Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 2,076 | Hads: 11,577

Happiness lives up to the hype! Rose early for a rural, winding trek to a small grocer on The Alchemist's delivery route during my first trip to the Green Mountain State. Scored a case (cans only) which makes the trip worth all the effort! Pours a rich, moderately cloudy golden orange, like fresh nectar, with a medium head and tight lacing. Notes of mango and citrus reach out and smack the nose hairs immediately. Taste is powerfully citrus, cream and pine with a semi-sweetish flowery, tropical tenor; hoppiness finishes fast with no lingering bitterness. Careful - it begs to be gulped, but this should be savored. Bring your stopwatch. I have a case though, so perhaps a grandfather clock ;)

poured 16oz can into Duvel tulip.

A - Golden orange and very hazy with a big 3 finger white head that went to the very top and peaked over my tulip. Great retention and loads of foamy lacing cling to teh glass. Who says this doesn't look perfect!?

S - So you like big juicy hops? Piney and bitter citrus hops are the show of this beer. I get some tropical and light sweetness. The smell is incredible.

T - Yum, yum, yum! Waves and waves of hops coat my palate. Pine hops, bitter citrus hops, and even slight notes of tropical hops. A subtle sweetness peeks in every now and then, but the hops push it back. This is a dream to drink.

M - Full bodied and sticky with awesome carbonation. It is insane how easy this is to drink!

O - It is fantastic and worth seeking out IMO. I'll score it as a perfect, because I enjoy it so much.

I am giving this review for both the can and on tap. I was able to go through Waterbury for a vacation through Vermont.

On a side note if you have a chance to take a trip up through Vermont do it beautiful country fantastic people.

So I picked up a case of Heady, it's cold cant wait to try it, 2 hours later I have to wait while it chills when we arrive at our destination.

Everything about this beer is awesome.

A - 5
S - 5
T - 5
M - 5
O - 5

Well worth the trip.

If you wish a great beer trip check out Waterbury. A lot going on their as well !!

A - Drinking from a can so really can't rate appearance.

S - Phenomenal hop scents explode from the can. Is this for real or infused with something?

T - Simply Amazing. So much flavor explosions like a grand finale fireworks show on the palate. Floral notes, pine, citrus...lots of resin present. Malty balance to control the bitterness to minimal levels of tolerance that even novice craft drinkers can handle and love.

M - Very smooth and buttery.

O - Well worth the hype. Love this beer. Thanks to my pal Kevin for remembering to pick me up some samplers from his Burlington, Vermont business trip!

Although the can directs not pour I couldn't do that. After taking a sip or two from the can I poured out and got the full hop aroma which I have to have with an IPA. This is beer is talked up so much I feared I would be let down but even with lofty expectations this beer exceeded them. Best IPA in northeast, Hands down.

A - Extremely murky. You can barely even see light through this beer. A bit of head. Really something unusual here.

S - Hops.

T - Hops. Really, that's about it, but it's incredibly drinkable. This is so good it makes me not want to finish it.

M - Medium bodied and sticky, almost chewy. Average carbonation. Leaves your whole mouth tingling.

This is the best IPA I've ever head. I'm a hop fanatic, but I've had beers that are just hop juice and this isn't one of them. This is very drinkable and not just hoppy for the sake of being hoppy. More please.

Absolute perfection in a can. Strong grapefruit aroma, and taste does not deviate from the scent. Mouthful loaded with grapefruit and sweet hop goodness, with a smooth finish. Beer actually gets better with each passing sip and is extremely drinkable. Straight from the can is the way to go as instructed .

Drank out of the can. This is about as close to DIPA perfection as you can get. I absolutely cannot believe that beer from a can could be this good. Total fresh hop fragrance hits you as you pop the top of the can. The can says "drink from the can" but I need to pour it into a glass to appreciate the hop aroma and flavor to its fullest. really nice unfiltered murky pour with a huge off-white creamy head. The flavor is perfection: huge hop flavor with none of the bitterness. My favorite beer right now.

Heady topper has all that a hop lover would appreciate and more. The unfiltered, strong flavor of the hops overpowers the flavor of the alcohol. This beer recommends that you drink it from the can to allow unfiltered parts at the bottom to remain. The most flavorful and delicious beer of this type that I have had.

There are several things that make me proud to be from Vermont. This is one of them. This is a hoppy beer, but not one that makes you choke. John Kimmich, the brewer, has somehow taken an extremely hoppy beer and made it so palatable that even people who don't typically like IPA's can enjoy it. I miss the Alchemist of old (Wild Child, Holy Cow, Ouroboros, etc) and hope that Kimmich decides to can those in the future. You can't go wrong with the Alchemist.

For my tastes, this beer is the perfect IPA.

The Hops explode in your mouth. There is just enough citrus and alcohol flavor. If you are looking for subtlety, this is not for you.

After all the trouble of getting it, I fully intended to pace my way through the case. Somehow though, I can't usually bring myself to drink something else when there's a cold Heady in the fridge.

Had on tap the day of the 600 bottle release

Pours a nice, murky orange tone with a thick frothy head. Great lacing with a nice sticky look as it slides down the glass.

The smell of this beer is unreal. I can smell it from a few feet away. Mango, citrus, grapefruit, dank hops, maybe a bit of pine. I couldn't help but to keep constantly smelling the beer. The aroma is so inviting and begs you to take a sip. This is the best smelling beer I have encountered to date.

The taste is similar to the smell. Maybe not quite as powerful but it goes hand and hand with the experience. Delicious citrus hops, tropical fruit, bitter hops. Very complex. As soon as I take a sip, I want another. When the beer is gone, I want more. Just one more taste...

Mouthfeel is crisp, sticky, and a bit dry but perfect for this beer.

Drinkability is off the charts for me. I want to keep drinking this until I am no longer able. At 8%, it could get me in trouble.

Such an amazing beer. It has temporarily hurt other beers for me, as all I want is another Heady Topper. Currently my favorite beer. Another trip to The Alchemist is in order.

Heady-Topper is best in Class period - enough said!

Though not an easy treasure to come by, the thrill of the taste is actually better than the thrill of the hunt!

Everyone must try this extraordinary brew at least once in their lifetime!

Add it to your bucket list if it isn't already!

Drank from the can.

Nose is awesome on this beer.

Immediate hop explosion after a tiny bit of sweetness upfront.

Golden strawlike appearance.

Mouthfeel is full with taste buds going crazy.

Finish leaves great hop residue on the tongue begging for more.

Recycle the can and repeat!

Thank you to my friend Matt for bringing this down to nyc. What can I say that hasn't already been said? This is one of the best beers I've ever had and clearly it's one of the best ever made. Mine was 6 days old. Sensational hoppy taste with some fruity notes, strong but drinks very easily. I poured a tiny smidge into a glass just to see the golden/amber beer- but of course drank the rest from the can. Can't wait to drink another

Had on Tap at the Blind Tiger some months back... from notes

A- a cloudy pale straw unfiltered delight

S- juicy, fruity, hops, hops and more hops. Pine, some grapefruit and a little orange peel. Also a touch of malt

T- just simply unbelievable. a hop head's wet dream

M- This is were this beer shines. Its so unbelievably smooth and well balanced

O- This is a perfect beer. Nothing else comes close. Was lucky enough to have side by side with Lawson's 'Double Sunshine', Hill Farmstead 'Galaxy' and 'Society #3' and Heady is better hands down.

Must admit, lives up to the hype. Best canned beer I've had. Poured in a pint glass. Great lacing! Full bodied beer with an upfront intense hoppiness. Just the right balance of pine and citrus. Soft on the palate with a hint of caramel for finish. Liquid GOLD!

Got one can given to me by a customer at my job in buffalo new york, and it was absolute perfection to my taste buds. I would recommend this masterpiece to anyone. My only disappointment is that the brewery is 7 hours from my house, and it's nearly impossible to obtain even a can around here.

On tap in a snifter at the cannery in Vermont.

A: Cloudy golden orange with a small fluffy off white head. Awesome lacing that clings to the side of the glass resembling a spider web by the time you are finished.

S: One of the best smelling things on earth! It might have helped that the tasting room at the cannery was filled with sweet hoppy scents. I verified that the nose was as good as I remembered when I cracked a can later. Lots of herbal pine and resinous hops mixed with fruity tropical citrus.

T: This beer is no joke. I would classify it as the smoothest tasting hop juice you can imagine. Lots of late kettle addition hops. Tons of hop flavor. Crisp with lots of pine, resin, and grapefruit/orange hops up front. Slightly bitter at first that transitions into the best tasting sweet tropical citrus hop flavor that lingers. Slightly sweet malt profile balances the hop bitterness very well.

M: Crisp with a medium-full body. Really smooth with a nice syrupy consistency. Perfectly carbonated. I could drink this every day of my life.

O: Honestly, this beer meets all the hype. There are a lot of rarities out there that are really sought after that do not live up to their hype. This beer absolutely does. Easily the best DIPA out there that I have tried (I haven't had younger).

It's been said time and time again that this beer is either the best that's ever been had or exceptionally overrated. I suppose the only way to rate it is to hearken back to my initial thought when I took my first sip-- "how did they fit all of my favorite flavors in this can?" It really is great. There are many either great beers that measure up, for sure. However, the more popular it becomes the harsher the ratings get. It is what it is, and that's an amazing beer to be enjoyed, not exalted or compared. It's in good company with many other greats that this country is producing. Cheers!

I made it up to Waterbury last weekend and had my first (and 5th) Heady Topper on that visit. I went into the weekend figuring it couldn't be as good as all the hype. I also doubted whether drinking anything out of a can would be one of my best beer drinking experiences. I was blown away by how great this tasted and by how drinkable it was. I had a game plan to try the first one in the can (per the instructions on the can) and then try one in a glass so I could see what I was drinking...I scrapped this plan after tasting how good the first one was in the can. The rest of my tastes were directly from the can. Apparently there are only two places that serve this beer on draft (the brewery and the Prohibition Pig)....the rest of the places in town serve it in a can (when they can get it).

Warning: we went up on a Friday night and it was very hard to find any stores (including the brewery) that had any for sale...only places that had it were bars and the rest of the places were waiting for the next release on Monday. Therefore, plan your trip for mid-week if you want to ensure you take some home.

I'm hoping the expansion of the cannery makes this beer more available....looking forward to the next one.

After several cans, time for a review.

Pours a murky, chunky orange. For those of us who like pulp in our fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, it's perfect.

S: Explodes out of the can with juicy fresh citrus fruit, grapefruit dominant, with pine sap weaving into the citrus rinds. Some peaches there too. Bitter, sweet, fresh, all intermingled.

T: Bright, zesty, fresh, popping citrus and pine. I can't decide who's in charge, but it doesn't matter. Jordan and Pippen. Hetfield and Hammett. Farrar and Tweedy. The sweetness (peaches!) works with the resin which works with the bitterness which works with the pine which works with the fruit. Intense flavors bouncing around, all settling in their proper places on the tongue. A wonderfully choreographed dance on the palate.

M: Sticky, sweet, bitter, fresh, and clean (yes, all of those). Lingers just enough as it sticks to enamel. OK if you want to drink slowly, but I hate drinking this beer slowly.

O: I wouldn't change a thing.

Religious experience. I went to the brewery on a Saturday, opens at 11am, and by that time there were, 40 people behind me, from all over the continent!

S - Like heaven, floral perfume of hops and mild citrus and sweet sweet good times to come
M - Carbonation is perfect, does not take away, but adds to the flavor
T - Absolutely glorious, bitter, yet sweet and citrus, pine, fruity, crisp and fresh...this needs a poem to describe it with any real value...

I drank one right after picking them up from the brewery and then others a week later. Haven't noticed a big change, perhaps very slightly less juicy, if that makes any sense.

Take care not to get carried away, after one, you are good, nice buzz for at least one hour...attempt any more and you are waiting for a pounding, or in my case, a four hour nap!

If you are having a bad day, open a can of Heady and all your problems instantly disappear, seriously!

Jesus would turn wine into this if he only knew!

I just came back from a 3 day mini vacation from Vermont, I talked my wife into going to see this "beautiful state" we dragged our 16 year old boy with us, after 1 day in Vermont it was pretty obvious why we were there in the summer.... dad's lust for the "Holy Grail " The Alchemist brewery and heady topper.. We stayed at Green mountain inn ( very nice ) and did enjoy the mountain views at smugglers notch, anyway Heady topper was everything I hoped it would be. I was at the hotel's pub when I got my long awaited first can, my wife and son were looking at me like I was nuts, I cracked open the brew and low and behold it was liquid gold. Sorry for the not very scientific review, but it's that good!!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist