What The Floc - Liquid Hero Brewery

Liquid Hero Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: RblWthACoz on 10-14-2013

3.94/5  rDev n/a

Cloudy copper in color. The nose is mildly hoppy but it is not as pungent as I imagined after reading the description on the can.

This is a malt forward DIPA. There is a pleasant sweet note that gives way to a fruity but bitter finish.

This offering is tasty but it really seems to be more of an American Barleywine than a DIPA. (335 characters)

3.91/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The backlog is beginning to move again and I am excited and stoked to re-energize The CANQuest (tm)! I picked this up at The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop and I am looking forward to it.

From the CAN: "Flocculation is a term used in brewing to describe what happens when yeast comes out of suspension after fermentation. The shortened version of the word, floc, has become our new favorite F word around the brewery"; "We hopped the floc out of this beer and we're extra proud of it ... and then we added extra malt to hold it all together. Look for a big aroma of citrus and pine ... so big that we used a bigger [CAN]. Pounder! We hope you hop heads enjoy this DIPA so much that your tongue is like: WTF?!? Cheers! [undersigned] Matt[,] Josh & Christian"; "Unfiltered [-] Keep This CAN Cold"; "Hand Crafted in Small 5BBL batches"; "Drink the Beer Recycle the CAN".

The CAN reads "Unfliltered" and I promised #TheOldLady that I would never do an inverted Glug on a CAN that is either so labeled or if it says to pour gently. The Crack revealed a brimful CAN and I initiated a gentle pour so as not to stir things up. I still managed to create a finger of dense, tawny head with decent retention that created nice lacing when it fell. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Its age was beginning to show on the now-caramel malt forward nose with an underlying mintiness. Mouthfeel was medium. The hops had definitely faded, but with an initial measurement of 120+ IBUs, I was not unhappy. The alcohol had not faded and it had a fusel burn that combined with the mintiness of the hops to tickle my sinuses while the caramel of the malt acted as a foil to the heat. Warming, it began to take on a viscosity and even greater heat! This must be a killer when fresh. The finish was dry, hot and then, when I inhaled, cool. I was put in mind of smoking a menthol cigarette in my youth. (1,927 characters)

3.59/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a bronze/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is hoppy, pine, some resin. Taste is of piney hops, but not as strong as the smell would suggest, a good malt backbone, mild bitterness. Alcohol is well hidden. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer. (377 characters)

4.09/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Great copper color and look with sticky malty lacings. Citrussy aromas and flavor but a little thin with feel. Higher ABV is well masked by the flavors and aroma. Live the 16oz can. (181 characters)

3.5/5  rDev n/a

I thought this to be perhaps a rich above average.
On first crack and pour there was some hoppy aromas but settled into a more older smelling ale
Taste was okay but again faded into malty staleness.
Hop presence was very lean. (226 characters)

3.15/5  rDev n/a

Poured from a 16 oz can into a teku glass.

Smells of rich malt and citrusy, piney, hops. Tastes much like a barley wine up front. Very sweet malt and finishes with a bitter hop flavor. Surprisingly drinkable for a high abv brew due to the heavy malt content...perhaps too much. Would not purchase this again...not impressed.

Cheers! (334 characters)

3.78/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer better be good. I grabbed 4 singles out of the cooler and it was $18!! What the floc indeed.

Pours dark; brown amber. Nose is strong piney resin. Flavor is much of the same with a sickly sweet thing going on and a salty edge too. This really gets my sinuses going into overdrive. As it’s a “170-ish IBU” brew, it’s going for the outlandish and is pulling it off. I wouldn’t mind a bit more finesse though. A very east coast IPA. (450 characters)

What The Floc from Liquid Hero Brewery
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.