Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
to view more.
Ratings: 10,303 | Reviews: 2,016

Palate-pleasing. Received as a gift for its difficulty to obtain. Now I know why.

4.65/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, definitely lived up to the hype for me. Bold hoppiness but with a citrus and almost pineapple fresh flavor complexity that was truly delicious.

4.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very well balanced IPA. Drink fresh and enjoy it, if you can find it.

2.72/5  rDev -42.5%

Too bitter for my liking. When the air contacts your tongue after a swig it's impossible to keep a straight face. The flavor then decides to take up an unwanted residence for 30 seconds on your tongue. Super prominent aftertaste.

2.85/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Sorry guys, the smell was good but I just do not like IPAs. I need some other flavor and after taste besides bitter hops. It wasnt smooth at all. ABV isnt noticeable though.

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

One of the most complex flavors I've ever had. I get something different with every taste. High alcohol content goes almost unnoticed. No beer I've ever had is anything like this.

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

So crisp and fresh for an IPA

4.67/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. Lived up to the hype for me.

4.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Definitely lived up to the hype. Mouthfeel wasn't quite as crisp as I like, but just my personal preference. Excellent beer.

4.97/5  rDev +5.1%

Side by side tasting with Pliny the Elder and it wasn't even close, Heady by a mile. The aroma is nothing short of amazing and the taste is so hoppy and complex. Absolutely fantastic beer!

One of the best doubles. Complex. Enjoy every sip

4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

Single best nose ever for me. Worthy of all the Hype. Had it fresh side by side with Zombie Dust - different style but still a top 10 beer for me, and Heady killed it. Just super impressive.

4.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

An amazing double ipa can't get much better than this

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Poured the can into a tulip glass. Fluffy head with a lot of bubbles. Gold and murky.
Smell: Tropical, pineapples and mangoes. Citrus, grapefruit.
Taste: Not as juicy as it smells.
Feel: Good amount of carbonation. The bitterness is at the end and lingers.
Overall: Good but I would put some other DIPAs ahead of Heady.

2.93/5  rDev -38.1%

After all the hype, I expected more....too much? Pretty much like drinking grapefruit juice. I also question the instructions to drink from the can, a good beer should be able to be appreciated from a glass.

4.97/5  rDev +5.1%

I never heard of this beer until someone plopped a fresh cold unopened can down in front of me. My first thought was I love the graphics and the name. But i was a little apprehensive to drinking it from the can. But holy hell were the contents of that can just marvelous. My favorite thing was the aftertaste. Savoring each moment between sips, I found myself sipping just to recharge that taste. Man, this beer was just AMAZING. If you can someway get your hands on it. Drink the living shit out of it.

4.94/5  rDev +4.4%

Vey complex flavors. Goes down smooth for a 2X IPA. Can't have enough when I have it once a year.

3.33/5  rDev -29.6%

Was lucky enough to try fresh Heady. Perhaps its all the talk or maybe it is all the beer that is available now, but I like others much better. This is a great beer just not one I would search out. I am very glad I had the chance to try it and would encourage others to do so as the beauty of beer is everyone has a different palate and even that changes over time.

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great smell. Lots of citrus, some pepper and lots of hops! Very enjoyable!

4.94/5  rDev +4.4%

It's a beautiful beer. Amazing

4.69/5  rDev -0.8%

Is it a very good beer? 100% yes.

Is it the best imperial ipa out now. In the ball park, but cannot say it def is.

There are prob 10 other imp ipas I would say are just as good.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

super crushable yet complex, will see out more in the future. How does such a small state have such incredible breweries I ask?

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

I'm a Vermonter. I love Vermont and the beer we have to offer. I would share this beer with whoever would like a taste of what we have to offer as a small state with some of the best breweries in the country.

4.87/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Wow, simply amazing. It is insane how easy this is to consume for being a DIPA.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

How many hops can you cram into a can yet still make it well balanced and insanely crushable? Pretty much the gold standard of ipas. I've tried it in every kind of glassware imaginable but enjoy heady so much more right out of the can.

to view more.