Hop, Drop 'n Roll - NoDa Brewing Company

Hop, Drop 'n RollHop, Drop 'n Roll

NoDa Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Beer added by: syrupjoe on 12-02-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop, Drop 'n Roll Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,600 | Reviews: 207

So delicious. Best IPA I've had in a while. So refreshing and citrusy.

A: Pours a pale amber color with one+ finger off-white head and thick lacing.

S: Grapefruit dominated citrus flavor accented by pine and tropical fruit notes.

T&M: Overwhelmingly hops at the getgo! Citrusy with notes of orange, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple. Solid malt backbone but the hops are definitely the strongest. Crisp, slightly sweet-but-dry finish with lingering citrus hop aftertaste. Moderate carbonation.

OMG - my new 'favorite' IPA. I've tasted side-by-side with Sculpin and Ruination... BLOWS THEM AWAY

I don't usually go all-fives on a beer, but this one nails it at every level. It deserves it's status in the top 50 IPA's in America and I'm glad I can get this beer anytime I want it here in Charlotte. This should be a whale to those in other parts of the country where this beer isn't distributed.

This beer is awesome on all accounts. The main one is it's always fresh and available. You can just go and buy it without wrestling someone at the brewery or on Ebay.

Appearance: Nice gold, glistening goodness

Smell: Hops, hops, hops....tropical, citrus, mango, etc

Taste: Amazingly quenching to be so dank and flavorful. Tastes like you want them all to!

Mouthfeel: yummy

Overall: The Best IPA in NC...amazing this isn't a double. Go and get you some!

This is a fantastic, yet very intense interpretation of a West Coast IPA. Hop Drop is very comparable to Stone's Enjoy By IPA, so you know it is good. The nose will give any IPA fan a massive erection as soon as that can is popped, blood should rush to the main vain rather quickly.

Hop Drop has an unbelievably juicy grapefruit nose. It tastes just as it smells and alcohol is not present here. It is so juicy.

Though I love this, I'm struggling with their claim that this is only a 7.2 ABV IPA. This is more DIPA than an IPA. I don't know, but one and a half of these knocks me on my ass more than a Stone Enjoy By at 9.4 ABV. It's amazing how I can have 3 or 4 Sculpin's or Two Hearted's at around the same ABV and not feel like I'm going to fall asleep. With that said:

Great IPA

NODA did not invent IPA, they just perfected it.

As good as any American IPA on the market today. Balanced on the pallet, great nose, good color, nice head, and crisp finish.

4.99/5  rDev +15.8%

Incredible and unique. Crazy flavor profile. I almost get cashews or something at the end. Not everyone will love this but man alive I do...

4.99/5  rDev +15.8%

I live in Ohio and we have some great beers here and nearby Michigan.
HD&R! there is nothing that smells like it!
The taste is exactly what I think an IPA is supposed to taste like.
It always delivers.

It is just as good in a can or in the taproom.

4.99/5  rDev +15.8%

Let's just say that when my fridge doesn't have any Hop Drop and Roll in it I get very uncomfortable, from the time that you crack a can until the last sip this beer is fantastic and just spot on. I absolutely love this beverage, well done NoDa Brewing Company.

4.96/5  rDev +15.1%

I love this IPA. It is my favorite style and this one of my absolute favorites of the style. The malt/hop balance is excellent, while still showing a very hop forward "west coast" profile. There are a lot of highly hyped IPA's in the market (most are deserving of their reputation) -- this one compares favorably to all of them and in my opinion exceeds most.

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Had on tap at the tasting room. Pretty much a perfect IPA, huge citrus aroma and taste. Nice white head with the expected mouthfeel for a nice hoppy IPA. Definitely one of the best IPAs I have ever had. I will absolutely be seeking this out in the future.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a pale amber color with one finger off-white head and thick, consistent lacing.

Nose is an explosion of grapefruit dominated citrus flavor accented by a slight pine flavor and subtle tropical fruit notes.

Taste is almost overwhelmingly citrusy with notes of orange, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple. Solid malt backbone but the hops are definitely the strongest players in this beer.

Crisp, sweet-but-dry finish with lingering citrus hop aftertaste. Moderate carbonation.

Overall this is quite possibly the best IPA I've ever had. It is without a doubt the most aromatic and citrusy beer I've ever consumed, while still maintaining a solid malt backbone. Very well balanced beer that showcases the incredibly pungent flavors of Amarillo and Citra hops. Amazing! Can't wait to drink this one again.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Seriously one of my favorite beers, and the fact it's made just down the road from me makes it even better! It's nothing extreme, but amazingly well balanced and as drinkable as an IPA can get! If you even claim to like IPA's, you'll like this beer.

4.91/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First off, as I have been on here for several months, I have noticed that some of the rankings are an absolute joke. For example, to preface, I'm not a Stone hater. Their latest Enjoy By IPA is probably the best beer I have ever had, but when it comes to the Stone IPA, the Go To, and some other offerings, I don't get it. Some of the Stone beers are rated WAY too high. To segue, this beer specifically is absolutely a top 50 beer, and an incredible IPA. It blows Stone's base model IPA completely out of the water, yet look at the rankings. It just doesn't make sense. Also, does Beer Advocate not even recognize the World Beer Cup? I ask because this beer won the Gold Medal there earlier this year... This is a top 50 beer. Anyway, enough of my rant.

Went to Noda Brewery and got 2 four packs (all they would allow me to purchase). Canned on July 28th. Consumed August 1st through the 7th. *Note* this beer is now harder to get then the Alchemist or Pliny. Why? Two reasons: One, there actually is a shortage of citra hops, which the Hop, Drop, uses in 10 separate additions.. Two, this beer won the GOLD medal at the World Beer Cup in Denver, Colorado earlier this year, beating out over 200 American IPA entries, so it is in high demand.

Anyway, this brew is pretty spectacular. It is a classic "alcohol hidden sleeper" that you need to watch while drinking. It's best enjoyed one or two pints max in a sitting, and fridge the rest to be enjoyed another day. You don't want to be having 3 pints of this in a session because that 7.2 ABV is every bit of 7.2%.

Popping the top, the smell is absolutely heavenly. Many pungent citrus notes and very inviting. I could sit there and just smell it for 10 minutes. In the top 2 of the best noses of any beer I have ever had. Grapefruit is so pungent.

*As I alluded to earlier, this is pretty sharp for a single IPA. It leans more towards a DIPA. It is not a session brew- you cannot have more than 2 pints of this and not start to feel a little woozy. Somehow, again this is a single, and very different than the Sculpin IPA (with similar ABV), because I can actually have several of those, and not get knocked on my rear. Drink accordingly.

If you are in Charlotte for any reason and you love IPA's, you should be arrested for not checking this brewery out and getting you some Hop, Drop.

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

As the gold medal shows, this beer is fantastic. Great citrus notes don't overly dry out the beer. It's sure to please any hop-head. I just hope all of the Brewhaha over the gold medal doesn't create any quality/quantity issues. Congrats to all of you guys down at NoDa

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I first visited NoDa about a year ago and tried a Hop Drop. I was blown away. For me, it is just about the perfect American IPA. Great on the nose and has a terrific look to it also. It has strong citrus fruit notes, is sweet and clean but with the right amount of hop bitterness to cut through resulting in a clean dry finish.

We loaded up with cans of Hop Drop and Jam Session on the way home. This is a terrific beer but hard to find outside of the local area. Even the specialty beer stores in relatively nearby Asheville, NC do not have distribution. Also, availability even in Charlotte area is limited. I guess that is what notoriety from the GABF will so for you!

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%

I had it for the first time was at the Charlotte airport on draft. Since then I have had HD&R in can it was just as good. I just love this beer it is exactly what an IPA should be. I just wish I could get it here in Dayton Ohio. When I am traveling I always ask. I highly recommend this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Silky smooth IPA. Alcohol hardly noticeable. Lots of flavors going on. Delicious! Much deserving of its accolades!

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If I could swim in beer it would be time to drown myself in this epic IPA. Like all most all of NODA products.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow so much balance has to be a top 10 ipa

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Currently my favorite IPA by a long shot, and unfortunately as difficult to find, due to its popularity. Repeated trips to the brewery as well as local haunts come up short. News of a shop getting in a supply means lines and rapidly sold out inventories. I love this beer, but I hope the hype around it settles down somewhat soon . . .

On to the beer, it truly is a fabulous, well-balanced IPA. There are imperial/double IPAs that I might prefer in a head-to-head competition, but in terms of a solid, standard IPA, this has few or no peers.

It pours a beautiful bronze/amber color with an almost-white head that has decent staying power. Truth be told, I'm always so eager to get to this beer that I don't usually admire the head for long.

The smell wafting up from this beer is as delectable as the beer itself, and fairly true to the flavor profile. This beer presents with a great aroma, full of the citrus and floral notes that set this beer off, as well as the piney undertones that round the hop bill out so well. I would say that the aroma isn't quite as pronounced as some IPAs, but what is present is quite enticing.

Oh the taste . . . I almost don't want to bother with words, here. If you haven't had this beer, you must. If you have, you know. Hop Drop & Roll excels at capturing, to my tastes, a perfectly harmonized IPA balance between complex, yet unified hop characteristics and a supportive, but not distracting malt bill. If you like your IPAs on the dry side, favoring west coast hops, but also an east coast sensibility, this IPA will knock your socks off. After having over-indulged in Lagunitas for the past several months, this beer is the perfect refresher . . . not an over-sweet bone in its beautiful body. The perfect balance of hops to malt. Refreshing, crisp, complex, yet smooth . . . it's a hop bomb that oozes style and sensibility.

The mouthfeel is pleasing . . . on the heavier side of medium, with enough chew to it to hold up to extended trips on your palate. Smoothly exits the mouth with a coating of hops that begs for yet another sip.

I love IPAs, and the diversity of them that exists . . . Hop Drop & Roll is challenging that second part, though, as I've been feeling very spoiled and very in the mood for it all the time. Perhaps my infatuation will wane over time, but the current difficulty in sourcing this heavenly brew has me pining away for the time being. If you're lucky enough to spot this on tap or resting in its distinctive chartreuse can, grab it, and call me while you're at it!

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

As fine of a beer as I've ever had. No wonder Hop Drop won the World Beer Cup Gold Award this stuff is indeed liquid gold. Huge hop and grapefruit flavor but it could not be smoother going down. Can drink this every day! Cheers and thanks to NoDa Brewery!

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Strong on the citrus. My buddy said "Wow, that's a grapefruit sandwich!" Feels like a DIPA. Great floral aroma. Lots of hops, but well-balanced. Nice cloudy amber color. Good lacy head. Aftertaste is good and hoppy and lingers a good long while. Everything I'm looking for. Very enjoyable. One of the very best IPA's I've had. Would drink this any day.

Well done, NoDa!

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A hazy, glowing light copper color with an orange hue. An aggressive pour produces a good head stand of rock to creamy off-white bubbles. The foam has a lasting head retention and leaves a light lacing on the glass.

A strong hops aroma, smelling of citrus, orange, pineapple and a bit of resinous pine. There is a fairly strong herbal and grass dry hopped aroma in there along with a mostly clean malt sweetness with notes of caramel. There is a slight alcohol sweetness as well.

An aggressive hops bitterness with lots of citrus hops flavor dominate. The hops bring strong flavors of pineapple, orange and a bit of orange peel along with a bit of pine and moderately-strong herbal flavors. There is a moderately-light sweetness that is mostly malt along with some alcohol towards the dry finish. There is a lingering hops bitterness with a citrus aftertaste.

A medium bodied beer with a moderate creaminess and a medium-strong level of carbonation.

A remarkable IPA, the hops really shine in this beer with a depth of American Citrus hop aromas and flavors dominating. The bitterness is solid but balanced making for an awesome beer.

Hop, Drop 'n Roll from NoDa Brewing Company