Slumbrew Porter Square Porter - Somerville Brewing Company (Slumbrew)

Slumbrew Porter Square PorterSlumbrew Porter Square Porter

good

Somerville Brewing Company (Slumbrew) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: beerdepartment on 11-23-2011

Rich black porter with a unique blend of chocolate, coffee, roasted and nutty flavors. Brewed with cocoa powder and conditioned with cacao nibs from Taza Chocolate. Bold flavors from the cacao nibs and black malts are balanced with a special blend of pale malts, oats and wheat to produce a lush and lingering mouthfeel.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Slumbrew Porter Square Porter Alström Bros

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Found a bomber of this at the local flowershop...this has recently become my favorite beer store of all time.

A: I love when a portr is so dark you can see me Algebra homework through it...(Oh, and I never once did my Algebra homework). This sucker is about as dark as you can get with out being pitch black. I was splitting it with a friend and did the second pour sometime after the first, and it still had amazing head...not a ton but good looking stuff.

S: I just reached for it to smell, and it hit me before the glass was even to my face. That is a good sign. Rich meaty aroma of sweet dark malts and molasses. It gives you the impression that it may even have some mocha in there, though I don't believe it does.

T: If Slumdog calls this a Porter, I'm dieing to see what kind of stout they crank out. This thing lingers on the tongue. It coats it in rich flavors that won't go without a swig of water...but you don't want them to go. There is a hint of chocolate in there, but more so simply a heavy malt flavor with only a hint of bitterness to give it a crisp bit as well.

M: Could be carbonated a little more, but when it taste this good; who gives a damn?

O: I love free beer, so that probably helps my review, but having good free beer is even better. I had a great time tasting and discussing this beer with my friends tonight. I almost chose a stout over this, and man I was sure glad I took this. A good lesson that sometimes it is OK to listen to others in the world of beer.

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

Found at Cobblestones in Lowell, MA this porter looks very dark brown-black with a decent tan head and fair lacing. The nose picks up a pleasant charcoal-malt with a tasteful evergreen hop hint. Polite but nice. There's much the same in the flavor with some light grass added to the charcoal-malt equation. It's very well blended into a highly drinkable yet flavorful porter with the classic touch of chocolate in the mix. It's got a medium body, a somewhat glassy feel with light carbonation. A sessionable porter that has some guts. Very nice.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Still rains on my parade that Somerville Brewing Company is brewed in Ipswich.

Opaque black even when held to light. Thick dark clay colored head strings up multiple layers of lace. Glass bottom retention.

Smells like mocha. I have sales meetings in the same same building as Taza chocolate and sitting there smelling my morning coffee and Taza chocolate and going over budget smells like this beer. But otherwise mocha.

Bold flavor, worthy of the "robust porter" title. Chocolate and roast malt with a little green coffee bean tinge Just enough hops to push the flavors forward.

My wife and I agree - it's like Founders Breakfast stout light.

Thanks goes out to portia99 for this brew.

22oz. Bomber

Pours a very nice black color, nice carbonation, with a nice one-finger creamy light tan head, which does leave some very nice sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, with lots of chocolate, and toffee/coffee notes. The taste is very nice malty, and lots of dark stuff. Medium body. Overall a very tasty brew, glad to have gotten a chance to try it.

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%

Bottle from Charles Street Liquors. I actually avoided the mead section long enough to buy some beers. :P

Served cool. Rounded pint glass pour. Cola-colored body. Wavering tan head.

Fuming, wafer-y scent. If I homebrewed, I'd probably point out the exact malt combo after the third try, smugly. Doesn't smell too much like cocoa. More like coffee & carob. And... prunes? The alcohol pokes through too.

Crispy carbonation & a soily feel are the first things I notice. Bittersweet & chalky chocolate. Fruity charred roast.

More like I sweet stout imo. I think this would of been extra tasty with some lactose. Someone Tweet that to them. My Jitterbug phone can't get online.

Had this from a tap at the Amesbury Brewfest on Sept 2012

Dark translucent color

Smells of dark chocalate and coffee

Very nice drinkable beer. For me, not best in class in regards to Porters. A little 1 dimensional in taste, with a slightly sharp mouthfeel.

Personally, I prefer slumbrew's IPA

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 1/2012.

Poured into a pint glass. Pours dark brown, almost black, whith a three-finger length tan head. Plenty of lacing is left on the side of the glass during consumption. There are aromas of dark roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and some alcohol. The chocolate aroma is strong. The chocolate is pretty strong in the flavor like it is in the aroma. I get some of those dark roasted malts and coffee. I do taste some of the alcohol. There's a nutty quality to the taste as well. The body is medium and is on the lower end of carbonation, so it feels a lot fuller than a porter usually does. The finish is clean, so it is easy to drink. This is a good beer.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle from Boston.

Pours dark even by porter standards with the body looking to be a viscous deep chestnut brown. A finger's worth of light tan/egg shell white head leaves thick legs of lace as it slowly dies down.

Cold coffee, espresso, and dark chocolate immediately come to mind. Rich hazelnut and light roast are thrown in there as well. The overall impression is strange and a bit off putting seeing that I equate it to wet dog. Picking apart the nose is a requirement for this beer, and even then, it still gives off a "damp" character.

A pronounced but not overdone roast is made prominent immediately. Nutty edges with a hazelnut center. Dark chocolate is etched into the finish with a splash of vanilla. This carries rich, dessert-like notes without being cloyingly sweet. I'm a fan.

The feel is my favorite part of this beer, carrying a light creaminess with a clean, lively feel. The weight of the body picks up in the finish.

A sessionable porter that carries with it classic porter characteristics. The nose was a tad off-putting at first but dipping into the taste I'd like a second pint. Thumbs up.

3.9/5  rDev -1%

22 oz bottle into pint glass

A - Pours a dark brown with a finger of light tan head.

S - Aromas of roasted malt and cocoa, with milk chocolate. Big on the chocolate aroma.

T - Chocolate in big piles. Chocolate pudding and cocoa nibs. Toffee and slightly burnt caramel. Roasted malts and a sliver of pine needle. Chocolate milk.

M - Medium body. Low carbonation is ok. Wet.

O - A fine beer that is entirely chocolate focused. Accomplishes what it sets out to do with great aplomb... That said I wouldn't drink more than a single bottle (12oz) at a time or order more than one pint. Enjoyable but takes some effort to drink because it is so sweet and chocolatey. You would have trouble eating a massive chocolate bar just like it is a tall order to drink a lot of this beer. Very interesting, though. Could be great with some spiciness such as cayenne, and a bunch more roast.

Slumbrew Porter Square Porter from Somerville Brewing Company (Slumbrew)