Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Schweet Ale - Liquid Hero Brewery

Beer added by: Rifugium on 05-31-2013

Reviews by BeerForMuscle:

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #86 (Mar 2014):

Strawberry, Bready

Fruit beers need to impress us. Liquid Hero goes right for the usual fruit-ladened wheat, and the star of the show is strawberry. The wheat base holds things together but does nothing else. For what this beer is, it ends up being pretty tasty. There is no razzmatazz or wow factor, but it works.

STYLE: Strawberry Wheat Ale | ABV: 5.2% | AVAILABILITY: Year-round (428 characters)

3.6/5  rDev n/a

3.33/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Liquid Hero Brewery "Schweet Ale"
12 oz. can, no apparent freshness dating

Appearance: Clear deep gold in color. Short head of bright white. Limited head retention and lacing.

Aroma: Strawberry, sweetish, slightly phenolic in a bad way.

Flavor: Off phenols remain (possibly high fermentation temperature?), but it's otherwise quite nice. Strawberry seems artificial ( is the phenol actually a chemical component?). Sweetish, but not quite cloying - a tad sticky in the lingering finish. Some leafy hops are present, mainly displaying themselves in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and nicely crisp.

Overall: Flawed. I hate to review beers like this because it could simply be a one time issue and now I'll have to try to find another sample (of a beer which might still be flawed). Had it been clean I'd have been quite pleased. It seems to have given me a headache and a flushed face, which I only get when higher alcohols are present, but in this case it could be from something in strawberry extract. Not pleasant. (1,026 characters)

4.27/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

An excellent strawberry wheat ale. A nice light golden color. Strong strawberry smell, but the fruit flavor is not overwhelming like some fruity wheat beers. "Schweet", but not sickeningly sweet. Very drinkable, great for a thirsty summer afternoon. (249 characters)

2/5  rDev n/a

3.65/5  rDev n/a

A big thanks to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is exploding with strawberries. Taste is also full of strawberry, a bit of wheat, slight sweetness, very easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer. (317 characters)

4.27/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a very good strawberry wheat beer. The strawberry smell and taste are pronounced, yet are not overpowering. My fiancee is not really a beer drinker and she tried it first and loved it. So I was not sure I would like it, but I was very surprised how much I did like it. It is very refreshing. (299 characters)

4.06/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I'm amazed I like this; got talked into it by my wife & the bartender @ The Hodle Tavern, New Freedom PA. I normally would run screaming away from any beer with a fruit component. At first, I thought the backtaste was honey; only when I went on line @Liquid Hero did I understand that the taste was a very light touch of strawberry. This is now my wife's favorite craft beer. I must say that the taste is light enough that the quality of the ale isn't swallowed by the hint of strawberry. Since then I've had the opportunity to talk to the brewers at their excellent small ale house and they will soon be bottling this as well as their outstanding Irregardless Pale Ale (669 characters)

2/5  rDev n/a

4.25/5  rDev n/a

2.25/5  rDev n/a

3.25/5  rDev n/a

I have been slacking where The CANQuest ™ is CANcerned, reducing and eradicating my interminable bottle backlog, but I am now rededicated to the real mission, which is to review EVERY CANned beer in existence. I love the guys at Liquid Hero and have even been over to visit their digs in York, PA. When they began CANning, they knew of my affinity for beer in metal cylinders and began bringing me some at various events. Things bogged down while awaiting picture approval, but now, all is in readiness.

From the CAN: “This beer does not require one to like fruit beers. This unique strawberry wheat ale has enough strawberry flavor to satisfy, but not too much to turn you off. Good on flavor, not on fruitiness. It’s schweet and it’s in a [CAN]! Cheers! [undersigned] Matt [,] Josh & Christian”.

Schweet?!? Neat! Sweet! Petite! I shall suck on its teat with my teeth!

I heard the Crack! and looked in at the brimful CAN. My elation was such that an inverted Glug was in order and this produced two-plus fingers of rocky, fizzy, eggshell-white head with very limited retention. Color was a hazy/slightly cloudy Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7). Nose had a light strawberry fruitiness, but restrained by the tartness of the wheat, which could also be discerned on the nose. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery. I loved the taste! It was strawberry, at first, then a tart bite from the wheat to keep the sweetness in check and from being cloying. Not to be sexist, but I had a LOT of female colleagues as a teacher who would tell me that they disliked the taste of beer. I would be willing to bet that they would like this one, if they tried it. At 5.2% ABV, it is just over the threshold for being Sessionable, but this would be easy to drink on a hot, humid Summer’s day. Finish left me with a lingering taste of strawberries. Yum yum. (1,851 characters)

Schweet Ale from Liquid Hero Brewery
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.