Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
to view more.
Ratings: 10,353 | Reviews: 2,033

Simply the greatest IPA on the market. Only bummer is that even though I live in West Rutland, VT, I have drive north to find it as well as making sure I hit the store at the right time. All in all, it's worth the drive and the wait. This beer is definitely worth the top of the list rating it enjoys.

4.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an incredible IPA. I am not sure it's worth the hype. There are others that are just as good. Dogfish Head 90 Minute, Wachusetts Larry, Bells Two Hearted, Rogue Dead Guy Ale, ADK Super Dort and Foley Brothers Fair Maiden are all equally good. Hard to tell for certain which is best. They are all good in there own right.

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%

Not really an IPA guy but it was by far the best IPA I have had. Great hoppy taste at beginning with a smoothe finish.

4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

My buddy gave me this beer when I got back form Texas back in November 2014. This is an amazing DIPA. Amazing crisp taste with hints of citrus, orange, and grapefruit. Left me wanting more! I need to visit Vermont and grab me some Heady!

3.97/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not as good as i was expecting. Could use a bit more balance on the back end. Overall a juicy thick great beer.

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Ahhmazing. Used to live in Mass and made a trade with a friend from VT for Pliny the Elder

This is an exceptional beer. Even friends who are not big fans of IPAs respect this beer for its nuance and complexity. This is really an outstanding achievement in beer making and a beer that I will enjoy at any opportunity. I've already done the road trip to norther Vermont a few times now and will do again.

This beer is perfection in a can. From the initial hoppy "kick" to the face. The taste slowly mellows out as the can empties. At the end you feel very very satisfied and slightly buzzed from the 8%.

2 words to describe this one.......none better!

This beer is like no other.

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

Great balanced DIPA! It is certainly better in the can. I will definitely try to find more.

4.87/5  rDev +3%

Great smell of pine and grassy hops. Actually does taste better from the can! Great fresh bitter taste, citrus, exotic fruits, drank it when it was only 2 weeks old, probably the freshest I can get here in the Netherlands.

Probably the greatest beer I've ever had the privilege of drinking

4.86/5  rDev +2.7%

Another personal favorite, can't get enough of this beer

2.71/5  rDev -42.7%

not easy to find in Korea.

4.58/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm 14 oz. into my first Heady Topper.

A wild combination of bold flavor and feel in a very drinkable beer. This is on the crisper/sharper end of the hoppy IPA spectrum that can leave the mouth feeling a bit dry, but it's more balanced or subtle than some of the hop-explosion style beers. Glad I got to try it, and I'll get more given the opportunity, luckily I think I can find IPAs in the same niche and caliber locally at Maine Brewing.

Palate-pleasing. Received as a gift for its difficulty to obtain. Now I know why.

Flawless. I don't buy into hype. I didn't buy the hype on this. Heady might be the perfect beer.

4.65/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, definitely lived up to the hype for me. Bold hoppiness but with a citrus and almost pineapple fresh flavor complexity that was truly delicious.

4.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very well balanced IPA. Drink fresh and enjoy it, if you can find it.

2.72/5  rDev -42.5%

Too bitter for my liking. When the air contacts your tongue after a swig it's impossible to keep a straight face. The flavor then decides to take up an unwanted residence for 30 seconds on your tongue. Super prominent aftertaste.

2.85/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Sorry guys, the smell was good but I just do not like IPAs. I need some other flavor and after taste besides bitter hops. It wasnt smooth at all. ABV isnt noticeable though.

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

One of the most complex flavors I've ever had. I get something different with every taste. High alcohol content goes almost unnoticed. No beer I've ever had is anything like this.

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

So crisp and fresh for an IPA

4.67/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. Lived up to the hype for me.

to view more.