1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

High Grade Export - Cheboygan Brewing Company

High Grade Export
No picture uploaded.

Cheboygan Brewing Company visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 03-04-2014)
Reviews by Slay40:

Slay40, May 02, 2014
3.36/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Cheboygan Brewing Company's High Grade Export last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm in the mood for a Pilsener and I thought I would give this one a try since Cheboygan Brewing Company seems to be pretty solid, so lets see hoe it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh since it was just released. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Pilsener glass.

A- The label looks look ok, it's pretty simple looking and I wish it said what style of beer it is on the label, it isn't too eye catching. It poured a pretty cloudy slightly orange golden color that took on more of a darker orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but the color was a little dark for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a very bready, grainy, and sweet malt like aromas with the sweet and bready malts seeming to stick out the most and there's a light caramel and toasted aroma in the background. Up next comes the hops that impart a slight earthy aroma with some fruity hops seeming to stick out the most and it imparts a generic fruity hop aroma. The aroma was nice, but I was expecting a little more hops aromas to balance out the malts, it seemed a little unbalanced.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all those malty aspects that they did in the aroma with the sweet and grainy malts seeming to stick out the most this time. Up next comes a doughy yeast flavor followed by hops which impart a light earthy and citrus rind hop flavor. On the finish a slightly higher amount of lighter bitterness with a grainy, sweet malt and bready aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but the balance seemed a little worse than it was in the aroma and the malts seem to dominate the flavor.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, fairly crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it seemed pretty true to style.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and it wasn't the greatest example of Pilsener especially for a Pilsener that they say is double hopped, it almost like when Miller Light calls their beer a triple hopped Pilsener, they might be telling the truth, but it never comes through in the taste and the aroma and to me the lack of hops was this beers biggest problem and that made it fairly unbalanced. This beer had decent drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, not filling, and fairly crisp, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these, but I think the taste would prevent me from that and I think I would get bored with it fairly quickly so I think one would be my limit. What I like the most about this beer was the mouthfeel it was pretty nice and I think it was the most Pilsener like aspect of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it was fairly bland and it was unbalanced, which isn't what I look for in the style. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's priced nicely, but it's not hard to find a better pilsener and I don't think I would recommend this as a good Pilsener. All in all I thought this beer was just ok and it really wasn't what I look for in a Pilsener, especially one that claims it's double hopped. Better luck next time guys, this one could use a little work. This one is up there with La Cerveza as my least favorite beers from this brewery.

StoutHunter, Mar 04, 2014

dmorgan310, May 11, 2014
2.52/5  rDev -14.6%

douge2fresh, Aug 26, 2014
High Grade Export from Cheboygan Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.