Hop, Drop 'n Roll - NoDa Brewing Company

Beer added by: syrupjoe on 12-02-2011

Reviews: 190 | Hads: 1,732
Reviews by stakem:
3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks Kegatron for sharing this pounder can with me. Pours a pale copper color with slight haze. Decent off-white cap with typical retaining powers.

The smell is primarily compromised of citrus hoppiness with a bit of rindy quality. Little to no malt and alcohol inclusion. Overall nice.

The taste is piney hops with bitter pith and rindy fruit elements. A slight indication of grass and like the nose, little to no alcohol and maltiness.

This is a light bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. This brew has a good balance of character and is easy drinking. I would have this again.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer is phenomenal. Amazing, thick aroma with grapefruit, orange, grass, and a biscuity dankness. Taste is ridiculous. Just a juicy, dank, hoppy, resinous IPA with great balance and flavor. The hops are in your face, but the right amount of maltiness softens the blow. Feels a bit sticky, which I love in an IPA. One it warms a bit it really opens up and almost drinks like a DIPA. Props to NoDa for this beer. Its easily one of the best IPAs I've ever had.

Also - Just did a side by side with Heady and this beer easily won. I don't know how fresh the Heady is that I got in a trade, but it couldn't stand up to the HDR. Call me crazy, I'm just calling it like I taste it.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A hazy, glowing light copper color with an orange hue. An aggressive pour produces a good head stand of rock to creamy off-white bubbles. The foam has a lasting head retention and leaves a light lacing on the glass.

A strong hops aroma, smelling of citrus, orange, pineapple and a bit of resinous pine. There is a fairly strong herbal and grass dry hopped aroma in there along with a mostly clean malt sweetness with notes of caramel. There is a slight alcohol sweetness as well.

An aggressive hops bitterness with lots of citrus hops flavor dominate. The hops bring strong flavors of pineapple, orange and a bit of orange peel along with a bit of pine and moderately-strong herbal flavors. There is a moderately-light sweetness that is mostly malt along with some alcohol towards the dry finish. There is a lingering hops bitterness with a citrus aftertaste.

A medium bodied beer with a moderate creaminess and a medium-strong level of carbonation.

A remarkable IPA, the hops really shine in this beer with a depth of American Citrus hop aromas and flavors dominating. The bitterness is solid but balanced making for an awesome beer.

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Good to see I can get bottles of this beer now in GSO.Poured into an imperial nonic a deep burnt orange with a great looking lacey white head,it looks creamy and left a nice sheet of lace as it settled into a frothy mass.Tropical fruits abound in the nose along with some sugary sweetness and more mild herbal hop notes,great hop complexity.Tropical fruits on the palate as well along with big herbal/grassy flavors,there is a sugary base along with some biscuit but it doesn't interfere with the big hops.For me this is easiest the best beer I have had from NoDa,the hop profile is just great,probably one of the two or three best "big" IPA's brewed around here.

4.69/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

All I can say is that I think this beer deserves serious consideration in the top 10-15 IPA's in the country. Talk about balance, I think this beer is on the precipice of genius

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a burnt orange with a 1 finger white head that lingers for a while. Light carbonation runs up the glass and the body is fairly clean and clear. The smell is pine up front. Fairly muted. A little bready malt in there with a touch of sweetness coming though as well. First sip is bitter pine with some orange mixed in there. The finish is tongue-punchingly bitter. Medium body and coats the tongue completely. Bitterness lingers for a while.

This is a good beer for those who like bitter, pine bombs. It's well made and very drinkable but not my favorite.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from the 16 ounce can into a snifter.

Copper in color, but dark enough to be approach amber, the beer is darkened by a bit of haze. A nice, persistent head sits atop the body, creamy, fluffy and frothy with a cream color. Lace forms in abundance around the glass. 4.25

So much fruitiness is on the nose of this beer. It's got the citrus but also strawberry that with the sweetness suggest strawberries and cream. My daughter would probably mistake this for a smoothie. There is a resinous aroma beneath the more prominent sweetness. 4.5

There's just as much fruitiness on the tongue, but also a huge bitterness. This is an aggressive brew. Still, it manages to be quite sweet as well, and I get a bit of caramel. Towards the finish the strawberry rears its head again and I love it. For me, this is entirely unique. I haven't had another IPA with that level of fruitiness. 4.5

I mentioned strawberries and cream on the nose, but this feel like a creamy concoction. It's smooth and medium- to heavy-bodied and very filling. There's big sweetness balanced by huge bitterness, and a dryer finish with a tad of astringency. 4.5

This beer is exceptional. It's a gem in all rights, but the huge berry aromas and nose are just stunning. 4.43

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow so much balance has to be a top 10 ipa

3.57/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

American IPA brewed with Citra, Amarillo, Centennial, Warrior, and Chinook hops. Poured from a 16oz can into a Goose Island tulip. The pour is slightly hazy, apricot in color, and sports a creamy eggshell white head that retains quite well. Lots of bitter, oily, sappy hop aromas on the nose. Pinetrees, flowers, grass, and grapefruit.

Medium body and hop-forward flavor. Marmalade, honey, bread, and citrus fruit. Kind of a syrupy, resiny bitterness instead of the bright, fruity bitterness that I prefer. The balance is not bad, but the hop bill just isn't working for me. I'm no brewer, but is it a good idea to use five different hop varieties in one beer? The beer can't decide if it wants to taste like pinetrees, rosehips, or a big juicy orange. Everything is muddled and the resulting bitterness is not all that pleasant.

I was anxious to try this beer because I heard some great things about it, but I was a little disappointed. Perhaps I got a bad (old) 4-pack, but I just wasn't impressed. I will likely try it again though.

4.66/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shazaaam! One of my favorites. I love living in Charlotte around these great breweries!

3.14/5  rDev -25.8%

I got a lot of bitterness and not in a good way. So much that it tasted like a home-brew with residual hops in the bottom. The malt didn't seem to match up well with the brew either. Not sure if it was just the can I got or how the beer actually tastes. Can't say I recommend this one.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

The nose of this is great, VERY pungent grapefruit. This is a good beer, no mistaking that, but the issue I have is the drinkability, it's just not very high for me with this beer. The word I'm looking for is sharp, it's too sharp on the palatte for me.

The nose, as alluded to earlier, is awesome. It's only .2% stronger than Sculpin, yet just very bitter, and unbalanced in the finish for me. I have a hard time believing this is only 7.2 ABV. Actually, Stone's Enjoy by is more balanced at 9.4%. It really seems they are targeting Topper and Pliny with this. It's so much more DIPA than IPA. Don't let the ABV and advertising fool you.

This is not a sessionable IPA, like Two Hearted or Sculpin. A decent beer, but in very small doses, such as one can. Too bitter for me for any more than 1 can. It's really in your face. There is nothing on the fence with this. Forewarning: This is not a good introductory IPA to get you into the style, if you have never had an IPA before.. Also, If you do not like IPA's, you will really dislike this. Some IPA's can attract other's who favor other styles because of their subtlety, but this is not subtle.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Hop, Drop 'n Roll from NoDa Brewing Company