Ora - Lucid Brewing

Lucid Brewing visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: morimech on 10-25-2013)
Reviews by Snow81:

Snow81, Feb 16, 2014

Oelschlager, Apr 14, 2014

IchLiebeBierZu, Nov 13, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

sgttibbs, Sep 18, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a dark reddish/amber with one finger of head that quickly settled to a thin film. Light spotty lacing is left down the glass.

The aroma is going to surprise a lot of people. I get smoke. Packaging makes no mention of smoke character. I also get quite a bit of herbal hops and some caramel and toasted malt.

I also get smoke in the flavor. Not an overpowering amount, but seems to be the main flavor I pick up. Not bacon or ham flavor, just smoke. To go along with that is the sweet caramel malt with a touch of toasted bread as well as the herbal hops. It all works together and is nicely balanced.

The carbonation is a touch on the fizzy side, but otherwise a solid medium bodied beer.

I tried this on-tap first and immediately picked up the smoke. Saw the beer in stores and the packaging made no mention of smoke character so I assumed a bar screw up. But I get it in the bottles as well. They should mention that. I really like the beer.

morimech, Oct 25, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

bigbeers84, Dec 16, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

BeerSnobRobinson, Oct 03, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +18.1%

Not many people know what to classify this beer. We had multiple kegs go through our bar. It was very popular in it's short run. It is a SMOKED AMBER ALE. Anything smoked gets my attention.

There are also hints of pumpkin. I've noticed on other sites that they have 2 Lucid Oras. One with pumpkin spice added. Our's never mentioned the pumpkin spice but it is definitely there. No difference was mentioned on the keg either. So I assume all Ora is pumpkin spiced.

Overall great beer for a cold night and we get plenty of those in Minnesota.

Served on tap in a pint glass at Heartbreakers in Chaska

MartinHook, Jul 09, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours beautifully with a one finger collar of foam that didn't leave anything in the way of lacing upon swirling/dissipating. Glass isn't super clean, but appearance would have been a 5 for me if the head had stuck around a bit. Nice caramel color.

The bouquet and taste are both pretty sweet with prominent cherry notes. This beer drinks almost like a soda. I'm happy with how unique it is but it's not hitting the spot for me. The smokiness that a previous reviewer had mentioned is definitely present, and while it's not mentioned on the label, it's pretty well showcased on the Lucid website's page for Ora. Imagine mixing root beer and cherry soda, then drinking that next to a bonfire. On second hand, don't, that sounds awful.

By now my glass is 2/3rds empty, and there is literally zero foam. It is indeed fizzy and very much soda-pop-esque. Not sure how to feel about that.

Overall, this is a one-of-a-kind brew, but not something I would spend cash on when Foto is right next to it on the shelf - that's a personal preference thing, as red ales aren't my go-to style, but I see a lot of room for improvement here with regards to body, head retention, sweet/bitter balance, etc. I'm sure a lot of folks would love this beer but it's not for me.

Hop-Droppen-Roll, Nov 23, 2013

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

PhillipBreker, Sep 24, 2014
4.01/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fresh from the tap at the brewery, this is a gem of a beer. Hazy amber with a thick head, rich, malty, but not too sweet with nicely balanced hoppiness. Light smokiness is a bonus. Poured from a growler, two days later, still excellent.

mnredsoxfan69, Aug 23, 2014