Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 2,032 | Hads: 11,339
4.67/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L-A hazy golden peach color with a full inch of white fluffy head. Lacing clings to the sides in layers as I drink.
S-Citrus is plain as the nose on my face. That would make it very plain for those not familiar.
T-There is the citrus you would expect. There is no bitterness what so ever which I find amazing. It's not complex or groundbreaking (anymore), it's simply incredibly well done.
F- A pretty good level of carb. Certainly not full or silky. What you would expect from an DIPA.
O-I now know why people wait in line for this beer. It isn't anything groundbreaking anymore. It's too old for that. It is simply an exhibition of doing something as close to perfection as possible. The can states "So drinkable it's scary", and I think that's about the perfect summation.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The OG of the DIPA world. Had 1 from the can and 1 from a glass.

Pours a murky, shiny orange color. Smells very citrusy and piney. The bitterness is extraordinary. Has a thickness to it that makes it unique but not strange. Easy drinking, making it hard not to just chug it after a long day. Lives up to the hype for sure, and would highly recommend it

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Damn, finally my excessive beer drinking has paid off and I have been granted the opportunity to at last taste the topper. Served in a can as the label so duly instructs, I did pour a smidge into a snifter for the sole purpose of being able to rate the appearance. And so here it goes...

Appearance.. Seems cloudy enough. I am surprised that the hue is pale gold as opposed to dark like some IPAs. Has the look of a wheat beer almost with a sudsy head, little lacing.

Nose.. This is the cornucopia of IPAs.. Tropical, fruity, floral, bitter. Yes.

Taste.. Follows the nose and more. The right amount of bitterness and heat doing just the trick. All the qualities of a desirable ipa.

Mouthfeel.. Slick and powerful

Overall... Now I know what the hype is about. It's for certain to me now why this brew is so coveted. Not to say I haven't had other excellent IPAs similar to this style. In fact, all things said and done I have had several that could give heady a run for its money. But! An amazing beer. Must get more.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had to drink a quarter from the can... Poured the rest gently into a glass.

A: Hazy yellow. Gorgeous blood orange throughout. Quarter finger head with gentle pour that coats the top of the beer and recedes to look like a map and lingers around the edges of the glass. Decent lacing.

S: Clean crisp citrus. Orange peel all the way.

T: I'm glad when this element is the highlight, and it is with this one. Sweet and juicy. Fresh squeezed OJ. Tangerine. Perfect amount of bitter. Slight candied sugar.

M: Fresh citrus coats the entire mouth. Bitter notes dance upon the tongue and cheeks but are balanced out just in time to not be overly aggressive.

O: Incredibly well balanced IPA... Medley of sweet, citrus and bitter flavors play perfectly off of one another. One I will continue to snag without question when the right opportunity presents itself. Wish I could make this my "regular heady" Disc Golf beer.

4.66/5  rDev 0%

Thanks Hoppypocket for the opportunity to try this bad-boy!

Appearance. Pours a very murky straw-orange (maybe just a little blue-green??)with a massive, frothy off-white head that lasts forever, but doesn't leave much for lace. I know it says to drink from a can but c'mon, let's be civilized here ;-)

Smell. Pine needles and citrus rinds, some good toasty malt, a little floral soap-like smell as well.

Taste. Big bitter floral, grassy hops with a splash of citrus juice. Some great roasty malt is there and there's a bunch of bitter citrus rind and grass in the finish that stays on the tongue.

Mouthfeel. Just below full body with medium-low carbonation. Very nice.

Overall. Had this side by side with my (previously) favourite dipa. I still have a great love for the other one, but this has to be the best tasting dipa I've had to date. Looks kinda' iffy, but a guy gets over that after one taste.

4.66/5  rDev 0%

A: The beer is hazy yellow in color and has some hints of amber hues. It poured with a finger high off white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin film of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass. There is a slight amount of carbonation visible along with some fine particles floating in suspension.
S: There are strong aromas of citrusy hops in the nose along with some hints of pine resin. As the beer warms up, the piney hops become replaced by aromas of mangoes and other tropical fruits. I poured a little from the can into a snifter glass to give due justice to evaluating its appearance and aroma, but the smell is so strong that you can get most of it by simply sniffing the mouth of the can.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is dominated by flavors from the hops—grapefruit really stands out in particular and contributes a moderate amount of bitterness that lingers into the finish. There are also some interesting hints of tropical fruits such as mangoes, which lend to the complexity and become a little stronger as the beer warms up. The hops also taste extremely fresh and seem a somewhat reminiscent of a wet hopped beer.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Despite being an Imperial IPA, this beer is a citrus hop bomb that drinks more like a regular IPA and has no traces of alcohol whatsoever in the taste. If I could find a four pack of this, I would have no problem knocking back each one of the cans in a single sitting.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Drinking from a 16 ounce can, per the can's request. Thanks for this one Cheesemoose. No freshness date. I'm told that this is a "fresh" can. Still not sure why everyone isn't dating their beers. Popped the can, aroma is bursting out of the little hole, pine, grapefruit, packed full of hops, awesome aroma. Taste is resinous and flavorful. Mainly grapefruit but notes of grass and pine. Totally juiced with flavor. Even the burps taste good.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drank a few of these from the can as instructed to by the labeling. I just couldn't resist pouring it into a pint glass for the next round.

Beer pours hard and frothy with a single finger lacing swirling to a butterscotch/apricot color. Absolutely beautiful for an IPA.

The smell of this is a complete knockout a double fisted paisley colored floral scented uppercut to the nose. Just full of fragrant floral excellence gently doused with a hint of a Werthers Original butterscotch candy. Its just dying to go to the darkside and give you an alcohol or resin aftertaste but it walks the tightrope of full fledged flavor power without giving in.

Honey drenched carbonated mouth feel washing down slightly syrupy.

This is borderline perfection. It might not be the best IPA but I've certainly never tasted its equal. If you can get your hands on one, grab it, You wont be disappointed.,

4.66/5  rDev 0%

Heady Topper is by far one of my favorite beers ever sampled. I've had it probably over 20 times, very hard to get, but they always happen to show up at our beer tastings. I'm not a huge fan of the amount of yeast/sediment in the bottom, but if you pour it just right into a pint glass you can avoid most of the sludge. Very hoppy and very flavorful.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious. If I fall into some more I will happily drink it, but probably not differentiated enough from readily available double IPAs to make the hassle worth it.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to JOSHMAN for this one (and three others)!

As best I can tell from the information I have, this was canned on June 3rd, 3 weeks ago.

First review of Heady Topper on a "Drink from the can!" experience:

Poured from a can into my mouth.

A: Silver, black. Picture a guy drinking beer from a glass, but his head is exploding with hops. That's about what this looks like. Clean and shiny. Not really sure how I can even grade this. I'm resigned to just giving it whatever my "overall" is.

S: Sweet, sweet hops. Earthy and citric aromas come strong out of the can immediately upon opening. A little spiciness lingers, almost like the faintest hint of a cologne, but in a good way. Strong citrus aromas of pineapple dominate. I could sniff this beer all day, but I've resigned to drinking it.

T/M: Follows the nose pretty closely. A little more carbonation up-front than through the rest of the sip is delivered... maybe the can, maybe just my perception. Lots of sweet citrus on the body, with a little dank earthiness following. A lingering bitterness follows along with a little more earthy flavor and feel. The bitterness in this emerges almost after all other flavors have begun to die off but doesn't dominate the flavor profile while sipping. Body has nice, sweet malt character that doesn't dominate the beer, but does provide a sweetness to this that is very nice with all of the citrus. Alcohol doesn't show up much at all in the taste. The mouthfeel overall is just about perfect for the style in terms for gravity, but the lingering finish feels just slightly off, like I'm trying to get something out of my mouth rather than keep it there. Still very pleasant. Really drinkable.

O: Really happy with this beer. I will need to try it side by side with Pliny to really sort out the nuances of each, but each is great in its own right. I'm finding myself drinking this dangerously quickly -- I am pretty glad I don't have enough of these to just enjoy at will and open in series, or I could end up very drunk very quickly. I was worried that this beer would be a little too dank for me, but that really hasn't been the case at all. I don't suspect that the beer has "lost" this since canning, so I think perhaps I just had unfounded worries. Great beer.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in trade from Bricenice, Thanks Mike!

A: okay, if you follow the directions " drink straight from the can" how can you rate appearance? So I started drinking from can then poured the second half into a FFF Teku. How anyone can rate appearance a 5 is beyond me unless you thin the can is beautiful. Appearance is a murky golden color with decent head but retention was lacking.

S: amazing, one of the best smelling beers I have ever had, tons of floral notes, cirus, pine, aroma does not dissipate at all.

T: again, outstanding. Very different than any other DIPA I've had. On par with Pliny, Dreadnaught, and Abrasive.

M: very good but not quite as smooth as Dreadnaught or other slightly higher abv beers.

O: definitely worth seeking out if you like DIPA's. Very different from most others as well, the aroma is probably the best I have ever sensed but the taste, mouthfeel, and appearance bring it down for me a bit.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was lucky enough to trade for some of these fine IPAs with a friend and colleague on the east coast (Canada, no less).
While IPAs are certainly not my favorite style of beer (although I am becoming convert) this beer is amazing.
It's got all the great characteristics of the style that I love; oily mouth feel, fresh hoppy nose, creamy finish that fades to a refreshing tartness and drones that just welcomes another cool sip.
Generally, I am not a "hop head" so I really appreciate an IPA that does not blast me with bitterness.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- Pours up a more than a fair amount of head and seems to have pretty good retention. The head is a pure cotton white while the body is a hazy, pale to medium amber with weak grapefruit notes which glows a pale amber with hints of orange when held up to the light. Hazy but I haven't detected any of the infamous floaters. Some lacing is left behind.

Nose- Not the strongest scent that I've encountered from an IPA/DIPA but still fairly warm and inviting. Rings with citrus- grapefruit, orange, and lemon. Mellow to moldy peach. Cherries, some honey. Nice floral and perfume notes. Some banana. Quite complex but very subtle at the same time. Some papaya after swirling.

Taste- Reflective of the nose in both complexity and subtlety. Armpit and funk start off with a mixture of citrus and honey following. Some onion with lots of grapefruit and both orange and lemon peel. Very subdued matchstick which borders on sublime. The hops are incredibly fresh (this is a 3 day old can) and well rounded. The yeast and hops lend an incredible spiciness to the finish. Honey and caramel provide a sweetness that blend well with the bold citrus, tropical fruit, and mild pine and resin of the hop profile. This is very mellow and incredibly smooth for the style. Nectar seems to be the one word which bind together the entire description of this beer. Some vinous characteristics- some white grape. As this opens up, it becomes more delightful and boozy. But the booze is warm and inviting and seems to attach the flavors to your palate (or perhaps this is more the mouthfeel which seems to coat your tongue in film). Peaches, melons, banana, orange, and lemon. So many fruits and so much juiciness with the right amount of pine and resin to balance it all out. Makes me think of a less messy 120. Not sure how this ranks against the Plinys but they're all pretty close. Some funk that evokes moldy cheese and mushrooms. A hint of cinnamon.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly smooth and creamy for an IPA. This is definitely a large part of the appeal of this beer. It's almost buttery, a little bit greasy with somewhat of a dry finish which does cleanse the palate but allows the spice and wood of the finish to linger. Even the middle parts of the profile linger. Good amount of carbonation. There's tons of juice and syrup on the texture- this is pretty heavy for an DIPA. Medium bodied. Somewhat silky as well. The more it opens up, the more you mouth tingles.

Drinkability- This is extremely accessible for an IPA. I had a Boneyard RPM earlier and thought that was approachable but it doesn't even hold a candle to the near sublimity that defines this beer. 3 bucks a can is a steal for this can. I feel pretty good about paying 60 bucks for the 12 cans I was able to get.

Overall- Great beer. It isn't my favorite beer in the world but I understand why it resides at the top of the rankings. If you nitpick the flavor profile, you can judge it to be just like any other world class or outstanding IPA/DIPA. However, this beer needs to be considered as more than the sum of its parts. It is constantly involving in the mouth even after a drink has been taken. It never even approaches boring- there are different notes constantly appearing. Definitely worth a try if you can get some.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Beenitty is a total badass and a quality human being. I received this surprise package of 2 very fresh Heady Topper cans in the mail this morning, and could not wait for them to get cold to drink them. This is super fresh- about 11 days old total. What an amazing cool thing for him to do- Beenitty I will get you back man!

Poured from can into my DFH snifter. Nice fluffy head that recedes very slowly. Dank piney and sweet citrus hops announce themselves when the can pops. Smell on further inspection: resinous, piney hops, and there is a bready sweetness to it too. Taste- wow. heaven. the hop oils hit the back of my throat with a burst of bitterness, but it is followed by a tropical sweet flavor that still sits on my lips. Waves of piney and floral hoppiness all over my mouth. If I were to compare this to something, it might be Surly Abrasive. Just a huge hoppy celebration in a can. Super fresh, it probably isnt as balanced as others say it is, the hops are just so pronounced, they are definitely the focus of this beer.

Overall, this is up there with the best of them. I won't call it my all time best IIPA, but it is close. And so kickass that its in a can....I am going to try to do a trade for a full box of this soon.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a nice hazy orange a with a big creamy white head on top. A fair amount of sticky lace left behind.

Wonderfully aromatic with a boatload of citrusy hop character. Grapefruit and orange stick right out there. A fair bit of sweetness with even a slight vanilla-like note that is certainly unexpected but rather pleasant.

The bright and citrusy hop aromas cary over well into the palate. Deliciously hoppy without the mouth puckering bitterness you often find in DIPAs. Sweeter than your typical IPA/DIPA but not cloying at all.

Mouthfeel comes across with a nice smooth and creamy medium body feel. Overall, Heady Topper is hard to beat. I might just have to make more trips to Vermont from now on.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It may sound blasphemous, but really not much separates a lot of the top American IPAs - Sculpin, Resin, Double Jack, etc. They're extremely good, but somewhat similar. But Heady Topper has that x factor that keeps you wanting more. Not sure if it's the well-rounded mouthfeel or supremely fresh taste. It's just infinitely drinkable.

First you get juicy hops and it's almost a little too bitter. Then after a couple sips the bitterness mellows out a bit, yielding to a wide range of fruity hop flavors -- citrus, grapefruit, mango and apple. There's also a big, green piney/grassy/herbal hop presence. The mouthfeel is big, round, creamy and balanced, but also resinous and sappy at times. Combined with the tangy fruit profile, it's somewhat reminiscent of a sophisticated cider or champagne. Really dry, bitter finish.

It's a thoroughly American IPA and there is a distinct lack of nutty/biscuity/malty characteristics that you might find in more internationally-inspired brews. That's the only negative thing I can think of to say. But it's surely better off as is.

This beer just keeps giving and giving and it's difficult to pin down why you enjoy it so much. You just keep reaching for cans until you realize that it's still an 8% abv brew and you should probably not kill that precious 4-pack by yourself tonight.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

I decided to go for this long awaited treat from The Alchemist for my 200th review.

Poured from 16oz can to imperial Surly pint glass...

Pours a hazy honey gold, gorgeously unfiltered. I like my orange juice with pulp, I like my beer with floaties. A big, rocky off-white head swells to fill the 20oz glass. Spotty, sticky lacing. Great looking beer, I don't really understand why this beer is suppose to be hidden inside of a can.

The nose is stuffed with fresh hop aromas - tangerine, orange peel, fresh floral bits, plenty of evergreen harshness to balance the heavy citrus. Not really any detectable malts here.

On the tongue... hop abrasion like I've never really experienced. Grapefruit, orange peel, massive flavors. Exceedingly hoppy and bitter. The super dry, bitter afterburn keeps me going for more. What a delicious thing this is.

Overall, I can see why people go nuts over this stuff. A unique, aggressive, very satisfying drink.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: tried from the can initially (mandated on the can) - "cold but not ice cold" - but then gave in - I had to see what I'm drinking (we are visual creatures): cloudy medium gold beer kicked up a couple of fingers of off-white head from a near-center pour into a tulip. Left some lace behind.

S: mostly hoppy (as expected): floral, herbal, citric, resinous; sublte pale malt in the background

T: again, hop-forward: lots of bitter citrus (is that a contradiction in terms?) and resiny pine; a little tart; bitter not sweet - some undercurrents of honey'd malt; some medicinal notes

M: crisp, slight tartness, bittering, light-to-medoim weight, moderate carbonation on the tongue

O: a good DIPA, but the best, #1 ranked beer on the site? I don't agree. I've had too many great DIPAs and IPAs to jump onboard here (*ducks the hurled vegetables and garbage*). I'd say its a good buy, a MUST try, but nothing to lose sleep over if its not available in your area.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I have tasted this by glass and from the can...

Orange, slightly hazy body. Appears to be 8 SRM. Thick foamy head with tons of sticky lacing. Carbonation is on the low side.

Smells dank, fruity, peachy, and citrusy. Lots of orange and pine.

Tastes way more piney and dank than the aroma fortells. It's richer/juicier/hoppier than Pliny the Elder with a tad more residual sweetness (1.012-1.014 FG). Hop heaven in a can.

Mouthfeel is somewhat creamy and a perfect medium-body, probably more because of the sheer amount of hops and malt used, and less because of a high FG.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

American double/Imperial IPA
8% ABV

APPEARANCE: drink from the can like I was told right on the top!

AROMA: once I cracked the can I got my nose as close to in it as I could. Lots of hops, dark pine, more earthy and vegetal then the bright citrusy west coast ipa's I've been tasting.

TASTE: the hops for sure hit your mouth like a punch from Mike Tyson. Dank, grassy bitterness in there. Herbal spiciness, lite citrus and floral notes.

MOUTHFEEL: medium to heavy body, oily and slick that coats your mouth with a hop resin. Has a very creamy texture to it.

OVERALL: I do believe this is a great IPA and understand the hype behind it. For my palate personally I still put this right under Pliny the Elder.

RATING: 4.9/5 Zombie Heads!

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Fresh can. I did not follow the instructions on the can. I poured it at fridge temp into an imperial pint glass at.

A: Cloudy, brownish-orange. Minimal white head. You can tell this one us unfiltered.

S: Lots of fruity, floral hops. Wonderful!

T: Immediate punch of hops followed by wonderful fruit notes.

M: Perfect to the style. Medium body and carbonation. Refreshing.

O: Great DIPA. Lives up to the hype. Would love for this to be available at the local store.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Reviewed from notes. Sixteen ounce can shared by Dan - thanks.

A: Pours a slightly hazed yellow with a nice one-inch thick white head which lingers and settles to a thin cap yielding splotchy lace.

N: Juicy grapefruit, tangerine, orange fruits, floral.

T: Resiny, citrusy, mildly sweet malt for a good balance, some faint dankness.

M: Moderate body and medium carbonation. Dry, bitter, citrusy, sticky and resiny finish.

O: Well, after having this a few times I've noticed some variation from can to can probably due to factors such a travel to west coast, temperature, etc. This is definitely a top DIPA, but I'm just not convinced it is the best. The ABV is well hidden and is a creeper, though I'd love to have another and continue the research.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Big Thanks to spwalshesq for the trade. Huge want of mine! And so worthy...
Cheers Shaun!

Notes from 09/27/11
Tried w/ pint as well as straight from the can.

A: Heady Topper is exactly that. Pours a darker gold color with an orangish hue and just a great big 3 finger head of pure white foam. Amazing retention with a cascading lace all down the glass.

S: Huge grapefruit and massive mango attack at immediate pop of the top. Awesome Awesome Awesome aroma. Very fruity with hints of kiwi and lime. Barely pick up some light sugary sweet bits of malt.

T: Fruity tropical blasts of hop goodness. Spikes with bitter melon, grapefruit and mangoes. Nice hop bitterness overall. Resinous and lingering sticky-icky deliciousness. Some caramel malt background but light and sugary pronouncing the hops. Slight alcohol flavs. Really danky stuff. This is true hop juice.

M: Great creamy texture. Nice carbonation. Lighter body and an oily slick mouthcoat with a refreshingly crisp finish.

D: A fantastic exhibition of hops with great balance. Enough caramel sugar base but just superhoppy and very drinkable. Really great stuff.

Glad to have the chance to try and will definitely be seeking out again. Highly recommended. A contender with Abrasive for sure.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

I tried a few ounces in a tulip, and the rest out of the can. I have to say I enjoyed the tulip better as I consumed it as the bouquet was opening. In the end, it was simply a delicious beer.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist