Camo - Lucid Brewing

Lucid Brewing visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: tempest on 12-27-2011

3.08/5  rDev -10.5%

Strong alcohol content (9%) permeates the taste to the point of being slightly detrimental to the overall experience of the beer. As a pale ale, it is, of course, hoppy. I like that. But the aftertaste of alcohol overwhelms any other taste. The serving container was large, and it is crisp for a hot summer. But I will only drink it again if I find it on tap (to see if there is a difference).

3.45/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into rocks glasses for sharing.

A dark amber brew that raises a small heas which then recedes. Aroma is very malty. The mouthfeel comes across as a bit heavy and the alcohol gives an impression of sweetness. There is a lot of floral hoppiness to keep it lively however, and in the end I enjoy this beer. Probably not so good as a session brew.

3.18/5  rDev -7.6%

Golden, not much lace.  A rather malty nose.

Taste: Crisply floral and resin hop yields quickly to a very malty backbone.  Strong malt presence gets a bit overwhelming.  Finish is mostly clean with mild lingering bitterness.  Mouthfeel is medium and holds together well.  ABV is noticeable.  Carbonation is decent.  A double pale ale may be a category that's not for me. I greatly preferred the 'regular' version of pale ale, 'Dyno'.  I keep thinking I'm needing more hop.

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

A: Clear honey gold with a bubbly off white head. Decent lacing.

S: Citrus, orange peel and a bit of pineapple. Some biscuit-carmely malt in the background. Alcohol is present too. As it warms up a bit, the alcohol comes out even more in the nose and takes over everything else... yikes.

T: Hmmm... an imperial pale ale... I can see why they would call it this, I guess, since it's not that hoppy and the malt is way more prevalent than it should be. Lots of candy like sweetness with a big bready/carmel malt backbone and then some mild to medium pine and citrus hops. It does finish a bit dry, but not much aftertaste at all.

M: Medium to lighter body, but it does feel a bit thin. Average carbonation that is a bit prickly.

O: I've had this on tap a few times and I remember liking it more then. This is the first and probably the only bottle I will buy which is a bummer since they are local to where I pretty much grew up. Drinkability is okay, does drink lower than 9% (not nearly in the nose though). Honestly, it doesn't seem that well crafted overall... again a shame, but its the truth in my opinion.

3.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Lucid Camo. Imperial, or, Double Pale Ale, or India Pale Ale. Lucid Brewing, Minnetonka, MN.

Clear and coppery/amber colored, nice head of white, lace-leaving froth. Looks nice.

Aroma: Ah! Soft, floral, hoppy, fruity, citric…just right. Lovely, lovely stuff. Very, very nice. I could just keep drinking this in through the nose.

But enough drinking through the nose, let's try the mouth.
Mmmm meets yum. Tasty, tasty stuff. Tropical fruit, citrus, some pine, but mostly mango and guava. Pineapple, and apricot. Tasty. Mmmm. I mean it, mmm.
Great mix of hop and malt. Some caramel, some fruit in the malt body, with a bright, beautiful, fierce, and bitter hop profile. This is easily consumed, although t. he alcohol is not that terribly hidden, no, it is there, it is around, and it will not be silenced.

Yum. I'll say it again. This is very nice. And it took me long enough. My first taste was undecided. My second, I was further on the fence, and felt perhaps that it was not as good as I'd liked. That was from a sample bottle. But I took a chance, put it on tap, and now I'm really digging this, and I feel that I will dig it again.

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber received as an extra from the great BA trader from the north, Schlais.

Tea-colored, clear elixir poured into SA glass. Huge two finger head, down to stable one finger throughout tasting; coated glass with thick Belgian lace.

Now this is where things change. The aroma of sugar, caramel, malt is not what I expected from a DIPA of 9%. Now if you told me this was a malt heavy APA, then right on. But unfortunately, disappointing.

Nice refreshing and balanced taste. Malt, biscuit up front, smooth hop bitterness throughout. Caramel, vanilla accents.

Medium body, alcohol well hidden. Nicely carbonated.

Overall down graded d/t style. This is not my idea of a DIPA.
That being said, if you like a well balanced APA, this is your brew.

2.7/5  rDev -21.5%

Re-reviewing on a bottle that came in a couple weeks ago. WOW, major disappointment. I gave it a 3.9 on tap at Groveland last winter (had 2x), but this bottle is not good. Bad batch? What happened?

A: Nice golden blonde, just a bit of haze. Minimal head is white, tight and just right. Minimal lacing but that is ok.

S: Some floral hops up front, fading into some sweet, fruity citrus hops. The malts present much stronger

T: Follows the nose with some of floral, earthy hops. There is a significant, albeit bland malt presence. This is not nearly as hoppy as it should be. Slightly soapy finish.

M: A bit thin for an imperial, but heaver than a standard APA. Average hop bitterness on the finish, smooth and carbonated and coats the mouth without being too dry or sweet.

O: Not really that good. Major lack of hops and the malt profile is bland.

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%

Awesome bomber sent from laymansbeerfan. No bottling or freshness date visible, served in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

A: Brilliant clear honey gold with hints of straw, small white head leaves some decent lace.

S: Faint lemon & piney hops, fainter juicy citrus, malt, hints of toasted grain, biscuit...

T: Piney, grassy, earthy...biscuit malt, moderate bitterness, dry finish, with a hint of sweet alcohol.

MF: Light to medium mouth, lighter carbonation, bitter and dry.

O: Seemed more like an APA to me, except for the abv being so high. Not impressive in the hoppy beer category, but a beer I'm glad to have tried.

1.83/5  rDev -46.8%

On tap at Pizza Luce Hopkins.
I am always excited to try new beers, especially ones from new local brewers, and even more so when they are one of my favorite styles, the double IPA.

That being said, this beer came off as ambitious effort to break onto the burgeoning craft beer scene, which falls short of the ultimate goal of making a well rounded beer.

Pours and looks nice. The trouble starts in the smell, and continues through the taste. Alcohol, raw alcohol - like what you would smell in malt liquor - dominates most of the experience of this beer. How did the hops taste? What direction did they take the malt? These and other questions are never answered because of the overpowering and distracting alcohol flavor.

I tried this beer a second time, several weeks after the first, and I came away with exactly the same conclusion. I hate to admit it, but this beer is hard to drink, and seems unfinished.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

2.05/5  rDev -40.4%

Another local brewery finds its way into bottles. Haven't quite caught this one on tap yet, so, well, $7 for a bomber? OK. I'll bite. A little steep for an upstart brewery. Make some 12 oz. bottles, will you?

Pour is clear sunshine, like you used to draw on the upper corner of a clean sheet of paper when you were seven, with carbonation that eases quickly & little in the way of bubbles. Nose is dominated by pale malts, slight sweetness, notable absence of malts. Mmmmm?

Camo is going to blend into the shelves well & isn't going to be easy for me to spot again. More malt than I like, there's big Halloween sweetness up front, shouting & waving to divert attention from the mild hops. Hops? I suppose there are some in the timid grapefruit & melon rind, & a middling, flabby bitterness. There's an unpleasant metallic twang on the finish that really sticks to the mouth cells. It grows stronger as the beer warms. Too flat. Sticky, but not in a good way, it's more sticky sweet.

Eh. This isn't very good. A big pale like this needs hops, encompassed in either bitterness or flavor, & this brew is embarassingly weak on both. Toss in too much malt, an unpleasant aftertaste, & this one's a failure. Based on this sample, I won't try anything from Lucid again anytime soon.

2.25/5  rDev -34.6%

Just hit in bottles, so it's gotta be fresh. My first beer from this new Twin Cities brewery. Tasted 20 April 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a very bright orange color, with two fingers of fluffy off-white head. As clear as water, so clear I can read the label on the other side of the class, and see the bubbles slowly making their way up to the surface. Serious gobs of sticky lacing.

I smell nothing, despite burying my nose in my tulip glass. If I really dig, I get a bit of earthy hops, but that's all. Doesn't actually smell bad, but there's nothing good about it. As it warmed up, it didn't get any hoppier, but some pulpy orange came out.

Taste has some issues. Starts out bland, then shifts to a pungent rounded melony flavor. This slightly off flavor then gives way to a sharp bitterness (combination of alcohol and hop acids). I get very little malt flavor, and very little hops other than that punch of sharp bitterness late. This beer is not doing it for me. Tastes like bitter water with some other weird stuff going on.

Mouthfeel is fine. On the heavy side.

I do not like this beer. It's one part bland, and one part bad. No balance - water and bitter blast. Every time I drink it, I gag a little from the blast of alcohol combined with lack of flavor. I couldn't even come close to finishing a bomber of it.

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%