2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,188 | Reviews: 1,468 | Show All Ratings:
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

The Alchemist Heady Topper

Poured into a tulip from a 16oz can.

A – Pours a very nice dark copper color with some slight haze to it. There is a 0.25 inch white head that recedes down to a thin film. (5.0)

S – Starts off with some slight sweet piney hop notes. There are also some nice citrus notes and tropical fruit notes. There is some nice mango and tangerines in there. There is definitely very grassy and hoppy nose. (5.0)

T & M – Starts off with a nice hoppy and grassy note with some nice tangerines and slight orange. There is some nice biscuit malt notes in there as well with some earthy notes. There are definitely some nice piney notes in there. This brew is quite smooth and drinkable. There are tons of flavors in this DIPA with nice mango and some slight passion fruit as well. Tons of grapefruit notes are present. There is some nice bitterness in there as well. This is definitely a top five DIPA. Nice dry bitter finish. Mouthfeel is nice and light-medium with some refreshing notes. (5.0)(5.0)

O – This brew is delicious. Tons of hops with some slight bread notes but definitely a hop heads dream. Might not be as balanced as other highly rated DIPAS (Abrasive, Pliny, Citra) but that’s ok for this hop head. This is a very flavorful brew with tons of hops and great bitterness. (5.0)

12-17-2011 01:54:18 | More by JoEBoBpr
guezarka

Straight from the can while at Frida's for lunch in Stowe. The tacos were good; the beer was freakin' unbelievable.

Did pour a little into a glass and it had a hazy orange tint with a decent rim of head, but it wasn't more than a couple ounces, so I wasn't checking out the head too much.

Cracked it and smelled a pine forest full of grapefruits. Very intense. Not spicy, but it's aggressive. I had thoughts about getting squirted in the eye by my morning grapefruit as I stuck my nose as deep as the can mouth would allow. I had heard the hype; hype does not smell this good.

And the taste trumped the nose. Gobs of pine and citrus, but the mango stickiness lingered at the finish with an enticing balance of biscuity malts scattered in the middle. No boozy heat, just a smooth coating of the palate that kept me slurping and made me finish the can finish too quickly. The bubbles were small and perfect in quantity. Had to have a second one and take a lingering walk around town afterwards.

The only flaw: they need bigger cans.

12-20-2011 01:48:20 | More by guezarka
rowingbrewer

I have had 3 batches of the canned heady topper, the first was great, the third was great, but the second batch i had canned sometime in mid november was absolutely sublime.

the beer poursed a golden yellow color with orange hues and a 2 finger head that lasted a long time. the smell was huge citrus and piney hops with a subtle malt hint in the background. the flavors coming forth were huge grapefruit citrus and bitter piney hops in the finish with barely a trace of the malts in the nose. there was high carbonation with a dry light mouthfeel that left the mouth almost watering for more. huge bitterness that almost bit the tounge. overall this batch was the best ipa i have ever had, although when averaging out the batches of head i have had i like double sunshine and abner more. wish i had drank more of this batch and extra'd and traded less.

01-04-2012 02:14:38 | More by rowingbrewer
sjverla

16 oz can into Piraat tulip glass

Nose: Tone of pine resin. Prickly, sugary grapefruit with a hint of prune.

Appearance: Hazy amber-copper with perfectly sustained head and great lacing.

Taste: Just a downpour of hops. Very bitter and herbal. Almost medicinal in a tasty, holistic way. A touch of lemon, a very slight hint of strawberry. Lively carbonated feel and a super-long bitter finish.

Overall: Just ridiculous. An inordinate, unprecedented amount of hops. However, it does fall off quickly. These cans are about 10 days old. The first one I had two days ago was slightly more citrusy. Absolutely no complaints though. Totally fantastic. HUGE thanks to my brother Mike for the Christmas gift.

01-29-2012 04:07:08 | More by sjverla
Spfarner

Maryland

WOW... if this review would accept just a WOW and not making me use 250 characters! WOW is all you need to know!

As soon as you crack the can, you would think you died and went to Hop-Heaven! The nose of this is outstanding, with very high potent citrus and all around American hops! Since the can specifically tells you to drink from the can, that's what i did, So cant really give you an actual perspective of the DIPA! But the taste is out of this world! When drinking this you will encounter a hop bliss! Very very hoppy taste, loads of citrus and pine notes! When i scored this beer i wished i could of scored it higher!

My overall experience with Heady Topper, HOP HEAVEN!
To people thinking of trying this beer, don't think, JUST GET SOME!

02-05-2012 18:38:22 | More by Spfarner
Neorebel

I scored 3 four packs of this beer thanks to my parents who had vacationed briefly in VT. Trying this out of a glass first, then out of the can for kicks and giggles... because it says so. Something about releasing the hop aromas.

The appearance is a very cloudy gold color... almost yellowish. A few flecks of very fine sediment are visible. The beer is topped with a puffy white head that is very thick at first, but later settles down to the size of about a finger. It looks just right hanging there as it clings lightly to the glass.

The vast aroma give me the chills as I take it in. My first impression is that of an exotic, fresh fruit stand. Of course pineapple, grapefruit lemon/citrus, but also strawberry and mango - all very sweet. Something about the spice reminds me of potpourri and clean linen. There is an underlying piney resin notes are detectable beneath. When I lean in to the can rather than the glass, the resiny cannabis subtleties are much more 'outspoken.'

Now for a taste! Wow - this isn't going to be easy. Very complex to say the least. From the glass - a very quick 'juicyfruit' start coats the mouth and disappears at which point a dose of strong pine flavor, almost like gin for a second pops in. Finally, a very resinous character presents itself and takes over my palate for the bulk of the experience. There seems to be a doughy malt aspect intermingled with this resinous taste as well. The finish is a giant snap of bitterness.

It's interesting that this is kind of a medium bodied beer, does not seem 'boozy' or instantly 'warming' as it goes down, but I would say that after you take a little break from sipping you 'feel the alcohol' in your gut - a good thing if you ask me.

Overall - Definitely an acquired taste but I like it quite a bit. This is the most interesting and complex DIPA I have ever had. It's not so easy to talk about or assess simply.

Now - I am going to try a second one straight out of the can instead of from the glass. *Drum roll* I like it better from the can! Never would have guessed. With this beer - picture drinking a milkshake out of a big straw vs drinking right from the glass. The can is the straw - you get more of a concentrated blast of taste vs from the glass. Perhaps it is because there is no aroma preview, so to speak. The various aspects of the flavor previously described seem more together, hitting me at once instead of in stages this way. The sweetness seems to stick around longer and the resinous aspect seems less earthy and more spicy, more organic. Delicious orange rind dominates. Changing this to a perfect score. I'm glad I have a decent amount of this - will be sharing with close friends. Get some if you can.

02-16-2012 02:50:47 | More by Neorebel
secinarot

Had this straight from the can as recommended. Was a little strange as I NEVER drink straight from the can/bottle, but I have to say it worked. Such a well balanced beer I could not believe it. Outrageous hop flavor but zero bitter bite. Excellent malt profile. The sweet hop taste lingered well after I had finished the can.

I have had Pliny the Elder fresh from the RR brew pub and Heady Topper from a can is every bit as good. Absolutely one of the best 2-3 beers that I have ever had.

02-22-2012 02:28:45 | More by secinarot
CAPorter

The balance of a unique hoppiness with just enough malt combines with a smooth mouthfeel that seems almost surreal given the style of beer. I usually feel a bit more bite in even the better DIPA's I've had previously.

It deserves the current 100 rating it has, since I can't say I've ever tasted a better version of this style. Read what everybody else has to say while I enjoy this without distraction:)

03-04-2012 01:16:18 | More by CAPorter
rlee1390

Indiana

Have had multiple times since then and updating some things

A-Cloudy yellow orange, one finger head and rather carbonated and some lacing is left behind.

S-Citrus and grapefruit, earthy pine and grass. Very resiny

T-Waves of citrus goodness, very earthy with pine and grass. Ends with nice bitterness. What a beer Once again you taste the hop resins.

M-Medium bodied, good carbonation and the resins are simply wonderful..

O-Wow. Not an over powering hop bomb but a balanced hop force. It is a wonderful beer. I would love to be able to have it every day. I had side by side with PtE. Blew PtE out of the water. The best beer I've ever had.

03-07-2012 16:42:44 | More by rlee1390
marcdalke

Connecticut

Well, I was going to just do a quick "had" review. That was until I popped the can open and took a whiff. Whoa man...this is perfection in a tall boy can!

The color is lighter than I would have guessed. It's a nice butterscotch color with not much of a head to be found. Its a bit hazy. And the nice hop particles floating in the glass let me know that my hop cravings will quickly be satiated.

The smell is pure heaven. If it tastes even close to what it smells like, I'll be in nirvana.

The taste just blew me away. Hands down the best brew I have had in quite some time. It is incredibly well balanced. Just like the can says: it's not super bitter. The hops just dance on your tongue. Citrus notes abound. I crave more with every sip. Damn my brother for only giving me two cans! I am trying to figure out when I can make it to Vermont to get more...this turned me into an addict needing my next fix! I want to eat it. I want to bathe in it. I want to use it as a shampoo. I want it as a cologne. I want to put it into a humidifier and infuse my bedroom with it so I can fall asleep to Heady Topper dancing through my head.

Overall: must try, must try again...must have on hand Always!

03-24-2012 21:05:33 | More by marcdalke
BERNUTBAG

Oh my god!!! they really hit this one out the park, smells like citrus, grapefruit,and pine. just had a zombie dust the other day and this one is just as nice of a tasty beer. one is not enough, makes you want to have more and more again. and this all comes from a can WOW.

04-10-2012 22:26:03 | More by BERNUTBAG
Cuso

Can poured into a 12oz pils glass at the Hulmeville Inn 4/24/2012

A: hazy gold unfiltered you can see the resin floating in the glass.

S: Just fresh citrus grapefruit

T: Not so hoppy where you get that bitter taste. But just a in your face grapefruit citrus lemon. You can not taste the 8%abv

MF: This beer is so smooth if your not careful you can drink it real fast.

Overall WOW!!!! This just might be the perfect IPA style beer. Its better then pliny the younger its better then hopslam and its better then 120. I am impressed by this. And its not filtered so all that beautiful hop resin is just floating around. If you have a chance to try this by all means get it!!!

04-24-2012 18:19:11 | More by Cuso
Stunmai

This is really an amazing beer. I am generally not into double IPA because they usually substitute taste for strength of content. However, I bought a 4 pack of this from Waterbury VT, and I loved it more each time I had it. The hops are incredible, the flavor is ... well try it. Its worth the three bucks that it costs.

05-20-2012 01:13:09 | More by Stunmai
cccarson

My girlfriend's brother brought us a 4 pack straight from the source. I gave it all 5s for a reason.

A: Beautiful yellow-orange sunset. It's unfiltered and various particles are visible. Note: the label recommends consuming the beer straight from the can. I tried one like this and also one that I poured into a tulip glass. Both were magnificent.

S: Incredible aroma of mango, grapefruit and guava (yes, guava). Some orange and lemon thrown in for good measure.

T: Taste follows the nose perfectly, with the mango standing out beautifully. Astonishing flavor. Important hop note: as stated on the can, this isn't supposed to be a hop explosion, and it's not. What it is, is a perfectly balanced beer.

M: carbonation is perfect. Just enough to let the hops dance around the tongue, and not too much to overpower the hops.

O: This is, by far, the best DIPA I've ever had and perhaps the best beer I've had period. PtE, Hopslam, and Dreadnaught are incredible beers but not even in the same class as Heady Topper. HT leaves them in the dust. I've had CBS on more than one occasion, and almost all Cantillon variants. I'm not exaggerating or going overboard when I say this might be the best beer on earth. A remarkable offering. Do yourself a favor and try this brew. It's worth it and then some.

06-05-2012 20:43:01 | More by cccarson
Duhast500

Rhode Island

Poured from the can into Harpoon Limited Edition snifter.

The color is cloudy deep orange with some yellow highlights around the edges with a finger of foamy white head and some slight lacing.

The smell bursts out from the can with a bright piney aroma. Nowhere near the can and before the pour the hops are already present. The aroma is fresh hops all the way as if you had a packet of hops about to be poured into a boiling wort.

The taste is hoppy with some pine flavor sitting on top of a juicy citrus flavor. The layers of hop flavor both big and small seem to meld well here. From orange pith to the piney Douglas fur flavor to the slight bitterness toward the end. Sweetness right where is should be with some bitterness that comes in but has out the dull knives and only eases into the bite.

The feel is smooth and goes down easier then expected from a hop forward beer. It is really drinkable and seems to want to go down without a thought. This is may be the most drinkable hop-flavorful beer I have had. Worth the wait and the travel to have this beer.

06-06-2012 02:08:40 | More by Duhast500
powder245

West Virginia

purchased on ebay, and after arriving i quickly purchased again!

one of the best tasting and smoothest ipa's i have ever tasted... my fridge currently has bells hop slam, pliny the elder and just finished the last of the hoptimum, but this is now the can i reach for!

first can i poured, despite the cans instructions, in to a tulip glass. the head was a nice off white, but nothing too heavy. color was exactly what you want in an ipa, orangish amber. the smell was really fresh and lovely! even my wife said it smelled good! :)
it's all up hill from here... the first taste lets you know your drinking something special. your second drink assures you you weren't delusional, and by the third your already checking if you have more!

buy this beer! buy it by the case if you can! keep this beer in your fridge all year round!

06-14-2012 16:09:05 | More by powder245
brewtechnik

New Hampshire

A: Perfect... clear golden with a thick lasting white head.
S: Wow! smells amazing...like a bag of super fresh hops.
T: A lot like the smell, but better...add a subtle malt character to this hop bomb and you've got a perfect marriage of of both. Superbly balanced!
M: Not too thin or thick...Goldie Locks would be proud!

I really can't say enough about this beer...It's all that and more! Get a can NOW!

06-29-2012 15:00:48 | More by brewtechnik
Fibrillator

No question the best IPA I've had. Can not review appearance, you should only drink from the can, as designed. (But gave it a 5 because I'm sure it's perfect, website makes you enter value here) Desperate to find more, may have to take a trek... Grab this if you can, beats them all.
Thanks to Kevin for the gift, I'll be sure to return the favor!

07-01-2012 16:01:55 | More by Fibrillator
mjw1200

I just opened my first ever Heady Topper. In the words of the great Homer Simpson "Jebus, Buddha, I love you alll." This is different than anything I have had before. Nothing relates to it. I have had Pliny the Elder, Hopslam, and a number of other amazing beers. I am not sure I am saying its the best beer I have ever had, but its in the discussion and its definitely unique. I am drinking it straight from the can as the rim of the can says to do. Its extremely bitter to in the begining but citrus in the end. Do whatever it takes to get your hands on this (outside of taking one of my glorious new friends from my fridge).

07-02-2012 00:08:31 | More by mjw1200
dashmartino

What more can I say about this beer? Drove 7 hrs from PA to the brewery. People were very nice there. Bought 3 cases, only trouble is you have to keep it cold because it is unpasturized I believe.

I had one beer out of the can and one poured out. The poured one is very cloudy like a hefe. Put it up to your nose and it may burn your eyebrows off it's so hoppy. First sip, pungent, piney hop flavor, balanced with the sweet citrus, but also tastes creamy like a hefe, whereas a lot of IPAs taste thinner. Nice thing about this beer is that some IPAs lose their hoppiness the closer you get to the end of your glass. Not this one. As the advertising says, wave after wave of hoppiness till the finish. Very very enjoyable, if you have a free weekend and don't mind road trips, go seek this beer out. Bring some coolers to keep it cold on the ride home!

07-07-2012 14:17:32 | More by dashmartino
atrain0187

Let me tell you about the mythical adventure that this beer bestowed upon me....

After trolling for this beverage, I was luckily blessed with the notification that an coworker (who will remain nameless but will never be forgotten) was traveling north for vacation. I politely asked if he would be traveling through Vermont on his trip and gave the coordinates of the location where this beverage could be obtained...My expectations were low but I remained hopeful.

Today at work I asked if he struck out. To my delight he informed me that not only did he not strikeout, he hit the motherload. He had 40 16 oz cans on ice in the back of his chariot. After work, we met in the parking lot with trunks open to exchange cash for services rendered. I immediately rushed home, called my delinquent brother who had been previously informed about the intricate details of the spoken beer.

Now for the review....I cracked my first beer at 17:36 EST. Initial waft was heavenly and I achieved 1/2 a stock. For those that don't know that is a semi...First sip and holy hopness my 1/2 stock had turned to full blown chub. I called my brother immediately and found he was in route. Sip after sip it got better. I chose to drink from the can as recommended and the swill sucker punched me with a full hop slam to the face. I thought best IPA I ever had....

I waited for my brother to arrive and cleansed my palet. He arrived and I handed him a cold can and cracked my second. First sip and the same thing happened to him (1/2 stock for those keeping score). The reaction continued through his 1st can.

Honestly I can say this is the best beer I have had. I am a big IPA fan, and this blows them all away. Highly recommended but difficult to obtain. Sell your children if needed to obtain a case.

07-10-2012 23:41:45 | More by atrain0187
gonzowestwood

Connecticut

Had on Tap at the Blind Tiger some months back... from notes

A- a cloudy pale straw unfiltered delight

S- juicy, fruity, hops, hops and more hops. Pine, some grapefruit and a little orange peel. Also a touch of malt

T- just simply unbelievable. a hop head's wet dream

M- This is were this beer shines. Its so unbelievably smooth and well balanced

O- This is a perfect beer. Nothing else comes close. Was lucky enough to have side by side with Lawson's 'Double Sunshine', Hill Farmstead 'Galaxy' and 'Society #3' and Heady is better hands down.

07-15-2012 02:37:49 | More by gonzowestwood
TBoneJones

My first review of a beer I choose this one, kindly sent fresh from the northeast. I preface, this offering is being tasted on an afternoon where, sometime following this review i will be trying my first Pliny TE (having arrived simultaneously).. Heady Topper: As a lover of American craft brew for 3 years and having tried, in my mind, a good deal of DIPA's (considering I didn't become a craft beer advocate until relocating to Texas oddly enough), I am more than enthusiastic about this tasting.The hop bouquet is blowing my mind, and in a well-balanced way. Expectations of this beer are met and slightly exceeded (they were phenomenal expectations prior to sampling). Pineapple/ citrusy greatness abounds. With this beer it seems as if I've never appreciated the mouthfeel of this style until now. There is no drawback here. Tasty beyond belief. Balance is impeccable, yet i need to stress how the hops flourish here... is this Simcoe and Citra? Well i dont know, that I wonder though. Anyway out of curiosity I poured a bit less than 1/4 of the can into a Chimay chalice for a visual. I really appreciate an unfiltered IPA made well (prior to this my affinity was for the now-shelved DFH Squall). Im liking the look of murky golden when I know everything else about it is sublime. The lacing with Heady is incredible, and again lacing is something I continue to appreciate but with this beer in a glass it was sticky city (and this from a beerman who spot cleans his glassware well). But yes I have to agree with the brewmastery of Alchemist where the recommendation is to drink from the can. Yes you will surely love it in glassware, but if you love true hop heaven, you will be best to press lips to aluminum.

07-20-2012 22:51:25 | More by TBoneJones
Gilmanbrz

Vermont

I got no bad words about it. But this is theee best beer that I ever drink in my holler life of travelling the world. And I have to say that the alchemist brewery did an exceptional job on this unique beer. For those that can handle the heady topper, maybe you should try the walden. That is a brew made by the alchemist and hill farm brewery together. Very similar to heady topper but much lite. I wish the alchemist made more then 1800 cans of week so that other stores closer to my house would be able to have them.
Thank you.

07-29-2012 21:56:35 | More by Gilmanbrz
patm1986

thank you.

A--the first time i had this beer it was actually on tap at blind tiger several months ago.
i was meeting a friend who works up the street from the tiger, and i had been at some museums all day fucking around.
i had no idea that the tiger did VSK on mondays; that is, a very special keg--had i known, i would've had my ass in there a lot earlier.
i was five or so minutes late to meet my buddy for 6pm, so when i entered he was already there, set up close to the door as it was crammed in the joint.
entering i noticed two things: 1) it was SO PACKED. it's near a happy hour of sorts probably, and everyone is still in here drownin' a glass or five, i thought. and 2) everyone, i mean EVERYONE, was swirling, smelling, even quaffing, what looked like a flame held within a lantern. it was, however, a tulip of some cloudy, intensely bright orange liquid.
my friend, as well, was holding one, and before salutations, he just stuck it in my face, "drink!"
i could not, however, get over the color, which really looked like a flame lantern.
i did the obligatory swirl and sniff. and drank. it altered, startled me. he said, "heady topper!"
NO WAY.
i tell this story, because, since that day, i've had a lot of this beer, yet each of those subsequent experiences were from out of the can.
i have not viewed the appearance of this beer ever since, and due to that amazing experience and the brewers' directions, unless it's tapped, i will not ever again.

S--MANGO. mangoes gone mad; over-, over-ripened lemons and oranges; the earthy rinds of oranges and lemons; grass and grass; the hop madness of chinook, simcoe, centennial. potent.

T--it's like juice. it's so unbelievably refreshing. i'd have this after a run. not too bitter, earthy, piney, biting, aggressive, yet it is all of those things at the same time. it is one of the most pleasant IPAs i've had despite being one of the most hoppy. citrusy, like lemon, grapefruit galore, orange. the mango, tropical flavor profile rocks your shit, too.

M--Smooth. so refreshing. not a hop milkshake, which is the definitive separation in comparison with the west coast DIPAs. they are so thick, they're fatty--i have found this to be true with MAINE BREW CO., LAWSON'S, etc also. this is smooth as silk despite its profile. amazing.

O--and out of the coolest tall boy i've ever seen.

08-02-2012 18:30:20 | More by patm1986