Hop, Drop ‘n Roll - NoDa Brewing Company

Hop, Drop ‘n RollHop, Drop ‘n Roll

NoDa Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

(Beer added by: syrupjoe on 12-02-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop, Drop ‘n Roll Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

This beer is phenomenal. Amazing, thick aroma with grapefruit, orange, grass, and a biscuity dankness. Taste is ridiculous. Just a juicy, dank, hoppy, resinous IPA with great balance and flavor. The hops are in your face, but the right amount of maltiness softens the blow. Feels a bit sticky, which I love in an IPA. One it warms a bit it really opens up and almost drinks like a DIPA. Props to NoDa for this beer. Its easily one of the best IPAs I've ever had.

Also - Just did a side by side with Heady and this beer easily won. I don't know how fresh the Heady is that I got in a trade, but it couldn't stand up to the HDR. Call me crazy, I'm just calling it like I taste it.

wingnutter, Aug 24, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from the 16 ounce can into a snifter.

Copper in color, but dark enough to be approach amber, the beer is darkened by a bit of haze. A nice, persistent head sits atop the body, creamy, fluffy and frothy with a cream color. Lace forms in abundance around the glass. 4.25

So much fruitiness is on the nose of this beer. It's got the citrus but also strawberry that with the sweetness suggest strawberries and cream. My daughter would probably mistake this for a smoothie. There is a resinous aroma beneath the more prominent sweetness. 4.5

There's just as much fruitiness on the tongue, but also a huge bitterness. This is an aggressive brew. Still, it manages to be quite sweet as well, and I get a bit of caramel. Towards the finish the strawberry rears its head again and I love it. For me, this is entirely unique. I haven't had another IPA with that level of fruitiness. 4.5

I mentioned strawberries and cream on the nose, but this feel like a creamy concoction. It's smooth and medium- to heavy-bodied and very filling. There's big sweetness balanced by huge bitterness, and a dryer finish with a tad of astringency. 4.5

This beer is exceptional. It's a gem in all rights, but the huge berry aromas and nose are just stunning. 4.43

ONovoMexicano, Aug 17, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A hazy, glowing light copper color with an orange hue. An aggressive pour produces a good head stand of rock to creamy off-white bubbles. The foam has a lasting head retention and leaves a light lacing on the glass.

A strong hops aroma, smelling of citrus, orange, pineapple and a bit of resinous pine. There is a fairly strong herbal and grass dry hopped aroma in there along with a mostly clean malt sweetness with notes of caramel. There is a slight alcohol sweetness as well.

An aggressive hops bitterness with lots of citrus hops flavor dominate. The hops bring strong flavors of pineapple, orange and a bit of orange peel along with a bit of pine and moderately-strong herbal flavors. There is a moderately-light sweetness that is mostly malt along with some alcohol towards the dry finish. There is a lingering hops bitterness with a citrus aftertaste.

A medium bodied beer with a moderate creaminess and a medium-strong level of carbonation.

A remarkable IPA, the hops really shine in this beer with a depth of American Citrus hop aromas and flavors dominating. The bitterness is solid but balanced making for an awesome beer.

MadScientist, Jul 01, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Good to see I can get bottles of this beer now in GSO.Poured into an imperial nonic a deep burnt orange with a great looking lacey white head,it looks creamy and left a nice sheet of lace as it settled into a frothy mass.Tropical fruits abound in the nose along with some sugary sweetness and more mild herbal hop notes,great hop complexity.Tropical fruits on the palate as well along with big herbal/grassy flavors,there is a sugary base along with some biscuit but it doesn't interfere with the big hops.For me this is easiest the best beer I have had from NoDa,the hop profile is just great,probably one of the two or three best "big" IPA's brewed around here.

oberon, Aug 18, 2013

chubby2u, Yesterday at 07:14 PM
4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

hopazoid, Yesterday at 10:39 AM
4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Obtained in trade from BA Mike from Colorado. Can dated 9/9/14 poured into a Harpoon snifter.

A: Cloudy, medium carbonation, pretty lacing as it moves down the glass. Copper color. The cloudiness brings score down for me.
A: Tropical fruit, dank, juicy.
T: Malty up front with that fruit juiciness that finishes with bitter grapefruit pith. Aggressively bitter cold but mellows a tad as it warms.
F: Super dry, almost moisture sucking. Sticks to the tongue. I like dry beers but this one might be a little too dry for the style.
O: Enjoyable but I wouldn't rate it as high as others have. The aroma and flavor are very good but the look and finish bring it down a notch for me.

Dad_of_Rad, Yesterday at 01:09 AM
4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Okay, I stirred up a mess in the message boards. I drank one batch too cold. I purchased another batch drank it warmer. That is what needs to be done for me anyway. This IS a good beer but I still don't think its the best beer I have ever had. I love the fact its from NC and its readily available now anyway. I still maintain that the first batch I tried was a bit off. The newer batch dated from October is a lot better.

Color: Darker than most IPA's that I have had. Its a very pretty amber color.

Smell: Hops, but you know, I can definitely see where people get the description as "buttery". It has a very strong buttery popcorn aroma to me.

Taste: Drink this at about 60 degrees, if you drink it straight out of the fridge or really fresh its a beer that will wreck your palate. Bitterness dominates, but as it warms you get the malty smoothness comes on. It has a really strong hops character but I will still maintain that this beer does not balance as well as others, but maybe that is why its a gold metal winner, it definitely stands out in the crowd, but I am not certain that is always a good thing. Its a solid beer but not as good others to me. I guess I am a pedestrian when it comes to drinking outside the norm IPA's.

Overall: I love that my state has got some of the much needed hype in regard to beers, we are as good as California, Colorado or Vermont! This to me just isn't as good as other beers made in my state. Its good, but not as good, to me as others think it is. Final verdict.

humuloner22, Thursday at 11:47 PM

GDawgs34, Thursday at 05:47 AM
4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

mbmiche, Wednesday at 07:23 PM
4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Bright and citrusy hops up front with a big malt backbone

very nice