La Cerveza - Cheboygan Brewing Company

La Cerveza
No picture uploaded.

Cheboygan Brewing Company visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: WoodBrew on 06-16-2012)
Reviews by smalenberg:

3.55/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

In Michigan over Father's Day and I'm trying La Cerveza from Cheboygan Brewering. It poured a clear golden color with thin white head that did not leave a lacing. The smell includes grains with hints of lemon citrus. The taste is very smooth and a good mix of biscuit and light touches of lemon. The mouthfeel is light to medium in body with subtle carbonation. Overall it is a very tasty beer and would be good with a lime.

3.43/5  rDev +7.5%

I picked up a bottle of Cheboygan's La Cerveza last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I had a sample of this beer last month at a beer festival and I was impressed, so since they just released this in bottles recently I decided to try it again, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, its got a nice tropical beach scene, even though Cheboygan is far away from any tropical beach. It poured a nice hazy yellow color that took on more of a brighter golden slightly orange color when held to the light with one and a half fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left hardly and lacing. This beer is pretty average looking, the color was nice, but the head and lacing were disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a good amount of malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart lots of doughy, grainy, bread, and biscuit like aromas. Towards the end I get a slight earthy aroma followed by a noticeable citrus lemon aroma. The aroma was pretty simple and clean, I liked it for what it was.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, it starts off with lots of malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart lots of grainy, bready, doughy, and biscuit flavors that are pretty nice and flavorful. Up next comes a light earthy flavor with a very slight citrus lemon flavor that is barely noticeable. On the finish it has hardly any bitterness with a really, grainy, bready, and biscuit like aftertaste that really sticks around. This beer had a simple and clean flavor that I liked, but the I wish the citrus lemon showed up just a little more.

M- Very smooth, a little crisp, overly dry, on the medium side of being light bodied, and it had a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty average, it was too dry for the style and the carbonation could have been toned down just a little.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a good example of an American take on a Mexican style lager, this beer tasted somewhat similar to most Mexican style lagers, just replace the corn flavors with biscuit and bread flavors and you have this beer. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it went down really smooth, was a little refreshing, and the flavors held my attention for a little while, a few of these on a warm summer day would be nice. What I liked most about this beer was how clean and drinkable it was, it made this beer go down pretty fast. What I liked least about this beer was the lack of lemon in the taste and the overly dry mouthfeel, if those things were fixed this would be a pretty good beer. I would buy this beer again when I want a smooth, drinkable beer, with a little bit of flavor to it, I would much rather have this then a Carona, but I don't see me buying it that often, I recommend this beer to anyone looking for a clean and drinkable beer. All in all I thought the bottled version was slightly above average, but I thought the sample I had on draft last month was better, it had a little more citrus flavors and it didn't feel as dry. A solid beer from a solid brewing company, keep up the consistency Cheboygan Brewing Company.

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%

3.53/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an English "pot" pint glass.
Deep gold in color, with a nice, frothy head of white foam.
Aroma-Faint pilsner malt
Taste-Soft bread malt,mild hop note. Very refreshing and easy drinking on a hot day. Sessionable at only 4.0ABV.

2.88/5  rDev -9.7%