Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 1,935 | Hads: 10,908

It is the best beer I have tasted. It has a very smooth inviting aroma, great body, and what I personally like best, a great after taste. It literally lingers in my mouth for a couple hours after I finished the beer. (216 characters)

Got one can given to me by a customer at my job in buffalo new york, and it was absolute perfection to my taste buds. I would recommend this masterpiece to anyone. My only disappointment is that the brewery is 7 hours from my house, and it's nearly impossible to obtain even a can around here. (293 characters)

In all honesty this beer is #1 for a reason, hype alone it's still the most complex beer that i've ever had. In one sip it goes from citrus bomb to dank, back to citrus and then finishes dry with pine like hops. So many flavors and the hop aroma smell should be a scented candle! The only beer to come close, complex wise is "SWISH" by Bissell Brothers! (353 characters)

This beer changed my life. It changed what I thought about beer and what a hoppy beer could be. There are several other great DIPAs that rival it (Second Fiddle, Dbl Sunshine, Pliny, ...) but Heady has a special place in my heart. (230 characters)

I make trips frequently to northern Vermont and I always search for this beautiful creation in a can. I'm very happy about the breweries newest adventure with their beer room facilities opening soon. (199 characters)

This is an exceptional beer. Even friends who are not big fans of IPAs respect this beer for its nuance and complexity. This is really an outstanding achievement in beer making and a beer that I will enjoy at any opportunity. I've already done the road trip to norther Vermont a few times now and will do again. (314 characters)

This beer is perfection in a can. From the initial hoppy "kick" to the face. The taste slowly mellows out as the can empties. At the end you feel very very satisfied and slightly buzzed from the 8%. (198 characters)

I am sorry!!! the Beer is cloudy as hell and better in the can. However, i came from around the world and have been Homebrewing for 8 years; just to drive countless hours and wait in line; only to take a sip of the worlds finest! Yes, it lives to its standards! I e-mailed the company and all the stores to assure myself and acquire some of this brew! I got turned down by both saying to follow the truck and wait in line. I did and popped my first can at Route 7 in Shelburne VT at 945 in the morning to find the LOve of my IPA's!! A very balanced and strong double IPA leaving resigns of pine flavor in my mouth many minutes after drinking. 5 out of 5 for sure and still to this day worth the wait as i did on 30-March-2015 at Route 7 in Shelburne VT. Thank you, I will do this again just to get a case. Chris (811 characters)

This is an exceptional beer. As instructed on the can, I drank it out of the can. It was delicious. For my second one, I opted to drink it out the glass. I would recommend the glass.

This beer deserves its rank as one of the best beers in the world. (250 characters)

I disobeyed and poured into glass. L golden and hazy. S piney and hoppy. T slight citrus and sweet. F smooth and balanced. Overall ... As good as advertised. I love DIPA's and this is DEFINATELY one of the best. I believe Heady Topper is not alone at the top though as, in my opinion, Gandhi Bot and Sip of Sunshine are also in the same class. (346 characters)

Traveled 200+ miles to buy this beer even before tasting it. Once the first sip touched my lips and trickled down my throat i knew what i had just tasted was greatness. The after taste is literally thirst quenching, by far the best IPA ive ever had, and to top it off its a double IPA! yet soo smooth. Anyways, the fruity smell and perfect amount of hoppy taste followed by a smooth after taste is next to none. Highly recommend this beer! (439 characters)

This is my first BA review, but it's definitely not my first beer. I got lucky and went to Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia in search of Pliny the Elder and found out that they were serving Heady Topper. The line for the beer went out the door. It lived up to the hype in a big way. Everything about this beer was phenomenal. The first sip was almost magical. Like the beer was massaging my tongue. Every sip after that got better and better. The only disappointment was when I realized my can was empty. Perfect beer. (522 characters)

Oh, What a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz. Special beer, from a special place. Truly not much more needs to be said. Drink it from the can and drink it in Vermont. (173 characters)

I was given a can by an extremely generous BA on here, this was my white whale and I have now slayed it and it was worth evry ounce of hype. I took the first sip and it was great, maybe not the best beer I've ever had but it was up there. The more it warmed up it got better with every sip until I could literally think of nothing I would change about the beer, so it earns a 5 from me. A steady supply of this would be dangerous, and IIPA's aren't even my favorite style of beer but this is my favorite beer I have tried yet in my short time diving in to craft beer. Side note, I drank about half from a glass and half from the can, and maybe it's just in my head because they tell you to on the can, but I think I liked straight from the can a little better. (764 characters)

I will admit that I consumed this prior to knowing it was rated #1 in the country, and it definitely was the best I've ever had. I caught a nice buzz that sent the endorphins in high gear from head to toe..need to find more of this. (232 characters)

Been wanting to try this for a while, boy did it not disappoint. Had a family friend bring home a case from Vermont. By far the best DIPA I have ever had. (158 characters)

I was honestly hoping that this beer was too hyped, but boy was I wrong!
A: I drank it from the can, but I did pour a little bit for a friend. It was dark orange with a thin, white head.
S: Floral, herbal, orange, peach, mango, very tropical, some pine, hoppy.
T: Similar to nose, however this beer seems to have just about every kind of taste that an IPA can possibly have…pure brilliance! It starts off very dry and then explodes mid sip with citrusy/tropical goodness and then fades into bursting hops.
M: Hops are somewhat prickly to the tongue, extremely balanced with the sweetness, dryness, mild bitterness and overall complexity.
O: A perfect 5!! I have given a few 5's in the past, but this beer is the best!! (720 characters)

Out of all the IPAs I have tasted, which is my favorite style of beer, this is a close second to Maine Beer Lunch. Just to add, honestly, drink it from the can! This beer starts, well sits on the palate well and finishes well; wish it was easier to find, it would be THEE go-to for me. (285 characters)

Smells like a edible bouquet of beer sunflowers that are grown by nude supermodels, potted in pots of water and wads of freshly printed cash , watered with Chuck Norris's sweat and bathed in moonbeams relfected off of a golden unicorn.

In heaven, when it rains, there is a pack of pugs that have sponges attached to their heads, once they soak up the heavenly downpour, they jump in and float down a river of liquid gold that leads to a waterfall of euphoria. They willingly give their lives, and as they go over the waterfall, just before they hit the jagged rocks below, they squeeze their sponges and heaven's rain mixes with liquid gold and magical pug tears and Heady Topper is born. (691 characters)

One of the things that upset me the most about leaving Vermont and moving to Massachusetts... Now I have to drive 3 hours to search it out... But well worth the drive.... (170 characters)

Drank straight from can so I assume it looks as good as it tastes. Very hoppy with full pine/resin hop flavor. Good malt backbone which makes the flavor even more complex. Taste is best as the can warms slightly. Amazing beer (225 characters)

A brilliant, complex, and stunning DIPA on all accounts. Strong scent of pine, earth, floral aromas, and fragrant, fresh hops. The taste slams your palate against a hop wall that gives way to citrus, pine, peach, and genius hop flavor. These multiple flavors surf across the palate to settle into a lovely, magnificent finish. I'd compare the taste to a crashing hop wave that opens the palate with its startling, ingenious complexity.

I recently was in Vermont to try this beer for the first time and ended up with two cases. Was going to sell some but can't fathom letting any go. Easily the best DIPA I've had and likely the best beer I've ever tasted. Believe the hype. This is magic in a can. Once I run out, I doubt I'll be able to return to any other DIPA. The bar has been set. (787 characters)

This is hands down my favorite beer. My buddy often works in Vermont and we are always requesting Heady Topper. It can make a bad day awesome, an awesome day awesomer. It is just a great thing to look forward to. (215 characters)

Still remains my favorite beer out there since the time I've had it four years ago. Absolutely no way to be mad at this beer. If you don't like IPA's, I urge someone to take a step outside their box and have a HT. Drink this beer out of the can, very few places will tap this beer. "Don't be a DB." Try it. (311 characters)

Just joined BA so I rating all the beers I love.

Heady topper... It's a 5

Even though I'm tired of it. I took a break recently for 6 months and my nephews coming to visit so I got him a case since he likes to trade and I had one. It made me remember what a great beer it is.

It's sold at 4 places within 3 miles from me so I just don't buy it anymore... But it's great (372 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last