HeroWeizen - Liquid Hero Brewery

good

Liquid Hero Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Slatetank on 04-09-2013)
3.78/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hazy rather than turbid yellow color with a thick, rocky head.

Bananas and cloves in the nose, very nice. There is also a bit of heat and some simple syrup. Taste follows the smell; very nice traditional hefe elements are on display, but this is a bit "big" and a bit too sweet. Good beer overall though, my glass was empty quick and I wanted another.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

I have been slacking where The CANQuest ™ is CANcerned, reducing and eradicating my interminable bottle backlog, but I am now rededicated to the real mission, which is to review EVERY CANned beer in existence. I love the guys at Liquid Hero and have even been over to visit their digs in York, PA. When they began CANning, they knew of my affinity for beer in metal cylinders and began bringing me some at various events. Things bogged down while awaiting picture approval, but now, all is in readiness.

From the CAN: “A light bodied, wheat color [H]efeweizen complete with all of the unique flavors a true [H]efeweizen has to offer. Our HeroWeizen features a pleasantly subtle banana and clove taste; courtesy of the yeast. Try mixing this with our Schweet Ale to have your mind blown … Cheers! [undersigned] Matt [,] Josh & Christian”.

Oh, so they feel empowered to suggest blends. Try the Schweet/Hero/Adam on for size, you boys! It becomes a Strawberry Vanilla Banana Split with Chocolate topping! Tra la la, la la la. One banana, two banana, three banana, four! These bananas make a split and so do many more! Tra la la, la la la. Cue up The Dickies closing another of their infamous gigs and let’s get on with the review.

Being that it is a Hefeweizen, I agitated it a bit before Crack!ing it open. I let it resettle and then watched as it revealed a brimful CAN. My inverted Glug brought the head right up to the lip of the glass, threatening to overflow it before reCANsidering the CANsequences and settling back down. The two-plus fingers of eggshell-white head were rocky and soapy and huffed and puffed their way out of existence and into wispiness. Color was a cloudy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 – 5). Nose seemed to be an equal admixture of clove and banana so I remained happy. Mouthfeel was medium with a good bit of carbonation in evidence. The taste was heavy on the cloves and I was reminded of Clove Life Savers from when I was a kid! Bananas? Yes, we have very few bananas! The esters were primarily clove with just a hint of banana, especially on the finish. This was an incredibly dry, spicy version of the style and as long as they CANtinue to make it this way, I will remain a fan. Inhaling after the finish, I felt as though I had just smoked a clove cigarette. Phew. This ain’t gonna be for everybody, but it was right down the pike for me!

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of bananas, a bit of spice. Taste is banana, a good bit of wheat, some spice, a touch of tartness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

3.34/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at the brewery tasting room. served in a pint.

The color is deep golden with light haze and white head with fine bead. The smell is lightly fruity with a spice element characteristic of the style with yeast esters givng a slight banana odor. The feel is more bitter than most and a little dry but is refreshing with a good amount of carbonation.

The taste is pretty decent with some wheat malt and light spice from the yeast yet there is a hop flavor that seems a little higher than average in this and the alcohol is a little noticeable compared to most hefeweizens with some lemon tinges to accent the malt. The overall is this is ok, but not a great example of the style. It is not something I would probably order frequently.

HeroWeizen from Liquid Hero Brewery