Adam's Stout - Liquid Hero Brewery

American Stout |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Rifugium on 05-31-2013

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.48/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.66/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz can that produced insane head. Maybe 6 fingers or more from a moderate pour. Loads of carbonation. Dark chocolate brown color with think brown head that lingers and laces. I'm impressed already and wasn't expecting much. Aromas of coffee beans, but not overpowering espresso, with cocoa and dark chocolate. Very traditional old school stout smell. Taste is bitter dark chocolate, coffee and vanilla It is not a complex beer. Vanilla is real subtle. I taste it in aftertaste only. Barely bitter in my book. Lighter in the mouth than it looked which is a little disappointing. Goes down dry and smooth. Had an all world look to it, smell wasn't bad either but a little thin in the mouth and on taste. I could drink a few of these watching a game though. Great tailgating stout.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

I have been slacking where The CANQuest ™ is CANcerned, reducing and eradicating my interminable bottle backlog, but I am now rededicated to the real mission, which is to review EVERY CANned beer in existence. I love the guys at Liquid Hero and have even been over to visit their digs in York, PA. When they began CANning, they knew of my affinity for beer in metal cylinders and began bringing me some at various events. Things bogged down while awaiting picture approval, but now, all is in readiness.

From the CAN: “When we were brewing in our garage, Adam was our very first Brew Pal; helping us brew beer on several occasions. Once, he asked if we could brew a stout. So we did and shared it with him and we simply named it Adam’s Stout. The recipe has changed since then, but the name stayed the same! Cheers! [undersigned] Matt [,] Josh & Christian”.

There are so many things that I love about CANned beers, BPA be damned! One is the auditory nature of the Crack!, usually followed by the visual of looking into a brimful CANtainer, proceeded by an inverted Glug, resulting in a pseudo-cascade. This one had all of the above! The three-plus fingers of dense, deep-tan showed no signs of letting up, so I took a diacetyl rest and surfed the ‘net while waiting for it to fall. At last! But look at all of that sticky lacing it left behind! Who is going to clean that up? Adam had better plan on coming by, since it was his beer to begin with. Color was Opaque Black (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. Nose was very roasty and smoky, but I was not really smelling much in the way of vanilla. Mouthfeel was full and creamy. The taste was not as bitter and charcoal as I girded myself for, based on the nose. Instead, it had more of a coffee ice cream flavor. I like coffee ice cream, so there was no problem in terms of taste. However, if you were expecting a vanilla-driven experience, you would be in for a letdown. Finish was dry, smoky, slightly bitter, but definitely a stout.

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

3.67/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-almost perfect looking beer! Plus a deep black color with excellent light brown head that lasts and lasts. There is a quarter inch thick ring of lacing the entire time. The lacing actually sticks to the glass and stays there! Only one beer I've ever had that looks better...Guinness.
S-coffe bean and cocoa bean shine through. Typical stout smell.
T-bitter dark chocolate and coffee taste. Not much complexity or balance. I do not detect the vanilla at all but wish I did. This beer could use something sweet to counter the bitter.
M-full bodied and smooth. Goes down smooth. Little dry but good.
0-appearance is the star here. Smell is great but the rest is average. I like that it's in a can though. Good to take to the races!!

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »