Follow our progress ...

Focal BangerFocal Banger

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American IPA

An American IPA, hopped judiciously with Citra and Mosaic.

Added by hillvt4me on 01-30-2014

Reviews: 185 | Ratings: 1,915
4.49/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one where the sum is greater than the parts. Had it straight out of the can in a restaurant in Burlington, Vermont. To me, the grapefruit and pine smell and flavor really ran over everything else.

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this while I was in a restaurant in Vermont. Tasted really good, but I still like Heady Topper a bit more. Had a great smell and taste. Glad I got to try this one.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm not sure if this is a better beer than Heady, but it's definitely more up my alley in terms of what I'm looking for in an IPA. Lighter on the malt, heavier on the tropical fruits, and a beautiful dry finish. This is a top tier IPA, and manages to maintain high bitterness levels, while incorporating some of the softer flavors associated with these NE IPA's. Man, I can't wait until this is available by the case.

Just wow. The absolute only thing that could be classified as a complaint is the tiny amount of floaties on the bottom of the can (which I personally see no problem with). It's the same tingly hoppy floral and citrus perfection as heady exception in a slightly lighter and less dry IPA form. Perfect malt backbone to catapult the hop character. A little bit less complex than Heady, but don't let that take anything away from this gem.

4.77/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The smell is amazing. Smells like a wedding in the meadow. The color is a hazy gold. It is the after taste of floral notes that makes this beer top notch. Not as much bite as Heady.

It smells better from a glass.
But tastes better out of the can.

4.51/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

FINALLY got one at the Prohibition Pig on April 9. Poured a little into glass to see what it looks like; otherwise drank from can.

L: Not unlike HT, a hazy pale golden. Minimal head and lacing.

S: Grapefruit, other citrus, mango (there's your Citra hops), light malt.

T: Generally follows nose. More light grapefruit than anything else. Resiny and piney on end.

F: Light to medium bodied, light to medium carbonation. Good drying with no bitterness and the famous Alchemist balance.

O: Definitely Heady Topper's little brother, more sessionable and a little less intense. Can't wait until they retail.

4.64/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this one straight from the can at Prohibition Pig in VT. This is a slightly better version of Heady Topper, the hops are juicier and the nose is stronger. Pro Pig almost always has it, so if you are in VT and want to tick this one, head to Pro Pig!

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

wow! been waiting to try this one.... drinking from the can like it commands, it tastes like Squirt. very delicious, very refreshing and very easy to drink! how does one rate it if one cant pour it into a glass, though? so i did. it actually may even taste a little different(?). slightly hazy, thin head. but yes, it DOES taste better from the can.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Hard to rate how it looks as I drank right from the can as directed.
I think I like it better than Heady, can't wait for new brewery to open and hope for larger distribution.

4.95/5  rDev +6.9%

Lighter than the Heady Topper, but you get the same flavor profile. This one is smooth and piney, and I was able to drink these all night without getting really messed up like from the HT. Highly recommended.

4.89/5  rDev +5.6%

L: If you like your beers clear, you may want to keep this one in the can. Opaque with minimal head, and lots of floating hop goodness. Minimal alcohol legs but this is to be expected with a %7 brew.

S: Right off the bat I get punched with orange and lemon peel, there is some pineapple that pokes it's head through supporting the citrus tones perfectly. There is a touch of dankness behind all of this but the citrus tones take front stage.

T: This one really is an assault on the pallet, the taste doesn't carry as much of the citrus peel flavors but rather gives way to some of the underlying pineapple and mango that rests beneath. Directly after the fruit juice bombardment I was hit with a metric S-ton of bitterness that did not overstay it's welcome falling off clean giving way for the pineapple/mango to resinate.

F: This brew has an amazing mouthfeel, it is smooth as can be and has an almost creamy quality to it. This was one of my favorite aspects of Heady and this is right up there with its older brother.

O: This is an absolutely amazing beer, it can be hard to get but is definitely worth seeking out if you are a hop head such as myself. It is hard for me to do justice with words just how good this beer really is, I honestly can't think of a single flaw.

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

White head. Lace. Hazed golden yellow.

The mosaic hops show well. Very juicy. Nice nose. Tropical and fruity. Melon and mango. Orange.

Medium bodied. Nice bitterness and stickiness. A bit dank and resiny.

Very solid. Worth the hype.

The dankest of the dank, hits the pallet soft and juicy, then it thrashes it with hops. Can almost feel your enamel being stripped. Truly a hop lovers dream.

4.57/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can into tulip. No can date.

L. Dark yellow, light orange with full on haze. Very light fluffy, white head 2 fingers. Moderate lacing.
S. Lots of citrus and pine, definitely getting a good amount mosiac.
T. Lots of citrus right of the bat. Mixes in with tropical fruit mid palate (getting a good amount of orange) and then on the finish there is a lot of great grapefruit, bitte, pine.
F. Lighter creamy mouthfeel with nice carbonation.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Had Focal out of a can at the Mule Bar in Winooski. Did not pour any into a glass, so I'm assuming the look is as awesome as the rest of it. The aroma is an explosion of citrus smells, as good as any IPA out there. The taste that follows is well balanced between hops and citrus, with a great, smooth feel. Really enjoyed this beer. It exceeded my expectations, and I'd take this over Heady. I hope they distribute beyond bars. It's a keeper.

4.63/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks, Kara! Enjoyed 50/50 from the can first and then poured into a glass. In hindsight, I preferred it from the can; as you would expect, there were floaties galore in the glass - doesn't bother me one bit. Not overly turbid or murky. A nice cloudy orange gold. It's such a balanced IPA, it's beautiful. Part crisp citrus, bushy pine, tropical fruit and exquisite bitters, this IPA sings a balanced tune from start to finish. Not too juicy, resiny, bitter or hot. It's the beer that Goldilocks would drink after breaking into the bear's house. Fucking hard to find, for sure, but it really is a treat when you do track it down.

4.95/5  rDev +6.9%

Simply put one of the best IPAs I have had. Consumed from a fresh 16oz can.

Tons of dank goodness with the right balance of bitter and citrus. Smooth.

Awesome smell of juiciness ,citra & mosaic hops. Med. mouth feel and nice bitterness . Had this beer when I was in Vermont. I think you only get it in pubs,but that may changed since Oct when I was there. VERY SCARY EASY DRINKING goes down fast.

4.21/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Definitely enjoyable, but I thought it tasted a bit like Heady's just-a-little-younger brother rather than something that offered its own personality. Lemon and lime were the primary aromas and flavors extracted from the hop profile. Tastes like the conan yeast strain is in there as well.

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Consumed from a can purchased at the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier, VT.

I give the appearance a neutral 3 because I drank the beer from the can.

The aroma brings an absolutely absurd amount of citrus. Smelling this beer is like taking a walk through Odin's orange grove wearing a Smell-O-Scope. There's so much juicy grapefruit, and orange rind, but just enough bitter, grassy hop resin to balance everything out. Absolutely incredible.

The taste follows the nose with an atomic explosion of grapefruit and tropical fruits, followed by some bitter, earthy hop resin. Bitterness lingers for a while after each sip.

The mouth is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Extremely creamy, smooth and lightly bitter.

Overall, I simply need more of this beer. It is incredible. It is every bit as good as Heady and the flavors and aromas really stand out on their own. Can't wait for this to start getting retail distribution.

Probably my favorite single IPA I've had to day. In my opinion it's better than heady topper.very resinous, lots of tropical fruit and citrus. Its a very dry IPA as well. Very crisp another winner from the alchemist.

3.47/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Session Heady Topper"

Great beer for those who cannot handle the explosive taste from HT.. It's not a true "session" because Focal Banger still packs a lot of flavor. Were it a standalone, it would probably be rated higher but it's hard not to compare to the older brother.

Worth trying if in the area, but outside of that nothing that amazing that stands out

4.76/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: Hazy gold body with a bubbly white head; decent lacing. Looks great out of the can, but drinks better in the can.
S: big citrus aromas with perfume florals. The hop notes are intense out of the can, so much that it muddies the aromas and it ends up smelling like a lot of citra and mosaic ipas. Inside the can, however, its more subdued and much more elegant.
T: Citrus, herbals and subtle tropical notes dominate the palate.
F: Soft, sticky, prickly and perfect bitterness.
O: maybe not quite the masterpiece HT is, but I prefer this one. I wouldn't say I was becoming bored with HT, because I still haven't had that much of it, but this beer reminded me why it blew me away in the first place--The Alchemist's totally unique style. FB takes a hope blend I LOVE and put a totally new spin on it. Bravo!

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After drinking HT, figured this we be ...meh. Wrong! Another great tasting Alchemist brew.

Nice aroma from the can.
Not sure exactly how to explain it, but it definitely had that familiar mouth feel...like HT, but a touch thinner.
Another delicious IPA I could drink all day.

I can't really say anything about look since it came directly from the can. When I first heard of the Alchemist I couldn't wait to try Heady Topper. The day I had my first Heady, my wife said I looked happier drinking that beer than I did on my wedding day. I can't say I agree but I was pretty pumped. During my most recent trip to Burlington I got to try Focal Banger for the first time. I was taken away by how good the beer was. I'd even go as far to say that it is better than Heady Topper. I just hope that when The Alchemist opens up their brewery that they put more of a focus on getting this beer distributed to places other than restaurants.

Focal Banger from The Alchemist