Holy Cow - The Alchemist

Holy CowHoly Cow

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: ThatsThatDude on 04-16-2014

Holy Cow is an old favorite being revisited. When we opened our doors for business at the old pub, this was one of the initial offerings. Back then, I was testing the waters to see how people would respond to a truly hoppy IPA. Funny, right?

We soon started to refer to it as a Session IPA, as most of my other IPAs came in above 7% ABV. Through the years, Holy Cow went through countless changes before settling into a groove near the end. In that spirit, I am wiping the slate clean for this new recipe.

The malt bill is the same, but the hops are most defiantly different. Columbus and Amarillo are now joined by Huell Melon, a new and unique hop from Germany. So sit back, relax, and get into a little sesh with Holy Cow. Enjoy..
Ratings: 132 | Reviews: 10
Reviews by 80x2HopHead:
3.71/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16 oz. can poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep orange body. Small white head and a medium collar. Wispy surface.

Smell - Musty hops. A little lemony. Pungent pine. Mild toasty malt.

Taste - Much more pine hops. Again a little lemony. Toasty malt. Caramel sweetness. Bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, maybe medium heavy. Bitter, but drinkable.

Overall - Dramatically different hop profile from the other Alchemist IPAs, and not to its advantage.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Can shared by the brewer at Roc Brewing in Rochester, NY.

Pours a very hazy murky dark orange, with 1.5 inches of head, and a little bit of lacing.

Interesting aroma, very juicy with orange and mango, with some grass and pine aromas as well.

The Huell melon hops provide some great, unique hop flavors. Quite juicy up front, with orange, mango, and grapefruit, it descends into a distinct grassiness, with an earthy flavor almost similar to tobacco. Only mildly bitter.

Medium bodied, very crisp mouthfeel and very drinkable. Medium carbonation.

Always great to try something new from The Alchemist, this had an unique hop flavor to it.

4.24/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tall can received in trade with iguenard - thanks as always!

Appearance - Gold colour with a large size white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some decent lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Hops, apricots, tangerines

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste apricot, grapefruit, and oranges/tangerines. There is also some pineapple and quite a bit of dank hop flavour.

Overall - A great session IPA at only %5 ABV. Lots of fruity sweetness and a good wallop of hops. This is something I'd drink a ton of if it was available to me locally.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Slightly darker than your typical session IPA. Golden yellow, hazy, nice creamy head.

S - I love the one hop variety in this, I can't recall the name, but I really get a lot of melon. Fruity. Awesome.

T - Follows the smell perfectly. Lots of awesome melon and fruit. Nice malt backbone, but certainly hop forward.

M - This is easily the best mouthfeel on any session IPA I've had. It still actually has a mouthfeel. With beers like All Day, Go To, and others I'm failing to remember, the mouthfeel is more like a Bud Light than an actually good beer. This retains it so nicely. A big surprise for me, and makes it my favorite session IPA by a long shot.

O - The ratings on this are shockingly low to me. This beer is easily the best session IPA I've had. I'm so disappointed I don't have more. I wasn't expecting this to be nearly this good because I normally don't enjoy low abv attempts at IPAs. John Kimmich nailed it again. He's a genius with IPAs.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served from a pounder into an Alchemist wili becher.

Appearance- Hazy golden with short white head that left some nice lacing.

Smell- I'm mostly getting grassy/floral notes from the hops with not much else. Some light citrus and mild malt aroma. Pretty standard ipa.

Taste- GRassy, piney, grapefruit, tangerine, with bitter pine hops at the finish. Soft malts balance nicely with the hops. Reminds me of Edward.

Mouthfeel-Full carbonation, medium body, light and refreshing. Semi dry finish. Easy to drink.

Overall- It's a nice beer that reminds me a lot of Edward. Nice and easy to drink, but with plenty of hops. I'd take, Focal, Heady, or the Crusher over this just about any day, but by no means does that make this a bad or forgettable beer.

4.16/5  rDev -1%

A-Pours a medium orange color. white foam head in the can.

S-Aroma of pine to grass, mango and melon.

T- pine hop character, melon, mango, citrus, malt and herbal notes.

M- velvety bitter flavors linger. Shredded through my can. Light bodied and easy drinking.

O-A great beer and solid brewery. I appreciate the roots that this brewery has held onto as well as the new roots in the surrounding areas. Cheer.

4.64/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm so happy this is in a can now! Sooo good!

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Poured slowly into Night Shift Teku glass. Large white head that quickly dissipates. Dark yellow body. Looks like a dehydrated person's piss.

Smell: Light citrus nose. Has the smell of a old heady topper.

Taste: Session-able, yet enjoyable for a hop head. Light citrus-earthy front concluded by a bitter end. Yet not overpowering. Tastes like hop juice to me.

Mouthfeel: Little watery, no malt backbone which does not bother me. Once again it is session-able.

Overall: I have been enjoying these session IPA's more and more. If you are looking for a hop soda, you found what you are looking for.

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can from the recent Alchemist truck release. Generous extra from Joe, thanks again, I'm very happy to try this. Poured into a Lawson's snifter today, 4/29/2014 as I was in the mood for some hops, but not a big beer.

A- Dull amber body, two finger white head with excellent retention. Lots of sticky lacing. Looks the part of an IPA, but the colour of the body just isn't particularly vibrant or bright.

S- Smells like Juicy Fruit, actually. Grapefruit, tangerines and honeydew melon (definitely) come together to create a wonderful fruit aroma. There is a slight bit of tangy pineapple pale malt sweetness contributing as well. Very strong and aromatic nose.

F- Grapefruit, pineapple, papaya, honeydew melon dominate the beer throughout, and there is a slight bready pale malt sweetness that somehow holds it together instead of allowing it to become an IBU bomb. The backend brings a pleasant pine bitterness. Wonderful with many distinct flavours coming through.

M- Medium bodied, well carbonated. This is somehow 5.1% ABV which is astounding for the flavour it packs. Bitter mixture of pine and citrus on the finish that lingers. This may very well deserve the IPA moniker, but eff me, I still can't believe this is a 5.1% beer. This is Edward-level amazing.

O- This is an amazingly drinkable IPA with plenty of bitterness to satisfy any hop cravings you might have but without the ABV to mess you up. This is certainly underrated on this site, in my opinion. To be fair, this is less balanced, less flavourful and certainly less complex than Hill Farmstead Edward (though I know Edward is classified as an APA) but either of them would be my go-to hoppy pale ale if I lived in Vermont. Alas, I do not and I continue to be reminded of this fact each time I drink a Vermont pale ale.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had the original on-tap at the Alchemist brewpub back in the golden days. Excited to see how this one stacks up with the new hop addition; I loved the original Holy Cow.

A-Pours a murky, darker orange color. Body looks oily. Very thin head of white foam. Thin strings and ribbons of lacing.

S-Aroma is very unique. I will attribute the extensive hop character to the Huell Melon. It has some hybrid noble/American hoppiness that is very cool. The hops are full frontal with notes that remind me of noble grass, papaya and mango...oh yeah I see why that hop is called Huell Melon; tons of honeydew here as well.

T-Such a distinctive and noticeable hop character. Melon, mango, papaya, citrus and some veggies. Delectably juicy. A cute, creamy maltiness that is a apt support device for the hops.

M-The hops aren't overly bitter but the flavor lingers for minutes on end. Shredded through my can. So drinkable. Relatively light bodied.

O-A great beer to take the name 'How Cow'. This beer hit a kore with me. The hop profile is stupendously individual. It's one of those flavors you tend to remember. Ah, the Alchemist, I love to see you making different beers. Loved it.

Holy Cow from The Alchemist