Adam's Stout - Liquid Hero Brewery

good

Liquid Hero Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Stout |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Rifugium on 05-31-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.71/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

I have been slacking where The CANQuest ™ is CANcerned, reducing and eradicating my interminable bottle backlog, but I am now rededicated to the real mission, which is to review EVERY CANned beer in existence. I love the guys at Liquid Hero and have even been over to visit their digs in York, PA. When they began CANning, they knew of my affinity for beer in metal cylinders and began bringing me some at various events. Things bogged down while awaiting picture approval, but now, all is in readiness.

From the CAN: “When we were brewing in our garage, Adam was our very first Brew Pal; helping us brew beer on several occasions. Once, he asked if we could brew a stout. So we did and shared it with him and we simply named it Adam’s Stout. The recipe has changed since then, but the name stayed the same! Cheers! [undersigned] Matt [,] Josh & Christian”.

There are so many things that I love about CANned beers, BPA be damned! One is the auditory nature of the Crack!, usually followed by the visual of looking into a brimful CANtainer, proceeded by an inverted Glug, resulting in a pseudo-cascade. This one had all of the above! The three-plus fingers of dense, deep-tan showed no signs of letting up, so I took a diacetyl rest and surfed the ‘net while waiting for it to fall. At last! But look at all of that sticky lacing it left behind! Who is going to clean that up? Adam had better plan on coming by, since it was his beer to begin with. Color was Opaque Black (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. Nose was very roasty and smoky, but I was not really smelling much in the way of vanilla. Mouthfeel was full and creamy. The taste was not as bitter and charcoal as I girded myself for, based on the nose. Instead, it had more of a coffee ice cream flavor. I like coffee ice cream, so there was no problem in terms of taste. However, if you were expecting a vanilla-driven experience, you would be in for a letdown. Finish was dry, smoky, slightly bitter, but definitely a stout.

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-almost perfect looking beer! Plus a deep black color with excellent light brown head that lasts and lasts. There is a quarter inch thick ring of lacing the entire time. The lacing actually sticks to the glass and stays there! Only one beer I've ever had that looks better...Guinness.
S-coffe bean and cocoa bean shine through. Typical stout smell.
T-bitter dark chocolate and coffee taste. Not much complexity or balance. I do not detect the vanilla at all but wish I did. This beer could use something sweet to counter the bitter.
M-full bodied and smooth. Goes down smooth. Little dry but good.
0-appearance is the star here. Smell is great but the rest is average. I like that it's in a can though. Good to take to the races!!

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Dark brown body, red-brown highlights, topped by four fingers of light tan rocky foam.
Stretchy lace.

Roast coffee/mocha aroma.

Roast coffee notes. Not much else. Not getting any vanilla (or chocolate notes for that matter. Very mild hoppiness/bitterness.

Smooth medium, maybe medium plus mouthfeel.

Inoffensive, but not much else.

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%