Ouroboros - The Alchemist

No picture uploaded.

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: chippo33 on 11-30-2013

An American Double IPA first brewed for 8/8/08. Plenty of hops are complimented by a large addition of Curacao orange peel.
to view more.
Ratings: 82 | Reviews: 9
Reviews by BTVflatlander:
4.99/5  rDev +12.6%

Ecstatic to have had it on-tap at Prohibition Pig in Waterbury, Vt. I had heard great mutterings that this could be better than Heady. Oh baby.

A: Pretty, but I didn't have enough time to appreciate it in my anticipation.

S: MUCH more citrusy than Heady, yet more orangey than grapefruit.

T: Dear God. Juicy orange, juicy orange, juicy orange. Simply amazing.

M: Creamy and delicious, my good friend likened it to a creamsicle--I somewhat agree.

O: Undoubtedly superior to Heady Topper. If they ever can this, look out. Get it if you can for the love of God.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at the Reservoir. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Hazy orange. Nice white head. Leggy with a nice white collar. Sticky lacing.

Smell - Super hoppy. Lots of orange, but herbal hops in equal measure. Sweet pale malts.

Taste - Immediately tastes like Heady Topper, but then an herbal character takes over. Grassy and orange-y. Sweet in the middle. Minimal bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium to medium heavy. Sweet, but there's enough hop flavor to justify it.

Overall - I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is just Heady with a slight change in malt and hops. Plus the orange additions. As a result, it's awesome.

4.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Great beer. I sure hope they tap this again when the brewery opens. I hear they won't can it, but I hope they change their minds. There is nothing like a VT IPA, and this is a really smooth, great beer.

4.38/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - The beer is slightly cloudy golden yellow with a mellow white head. good lace in glass

S - citrus with other tropical fruits

T - delicious citrus DIPA that fills your mouth

M - balanced citrus and hop embodied mouthfeel

This elusive beer is worth the effort to find; hopefully a new can is in the works or at least a return to the growler

4.89/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served in a Tulip glass at the Prohibition Pig on 12/27/13. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance: Hazy amber with a creamy white, head that doesn't stay around too long. Beautiful, persistent lacing.

Smell: Oh my god. Oh my god. Lots of citrusy, floral hops, and the bitter orange peel just accentuates all of this. This may be the best smelling DIPA I've ever had. I want to bathe in this.

Taste: Like the smell, absolutely amazing. Tons of citrus, with creamy, bready malts backing up notes of herbal pine and orange peel. The hops here are ridiculous. This is like Heady, but better. And bitter, too, particularly in the aftertaste. I just can't get over how fantastic this is.

Mouthfeel: Beautifully creamy, with a thick body for an IPA. Carb is well balanced, and moderate. It lingers in the mouth for quite a while.

Overall: Please can this beer, I want to drink this much more often than I can get to Waterbury. I never thought anyone would be able to outdo Heady Topper, but this beer definitely does so in my book. Every hop-head should get a taste of this.

4.63/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Traveled down to the Reservoir pub to enjoy this.
Served on tap in a snifter glass.
Appearance is intimidating. Light will not pass through it, so hazy. I've never seen a thicker looking DIPA. Nice solid 1 finger of foamy head.
Aromas are hops, not too dissimilar from Heady, but also present an undercurrent of orange.
Taste is intense. Big, fat, full flavor of hops and flavor/bitterness of orange. That bitterness after sipping an Orangina is a note I would compare the orange/bitterness to. It's unique and interesting. The range of flavor is in perfect balance with the hops and not overly sweet.
Mouthfeel is chewy. A whole lot of flavor for your palate to work on. Mellow sweetness and mild bitterness linger.
This beer is not to be taken lightly. The flavor profile here goes up to 11. A sipping beer that might be too much for some. For those who get it though, it's unforgettable.

Figured my first review should be a beer that absolutely blew me away. Totally unexpected taste from a brewer I should have expected it from.

A- Golden color served in a tulip glass. I'd give it one finger of foamy goodness. As good as it looked I had to move on.

S-I closed my eyes and was in an orange grove, blossoms from an April morning

T- Hops hit you hard but then an orange sweetness takes over, and hangs in there. The orange was so powerful you couldn't taste the alcohol, and I didn't taste any bitterness.

M-Definitely a full-bodied feel to it.

O-This beer was absolutely perfect. I'm new here, but I've drank enough beer to know that this was an outstanding beer. I had it right along side a Heady, and man I have to say this was slightly better. Please can this.

4.93/5  rDev +11.3%

OVERALL: This beer is a slightly more hopped up version of Heady Topper, with a hint more cat piss on the nose underneath the other aromas, and a taste of pepper and zest. Compared to HT, it sips smoother, it's lighter in body, and it is more dry with a more bubbly pop on the tongue. Great DIPA!

A: A darker version of Heady Topper (might be the lighting), that is more red orange tulip than it is HT's grapefruit color. About 70% opacity, with no noticeable sediment. The only thing that makes this less than perfect is the lack of head on my pour (may have just been my pour). The head is a thin half a centimeter that did not linger overly long.

S: Citrusy, hoppy. There is an underlying nose of cat piss/ dankness - but you really have to stick your nose in the glass to get this sense. I would say that inhaling deeply provides you with three other aromas (citrus, pepper, malt), before you get to the little bit of stinkiness.

T: Again, a more hopped up version of HT, with the same level of citrus, but not the same grapefruit taste of HT. A little peppery. A little bit more citrus peel bitterness with an accompanying lack of sweetness. A little piney. Very refreshing. Nearly perfect DIPA taste overall, only lacking that extra level of juiciness that I associate with a perfect DIPA. I still gave it a 5.00, but it's more 4.95 on the Taste scale.

M: A small head translated into small carbonation bubbles, with a decent amount of crispness, acidity, and effervescence that pop on the tongue. This all lends itself to a beer that is exceptionally smooth, a little light in body, and is quite dry. Very nice mouthfeel.

4.41/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-hazy orange amber color with a decent white head and good lacing

S-citrus, orange, pine, bready malt, hint of herbal and sweetness

T-grapefruit, malt, herbal, orange, hint of sweetness, pine, moderate bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-reminiscent of Heady but with a pleasant orange and slightly sweet flavor on the palate

to view more.