Hop, Drop 'n Roll - NoDa Brewing Company

North Carolina, United States

Beer added by: syrupjoe on 12-02-2011

Reviews: 190 | Hads: 1,730
1.63/5  rDev -61.5%

This beer use to be worthy of the gold medal it won but not so much anymore. It's like chewing on a flower and not the tasty kind. They ruined this beer.

2.76/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Looks a light Amber, clear and semi approachable but, meh.
Smells like piney dirt after a rain storm in the campground forest....
Tastes dirty and old (even though this can is only 2 weeks old) - not my favorite- huge malty characteristics and not good.
Mouthfeel is smooth and half way balanced but can't get over the malt overload.
Can't dig this beer to much, I've given it 4 different opportunities now to change my mind but this is my last go, just too malty

3.05/5  rDev -27.9%

Way too piney for my taste, and I'm not a fan of IPAs with a strong malt backbone like this one. If you are a fan of Sculpin, Tropicalia, Jai Alai, etc - this will not be to your liking. Other than having a citrusy smell this drinks like an East Coast IPA. Really disappointed.

3.14/5  rDev -25.8%

I got a lot of bitterness and not in a good way. So much that it tasted like a home-brew with residual hops in the bottom. The malt didn't seem to match up well with the brew either. Not sure if it was just the can I got or how the beer actually tastes. Can't say I recommend this one.

3.15/5  rDev -25.5%

Thanks to LGB362 for a couple of these cans: one went down during our last poker session, this one is for the review. 16 oz. lime green can.

Pour is a pleasant young orange IPA. Carbonated. Nose is mild orange, candied sugar. Smells more like pop - or soda, as you have it - than beer.

Hop, Drop 'n Roll gives off the same impression the second time around: too sweet. That candied orange sugar with corn syrup just won't stop: it runs the taste buds down & stickies them up. After the invert sugar blitz comes a modicum of conifer bitterness that tastes & feels secondary & doesn't meld real well; the hops give the dominant orange a bit of a medicinal taste, maybe a touch dank. Half the can is fine: my wife is enjoying the other half more than I am.

This one just doesn't finger my joy buzzer. Too much sweetness for an IPA, too gentle & loving. Decent enough.

3.16/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Oh my. Where to start. Looks like septic system runoff. That aftertaste. Behck. So yeasty, chalky, worty, gross. Does not live upto its hype. Drinkable but wouldnt buy any.

Note: actually shitcanned remaining half of my pint.

3.2/5  rDev -24.3%

Fresh can, less than a week old.

A - pours an amber color with minimal head.

S - some hop notes there, getting some malt as well.

T - Very similar to the smell. malty'ish flavor with a hop bite finish.

M - med carb. med feel.

O - disappointed. the hype behind this really had my hopes up but this just didnt do it for me.

3.57/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

American IPA brewed with Citra, Amarillo, Centennial, Warrior, and Chinook hops. Poured from a 16oz can into a Goose Island tulip. The pour is slightly hazy, apricot in color, and sports a creamy eggshell white head that retains quite well. Lots of bitter, oily, sappy hop aromas on the nose. Pinetrees, flowers, grass, and grapefruit.

Medium body and hop-forward flavor. Marmalade, honey, bread, and citrus fruit. Kind of a syrupy, resiny bitterness instead of the bright, fruity bitterness that I prefer. The balance is not bad, but the hop bill just isn't working for me. I'm no brewer, but is it a good idea to use five different hop varieties in one beer? The beer can't decide if it wants to taste like pinetrees, rosehips, or a big juicy orange. Everything is muddled and the resulting bitterness is not all that pleasant.

I was anxious to try this beer because I heard some great things about it, but I was a little disappointed. Perhaps I got a bad (old) 4-pack, but I just wasn't impressed. I will likely try it again though.

3.68/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

canned less than 3 weeks ago.

a: Hazy coppery golden color; poured with large, semi sticky white head.

s: Sugar cookies and toffee with hop aromas of mint and citrus peel.

t: Bit of a let down given the hop bill. Sharp, almost charred toffee and some sugar cookie sweetness are what I noticed most. Some hop resin and citrus peel towards the finish. There was a very appealing lingering bitterness.

m: Heavy for an IPA.

o: Fresh can, good reviews, I hoped for more.

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one at the source! Served from tap into a NoDa sampler shaker. Poured a bright yellow-orange with a minimal white head. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, earth hop, pine, and pine hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, pine, pine hop, spice, spicy hop, and earth. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. I really enjoyed the flavor profile that was going on here as it was very appealing to the palate and crisp. This fact also made me order another pint after I was done with my sampler. The rest of the beer was pretty decent for the style, but just didn’t stand out from some others I have had in my ticking career. While this is not a bad thing, I just wish it would have swept me off my feet in some way. Definitely worth your time to try this one.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from the can, Brewery fresh!
Disclaimer, I am not a hophead, and certainly not a west coast hophead by any extent of the imagination.
Nice color, copper and gold, gold edges. Good head and head retention. Aroma of bittering stuck me as being slihghlty pungent, resinous, maybe ever so slightly piney. That led into the wonderful floral citrusy arma of he Citra and Amarillo hops. Thankfully hopping was very balanced.
mouthfeel was medium light. bitterness was sharp and pervasive but well balanced with a slight caramel sweetness left in the finish. I have to go at this one a few more times to see if it changes for me, as some do. This is a well made beer, but probably not my thing.

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: It pours a ruby orange with an off white head and visible carbonation.
S: There's orange citrus with a boozy hint at the end
T: it's crazy complex, orange, floral herbal hop, and a bitters itchy finish.
M: crisp, medium bodied
O: tasty and interesting. Even though it's not what I normally look for in an IPA, I still like it a lot.

3.79/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Canned three days before popping the top.

Appearance: Nice Golden color. Cloudy
Smell: Hops. Pine and Grapefruit
Taste: Like the smell. Very hop forward with a bready malt presence coming in on the back. Not well balanced, with the hops being overbearing. Mouthfeel is full and drinks like a much bigger beer than it is.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a burnt orange with a 1 finger white head that lingers for a while. Light carbonation runs up the glass and the body is fairly clean and clear. The smell is pine up front. Fairly muted. A little bready malt in there with a touch of sweetness coming though as well. First sip is bitter pine with some orange mixed in there. The finish is tongue-punchingly bitter. Medium body and coats the tongue completely. Bitterness lingers for a while.

This is a good beer for those who like bitter, pine bombs. It's well made and very drinkable but not my favorite.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Tasty IPA, if a bit malty, and with a sort of generic hop flavor. Just not a lot of pop to the hops, neither on the palate nor in the nose. I could see this being a bit of a workhorse IPA, something to count on, but it didn't wow me either.

3.85/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- Translucent light golden honey, medium lacing with terrific legs!

S- Nice organic pine smell to this; pretty one-dimentional in this, but done well

T- Kinda everyday west coast IPA

M- nothing special here, not creamy or anything crazy; kinda thin and medium-medium/a lot of carb

O- Good rep of West Coast IPA (not sure if this is the intention; or if I have totally misrep this beer

3.89/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got this one via trade with @CHSASVbeer. Poured from a pounder can into a standard pint glass.

Look: Appearance was a medium orange color with a two finger white fluffy head. Minimal glass lacing.

Smell: Sweet malts, citrus, tropical fruit and some pine. Very hoppy nose.

Taste: Citrus and tropical fruits first with grapefruit, huge pineapple, mango, fruit cocktail flavors. I then get this huge sweetness that is candy like. It tastes almost like a fruity candy, kind of like the red candy apple coating. The sweetness really carries all the way through the finish which adds some pine and bitterness.

Feel: Full prickly mouthfeel with some bitterness and slight alcohol. Nice carbonation.

Overall: This is a solid IPA, but not one that I would say can stand up with the best. Still, I would drink this anytime. Good solid beer.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance: pours a deep burnt orange, almost a red. a finger of a white head with an extremely strong retention and leaves a pretty strong lacing behind. hazy and nearly opaque but a little bit of brightness to it. 4.25/5

Smell: as soon as you crack the can, strong juicy hops, strong juicy citrus along with blackberries. tropical fruit and pine. malty sweetness just barely works it way through all the hops. 4.25/5

Taste: opens with hops, varieties include citrus, berries, tropical fruit, pine and maybe some floral. malts are sweet and a mix of caramel and toasted bread. comes off a bit on the grassy side. 3.75/5

Mouthfeel: good medium full feel. a touch try and some lingering bitterness. 3.75/5

Overall: I had this at the brewery about a year ago and was very surprised to see how much it blew up. Its a very good ipa, but with the market of ipas, I see it falling just short of the uppermost tier.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a fairly clear deep copper with a frothy cream head that slowly dissipates leaving moderate lacing.

Resin, sweet caramel malt, sharp citrus, cannabis, and pine form the aroma. Onion lingers in the background. Pretty dank.

Flavor reveals a slightly sweet body of caramel malt, underneath of which lies resiny, grassy hops, which finish fairly bitter and piney. There's a bit of grapefruit throughout, along with peach.

Body is moderate, with carbonation a touch high, accentuating the bitterness.

Good malt and hop flavoring, fairly complex, but the bitterness is a little too harsh and overwhelming for my tastes.

3.91/5  rDev -7.6%

A: poured into a snifter, this beer pours a clear golden caramel color. The brew leaves a little lacing, not as impressive as the high end west coast IPAs that I've had.

S: For an IPA with citra, the nose is lacking in the hoppy aroma. Raw hop notes, pine, some pineapple. A little hint of toastiness in the background.

T: this beer is not lacking in flavor. Sweet maulty background, excellent bitterness from the hops.

Mf: this is not a pallet wrecker, the hop profile is strong up front, but doesnt stick around long enough to kill your pallet. Carbonation is excellent, chewwy, and full for an iPA

Overall an ipa worth having.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

Canned 1/7, enjoyed 1/23. Updated bits and pieces from a canned on 5/25, enjoyed 6/12.

Appearance: Muddy, burnt honey body, with an OK head and lacing.

Aroma: Medium intensity citrus and pine. Hints of caramel.

Flavor: Medium+ intensity apparent hop bitterness. Medium intensity hop flavors of pine and grass. Malt backbone is present in toasty-caramelly qualities. I'm getting a hint of spice and dryness I'm used to getting in rye IPAs. I wouldn't be surprised to learn there was a hint of rye there.

Mouthfeel: Lingering hop bitterness, and again an almost rye-esque drying quality.

Overall: A good IPA, totally overrated and hyped IMO.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks Kegatron for sharing this pounder can with me. Pours a pale copper color with slight haze. Decent off-white cap with typical retaining powers.

The smell is primarily compromised of citrus hoppiness with a bit of rindy quality. Little to no malt and alcohol inclusion. Overall nice.

The taste is piney hops with bitter pith and rindy fruit elements. A slight indication of grass and like the nose, little to no alcohol and maltiness.

This is a light bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. This brew has a good balance of character and is easy drinking. I would have this again.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks to jmgrub for sharing this one at Retsinis' tasting.

Pours a murky honey orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and slight herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest and grapefruit juice flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with a nice citrus forward hop presence all around.

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pint can poured into a nonic pint glass. 10/27/2014 is the date on the bottom (I think).

Pours slightly cloudy with a medium head. Medium active carbonation. Brownish amber in color. Smell is nice. lots of hops. Very green and flowery. Some pine.

Taste is cloyingly bitter, some honeysuckle and orange sweetness (but not much). Nice strong bitter finish. Definite grapefruit rind bitterness.

Mouthfeel is dry and resinous. Overall, it's a quite good beer.

The nose of this is great, VERY pungent grapefruit. This is a good beer, no mistaking that, but the issue I have is the drinkability, it's just not very high for me with this beer. The word I'm looking for is sharp, it's too sharp on the palatte for me.

The nose, as alluded to earlier, is awesome. It's only .2% stronger than Sculpin, yet just very bitter, and unbalanced in the finish for me. I have a hard time believing this is only 7.2 ABV. Actually, Stone's Enjoy by is more balanced at 9.4%. It really seems they are targeting Topper and Pliny with this. It's so much more DIPA than IPA. Don't let the ABV and advertising fool you.

This is not a sessionable IPA, like Two Hearted or Sculpin. A decent beer, but in very small doses, such as one can. Too bitter for me for any more than 1 can. It's really in your face. There is nothing on the fence with this. Forewarning: This is not a good introductory IPA to get you into the style, if you have never had an IPA before.. Also, If you do not like IPA's, you will really dislike this. Some IPA's can attract other's who favor other styles because of their subtlety, but this is not subtle.

Hop, Drop 'n Roll from NoDa Brewing Company