Hop, Drop 'n Roll - NoDa Brewing Company

Hop, Drop 'n RollHop, Drop 'n Roll

NoDa Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

(Beer added by: syrupjoe on 12-02-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop, Drop 'n Roll Alström Bros

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Friends down in North CANolina sent me this CAN to further The CANQuest (TM) and I am deeply thankful!

From the CAN: "Proudly Brewed & C[AN]ned by NoDa Brewing Company, Charlotte, NC."; "Recycle, Reduce, Reuse."; "Our West Coast style IPA hits you with a ton of juicy hop flavor that shines out from a substantial and complex malt backbone. We use Citra, Amarillo, Centennial, Warrior and Chinook in 10 separate additions to provide the intense hop blast found within this [CAN]!"

The Crack! was a welcome sound, but given that this was a tallboy CAN, I went with a gentle Glug since I was curious to try all of those hops and I did not want to take a chance on an overflow. I still managed to get a finger of foamy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy golden-yellow (SRM = > 7, < 9), but although I did not mind it as filtration strips flavor, the Golden Boys eschewed it, leaving me to my own devices. Clarity is overrated! Nose was magnificent, but I leaned in and really got a snootful of hops. If they could make this scent into air freshener, I would be a happy man! Earthy, pine, grass, grapefruit, peach and just a hint of caramel malt were what I could parse from this melange. My mouth was watering like one of Pavlov's dogs at the ringing of a bell and I could not wait any longer. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops hit like a charging rhino, assaulting my tongue like the first wave of soldiers hitting the beach at Normandy. If Ethelred was the Unready, then my tongue was a close second! I know that some would say that this is unbalanced and I am not going to argue that point, but the hops flavors were riotous. It almost seems cliche, but this was everything that each hops variety could impart, rolled into one big hops blast. Pine and grapefruit were the prevalent flavors, but there was an earthy note that ran through it all. The finish was gaspingly dry and now I could taste the cooling peach and caramel flavors noted on the nose. This was a beer that was truly th sum of its parts and then some. Nice lacing formed in my glass as I CANtemplated just how many of these I would want or would drink at 7.2% ABV. Hmmm.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to jmgrub for sharing this one at Retsinis' tasting.

Pours a murky honey orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and slight herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest and grapefruit juice flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with a nice citrus forward hop presence all around.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 FL. OZ. can
Served in a teku glass

A - It is amber and cloudy. The two inches of beige head leave rings around the glass with each drink.

S - I smell citrus and resin.

T - There is plenty of flavor. It is citrus up front with a pine finish. It is in the west coast vein.

M - Medium

O - This beer is loaded with flavor. It will not leave your palate bored.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16oz can from bcrossan (thank you). Canned 4/1/14. Served in a goblet.

Pours amber gold with two and a half fingers of ecrue head. A nice layer of head persists and leaves large sheets of lace.

Huge aroma of fresh oranges followed by lemon peel, grapefruit and a nice sugary sweetness.

Bittersweet blast of citrusy hop flavors. Oranges, grapefruit, lemon zest, pine resin, hints of peach, mildly earthy bark, biscuity malt, pepper, vague mint and a little sting of alcohol. Bitter but not brutally so. A well rounded flavor trip with the hops in the driver's seat.

Oily slick medium body with tingly sharp carbonation. Grapefruit rind, orange peel and slight pine linger in the drawn out finish.

A well made bitter citrusy IPA. I may not hunt for more but given the opportunity I'd be glad to drink/buy some.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can into my Duvel tulip glass. The nose on this beer is amazing. Grassy, pungent hops all over the place. Deep orange appearance. Hazy. Taste is phenomenal. Citrusy hops throughout. One of the grassiest IPAs I have ever had. Very unique. A lot of bitterness but very balanced. One of the drier finishes around. Would be very difficult to make a night with several of these but a fantastic IPA. One if my "go to's". Well done.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

4.91/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First off, as I have been on here for several months, I have noticed that some of the rankings are an absolute joke. For example, to preface, I'm not a Stone hater. Their latest Enjoy By IPA is probably the best beer I have ever had, but when it comes to the Stone IPA, the Go To, and some other offerings, I don't get it. Some of the Stone beers are rated WAY too high. To segue, this beer specifically is absolutely a top 50 beer, and an incredible IPA. It blows Stone's base model IPA completely out of the water, yet look at the rankings. It just doesn't make sense. Also, does Beer Advocate not even recognize the World Beer Cup? I ask because this beer won the Gold Medal there earlier this year... This is a top 50 beer. Anyway, enough of my rant.

Went to Noda Brewery and got 2 four packs (all they would allow me to purchase). Canned on July 28th. Consumed August 1st through the 7th. *Note* this beer is now harder to get then the Alchemist or Pliny. Why? Two reasons: One, there actually is a shortage of citra hops, which the Hop, Drop, uses in 10 separate additions.. Two, this beer won the GOLD medal at the World Beer Cup in Denver, Colorado earlier this year, beating out over 200 American IPA entries, so it is in high demand.

Anyway, this brew is pretty spectacular. It is a classic "alcohol hidden sleeper" that you need to watch while drinking. It's best enjoyed one or two pints max in a sitting, and fridge the rest to be enjoyed another day. You don't want to be having 3 pints of this in a session because that 7.2 ABV is every bit of 7.2%.

Popping the top, the smell is absolutely heavenly. Many pungent citrus notes and very inviting. I could sit there and just smell it for 10 minutes. In the top 2 of the best noses of any beer I have ever had. Grapefruit is so pungent.

*As I alluded to earlier, this is pretty sharp for a single IPA. It leans more towards a DIPA. It is not a session brew- you cannot have more than 2 pints of this and not start to feel a little woozy. Somehow, again this is a single, and very different than the Sculpin IPA (with similar ABV), because I can actually have several of those, and not get knocked on my rear. Drink accordingly.

If you are in Charlotte for any reason and you love IPA's, you should be arrested for not checking this brewery out and getting you some Hop, Drop.

Hop, Drop 'n Roll from NoDa Brewing Company