Irregardless IPA - Liquid Hero Brewery

Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Slatetank on 05-20-2013

Ratings: 142 | Reviews: 22
Reviews by Diplomat11:

Just try it. New England thinks they have the IPA game on lockdown, they don't.

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #86 (Mar 2014):

Grapefruit, Bitter, Catty, Grassy

A bit of an onslaught of hops in this can. Flavorful mix of old-school hops, like Nugget and Centennial, and the more current or trendy high-alpha-acid varieties Citra and Bravo all make for a beautiful mashup of hop complexities. Sure to please the hopheads.

STYLE: American IPA | ABV: 6.5% | AVAILABILITY: Year-round

3.59/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a beige color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of citrus, hops. Taste is hoppy, but less so than the smell, a mild bitterness, some citrus, just a bit of pine. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an easy drinking and solid beer.

3.74/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Al's of Hampden, Enola, PA

A: The beer is relatively clear amber in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with some delicate lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of caramel malts are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste is rather malty for an IPA and has lots of flavors of caramel malts along with notes of citrusy hops—grapefruit seems to stand out in particular. There is a light to moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is rather well balanced between the malts and hops and isn't overly bitter. It pairs well with food.

4.19/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got this from a friend who lives in PA. Pours a super cloudy orange color with a foamy white head. Leaves plenty of lacing around the glass. Smells like grapefruit, orange, mango, and a little pine. Taste follows the nose. Just a great amount of grapefruit. You can tell this is Citra without even looking at the label. A good malt backbone too that evens everything out nicely. Mouthfeel is where this gets interesting. Really smooth and velvety, unlike many IPAs out there. If I were to guess I'd say they used some rye in this one. The haze would also suggest that. Carbonation is a bit low. This mouthfeel is just like Alpine Nelson, except just a tad bit under carbonated. Overall, a really good IPA. Is it as good as Zombie Dust? Probably not, but if you can get your hands on this grab it. I'd call it a poor man's ZD or Pseudo.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz can received via Growling at the Moon. Thanks for the brew, Dain!

Pours into an imperial pint glass, forming a frothy 1/2" light beige head over the cloudy golden amber brew. Head is in for the long haul, with lasting lace. Aroma is sweet and citrus.

Taste is sweet upfront, citrus in the middle, and more citrus through the close, coupled with moderate bitterness. Mouthfeel is smooth and easy, and drinkability is excellent as well. What's not to love here?

I have been slacking where The CANQuest ™ is CANcerned, reducing and eradicating my interminable bottle backlog, but I am now rededicated to the real mission, which is to review EVERY CANned beer in existence. I love the guys at Liquid Hero and have even been over to visit their digs in York, PA. When they began CANning, they knew of my affinity for beer in metal cylinders and began bringing me some at various events. Things bogged down while awaiting picture approval, but now, all is in readiness.

From the CAN: “Citra hops are cool, they taste heavenly, and we like using them in this beer. All you hop heads are well taken care of in the hop department with this IPA and all non hop heads will do just fine with this IPA. Irregardless of whether or not you like hops, this IPA will not disappoint. Best of all, it comes in a [CAN]. Cheers! [undersigned] Matt [,] Josh & Christian”.

I love it when I Crack! a CAN open and I get a little spritz due to its being brimful. This CAN only lead to an inverted Glug! The resulting pseudo-cascade was a pleasure to behold and created three fingers of dense, tawny head with excellent retention. Once more, it was my opportunity to indulge in a diacetyl rest and wait for things to settle down, surfing the ‘net in the interim. Finally, things were in readiness, but I was left with sticky lacing that was going to require a chisel to remove. Color was a slightly-hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose left no question as to why the Heroes chose Citra as their hop of choice. It had the requisite cattiness of good dank, reminding one of the fact that hops and M.J. are closely related. I broke out in a sweat as I reached into the drawer for my hose so that I could tie off as the hops monkey on my back began to screech and howl. I ain’t just a hophead, I am a hops junkie and although I am usually just in maintenance, there are those times that my addiction cries out for a fix. Geezing up, the mouthfeel was medium, but who cares? Gimme dem hops, man! The cattiness of the flavor washed across my tongue and into my veins and suddenly, I was flying. You dig, Daddy-O? Oh, man, I was getting right and #TheOld Lady was coming over for the weekend. I find it righteous the way she knows just how to bring me out of orbit and back to Earth. Speaking of which, warming, it had a great, earthy maltiness to go along with the hops. I untied and put the gear away, not out of a sense of embarrassment or unwillingness to get caught, but more to avoid further temptation. Oh, man, I’m sweating like a pig now, and #TheOldLady is gonna want me to jump in the shower with her when she gets home. We are big believers in water CANservation, which is why we drink beer, not water and we try to shower together as much as possible, but our core mantra is “Really save water – drink beer while showering with a friend!” and I don’t feel like sharing right about now. I gotta check the stash, ‘cause if there are two in there, we’re golden, otherwise, I’m gonna Bogart that other CAN and #TheOldLady is on her own. Yay, two CANs remaining. I sat back and let the dry finish of this gem wash over my psyche like nobody’s business. You will hate it, so I recommend leaving it all for me and #TheOldLady to drink. No? Hey, I CAN only try …

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a light hazy copper with over a finger of head that enjoys good retention. The lace left behind by the receding head is nice and thick. The hoppiness in the nose is mild. The flavor profile is well balanced between malt and hops. The finish is pleasantly bitter.

3.62/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from the can. Orange-y, somewhat hazy amber color.

All grapefruits in the nose at first, then more bread-y.

Up front bitterness from the hops, a bit of sweetness in the finish.

This is called "Irregardless IPA" because on the can it says "Irregardless of whether or not you like hops, this IPA will not disappoint." I disagree. It's quite bitter, and if you're not a fan of hops, you're not going to be a fan of this. I also disagree with the use of the word 'irregardless', but I suppose I can make an exception for alliteration in this case.

3.71/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can, no date.

can was a bit over carbonated, it overflowed when cracked, and pours too big of a head. dark copper in color, off-white head. nice well rounded hoppy aroma - citrus, earth, floral all mixed in there. taste is hop dominant, but balanced with some crystal malt. not bitter at all. medium body and carbonation.

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%

There is no canning date or B/D so age is unk.
Very tropical smelling from citra hops. I get mangoes, passionfruit, and peaches.

On the pour the head explodes in my glass and i need to wait several minutes to finish the pour. A beige head that's dense and lingers a good while.
The body has a rich clear amber color.

The taste is good. The taste is hoppy with a clear finishing bitterness, but the hop aroma present in the nose is absent from the taste. Not very balanced with malts really being very light and delegated to a minor role.
The trend nowadays is the showcasing of hops but I still like to see some balance too.
Overall I liked this beer it was pretty good despite the lean flavor.

4.08/5  rDev +6%

The best local IPA I've had the pleasure of sampling. Beautiful, unfiltered color with a pungent citra nose. Goes down really smooth, begging for another mouthful. The pride of York, PA.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Weathered copper orange in color and murky, with amber hues along the edge of the glass. Poured with a dense off-white foam that slowly reduced to a soapy cap that left thick, sticky lacings on the glass. Intense, fresh, tropical citrus aromas, pineapple, grapefruit, and tangerine with strong sweet caramel malt backbone and pine hop notes in the background. Creamy smooth feel with rich, soft carbonation through the middle and a light tangy, dry finish. Ripe pineapple and tropical fruit flavors with sweet, sticky, caramel malt beneath. Pine hop flavors emerged from the middle to the end. Finished semi-dryly with a lingering pine hop aftertaste. Very tasty!

3.36/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. can poured into a tulip glass.

A- a light amber with a whole lot of chill haze. A thin off white head dissipates pretty quickly.

S- very sweet. Blood orange, peach, and mango abound.

T- taste unfortunately falls short of the aroma. Lays down a weak base of generic bitterness, some mild bready malt, and a mainly orange hop flavor. Little depth or complexity. Bitterness is consistent throughout, but not overwhelming.

M- Medium bodied, a bit sharp on the palette due to the bitterness that while not overwhelming, never really backs off.

O- I had high hopes, and they were dashed. I'd certainly not turn one down, but for the money, there's much better options.

3.85/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this on tap at Al's of Hampden in Enola, served in a tulip pint chilled.

The color is dark copper with mild haziness and thin beiged cream with average bead. The smell is citrus tinged with some mild pine hop aromas and light malt scent. The feel is good with a nicely balanced malt backing up a pretty agressive amount of bitterness from the hops with somehwat high carbonation and mostly dry finish.

The flavor has some orange rind and light pine hop with a good amount of caramel malt backing the bitterness which is sharp in the taste at times and spicy but not over the top. The finsh is oily with hop resin and has a drying effect on the palate making it taste stronger than it is. I liked this beer it is more focused on hop bitterness than hop flavor though and is better than average but not exceptional.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

From 01/24/13 notes.

a - Pours a somewhat hazy amber color with two inches of white head and light to moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, fruity malts, grapefruit, light pine hops, and earthy notes. Nice nose, lots of citrus up front to it.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, fruity malts, pale malts, grains, earthy notes, light floral notes. nice taste though not quite as hoppy as the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Light to moderate bitterness.

o - Overall a nice IPA. Light bitterness but otherwise easy to drink, nice a lot of nice citrus hops in the nose. Worth checking out.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Recommended by a dude at the Craft Beer Outlet in Philadelphia as an exceptional local IPA. 75 IBUs.

No canning date evident.

a: Clear copper with a finger thick tan head.

s: Pine and citrus

t: Piney hop bite over medium caramel malt base.

m: Medium, good body,.

o: A tasty brew. The malt overpowers the hop flavors, but I like that.

4.36/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Tried at Philadelphia Navy Yard brewfest. I tried probably 20+ IPAs and this was one of two I found best. Other was The Kragle by Free Will.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

a: A slightly hazy amber golden color; poured with a thick, sticky head.

s: Caramel balanced by fairly potent piney lemon.

t: Mirrors the smell. Not hopnoxious but there is a nice lingering, bitter grassy tingle.

m: Slick and creamy.

o: Good stuff, nicely balanced IPA.

3.62/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A glowing hazy orange body, topped by three fingers of bone china white colored rocky foam. Good drippy lace.

Big fresh inviting orange aroma.

Sweet beginning, doesn't lay a strong foundation. Citrus middle, fleeting. Strong bitter bite at the swallow. Nicely aggressive.

Solid with a bit of prickly mouthfeel.

Good but not great, not a super hero.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Deep copper color with a finger of white head no lacing. Dank citrus aroma, some pine and malt sweetness. Flavor is dank and grassy lemon and lots of sweet camel malt. Chewy but drinkable. It's got a nice aroma but it's kinda average.

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

Had sample at SN Beer Camp Philly

A-Hazy orange-amber body, medium sized white head and soapy lacing.

S-Grapefruit, pine, florals, and grainy malts aromas.

T-The taste is similar to the aroma, can taste some of the citra hops, yum.

M-Mouthfeel gives a medium to full bodied, moderate carbonation, sweet, assertive bitterness.

O-Overall a great IPA was definetly glad to have sampled. Would buy some.

Irregardless IPA from Liquid Hero Brewery