Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 1,937 | Hads: 10,921
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had this at Revolution Kitchen, a primarily vegan restaurant in Burlington. I'd heard all the hype about Heady and was, to say the least, cynical. Well, put me down as a believer.

Kind of a hazy gold color. Nice white head, good deal of lace.

Mostly citrus aroma, but also pine and a bit of floral hops. Sweet malt.

Amazing taste. Grapefruit hits first, then the resiney pine, followed by a flowery taste. All this superimposed on a caramel malt background.

Hop-forward, but not aggressively so. Just a fun beer to drink. (527 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Heady is so aromatic. Lots of citrus including Juicy grapefruit, tangerine and dank hops. Very slight hints of hay as it warms.

Taste follows the nose. Heavy grapefruit and hops. Lasting bitterness. This is a hop Bomb. Not a delicately balanced IPA like Julius. I pick up on some lemon zest and orange zest.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Carbonation is perfect.

Overall, awesome beer. Lives up to its hype. Not a delicate ipa. It's supposed to be a hop Bomb and it is just that. Really nice tropical favors and intense hop bitterness make this a beer any hop head would love. (571 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Lucky for me, a co-worker brought me a case back from vacation.

Appearance: I have no idea. I read and followed the directions on the can. So, I drank from the can. In terms of can aesthetic, it is cool.

S: floral and citrus. Very clean.

T: I love the taste. The most even tasting beer I have yet had. From the first opening taste, it doesn't let go. It is bitter but not overwhelming. Each mouthful is crisp, even and really delicious.

M: some doubles leave a resin tar like coating in my mouth. Heady has a full bold flavor but doesn't have that honey like weight which accumulates after each successive sip. Heady drinks easy and smooth.

O: so, my first heady was great, but not my far and away favorite But a day later after my second, I believe that this is fantastic brew. I don't know if this is the greatest beer ever. But I know if it was available to me everyday, I would pick it every time.

Find it. Drink it. Decide for yourself. It is worth it. (969 characters)

4.63/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Poured a little of this out into a snifter just to see color and get some smells. The rest will be drank from the can as demanded.

Pours a hazy, golden straw color. Outer edge is a pale straw, with more golden orange dominating in the center. Lighter colored than I was expecting. Fluffy white head that lingers slightly. Excellent lacing.

Smell is so forward with juicy hops. Lots of citrus: orange and grapefruit dominate. Slight minty smell coming through as well as a good herbal, almost medicinal notes. Great enticing IPA smell.

Taste is gushing with fresh oranges right up front. Amazing hop bitterness. The flavors dance in and out with a huge lingering flavor of citrus and herbs. Orange blossom, lemongrass, other earthy undertones. Slight astringency and alcohol burn, but it somehow only amplifies the hop bitter flavors. Resin begins to dominate on the finish. Man does this beer linger on the palatte. Sticky,piney resin and woody, cedary, chewy hops mellow out as the finish continues to linger.

The mouthfeel is a flash of crisp citrus right up front, but quickly fades into something that I can only compare to a mix between a creamy belgian wit and pulpy orange juice. Probably my least favorite part of the beer so far.

Overall I have to thank a Friend for just gifting me this beer. He knew I was into good beer and has family at The Alchemist. He asked if I had heard of Heady Topper, then asked if I wanted some that they had brought down for Thanksgiving. Aways grateful for some southern hospitality. (1,532 characters)

Reviewed from notes from 3/31/13

This is my last can from my first Heady haul, so I finally am reviewing this! I poured a small amount into a snifter for appearance and aroma purposes, but it drinks better from the can IMO.

A- Pours a hazy orangish yellow/straw color with a medium sized white head of tight, sticky bubbles.

S- The aroma is wonderful, with loads of thick, dank hops assaulting your nose! There's tons of rich nectar and pine resin present, tropical fruits, tangerine, and fresh cut grass. Some malt backbone can also be detected, which is a bit more bready than caramelly.

T- The first, and most interesting thing noticed about the taste and mouthfeel is how juicy it is. It's almost as if they made "hope juice" rather than beer! The flavor mostly follows the nose, with pine and tangerine dominating, though not in an unbalancing way. I do wish there was a bit more tropical fruit in the flavor, but this is only a minor complaint!

M- The mouthfeel is medium to thick, and again juicy, almost pulpy. The oily hop resins coat the mouth and leave a moderately bitter aftertaste.

- Overall this is an outstanding beer, and one of the best representations of the style! Just be sure to drink it within ~2-3 weeks of canning. (1,245 characters)

4.63/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a glowing orange somewhat hazy tint. One of the brightest beers I've ever seen in the glass. Smell is unlimited sweet citrusy hops. So incredibly sweet on the nose. Like hoppy candy. The taste is awesome. Great bursts of citrusy west coast hops but also a good bit of pine. Surprisingly balanced in terms of hop profile. Mouthfeel is pretty standard of a DIPA. Smooth and well carbonated. Overall this is such a great beer. Maybe not the greatest beer of all time but defimtiely something I wish I could keep in my fridge at all times. (541 characters)

4.63/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

If you're into IPAs, this is the beer for you. Drink from the can, as soon as you open the smell hits hard; Intense hops. Taste is just like the smell, punches you in the face with the hops. With the high IBU rating it's not a surprise. Easy to drink, but stay away from too many as you'll get numb from the flavor. (315 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Headed across the lake to Winooski Beverage to grab some of these bad boys. Needed to know if this beer lived up to the reviews. It did!

A - Medium yellow, very light in color for a DIPA. Lot's of carbonation visible, and some fizz stayed for the duration of the sipping. Nice, large head with lot's of residual left behind.

S - Lot's and lot's of quality hops! Such a strong aroma. Very fruity, immense amounts of grapefruit, also some lemon, lime, and even an ever-so-slight hint of pineapple. Some dankness as well, but in the good way we all know and and love. Also hints of pine and MORE hops. DANK with hops!

T - It lives up. I was partly expecting this beer to be incredibly bitter, just for the sake of being able to say "there is a ton of hops in here." Not the case. The hoppy taste is there in abundance, sure, but there's more to it than that. Huge amounts of flavorful hops. Big blasts of grapefruit, and a good amount of lemon. Hints of pineapple and lime, plays off the heavy grapefruit flavor so well. So much hop taste present, that it almost has a "nutty" taste. People have said this beer is so hoppy it's almost juicy. That's 100% true. So much fruitiness going on, (although I know this isn't the case) that I wouldn't be shocked in the least to learn fruit was actually added to this beer during fermentation. An outstanding tasting DIPA. Editing here - I've noticed once the beer is a couple weeks old, the nutty taste is more prevalent. Not a bad thing by any means. I enjoy when a beer ages and different tastes can be noticed.

F - Dangerously drinkable. Does sting a bit, slightly dry (but not as dry as many IPA's, so that's a plus), but the "juicyness of the hops make up for that I think. I liked that it seems to have a bit more carbonation than most IPA's, which helps with the dryness. This stuff is so easy to drink, I could easily picture myself drinking several in a short time, then being more buzzed than I planned!

O - It lives up the reviews. One of the best beers in the world, and my 2nd favorite beer of all time. So much hoppy taste, but not just for the sake of being big and bitter. The hops are full of flavor, they make you want to drink this fast. So tasty, yet so dangerously drinkable. Certainly a world class beer, it deserves all the praise it gets. (2,307 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So I've had Heady Topper before. Figured I'd finally review it. This review is going to be pretty harsh since I drink PtE regularly on tap at the pub.

A: Very cloudy and hazy orange. Nice head that dissipated slowly.

S: Tons of citrus, hops and pine.

T: Taste is mostly what I expected. Huge hop bomb with lots of citrus and pine. Extremely well balanced and no out of place tastes.

M: Very smooth and medium bodied. Right amount of carbonation.

O: I love this beer. It definitely is worth of the top 10. Now is it worthy of number 1? Ehhh that is definitely debatable. (574 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Finally got around to writing the full review of this guy. I'm glad I waited; now I have a full mode of comparison after trying some of, what I consider to be, the best iipas out there (DS, S&S4, Ephraim, and Abner). Beer pours hazy amber into a Duvel tulip. Has a slight red glow.

Heady is certainly aromatic, but it doesn't quite stack up to the others in this regard. For some reason, the nose is a tad muted. Notes of pineapple, mango, honey, and candi sugar. A bit of pine, but mostly citrus. I can almost smell that this is a Vermont ipa. What is it about these damn Vermont beers!? What's the secret!?

Taste is rich and just as delicious as the others. Where it falls sort is on complexity. I get a lot of sweetness from all of the tropical fruit flavors, but it isn't quite dry enough for my taste. I think it could be a tad more balanced with a bit less sweetness or more bitterness (which is such a ridiculous thing to say! This is Heady Topper!) Nonetheless, the flavor is brilliant and so tasty.

Mouthfeel ranks up there with the rest. Creamy, medium-full bodied (especially for an iipa). Extra-drinkable.

Overall, this falls just short of the aforementioned brews for me. However, it does edge out Pliny in my book. I get the hype and I love its [relative] accessibility. It's always a treat to drink this, and I plan to have some in my fridge as long as it's being brewed! (1,392 characters)

4.63/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A can traded to me by a fellow BA. What a nice gesture! A 16 oz can of the top rated beer and they tell you to drink it from the can.

Well...the first thing I did was ignore that rule because I wanted to see it and smell it. IT didn't have much head but is the cloudiest IPA I have ever seen. A very peachy color.

Nose is along the pine side with oils and caramel. Very distinct once again.

Taste: I have had lots of IPAs like everybody else. And I have had all ends of the flavor spectrum. This one falls deeply into the citrus and tropical end in my book. At the end of the drink there is a more west coast hope profile. Very complex and very balanced but yet not with the typical malts. This is really a distinct beer and really enjoyable to drink. Isn't that what matters? Something new and different and not over the edge?

The mouth feel is quite mellow and the alcohol is warming.

I must say this beer is a nice treat and would buy it constantly if it were available around here. Definitely worthy of it's head of the class rating. (1,044 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had this tonight on tap at Prohibition Pig in Waterbury and can at my B&B in Stowe (the owner gets free misprints and gives them to guests on arrival if they're beer geeks)

The locals consider this the Miller Lite of VT but what a flipping awesome ML it is. I had this after 3 HF IPA/PAs and it still stood out as awesome on its own so that speaks to its epicness.

I have to say though the can is definitely the better route. It holds more of the hop profile that HT is known for.

Most already know the flavor specs so just thought Id share my experience and say the locals I spoke with rate this just behind Double Sunshine for the States best Double IPA...if only that wasn't an even more rare "whale." But whatever I'm just thrilled to have now had HT in my life. (770 characters)

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%

Review from multiple pours at VBF.

A: It pours a amber to golden color with some orange hues and very low clarity (hop haze!). There is a good size two finger head that appears to be seriously thick. It hangs around for a minute and slowly fades leaving behind a good amount of sticky lacing.

S: This beer just smells like a tropical/citrus fruit explosion. The hops are smashing my nostrils with heaps of mangos, papayas, grapefruit, and some skunk funk. The malt is buried under the lupulin haze, but I am not complaining.

T: The taste doesn't let down. The hops are way upfront with a load of citrus and tropical fruit. Mid-palate there is a twinge of caramel sweetness from the malt with a hint of dough. That is short lived as the backside culminates in another huge wave of hops with a good dry finish.

M: Medium bodied with a lush, full carbonation.

O: I would say this is the best DIPA I have had to date. I can't wait until the start canning this brew! (966 characters)

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Brought eight cans back from a trip to the cannery in March of 2013.

Pale yellow, slightly cloudy appearance.

Great hoppy aroma - hard to beat. Lots of citrus and pine on the nose.

The flavor is just as good. Nice clean, slightly sweet flavor. Big hop flavor, but not overly bitter and very little aftertaste.

On par with Pliny, but different flavors- sweeter, more citrus in the hop profile. In a side by side tasting, they both stood up well, although Pliny won out on appearance.

Great beer! I'm sad my stockpile is gone.

(note: I also had it on draft ate the cannery and saw no noticeable difference in quality.) (625 characters)

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have really been enjoying this beer. Its easily available to me and I find that I'm picking up a four pack of it at least a couple times a week. Seems to be the beer that everyone wants to trade for as well. Overall, it's become my go-to beer. Just like many others, I have tried this poured in a few different glasses but prefer it out of the can. (350 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Wow they were right about one thing if you pour the can it's full of tons of hop floaties. Color is a hazy amber brown with a 1/2 inch of thick bubbly head.

S - Straight up 5 here and I don't understand how you could give it a rating any lower on the smell. It was like fresh squeezed hop juice with very strong mostly noted grapefruit like hop dankness. Man this stuff smells good!

T - As expected it drinks freaking amazing. Hops are strong almost acidic or piney but the caramel like malts keep it from going overboard. I also love how well it hides the ABV it's almost non existent. Summed up perfect!

M - It has a medium bodied and drinks with the best of em.

Overall I could completely see the hype behind this beer being worth it but not worth trading away too much for it. Thanks again for the can Rick! (820 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden straw colored with an unfiltered haze. 2-finger head and great lacing. Poured on-tap into a 12oz. glass.

S: Big smooth hop aromas: flowers, pine, a hint of raspberry. I could crawl inside this aroma and never leave!

T: Full-bodied and well-rounded. Hop-forward with an herbal, floral-pine flavor. Finishes with a bready bitterness. Clean, crisp, and delicious!

M: Even-keeled and well-balanced. A touch sticky with a dry aftertaste.

D: For a beer of its abv, it's amazingly sessionable. (500 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to Jordan23 for the awesome surprise!

Starting off drinking straight from the can, as per instructions: Awesome fresh grapefruit & floral smell, like I just tored open a bag of hop pellets & took a whiff. A sweetly creamy & even dank, "organic" character develops before long, kind of like a pudding under the citrus hops. This smells fantastic.

Taste follows the smell, with a beautifully fresh hop character that's primarily grapefruit, with a moderate pine bitterness. For a DIPA, this is neither heavy on the bitterness or the malt, just very fresh, brisk, & clean, with the only thing weighing it down the tiniest bit is a little alcohol. Still remarkably light & refreshing for the style. That sweetness comes in a little in the taste, but not super sugary, more like a mild whipped cream. Some tea-like tannin character. Damn.

Medium-bodied, very smooth, with the bitterness lingering & causing a nice counterpoint but nothing overwhelming my palate. A little bit of heat from booze, but again nothing overwhelming. Very pleasant.

It's weird commenting on the appearance so late in the game, but here goes: Poured into a shaker, forms a nice three-finger off-white head over a just-hazy copper-gold. Head is lumpy & rises like a souffle. Even looks awesome, like lots of tiny nucleation.

Wow, this is one hell of a beer! I'd really hit a lull with IPAs lately, & it's great to be reminded of what a really transcendent one can be like - such an awesome experience. I've heard a lot of talk about this giving PtE a run for the money, & I can see why. (1,573 characters)

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%

Huge thanks to Sisuspeed for sending this my way in a recent trade! The bomber was split with a friend and poured into two snifters.

A: The color was more pale than I had anticipated. The beer poured a very murky pale amber and is clearly unfiltered. There was a nice 1 finger fluffy white head that had moderate retention and nice lacing.

S: A very intense and beautiful smell. Citrusy hops dominate, in particular tangerine. Probably the most intense tangerine smell I have encountered in a beer actually. A little bit of biscuty sweetness as well.

T: Truly a celebration of hops. The only way I could possibly knock this beer is to say that there is not quite enough balance, but the taste is amazing! Bitterness comes through from start to finish, which I like, as some DIPAs I've recently had the bitterness too focused on the finish. The middle of the drink has more of the citrus flavors, particularly tangerine and a bit of grapefruit, but not much. The finish has some earthiness to it, but is still mostly the citrus and bitterness. Only a faint malt presence, that I really had to search for.

M: Perfect level of carbonation, and a great aftertaste. The beer also has just the right viscosity.

D: Well, I wish I could get more of this. Unfortunately that's probably not going to happen. I could easily have polished off two bombers of this on my own. This 5.0 is in the hopes that they can it sometime in the future. (1,432 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can with "1 12 23A 2 BB" stamped along the bottom of the can. Not sure what this means, but I'm assuming the 1 if for January and the 12 for 2012?

Pours an extremely hazy orange-yellow color and is topped by two finger worth of white colored foam. It's been several minutes and the head has settled to a thin layer, but there's lacing all over my glass.

Smell is definitely an indication that this is an upper tier DIPA. Orange and grapefruit are the dominant citrus fruits that I am getting. Maybe a bit of pineapple as well. Very nice!

Taste: Citrus fruits and sticky hops flood the taste buds immediately. It's bitter, yet there's enough sweetness to balance it out. Not overly malty mind you, it's more like the sweetness you'd get from an actual orange. The fruit and hop flavors both linger on well after you swallow inviting you to take another sip.

Medium bodied with a sticky-hop-juice mouthfeel. Carbonation in middle of the road.

A world class Ipa, no doubt about it.

Morey's Bottom Line: Well, this is my first HT, and I can honestly say that I wasn't let down at all. I've had Hopslam and Double Trouble within the last week, and this is a notch above both IMO. Seek this out! (1,200 characters)

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%

22oz bottle received in a trade with rowingbrewer. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a cloudy, slightly brownish tinged golden orange. A finger of off-white foam, dense and tight- bubbled sits on top and falls slowly to a few islands of bubbles and a thick collar. Light rings of lacing left around the glass.

S - Big hits of hop aromas in the smell. Huge pine and grapefruit that completely dominate. Thick and sticky aroma...very little malt gets thru to contribute much of anything here. Not especially complex, but very good.

T - Really mirrors the aroma closely. Thick with hop flavors - very citrusy and piney with just a hint of what others call meaty flavors (Summit hops used in here?), but I find a bit spicy and desirable. Might be a hint of malt at the base, but I really don't care...the hops shine brightly...this tastes great.

M - On the light side of medium bodied with a lowish carbonation level. This is so smooth and creamy in feel and just packed with resiny hops. Hop flavor lingers forever after the swallow.

D - This is a great IPA...I am definitely not let down at all by this one. Reminds me a bit of Pliny and Gubna...both of which I really enjoy. It is right up there in the upper echelon of IPA's...hope they bottle this again. (1,264 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of a number of outstanding beers at the Imminent Liquidation tasting. This is a beer I've wanted to try for some time.

Ht pours a peachy amber color with excellent head retention and considerable sticky lacing. The nose on this bad boy is pretty amazing, as I pick up considerable dry citrus, dank earth, light marijuana and light pine. The nose is very, very floral in this one and is dominated by pine aroma. The flavor profile replicates the nose, and I'm impressed by the balance in this beer. While the beer is fairly dry for a DIPA, there's enough sweet malt to keep the impressive bitterness in check. Still, I'm impressed by the light tropical fruit, which quickly gives way to a blast of grapefruit bitterness. In combination, it's quite excellent. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, prickly, bracingly citrus finish. Alcohol is so well integrated into the flavor profile... it could have been anything from 7% to 10% from what I could tell.

A very, very tasty DIPA... probably the best East Coast DIPA I can recall ever tasting (OK, not counting some of the limited release stuff from Hill Farmstead). Delicious stuff. (1,149 characters)

898th Review on BA
Can to Taster (Only for App)
16 oz

2011

Thanks to Kzoobrew for this one.

App- A really good crisp orange with a good amount of clairity. A nice head was formed and left a touch of cling on even a taster glass.

Smell- A great bit of pine, guava and orange in the glass. A little bitter with some hop oils.

Taste- This was a very good DIPA. More of a mallt presence than I thought would present itself. It has a good bit of citrus behind it and was very crisp with a refreshing bite behind it. Still felt a bit awkward drinking such a choice beer out of a can but oh well.

Mouth- A medium bodied DIPA all the way with a paired medium/high carbonation level. Good citrus with a small malt backbone residual flavor. Nice tropical flavors with only a touch of earth.

Drink- Kevin, I can't say enough about this beer. Thank you so much for having an extra for me. I would love to have more of this beer for sure. (932 characters)

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%

Wow! Big thanks to Adamdc for sending this beer to me in a trade. Sometimes a beers hype is really spot on. This is one of those times. The can says it should be drank from a can. Force of habit finds me pouring this into a Imperial Pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is a peach coloration. Major amounts of sediment floating in the beer. Not really going to knock it for clarity as those floaties tell me its going to taste great. The head of the beer is biege. Resolved to a ring of foam. Nice foamy marks line my glass as this beer rapidly disappears.

S- The aroma is a hop explosion. Lots of grapefruit and resinous pine to the nose. As the cool kids are saying the hops are really dank. Caramel wafts in the background adding some malt support.

T- Very hop forward. I am being gobsmacked by grapefruit wraped in pine. The biterness is nicely hedged in by tropical fruit notes of pineapple and mango sweetness. Still manages a bitter bite on the back end.

M- The body of the beer is pretty full nice carbonation levels. No alcohol in the present in mouth. Nicely done.

O- Very well done! Perhaps not a session ale but I could do damage in an evening if this was easily available. (1,191 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

unsure of when it was canned, but it sure smells fresh. part of a trade with gn0sis - thanks! poured into a Deschutes snifter a bit warmer than I needed to (I got home, saw the box, and pulled it straight out instead of giving it any time in the fridge. Couldn't wait!).

pours a lighter straw-yellow than I was expecting with a huge wallop of hops right out of the can. there's a lot of sticky lacing and the beer settles into a cloudy sun-orange. aroma of, you guessed it, hops - candied orange peel-and-pine hops. it smells just a little like the orange-wedge shaped gummy candies from my childhood and fresh spring pine shoots.

the flavor is a bit more pine than citrus, like the new green needles on a fir or spruce (minus the resiny bitterness). it's what a DIPA is supposed to be - a flavorful combination of hops with enough malt to cut the acid and bitterness, allowing you to taste it all the way through. it's complex but straightforward and to the point. possibly one of my favorite DIPA's - up with Pliny and Hopslam, but stands apart due to it's bitterness (in comparison) and complex hop flavors. I'm a major fan, now if only I could get it more often... (1,170 characters)

Heady Topper from The Alchemist