Slumbrew Happy Sol - Somerville Brewing Company (Slumbrew)

Slumbrew Happy SolSlumbrew Happy Sol

good

Somerville Brewing Company (Slumbrew) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

A refreshingly tart and crisp hefeweizen brewed with local MA wildflower honey, orange peel and coriander, and fermented with the juice from over 1,000 blood oranges. It’s a cloudy, yet effervescent beer, with lingering banana and citrus notes balanced against a healthy wheat backbone and hoppy finish from Mt. Hood and Crystal hops.

(Beer added by: mduncan on 11-01-2011)

A - A cloudy golden color that pours with a fluffy head. It has a hint of orange-y red to it, suggesting the blood oranges used.

S - It smells like a summer day. Citrus is the main component, refreshing and light. The wheat comes through as well with hints of spice.

T - A crisp, tart flavor really comes through, with the spices and blood oranges mingling together to create a refreshingly complex beer. It's not overly sweet, and leaves a sweet lingering taste afterwards.

M - A very good level of carbonation, light but not too fizzy. Medium bodied.

O - A perfect beer for a warm summer evening. The citrus flavor is really refreshing and clean. It blows other hefeweizens that I've had out of the water.

4.93/5  rDev +34.3%

Usually don't look for Hefs, but my beer-trade friend in MA sent this out for me to try along with a couple others. This isn't your father's Hef - this is it's own thing.

A: Pours a hazy yellow. The head is a half finger of light cream, decent thickness.

S: Citrus over a light clean barley foundation. Pleasant and refreshing. Very well balanced.

T: Light, citrusy, not to heffy. pleasant refreshing fruit. The body is near perfect. Very well balanced and built. Also amazingly subtle, to the point that it disguises its own complexity.

M: Clean, crisp and refreshing, and complementary of the flavors. Delicate and light on the palate.

D: Incredibly drinkable. An amazing Hef in my book Very flavourful and complex for the style - you may not like Hefs - I'm not a huge fan, but this makes me think I should try others.

4.9/5  rDev +33.5%

After trying the Porter last night and really enjoying that, I picked up a bomber of this Hefe and expected to be disappointed, as I am with most American hefewiezens. This is not the case. Now that I'm drinking it, I regret buying only one bottle.
Poured into a Hefewiezen glass, I was pleased to find it cloudy and silky in appearance. The color is a very nice gold with might be hints of orange and red. Very Beautiful.
As I expected, the head broke from tradition and was not tall but I consider this a good thing.
As far as the flavor---I can't wait for Summertime when this beer will taste even more delicious than it does now. It has an undeniable orange/citrus taste hiding in it but it isn't sour at all. Somehow they were able to extract the best attributes from the oranges while leaving behind the worst. The addition of Blood Orange ( who would have thunk it?) completely works.
Little wisps of Belgian lace followed the beer down to the bottom of the glass, which I must report, is unfortunately empty now.
I can't wait to try this on tap so that I might review this beer further. :-) Ohhhh,it's going to be good!

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

4.63/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Originally reviewed on 2/12/12.

Pours a blond/blood orange color with a thin white head into my glass. The colors live up to the namesake in a big way. Cloudy too as well.

Coriander, orange peel and honey peek out in the nose. There's a good hint of the blood orange juice. Doesn't seem like an ordinary witbier.

Lots of citrus and coriander in the mouth. Clean. Crisp. The acidity of the blood orange juice is still present. It adds a new dimension to a style that is often marketed towards people that are new to craft beer.

Carbonation clashes with the acidity, which makes the result unsettling to my stomach. Otherwise, it's what you might expect for the style.

I certainly can't give it poor marks just because the acidity bothers my stomach. That is probably from the meal I had prior to this beer. Otherwise, this is an excellent example of the style. It might be too adventursome to a beginner but to me, it's just right.

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

This is not your average Hefeweizen! While the appearance and mouthfeel are appropriate for the style this unique take on a Hefeweizen comes from the blood oranges.

You pick up the citrus aroma at first wiff and then it really comes through in the finish providing a nice tartness at the end! This is not my favorite beer style but this Hefe may be the one (other than a few amazing German varieties) that brings me around to this style. Great beer to drink on a hot summer day!

4.55/5  rDev +24%

Appearance- A hazy orange color, you can tell it isn't filtered. A nice hefe color. A nice head is left after the pour around 2 fingers. A nice lacing is left behind in the glass.

Smell- Smells of banana, clove and tangy orange. I have to admit I have never had a blood orange before. The finish is of a bready smell.

Taste- the first flavor is a mild banana and clove followed by the breadiness. A tangy sweetness follows, i would say it is the blood orange to finish off the flavor. A nice citrus flavor is left on the tongue that lingers.

Mouthfeel- Smooth across the tongue a nice bite and sweetness. Leaves the mouth a little dry with a simple citrus sweetness. The carbonation is just right.

Overall- This is an nontraditional hefe, that I will be picking up again and again. I am glad I tried this beer and even happier that I picked up a second bottle. The citrus flavor makes this beer work.

4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

Wheat ale brewed with coriander, honey, bitter orange peel and blood orange juice, let's do this!

A: Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Cloudy golden orange with a big white head that has good retention and lacing.

S: Smells like a witbier more than a hefeweizen. Coriander and orange dominate.

T: Taste all the additions to the beer, especially the coriander, with the honey and bitter orange peel being more subtle. A little tart as well, presumably because of the blood orange juice addition.

M: A bit too light and watery.

O: If this was a witbier I'd say it was the best one I've ever tasted. Very good.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Slumbrew Happy Sol from Somerville Brewing Company (Slumbrew)