Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 5,993
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

jzmcd, Jul 30, 2013

KarlZ, Nov 12, 2014

DrewSp, Aug 13, 2014

Brewman123, Aug 08, 2013

World class ipa not just for the hopheads but in general. Even if you do not like ipas you have to give this a try. It's like biting into a hoppy pineapple without a hint of its true abv. Simply amazing. Follow directions and do not pour in a glass...

almightyme3, Jun 29, 2013

VTHeady, Jun 11, 2013

Eric_Nadeau, Aug 18, 2014

Saudereth, Apr 07, 2014

dkboston, Jun 06, 2014

Donnymcslick, Sep 20, 2014

Look, I'm not going to add a whole lot to the conversation here, but I've got to write something - I'm tearing up as I type... I've had this 4 times now. 1st at a party in Somerville, and I was half in the bag already. 2nd time it was warm. 3rd time was a tip from a guy at the bar I work at 2 a.m. And I'm having one now. All have been memorable. It is a remarkable experience.

A: I poured it out into an 10oz glass and it shows a hazy yellow gold. 1" of white foam. I did drink the remainder from the can as instructed. 2nd time I've done that.

S: Woody, earthy pine, then comes a wave of baked peaches and apricots, and finally the much anticipated ruby grapefruit.

T: Sweet bread malt, and the grapefruit bitterness. Lingers to orange juice and honey, balancing the hops. Wonderful.

M: Chewy, yet spirited carbonation. Just a kiss of residuals. Alcohol?

O: This beer makes me smile. Tough to describe, but there's this luscious backbone that screams for all that hops. Every time I taste it I can't get over the sweet homebrew note that counters that Imperial IPA hop blast. It's like a dash of salt on your watermelon, or a couple granules of sugar on a cucumber, it just works. I adore Stone's Ruination (had it on tap for years where I bartended), but this is less refined, more casual, less pretentious, yet bolder - drink it from the can or don't. Just be happy knowing it's out there. A+

NedGreene, Sep 03, 2014

skipjack17, Dec 23, 2011

DustinSWB, Sep 29, 2013

This beer is so unique and exceptional that it's hard for me to figure out how it was concocted.

A - RUSTIC......cloudy, unfiltered, dark orange hue, glows like the sun when held up to the light.

S - Explosive dank weed and grapefruit......hops that must have been found in another world....unique in every way....never smelled or tasted anything like Heady.

T - Dank weedy citrus upfront following the smell but the hop explosion is ridiculous. I recall thinking of other easy to find IPAs being explosive in taste and smell and when I had Heady for the first time and returned to the beers I've had before it ruined what I thought was once complex.

M - immediate dankness, carbonation and hop explosion that I can only describe as hoppy pop rock grapefruit earthy soil weedy candy in the mouth that lasts for minutes. If you're a wine drinker think high end $100 bottles napa cabernet lingering explosion. This beer changed what I thought a beer could be.

Danger - my new category that I created on my own. Danger is when you have an 8% beer that at first sip you feel like one pint will be just plenty but as you continue to drink you want to sip more frequently and more frequently and the alcohol is so well hidden by the mesh of flavor and mouthfeel that you continue to drink and go back for more until your night is over. Most 8% beers let you know when enough is enough. Heady does not. That's how you get notoriety apparently;)

O - is it the best hoppy ale on the planet? From my experience some days yes and some days top five. Abner certainly is right there, Lawsons too...harder to get and I recall a side by side on draft where i preferred Abner but there's something about scoring those 4 pack cans and bringing them home. Heady is not for beginners in some cases but if you like hops this one will blow your stack.....I'll end by saying that this is the most dangerously drinkable 8% beer I've ever had.

HopDeezy, Oct 04, 2014

randeezy74, Aug 09, 2014

Appearance: His mama name him 'Clay', I'ma call him 'Clay' - straight from the can as advised by the maker. Who am I to defy him?

Smell: Whoa. Very strong citrus burst as soon as the can is cracked. Pineapple is the dominant aroma. Almost overwhelming.

Taste: Grapefruit, pineapple, obviously incredible hops. It lingers and doesn't let up for a good 20 seconds. Expands in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: Smooth like Miles Davis at his Kind of Blue peak. Toes the line of having a creamy feel but doesn't quite get there. Pretty much perfect.

If Superman was a beer drinker, he would drink Heady.

jimilayne, Sep 21, 2012

Garit, Jul 07, 2014

Viperman1316, May 14, 2014

Mcallaghan04, Aug 22, 2013

EliSpitzner, Mar 07, 2013

WillYellott, Jul 22, 2014

randomdanger, Nov 15, 2011

FINALLY!! Had the elusive Heady Topper!! Now at first, I wanted to come at this beer with an open mind. After all the hype and the talk about this beer, I cracked my first can. BAM! The aroma hits my nose. The floral, citrusy hoppyness enters my face holes. I take the first sip...let the beer move around my mouth. THIS BEER LIVES UP TO THE HYPE!!! Absolutely delicious from beginning to end. After my first few sips I sat there and just smelled it over and over to let that beautiful hoppyness permeate. great finish to the beer, tons of hops and floral tastes along with a sort of citrus/fruitiness. The hardest thing about this beer is keeping it in my fridge. Don't let anyone know you have this beer if you really want to savor it, because people will ask to drink one. And I'm not willing to share right now.

MarkAvery, Dec 26, 2013