Hop, Drop 'n Roll - NoDa Brewing Company

Beer added by: syrupjoe on 12-02-2011

Reviews: 180 | Hads: 1,654
4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep orange color with small white head that fades fast but leaves great lacing. Big tropical and citrus fruit and resinous hop aroma. Touch of caramel sweetness from the malt up front fades to citrus notes of mostly grapefruit, touch of mango and a bitter resinous finish. Creamy feel with lower carbonation and a medium body. Strong IPA with big citrus flavor. Glad I had the chance to try this. (403 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -6%

From 10/28/14 notes. 16 oz. can poured into a tulip.

Pours a murky brownish yellow color with one finger of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Pine hops, fruity malts, citrus hops, resin, and grapefruit. Taste has a little bit of a bitter bite. Medium body and low carbonation with a light bitter bite.

Overall a good beer, but a little maltier than I was expecting...not a hop bomb. Lots of pine to it and some light bitterness, worth checking out. (472 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Obtained in trade from BA Mike from Colorado. Can dated 9/9/14 poured into a Harpoon snifter.

A: Cloudy, medium carbonation, pretty lacing as it moves down the glass. Copper color. The cloudiness brings score down for me.
A: Tropical fruit, dank, juicy.
T: Malty up front with that fruit juiciness that finishes with bitter grapefruit pith. Aggressively bitter cold but mellows a tad as it warms.
F: Super dry, almost moisture sucking. Sticks to the tongue. I like dry beers but this one might be a little too dry for the style.
O: Enjoyable but I wouldn't rate it as high as others have. The aroma and flavor are very good but the look and finish bring it down a notch for me. (686 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Okay, I stirred up a mess in the message boards. I drank one batch too cold. I purchased another batch drank it warmer. That is what needs to be done for me anyway. This IS a good beer but I still don't think its the best beer I have ever had. I love the fact its from NC and its readily available now anyway. I still maintain that the first batch I tried was a bit off. The newer batch dated from October is a lot better.

Color: Darker than most IPA's that I have had. Its a very pretty amber color.

Smell: Hops, but you know, I can definitely see where people get the description as "buttery". It has a very strong buttery popcorn aroma to me.

Taste: Drink this at about 60 degrees, if you drink it straight out of the fridge or really fresh its a beer that will wreck your palate. Bitterness dominates, but as it warms you get the malty smoothness comes on. It has a really strong hops character but I will still maintain that this beer does not balance as well as others, but maybe that is why its a gold metal winner, it definitely stands out in the crowd, but I am not certain that is always a good thing. Its a solid beer but not as good others to me. I guess I am a pedestrian when it comes to drinking outside the norm IPA's.

Overall: I love that my state has got some of the much needed hype in regard to beers, we are as good as California, Colorado or Vermont! This to me just isn't as good as other beers made in my state. Its good, but not as good, to me as others think it is. Final verdict. (1,514 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16oz. can, poured a bit into a glass for appearance by drank the rest from the can, Heady Topper style.

A- a clear copper the leans more on the orange side. Off white head, with pretty fantastic lacing.

S- orange zest and orange juice, with some grapefruit, pine, and a hint of a grassy note. Some lightly caramel malts are detectable.

T- BIG whack of bitterness. Lots of orange zest. Some crackery and very light caramel notes are there. Grassy and a hint of pint on the finish. Bitterness never really lets up, and is likely my only fault with the beer, could use just a *touch* less bitterness. A hint of a strawberry is on the backend as well, very unique.

M- Dry. Quite Dry. Maybe a touch too dry. Medium with amble carbonation.

O- Easy to see why it earned that gold medal. Very well done. (815 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Canned three days before popping the top.

Appearance: Nice Golden color. Cloudy
Smell: Hops. Pine and Grapefruit
Taste: Like the smell. Very hop forward with a bready malt presence coming in on the back. Not well balanced, with the hops being overbearing. Mouthfeel is full and drinks like a much bigger beer than it is. (324 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

We got a pretty good one here, my peeps.

Smells like that girl you love to remember, but should forget - because like this tall can, it will disappear eventually.

Taste is wonderful and pops with exotic juices like Tupac's morning smoothie, while along with that is a mellow malt that pretty much chills hard like your girlfriends's little sister sitting on the coach who was just stood up for prom.

Now, this isn't the best of the best. There is a lil syrup (just a bit) in the end. And overall, the IPA flavor profile isn't top of the heap. Still, we still have a pretty doggone good one right here, my peeps. (614 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16oz can. Dated 9/9/2014, poured into a teku glass 10/10/2014.

A- Hazy, darker caramel brown body. Two finger offwhite head that is quite thick and recedes into a thick, substantial collar that sticks around for a while. Rings of lacing complete the picture. [4]

S- Grapefruit, passion fruit, orange, caramel, hop resin. Very fruity in the aroma, brings out a bit more of the malt sweetness manifesting as toffee, adding to its overall complexity as it warms. [4.25]

F- Toffee, citrus, grapefruit, a bit of pine. Very, very aggressively hopped and quite bitter, complex and not one-note in any way. Nice caramel, toffee malt backbone balances things out, even gives a slight hint of a barleywine caramel-forward sweetness. Pine and grapefruit skin on the finish. [4.5]

M- Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, palate-wrecking pine and citrus skin bitterness throughout. Resinous at first, gets drier as it warms up, very smooth and substantial. Very enjoyable to drink. [4.25]

O- Definitely helluva hopped up- bursting with fruity hop flavours with a nice strong malt backbone that's enough to add plenty of sweetness to balance out the bitterness. This is a very good hoppy, bitter, resinous beer that is also easy to drink. [4.25]

Final score: 4.35 (1,252 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

16oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy deep, dark gold with a one finger thick white head. Really good staying power for the head with decent lacing as well.

Aroma just explodes with tropical fruit in a huge way. You can tell right away this is one serious IPA and it is everything you would expect in the style.

The flavor doesn't disappoint either. Loads of tropical fruit that was present in the aroma along with a decent touch of pine as well. High bitterness that lingers for a long time after the rest of the flavors fade. Just a little sweetness.

Overall, a truly outstanding IPA and one of the better ones out there. Can be hard to find but it is available in the Asheville area so you can find it beyond Charlotte. I'll need to stock up next time I make a trip over the mountains. (795 characters)

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to dogdoc for sending this one! Reviewed from notes. Poured from 16 oz. can into an Upland pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy copper, with a one-finger white head and good visible carbonation.

S: Citrus, primarily grapefruit, lightly toasted bready malts with just a touch of toffee sweetness. Some resinous hops, and a bit of tropical fruits and grassiness.

T: Bright grapefruit, citrus rind, resinous sap, bready malts, and a touch of toffee adds sweetness to the flavors. Finishes with a lingering grapefruit rind flavor and bitterness.

M: Medium body, good carbonation sensation. The alcohol presence is mild but noticeable.

O: Pretty darn good beer. Seems to set up similar to the more familiar (to me) Jai Alai, although this particular can didn't have quite the citrus punch that the best cans of Jai Alai do. But a very good beer, and one that I would look forward to having again. (894 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can into glass. Canned 2/14, drank 2/16. 4-pack purchased for $11.99.

L- Pours a somewhat cloudy golden orange with a moderately thick white head. Retention and lacing are solid.

S- Hugely dank aroma of pine and orange rind. Somewhat earthy.

T- Immediately punches you in the face with hops. Juicy orange/grapefruit followed by a lingering pine taste. A little biscuity malt tries to sneak through but is crushed by those hops. Extremely bitter, but not unpleasantly so. Each sip leaves me wanting another.

MF- Moderate carbonation and slick mouthfeel. It coats the tongue in a good way.

O- Overall, this is an absolutely delicious IPA. It has a dank, bitter flavor that is extemely pleasant, and it's unlike any IPA I've ever had. One of my favorites. (767 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Got this as an extra, sure glad I did!

Pours out orange just like a lot of others , normal beige frothy head.

Get a nice multiple-hop aroma, which sets you up to know this has some nice flavor,
And you get a piney, bitter, juicy, delicious burst of goodness.

Very good beer, get yourself some! (298 characters)

This is a fantastic, yet very intense interpretation of a West Coast IPA. Hop Drop is very comparable to Stone's Enjoy By IPA, so you know it is good. The nose will give any IPA fan a massive erection as soon as that can is popped, blood should rush to the main vain rather quickly.

Hop Drop has an unbelievably juicy grapefruit nose. It tastes just as it smells and alcohol is not present here. It is so juicy.

Though I love this, I'm struggling with their claim that this is only a 7.2 ABV IPA. This is more DIPA than an IPA. I don't know, but one and a half of these knocks me on my ass more than a Stone Enjoy By at 9.4 ABV. It's amazing how I can have 3 or 4 Sculpin's or Two Hearted's at around the same ABV and not feel like I'm going to fall asleep. With that said:

Great IPA (789 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I first visited NoDa about a year ago and tried a Hop Drop. I was blown away. For me, it is just about the perfect American IPA. Great on the nose and has a terrific look to it also. It has strong citrus fruit notes, is sweet and clean but with the right amount of hop bitterness to cut through resulting in a clean dry finish.

We loaded up with cans of Hop Drop and Jam Session on the way home. This is a terrific beer but hard to find outside of the local area. Even the specialty beer stores in relatively nearby Asheville, NC do not have distribution. Also, availability even in Charlotte area is limited. I guess that is what notoriety from the GABF will so for you! (672 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to Bilco for a surprise can of this gem

Consumed 9/11/14

A: Medium orange with a lot of honey and some tangerine around the edges, copper at its core - lightly hazy (reasonable considering the stupid amount of hops in this) - pours with a medium, white head, fades to some wisps, leaves some nice splotches of lacing

S: Gloriously hoppy - straight-up hop cones and hop pellets - deeply resinous and oily - fresh pine, a ton of citrus, and other fruit - juicy, ripe grapefruit flesh, pineapple, mango, and some other tropical aromas - very floral, herbal, with some dank qualities - not just a hop bomb, either, with some solid malts - pale and caramel, with some breadiness, light biscuit

T: Ripe grapefruit flesh, orange, and straight-up hoppy goodness - fruity and juicy, with some huge citrus and tropical notes - grapefruit, mango, pineapple - above average bitterness with some lingering pith - pine with some big herbal and floral hop flavors - pale and caramel malts - lightly toasted bread with perhaps a touch too much sweetness

M: Medium body, smooth, nice carbonation, very drinkable even with some lingering hop oils

O: This does make me want to roll on the floor

This is one of the best IPAs I've had in a while. I am truly impressed with the insane amount of hops crammed into a drinkable beer. (1,326 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance: pours a deep burnt orange, almost a red. a finger of a white head with an extremely strong retention and leaves a pretty strong lacing behind. hazy and nearly opaque but a little bit of brightness to it. 4.25/5

Smell: as soon as you crack the can, strong juicy hops, strong juicy citrus along with blackberries. tropical fruit and pine. malty sweetness just barely works it way through all the hops. 4.25/5

Taste: opens with hops, varieties include citrus, berries, tropical fruit, pine and maybe some floral. malts are sweet and a mix of caramel and toasted bread. comes off a bit on the grassy side. 3.75/5

Mouthfeel: good medium full feel. a touch try and some lingering bitterness. 3.75/5

Overall: I had this at the brewery about a year ago and was very surprised to see how much it blew up. Its a very good ipa, but with the market of ipas, I see it falling just short of the uppermost tier. (913 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Really nice IPA. Orange gold hue, rich creamy mouthfeel, honey and sweet malt background. Living in California, this one reminds me of some of the sweet-style NorCal IPAs we have around here, like Drake's Denogginizer and the great Knee Deep beers. This one fits right in with them. Delicious. Highly recommended. (313 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks, Bill.

Poured into my Great Lakes 25th Anniversary bruges hybrid tulip...

A. Pours a clear, deep honey gold with traces of copper in the light. Soapy, lush two finger off-white head with sticky gobs of lacing all over my glass. Outstanding appearance.

S. Initially tropical and then a big wave of dank weed smacks me right in the face. It's all grass from then on out, with a little bit of pine resin and a healthy malt backbone to boot. Very good.

T. Follows the nose with sticky pineapple, grapefruit zest, pine resin, dank hops, and floral notes. It's very in your face hoppy with heavy herb and even some green onion.

M. Again, very hop forward with a lively and slightly spicy feel. A big, bold beast of an IPA, yet very balanced with some fine biscuit malt.

O. A fine IPA with a more traditional profile of herbal, dank, floral hops. It's brash in a good way, with just enough citric touch and malt backbone to keep things grounded within reason. And that is probably the most significant accomplishment here...phenomenally pungent hop aroma and flavor of the traditional, weedy kind that is checked remarkably and leaves you with a relatively balanced, caramel smooth mouthfeel. I give this high marks. (1,238 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Fresh can shared by RussianDragon. Thanks Dave! The beer is nearly clear with a copper / orange body and an inch or more of white head. Huge aroma of fresh hops, pine, grass. Gigantic waves of resinous hops blast the palate. Pine and grass. Hurts so good. An unexpected surprise. Terrific beer. (294 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

This beer is phenomenal. Amazing, thick aroma with grapefruit, orange, grass, and a biscuity dankness. Taste is ridiculous. Just a juicy, dank, hoppy, resinous IPA with great balance and flavor. The hops are in your face, but the right amount of maltiness softens the blow. Feels a bit sticky, which I love in an IPA. One it warms a bit it really opens up and almost drinks like a DIPA. Props to NoDa for this beer. Its easily one of the best IPAs I've ever had.

Also - Just did a side by side with Heady and this beer easily won. I don't know how fresh the Heady is that I got in a trade, but it couldn't stand up to the HDR. Call me crazy, I'm just calling it like I taste it. (679 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A-Clear amber, not much carbonation, one finger head that tries to leave some lacing.

S-Good bit of hops, earthy grass notes and slight citrus.

T-Starts with nice citrus and orange. Good bit of hops, earthy and grassy.

M-Medium bodied with a harsh hop bite.

O-Thankful to have tried it but it didn't live up to the hype for me. (332 characters)

1808th review on BA
Can to Speiglau Tulip
16oz

Thanks to Jlindros & Rudzud for this one.

App- On the darker orange end of the spectrum with some ruddy brown on the outside. A bit more of a bright center with some golden yellows and oranges intermixed. A big 2 finger head was there and stuck around for a bit. Great cling down the sides of the glass. Nice webbing as it slid down the glass.

Smell- This was more of a pungent hop aroma with more bitter and malt behind it vs. citrus IMO. I liked the big pine aroma with a bit of a backing citrus vs. the star of the show. The pine intermixed nicely with a bit of caramel malt as well.

Taste- Was not what I was expecting. I was thinking again for the east coast they wanted to make a West coast IPA and that was not it. The malts continued to come out and had more of a pine flavor with just a small floral citrus flavor to it.

Mouth- A very solid medium body with a medium thick carbonation. A bigger bodied beer and I could appreciate that for a change. It was nice to have some sustanance behind it and left some residual pine and citrus.

Drink- It was an above average beer for me, I liked and enjoyed it, but dont think I would crush a few in a sitting with the body and carbonation. A one and done drinker for me. Thanks for the tick to my RS guys. (1,309 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours out a nice bright orange color. Pretty true to the style. Big white head. Smells good. Pine, some juicy notes and hops. Taste follows through. Nice clean mouthfeel. Probably the best IPA NC has to offer. (209 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from the 16 ounce can into a snifter.

Copper in color, but dark enough to be approach amber, the beer is darkened by a bit of haze. A nice, persistent head sits atop the body, creamy, fluffy and frothy with a cream color. Lace forms in abundance around the glass. 4.25

So much fruitiness is on the nose of this beer. It's got the citrus but also strawberry that with the sweetness suggest strawberries and cream. My daughter would probably mistake this for a smoothie. There is a resinous aroma beneath the more prominent sweetness. 4.5

There's just as much fruitiness on the tongue, but also a huge bitterness. This is an aggressive brew. Still, it manages to be quite sweet as well, and I get a bit of caramel. Towards the finish the strawberry rears its head again and I love it. For me, this is entirely unique. I haven't had another IPA with that level of fruitiness. 4.5

I mentioned strawberries and cream on the nose, but this feel like a creamy concoction. It's smooth and medium- to heavy-bodied and very filling. There's big sweetness balanced by huge bitterness, and a dryer finish with a tad of astringency. 4.5

This beer is exceptional. It's a gem in all rights, but the huge berry aromas and nose are just stunning. 4.43 (1,247 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on 2014-08-17 at the brewery; and again at the brewery on 2015-07-26.

A - Pretty clear orange-gold with a 1-finger white head and good lace.

S - Overly ripe pineapple, dank, crushed hop buds, pine. Great aroma.

T - Hop forward but not a bomb. Pineapple flesh, biscuit, caramel, touch of onion/garlic and lots of pine. Finish is balanced but leaning towards the hops of course.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Smooth. Great feel.

O - This is a top notch. No surprise it won gold. (498 characters)

Hop, Drop 'n Roll from NoDa Brewing Company