Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Ratings: 10,759 | Reviews: 2,149
4.06/5  rDev -14.2%

Was a good DIPA....don't know if it is worthy of all the hype

4.39/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer. I think the exclusivity feeds the hype a bit. Its hype creates a few more naysayers among the people ive talked to about it. Nonetheless, its at the top of the list for a reason. Great taste, packs a punch, drink it in the can like it says, i do notice a difference. Its got that murky unfiltered look anyway so the glass wont do much for you. I cant tell yet if i like this or Lawsons sip o' sunshine better. But i do know i wish both companies expanded their distribution to other areas than vermont.

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

I could drink this all day long. Superb!

Got one can given to me by a customer at my job in buffalo new york, and it was absolute perfection to my taste buds. I would recommend this masterpiece to anyone. My only disappointment is that the brewery is 7 hours from my house, and it's nearly impossible to obtain even a can around here.

Finally got my hands on a couple cans of it and it didn't dissapoint. Poured the last of my can into a pint glass just to get a look at it. One of the few beers that lives up to the hype! A crushable dipa for sure.

Astounding. Perfect on every level.

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Awesome beer. I was fortunate enough to try this from a friend who brought a couple cans home with him to NJ. It's definitely one of my favorites.

4.54/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a a hazed golden yellow with a white head nice retention/lacing,smell was floral and tropical but not overly so,taste fantastic array of citrus,floral,tropical taste with just a kiss of sweet malts -superb,mouth feel was medium carbonation with very little bitterness, supreme 2ipa here easy to drink with a great hop profile ABV well hidden

4.35/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Heady is my favorite IPA so far, although IPA is not my favorite style. For me, an IPA needs to have something to set it apart, as a lot of hoppy beers taste the same to me. Heady has a really nice pine scent and taste that I have not seen duplicated elsewhere. It really just tastes like Vermont; you can almost imagine that there are pine needles floating in the beer. However, I wouldn't go to the lengths that some people do to get it, especially since there's a VERY limited window where Heady is at its peak freshness.

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

G_d bless the alchemist.
Appears as a golden haze with a foamy white head.
Dank hops on the nose upon opening the can.
Taste of sweet malt and dank hops. No funky yeast. Yeah.
Heavy mouthfeel. Overall, bring it baby.

3.04/5  rDev -35.7%

I do not think this is the best in the world at all, unless you like your DIPA very sweet.
Don't see what the hype is all about. I have drank better IPAs for less money!!!

All the hype is annoying, but unlike most highly hyped things, Heady Topper deserves every bit of the praise. Excellent DIPA, sets the bar high.

4.1/5  rDev -13.3%

OVERRATED!!! Not even in my top 10 IPA's.

4.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very enjoyable. Great hop flavor and aroma.

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%

Almost all 5's across the board. Bright, juicy hop flavor. If I could get my hands on this one all the time it would be in my fridge for sure. Do I think it deserves the #1 spot? Probably not... But it's for sure up there with some of the best of the style I have had (perhaps top 3 or so). Very tasty beer, well made.

Almost untouchable in every facet.
My rating is based off a can 10 mins off the delivery truck.

Four pack from a trade. Amazingly balanced, neck and neck with Keene Idea and Pliny as my fav IPA...

4.87/5  rDev +3%

Great floral taste and smell. Beautiful bitter, hoppy-ness without being overpowering. Extremely smooth.

4.24/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Three week old can and poured into a long stemmed tulip glass.

L: A little muddy/dirty with light orange hue; Doesn't have the appearance a super clean beer, but displays a nice frothy white head.

S: Perhaps this beer's best attribute! Tons of hops, as expected. Mango and tropical fruits up front that are balanced well with a underlying pine/grass hop characteristic. As the beer sits, that foresty characteristic starts to stand out a bit more.

T: My initial impression is well balanced, even with hop bitterness punch at the backend. I would say the malt body is light, but hop flavor is definitely the main focal point...as it should be with a beer like this. As far as the flavor, the backbone is tons of grass and pine. A little funny, since the smell painted a slightly different picture.

F: Another outstanding characteristic. I like how light this beer drinks, even though it's 8% ABV. Medium to light body with the carbonation to match it. Finish is dry, but not to the point of were it deters from the overall experience.

O: Tough, I'm going into this beer expecting my mind blown due to it's high rating. I've been around long enough to know that beers are usually overhyped to some extent, but again that shouldn't take away from the beers overall quality. A couple of friends, who have a much better palate than mine, have described this beer's status in somewhat the same manner. If I were to compare this to another behemoth, like PTE, it definitely stands up. Also, I wouldn't necessarily classify this as an east coast DIPA, as others have described. World Class? Perhaps. In my opinion, one of the better DIPA I've had the pleasure of trying. Cheers!

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good as always. Worth the effort

4.94/5  rDev +4.4%

I couldn't score the look a 5. It's in a can.

4.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A blast of flavor. Great hop forward taste. Lived up to hype

3.93/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Decent beer. I'm on the westcoast and know PtE and HT to hand for hand but after finally trying it'll be trading identical beers. HT has more floral on the nose than PtE's nutty aroma. HT was more Hoppy than PtE IMO but not more harsh on the swallow. Overall I like PtE slightly better

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

As soon as I poured it, the aroma was intense. Hops, some tropical notes, some pine. Nice mouthfeel and intense flavor. Happy to say it lived up to my high expectations.

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

This beer is absolutely delicious, and the smell is unreal. Very difficult to acquire but isn't too expensive if you can find it, and well worth the attempt if you find yourself in the area!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist