Lighthouse Amber - Cheboygan Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
good

Cheboygan Brewing Company visit their website

Altbier |  5.25% ABV

(Beer added by: jmich24 on 11-27-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
StoutHunter

4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

I picked up a bottle of Cheboygan Brewing Company's Lighthouse Amber yesterday for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I have never heard of this brewery before, but I am always down to try a new Michigan brewerys, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good and it has a nice looking picture of a lighthouse on it. It poured a nice muddy amber color that took on a nice bright ruby amber color when held to the light. It had three and a half fingers worth of fluffy light tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left lots of nice lacing. This is a great looking beer, no complaints here.

S- The aroma of this beer seems to be dominated by caramel malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart a very big toasted bread aroma along with some light grains and biscuity aromas. At the end I got a nice dose of caramel that added some good complexity and I didn't pick up any hops in the aroma. This is a nice smelling beer the toasted bread and caramel aromas go very well together.

T- The taste mirrors the aroma nicely, they are pretty much the same. It starts off with loads of caramel malts that have just the right amount of medium sweetness and impart a big toasted bread flavor that is followed by an equally nice caramel flavor. Towards the end I get some light earthy hops flavors followed by a light amount of bitterness and a slightly sweet toasted bread aftertaste that stayed for a while. This is one tasty beer, the malt profile is pretty much perfect, I really like it and the quality of the ingredients really comes through in the taste.

M- Very smooth, surprisingly creamy, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked very well with this beer, there is nothing I would change.

Overall I was really impressed with this beer and I thought it was a great Altbier. This beer was all about the malts and they were very well put together and that made for one tasty brew that I really enjoyed drinking. This beer has great drinkability, it's real smooth, not filling, and the taste really grabs my attention, I could drink this all night and perfectly satisfied. What I liked most about this beer was pretty much everything, but I think the flavors were my favorite aspect, I really liked the combination of toasted bread and caramel. What I liked least about this beer was the absence of hops, a little more hop flavor might make this the best Altbier ever, I also didn't like the fact that it had not bottling date, all new brewerys should date their bottles, it just makes sense. I will for sure be buying more of this beer, it's too good not to and I highly recommend it to anyone, it's that good. I was really impressed with this beer and brewery, they sure made a very good first impression on me, for a beer and brewery that I have heard nothing about this was a great surprise and I am glad I took a chance on this brew. This has to be the best Altbier I have ever had, I don't think they get much better then this. Awesome job on this beer guys, rest I assured I will be more then willing to check out more of your brews, this is quite the sleeper beer, people need to know how awesome this beer is, you can bet I will spreading the word.

03-12-2012 03:46:40 | More by StoutHunter
Donnelj

4.35/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a very nice ruby red with a small off-white head.

Smells of roasted malt and molasses

Nice creamy mouth feel

Tastes is sweet and nutty with very smooth finish.

This is an an excellent brew overall with a wonderfully complex flavor and a very smooth finish.

07-08-2013 00:15:03 | More by Donnelj

03-20-2014 22:41:52 | More by Mxsluis
Dustin_A_Stoutdrinker

02-27-2014 04:35:59 | More by Dustin_A_Stoutdrinker
jmich24

A: One finger fluffy off white head. Deep amber color. Nice lacing.
S: Big carmel malts!
T: Sweetness of the huge carmel maltiness is balanced with a light earthy bitterness on the finish.
M: Medium mouthfeel, easy drinking and smooth. Light bitterness is just enought to balance it out.
O: This was a very solid offering up at the Millersburg Bar in the NE Michigan. I walked in expecting to order PBR and ended up drinking three of these. Very well done!

11-27-2011 05:29:09 | More by jmich24

Hrodebert

07-20-2014 18:25:38 | More by Hrodebert
GRPunk

3.61/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a pokal.

A- 1-1/2 finger head fizzes and drops to a light film. Clean, chestnut body. lots of spritzy carbonation. The head is ever changing as the heavy carbonation continues to rush to the surface. Decent stick.

S- really malty. Mix of brown sugar and toasted nuts. Quite robust, really.

T- Follows aroma. Lots of roasted nuts and brown sugar/caramel. Lighter fruity tones, dark fruit, like overripe plums. Slight spicy, peppery hops.

M- Moderate body. Heavy, though delicate carbonation.

O- It's an easy drinker. While not well versed in altbiers, it's much nuttier and sweeter than expected. I could be fooled for some sort of nut brown even. Nice late winter, early spring beer. I can even see similarities to the Salvator I've been enjoying through Lent (even with obvious style difference). I'd buy it again when I crave a malty treat.

03-10-2013 20:54:06 | More by GRPunk
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.59/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from Champagne's. Hits the spot, better than I thought. Malty aroma. A good balance of malt complexity, not too sweet. Very good drinkability. A tad above average mouthfeel, smooth. Tan coloured body and a bit of tan coloured head. A transition beer.

03-03-2013 01:36:05 | More by Sammy
hackmann

3.59/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: dusty mahogany with a one and a half finger tan head that leaves no lacing

Aroma: toasted malts with a touch of hops, simple and mild

Flavors: toasted grains, sweet brown nut-fruit bread, roasted caramel, faint grassy feel,

Mouthfeel: light carbonation, smooth, bready aftertaste with a dusting of dry hops, medium body, not too sweet, very mild to mild bitterness,

To the Point: a nice tasting altbier, I would buy this again

05-27-2013 22:19:47 | More by hackmann
WoodBrew

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasting my second beer from Cheboygan Brewering over Father's Day weekend in Michigan. The beer pours a nice clear amber with thin white head that is not lacing. The smell includes milk chocolate and roast. The taste has what the smell provides. A very solid beer, but not my favorite amber....to me this is closer to a Brown Ale than amber. Nonetheless...worth part-taking in for sure.

06-16-2012 20:21:22 | More by WoodBrew