Hop, Drop 'n Roll - NoDa Brewing Company

Hop, Drop 'n RollHop, Drop 'n Roll

NoDa Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

(Beer added by: syrupjoe on 12-02-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop, Drop 'n Roll Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Color: tawny gold
Decent carbonation and a head that lasts a few minutes. Nice lacing.
Smell: crisp, honey-sweet, mild hoppy tang
Taste: starts sweet, then the bitter hoppy flavor rolls in to balance the sweet
Mouthfeel: nicely coats the tongue. Slight back-of-the throat hoppy itch-burn.
Very drinkable.

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: It pours a ruby orange with an off white head and visible carbonation.
S: There's orange citrus with a boozy hint at the end
T: it's crazy complex, orange, floral herbal hop, and a bitters itchy finish.
M: crisp, medium bodied
O: tasty and interesting. Even though it's not what I normally look for in an IPA, I still like it a lot.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Friends down in North CANolina sent me this CAN to further The CANQuest (TM) and I am deeply thankful!

From the CAN: "Proudly Brewed & C[AN]ned by NoDa Brewing Company, Charlotte, NC."; "Recycle, Reduce, Reuse."; "Our West Coast style IPA hits you with a ton of juicy hop flavor that shines out from a substantial and complex malt backbone. We use Citra, Amarillo, Centennial, Warrior and Chinook in 10 separate additions to provide the intense hop blast found within this [CAN]!"

The Crack! was a welcome sound, but given that this was a tallboy CAN, I went with a gentle Glug since I was curious to try all of those hops and I did not want to take a chance on an overflow. I still managed to get a finger of foamy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy golden-yellow (SRM = > 7, < 9), but although I did not mind it as filtration strips flavor, the Golden Boys eschewed it, leaving me to my own devices. Clarity is overrated! Nose was magnificent, but I leaned in and really got a snootful of hops. If they could make this scent into air freshener, I would be a happy man! Earthy, pine, grass, grapefruit, peach and just a hint of caramel malt were what I could parse from this melange. My mouth was watering like one of Pavlov's dogs at the ringing of a bell and I could not wait any longer. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops hit like a charging rhino, assaulting my tongue like the first wave of soldiers hitting the beach at Normandy. If Ethelred was the Unready, then my tongue was a close second! I know that some would say that this is unbalanced and I am not going to argue that point, but the hops flavors were riotous. It almost seems cliche, but this was everything that each hops variety could impart, rolled into one big hops blast. Pine and grapefruit were the prevalent flavors, but there was an earthy note that ran through it all. The finish was gaspingly dry and now I could taste the cooling peach and caramel flavors noted on the nose. This was a beer that was truly th sum of its parts and then some. Nice lacing formed in my glass as I CANtemplated just how many of these I would want or would drink at 7.2% ABV. Hmmm.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to jmgrub for sharing this one at Retsinis' tasting.

Pours a murky honey orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and slight herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest and grapefruit juice flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with a nice citrus forward hop presence all around.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 FL. OZ. can
Served in a teku glass

A - It is amber and cloudy. The two inches of beige head leave rings around the glass with each drink.

S - I smell citrus and resin.

T - There is plenty of flavor. It is citrus up front with a pine finish. It is in the west coast vein.

M - Medium

O - This beer is loaded with flavor. It will not leave your palate bored.

Hop, Drop 'n Roll from NoDa Brewing Company