NoDaRyeZ'd - NoDa Brewing Company

NoDaRyeZ'd
No picture uploaded.

NoDa Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

(Beer added by: thagr81us on 10-29-2011)
3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: Golden amber, Finger of head and slight lacing

Smell: Hop-forward as expected, citrus.

Taste: A tasty rye IPA, but sweet mother is it bitter! I had this on the heels of a Porter, so my fault for setting it up for trouble. I like rye beer a lot, and want to try this again as a standalone

Mouthfeel: Solid, but then again, I was ready to send it down the hatch due to the bitterness.

I am not excited about this offering, yet I will try it again.

BeatBama, Jan 14, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours an amber color. Half inch head.

Smells of alpha acids. Very bittering hops, smells like an English ipa. I cant discern citric or piney hops, it all smells bitter to me.

Taste is loaded with alpha acids. Hops are slick, probably because they were added in the boil. Very bitter, scary bitter.

Body is light for the amount of hops in this thing. It kind of feels like the just kept adding hops to he boil.

VncentLIFE, Dec 10, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

on-tap, snifter treatment at the brewery

appearance: nice branded snifter (could do without the URL, but hey, they're new...), bright orange body, fluffy white cap

smell: citrusy hops, big sweet caramel core

taste: some spice from the rye but mostly structural support for the hop profile - oily pine and citrus, moderate bitterness, chewy caramel and dough. Good stuff - a nice introduction

mouthfeel: big-bodied, moderate bitterness

overall: straight out of the gates with the Rye DIPA - nice

dirtylou, Nov 24, 2011

CBlack85, Nov 18, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into a Noda snifter at the grand opening of the tap room.

A: Pours a brilliant honey orange color with a finger and a half of white head.

S: Bread and subtle caramel butterscotch (not diacetyl) followed by piney, citrusy hops. Neither dominates the nose of this beer, which tells me I'm in for a well balance DIPA.

T: Similar to the nose with a bready, caramel butterscotch flavor and a nice, balanced hop presence. There is a slight alcohol burn in the finish but not enough to make this one undrinkable. Very nice rye double IPA.

M: Creamy smooth with perfect carbonation for the style.

O: This is a really good rye double IPA. I can see myself drinking this and the Coco Loco porter on a pretty regular basis. I should also mention that I have been on an IPA kick lately, so my palate may have been less sensitive to hops when I had this beer.

samtallica, Oct 29, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Had at the grand opening. Double Rye IPA. Served from tap into a NoDa snifter. Pour red orange with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a very minimal amount slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, and earth. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, rue, citrus hop, and sweet alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The rye on this one was definitely present. It had a nice bite but was balanced nicely with the citrus aspect going on. You can tell this is a slightly high ABV brew, but it isn't abrasive by any means. A definite must try. Tick.

thagr81us, Oct 29, 2011