white head stands about 1/2 inch pouring. Pale yellow body shows visible rising carbonation. Aroma is rather plain, light malt with a sweetness I can't exactly place, I want to say apple but that's not right. The taste comes in with a slight smoothness, I get some light sweetness as well as a odd funk like flavor. Mouthfeel is thicker than I expected, medium body with pretty good carbonation. Overall, not a beer I'd drink again, it's about what I expected from a malt liquor.

3.08/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

24oz can purchased at Binny's for $1.79. Served in a Glunz taster glass.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thick collar, and some wisps, as well as a bit of spotty lace. Transparent golden color.

S - Corn, yeasty bread, biscuits, and perhaps a vague hint of herbs and rotting garbage when it warms up. Still, much better than many adjunct lagers I've had in the past.

T - Taste is actually a bit better, as it's largely devoid of off-flavors. Generic adjunct character, with corn, buttery bread, sugar, ad honey. Manages to avoid being cloying, which is a pleasant surprise.

M - Smooth texture, medium-bodied, with pleasant, albeit gritty, carbonation. Surprisingly solid for a beer of this style. No obvious alcohol, although I didn't expect any at 7%.

D - One of the better tasting malt liquors I've had, although I suspect the lower ABV is a huge advantage. If this was 12% and tasted the same it'd be seriously impressive; as is, it's merely an above average higher-ABV adjunct lager. Would consider purchasing this at a ballgame over many of the other horrendous options (although US Cellular actually offers some good beers).

3.05/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Can (2012?)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, match1112!

Clear golden with a moderately sized white head that doesn't last long but does leave nice spiderwebs of lace down the glass. There's tons of visible carbonation bubbles rushing up from the bottom of the glass throughout the duration of my trip down Big Hurt Lane. For the style...this is actually pretty!

The aroma, on the other hand, is nothing to rave about...but I have smelled much, much worse! So there's that! A lot of corn and rubbing alcohol, but what would a proper malt liquor be without the dreadful aromas of stale, damp corn and booze.
Edit: As it warms, this smells more and more terrible.

The problem with this beer is that you have to smell it as you put it to your lips. The beer actually tastes much, much better than it smells...dare I say: better than average? Though, admittedly, I have very little experience with one of my least favorite styles: good ol' American malt liquor. Flavors of corn, grain, grass, and alcohol combine for something admittedly drinkable.

Medium bodied for the style with high carbonation.

Real talk...it's not that bad! It just smells foul.

And, this makes me feel like I'm back in college. So it has that going for it.

Big Hurt Beer from Big Hurt Brewing Company