Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 1,933 | Hads: 10,907

In my top 3 all time favorite beers. FIghts for the number 1 spot But I think it might be one of the ebst beers

DOnt be decieved by the can!

IMPOSSIBLE to get outside of northern vermont (Stowe, Burlington, Montpelier)

Case costs $72 for 24 16 oz beers. WOrth every penny

Only on draft in 2 places that i know of. THe cannery in Waterbury, and Prohibition Pig, the onld brewery (381 characters)

Had this (along with other dipa's) at a East VS. West Dipa Head to Head Showdown I hosted on 8/27/13

Round 3: East-Heady West-Pliny

Overall heady won the battle.. matter of fact Heady was the best "BEER" I've ever had period and clearly won the whole thing.. plineys appearance as far as color goes was better but heady had a better head and lacing... smelt a tad... just a schmidging better than pliney (pliney was a bit sweeter which i liked but heady was balnced) and blew pliney away on taste, mouthfeel and overall.. if you have not tried this beer yet than shame on you.... and shame on them for not having this beer readily available as they do with bmc product... this is deserving of the best dipa and #1 overall. (724 characters)

Finally got my hands on a couple cans of it and it didn't dissapoint. Poured the last of my can into a pint glass just to get a look at it. One of the few beers that lives up to the hype! A crushable dipa for sure. (214 characters)

I just tried this beer for the first time, and I have to say I'm impressed. Against my better judgement, I followed the directions on the can and decided to drink it without pouring it into my tulip.

A: Its in a can, so hard to say.

S: Floral aroma initially when you open the can, but the can limits the aroma for the most part. It smells excellent and exactly what you want a double IPA to smell like. The American hops are just trying to escape the can with no luck. I think the aroma would be better served in the proper glassware.

T: taste is excellent. Perfect. The initial taste is hard to describe, i get a little bit of the aluminum taste from the can, but it quickly takes a backseat to the overwhelming taste of hops. Very citrusy, very bitter. The taste is dry with not much sweetness from the malt whatsoever, or it could just be overpowered by the amazing taste of what you expect from a double IPA... HOPS!

M: Excellent, it's exactly the way I want my beers.

O: Overall this definitely deserves to be right where it is as a top 5 beer in the world. You can't compare it to Pliny the Elder, I think they are on different ends of the Double IPA category. I can't say which one is better because its been a couple years since I've had PTE, but this one is very very delicious. I'm going to try my next one in a glass and see if the taste even gets better!

Overall: 100/100. You owe it to yourself to try and get your hands on a 4-pack of these cans! Well worth the drive to Vermont! (1,500 characters)

Went against the recommendation and poured this puppy up. Deep caramel orange enhanced haziness from hop residues. Immediately the smell is a citrus bomb. This beer combines so many great citrus notes. It is as if the fruit is from some hybrid tree that only grows in Vermont. I would say the grapefruit is the star though. Crisp taste with some tangy bites. Very fresh hop notes. The mouth feel is almost as impressive as the taste. This is almost described as creamy to my palate. Overall this is the best IPA I have tasted. (526 characters)

Canned on Dec 13, 2011. Poured in to CBS Snifter.

A - Murky orange colour with one finger of thick, foamy off-white head and some very good lacing.

S - Huge pine and citrus aromas up front with a big bitterness evident. Grapefruit, tangerine and some light peach and lemon zest aromas along with a slightly sweet caramel malt bill in the background.

T - Massive bitterness up front. Grapefruit rind, pine and orange zest flavours come through with a very fresh and juicy hop bitterness. There are some tropical fruit flavours present as well - some mango, peach and pineapple. The malt bill is almost non-existent and provides a touch of sweetness to compliment to the big hop bitterness. The finish is dry and bitter with the hop resin lingering on the tongue. The ABV is extremely well hidden.

M - Light to medium body with a big chew. Light to moderate carbonation. Resiny, oily, tongue coating.

O - A great example of the style. (942 characters)

purchased on ebay, and after arriving i quickly purchased again!

one of the best tasting and smoothest ipa's i have ever tasted... my fridge currently has bells hop slam, pliny the elder and just finished the last of the hoptimum, but this is now the can i reach for!

first can i poured, despite the cans instructions, in to a tulip glass. the head was a nice off white, but nothing too heavy. color was exactly what you want in an ipa, orangish amber. the smell was really fresh and lovely! even my wife said it smelled good! :)
it's all up hill from here... the first taste lets you know your drinking something special. your second drink assures you you weren't delusional, and by the third your already checking if you have more!

buy this beer! buy it by the case if you can! keep this beer in your fridge all year round! (832 characters)

Quite simply, it's the best beer I've ever had. I was privileged to be one of the first to try Heady Topper when it was introduced at the Vermont Brewer's Festival quite a few years back. After sampling about a dozen wonderful microbrews (in 3oz samples mind you, so I was still an objective critic), I stopped by the Alchemist tent & tried this new concoction.

I was immediately hit by a strong but delightful grapefruit flavor, quickly followed by a explosion of hops (the IBU rating is reported to be an insane 140+!). The mouthfeel was amazing & the aftertaste was perfection. My companions and I literally gave up on trying any other beers that night & just used the rest of our sample tickets on Heady Topper.

I'm blessed to live only about 45mins. away from the Alchemist brewery, which is unfortunately the only place you can find Heady Topper (I do respect their decision to not bottle as a quality control measure). I am planning a trip there this weekend & can't wait for a pint!

If you are able to make it to the Alchemist for a Heady Topper, do be warned---the alcohol content is over 10%, according to the brewer I spoke with. (1,143 characters)

A: The beer pours a hazy golden body with a thin white head that quickly fades. It also las some random floaties.

S: Tons of spice and citrus hops with a nice bit of sweet malt.

T: The flavor of this beer is pretty amazing. At first it hits with a sweet fruity hop, but then quickly turns into a bittery spicy flavor. It has to be the most complex tasting DIPA I have ever had in my life.

M: There is a decent amount of crispness on the tip of the tongue and the back of the throat. It goes down rather easy and leaves a dry feeling in my mouth.

O: This is a pretty awesome beer and I am so happy to finally get to try this. I would for sure say that this is one of best DIPAs in the world. (695 characters)

BEST BEER I've ever had
perfect taste
just right stingy warm aftertaste
amazing body
happiest girl alive with this guy in my hand

Seriously I break diets for this beer if you see it snatch that up (200 characters)

Can poured into a 12oz pils glass at the Hulmeville Inn 4/24/2012

A: hazy gold unfiltered you can see the resin floating in the glass.

S: Just fresh citrus grapefruit

T: Not so hoppy where you get that bitter taste. But just a in your face grapefruit citrus lemon. You can not taste the 8%abv

MF: This beer is so smooth if your not careful you can drink it real fast.

Overall WOW!!!! This just might be the perfect IPA style beer. Its better then pliny the younger its better then hopslam and its better then 120. I am impressed by this. And its not filtered so all that beautiful hop resin is just floating around. If you have a chance to try this by all means get it!!! (676 characters)

Theres nothing I can say about this beer that hundreds of people haven't said before. It's that damn good. I've paid $10 a can and I gotta say I'd pay $20. Looking forward to finally making a trip up to Waterbury next year. Pro tip: Makes a great wedding present. Tuck that knowledge away. (289 characters)

Have had multiple times since then and updating some things

A-Cloudy yellow orange, one finger head and rather carbonated and some lacing is left behind.

S-Citrus and grapefruit, earthy pine and grass. Very resiny

T-Waves of citrus goodness, very earthy with pine and grass. Ends with nice bitterness. What a beer Once again you taste the hop resins.

M-Medium bodied, good carbonation and the resins are simply wonderful..

O-Wow. Not an over powering hop bomb but a balanced hop force. It is a wonderful beer. I would love to be able to have it every day. I had side by side with PtE. Blew PtE out of the water. The best beer I've ever had. (645 characters)

WOW... if this review would accept just a WOW and not making me use 250 characters! WOW is all you need to know!

As soon as you crack the can, you would think you died and went to Hop-Heaven! The nose of this is outstanding, with very high potent citrus and all around American hops! Since the can specifically tells you to drink from the can, that's what i did, So cant really give you an actual perspective of the DIPA! But the taste is out of this world! When drinking this you will encounter a hop bliss! Very very hoppy taste, loads of citrus and pine notes! When i scored this beer i wished i could of scored it higher!

My overall experience with Heady Topper, HOP HEAVEN!
To people thinking of trying this beer, don't think, JUST GET SOME! (751 characters)

My first review of a beer I choose this one, kindly sent fresh from the northeast. I preface, this offering is being tasted on an afternoon where, sometime following this review i will be trying my first Pliny TE (having arrived simultaneously).. Heady Topper: As a lover of American craft brew for 3 years and having tried, in my mind, a good deal of DIPA's (considering I didn't become a craft beer advocate until relocating to Texas oddly enough), I am more than enthusiastic about this tasting.The hop bouquet is blowing my mind, and in a well-balanced way. Expectations of this beer are met and slightly exceeded (they were phenomenal expectations prior to sampling). Pineapple/ citrusy greatness abounds. With this beer it seems as if I've never appreciated the mouthfeel of this style until now. There is no drawback here. Tasty beyond belief. Balance is impeccable, yet i need to stress how the hops flourish here... is this Simcoe and Citra? Well i dont know, that I wonder though. Anyway out of curiosity I poured a bit less than 1/4 of the can into a Chimay chalice for a visual. I really appreciate an unfiltered IPA made well (prior to this my affinity was for the now-shelved DFH Squall). Im liking the look of murky golden when I know everything else about it is sublime. The lacing with Heady is incredible, and again lacing is something I continue to appreciate but with this beer in a glass it was sticky city (and this from a beerman who spot cleans his glassware well). But yes I have to agree with the brewmastery of Alchemist where the recommendation is to drink from the can. Yes you will surely love it in glassware, but if you love true hop heaven, you will be best to press lips to aluminum. (1,717 characters)

A buddy of mine brought this beer down from Vermont.. I AM COMPLETELY IN LOVE. The HOPS are fully vibrant and tasty. I have never drank anything as full bodied, as at times I did not believe that a beer so wonderful could be crafted in the USA. However, I am in love with this beer.. I am hoping to have it again one day. (321 characters)

This is a useless review, I'm no critic but I love heady topper. Got a case the last canning day at their current location. No refined palate here, but I appreciate great beer and I consider ht a leader of the pack. I love the can, I prefer drinking out of a can across the board, and I am no stranger to Budweiser or miller lite. To me all these beers have a place, but as far as double IPA's go, this is my favorite so far. (425 characters)

The hype is real. Tried my first heady last weekend. There is not much I can say that has not already been said. So, I will say that you have not tried an IPA until you drink one of these bad boys. I was in heaven from the start with the amazing floral smell. The taste is perfect it's crazy. I thought all the hype would ruin it. But no way...Like I said in the beginning the hype is real. (390 characters)

Poured into an IPA glass. Directly contrary to what the can says, I know, but it would be a shame not to see this beer. Super hazy pale orange color, with tons of bubbles rising up through the liquid, and a super thick off-white head that blankets the glass in lace as it slowly fades.

Aroma is an amazing array of hop flavors - pineapple, grapefruit, evergreen, cat pee, onion grass, etc. etc. etc. It seems like pretty much every descriptor of hop aroma could be attributed to this beer. A tiny bit of a light biscuity flavor makes itself known as well.

Follows the nose - just an amazing array of hop flavors. It really has every hop flavor you could desire in an IPA all rolled up into one, with none of the flavors overpowering any of the others. There is the perfect amount of biscuity malt to keep it from careening over the edge of hoppiness. Finish is just bitter enough, with a little less bitterness than the palate might suggest, and the aftertaste is pleasantly citrusy.

The mouthfeel is shockingly creamy and buttery. Moderately thick with lots of carbonation. Perfect for the flavor profile.

Overall, I feel a little ridiculous to be giving it a perfect 5, but there's really nothing I would change about this beer, and it embodies everything I love about IPAs. It definitely lives up to the hype, although I do have to admit I was disappointed on my first sip because I expected it to be God. And then I took another couple sips and all my disappointment faded away. I should mention that this was pretty fresh - cans purchased on 4/25/14, so I imagine they were brewed pretty soon before that, but unfortunately, there's no date. (1,650 characters)

Easily in my top 5 Imperial IPA's out there- wonderful aroma every time I pop the can piney and fruity in nature. Taste matches the smell- piney undertones and strong citrus overtones- I generally pick up on grapefruit, pineapple, orange and tangerine.Just the right amount of malty goodness makes this heady retardedly drinkable. If you can get your hands on this brew do so without a second guess- no chance you will ever regret it! (434 characters)

Received this can from my good friend DWitt. Good looking out, even though u r a g damn Sander.

Poured 3oz into a taster and drank the rest from the can. Initial taste is awesome, get that nice hit of hops. Aftertaste, smooth as fluck. Wow. Very well balanced iipa. Very impressed, lived up to the hype like PtY.

I need to get my hands on more of this amazing beer...

Oden!

A- (381 characters)

There is a reason this is #1. What an epic DIPA. Worth the trip, the cost, the everything. Still, remember it is just beer. Some people hype it up to be god in a can. Too much hype can be a bad thing. Still, what an amazing brew. Cheers to The Alchemist! (254 characters)

poured 16oz can into Duvel tulip.

A - Golden orange and very hazy with a big 3 finger white head that went to the very top and peaked over my tulip. Great retention and loads of foamy lacing cling to teh glass. Who says this doesn't look perfect!?

S - So you like big juicy hops? Piney and bitter citrus hops are the show of this beer. I get some tropical and light sweetness. The smell is incredible.

T - Yum, yum, yum! Waves and waves of hops coat my palate. Pine hops, bitter citrus hops, and even slight notes of tropical hops. A subtle sweetness peeks in every now and then, but the hops push it back. This is a dream to drink.

M - Full bodied and sticky with awesome carbonation. It is insane how easy this is to drink!

O - It is fantastic and worth seeking out IMO. I'll score it as a perfect, because I enjoy it so much. (835 characters)

I am giving this review for both the can and on tap. I was able to go through Waterbury for a vacation through Vermont.

On a side note if you have a chance to take a trip up through Vermont do it beautiful country fantastic people.

So I picked up a case of Heady, it's cold cant wait to try it, 2 hours later I have to wait while it chills when we arrive at our destination.

Everything about this beer is awesome.

A - 5
S - 5
T - 5
M - 5
O - 5

Well worth the trip.

If you wish a great beer trip check out Waterbury. A lot going on their as well !! (556 characters)

A - Drinking from a can so really can't rate appearance.

S - Phenomenal hop scents explode from the can. Is this for real or infused with something?

T - Simply Amazing. So much flavor explosions like a grand finale fireworks show on the palate. Floral notes, pine, citrus...lots of resin present. Malty balance to control the bitterness to minimal levels of tolerance that even novice craft drinkers can handle and love.

M - Very smooth and buttery.

O - Well worth the hype. Love this beer. Thanks to my pal Kevin for remembering to pick me up some samplers from his Burlington, Vermont business trip! (605 characters)

Heady Topper from The Alchemist