Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 1,943 | Hads: 10,940
4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Lightly chilled 16 oz. can. Picked up last Wendesday outside Burlington, VT. Poured a couple oz. into a shaker to get a look at it, the rest stayed in the can as per the brewer's printed plea.

Look- Hazy straw, a ~2 oz pour gives me three fingers of foamy off-white head that falls slowly, very nice lacing.

Smell- Dank, resinous, herbal with a buried citric quality. Whoof. Pungent. Mild sweetness, rosemary comes to mind. In your face, but not astringent or abrasive. Excellent.

Taste- Nothing too flashy, but ready to wow you nonetheless. Fresh, pungent hops explode on the taste buds. Bitterness is low, much lower than anticipated- just gobs and gobs of hop flavor. Herbal, nondescript tropical fruit, fresh pine, ginger, light sweetness that lingers. Light white toast backbone with a touch of honey. Lingering fresh, light feel.

Mouthfeel- Medium-full body, juicy, soft but present carbonation. Goes down easy... too easy? Cool, clean finish, light dryness. Did I mention clean? This stuff begs to be drunk. I could chug this- and I'm pretty sure that's a bad thing.

Overall- Very, very nice. Easy to see how they'd limit it to 12 cans/person even with a year-round release. Not the most flavor-blasted or bold DIPA on the market, but it's... quality. Don't know how else to put it- these guys aren't messing around, it's one of the freshest and most well put-together beers I've ever had the pleasure to drink. Unique mellow-ish flavor balance- perhaps the most "balanced" DIPA I've had, who knew that was a thing? Drool-worthy. (1,542 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429, thanks Mike. This IPA has gotten so much buzz in the past year, it quickly became my biggest beer ambition to get some, after having some of the bottle last night, it remains one of my biggest wants. I have to make it up to the alchemist the next time this is on tap.

Beer is yellow to amber with some haziness to it. Head is soft, white, and thin made up of a very small bubbles and some medium ones that stick to the glass leaving a little lacing. Carbonation is moderate to low, it looks good, looks like a hazy IPA.

The aroma is beautiful, absolutely wonderful. No alcohol or heat, minimal malt sweetness, complex mixture of tropical fruits like pineapple and mango, with citrus layers of lime and orange. It smells wonderful.

Beer is light in body and quite carbonated in the mouth. Interesting, probably due to the carbonation, the first thing I notice in this beer is the hop profile. A floral and fruity explosion of hop flavors, again tropical fruits and some citrus that gives way in the late palate to some moderate bitterness. I think they could have gotten away with more bitterness but overall it is a truly amazing IPA. Hard to top. (1,178 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank it straight out of the can!

You definitely get hit with an intense Hop aroma once you open the can!

Perfect balance of bitterness and hops

Definitely one of my favorite beers!

Can was about 2 weeks old, no hops had dropped off yet!

Can't wait to drink it again (271 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Gifted to me from eyebrews, one outstanding beer lover and guy.

Poured out of the can, even though it says "drink from the can" on the top of the label. Pours a hazy antique gold with a tinge of rust. The bone white head quickly diminished into my pristinely clean stemmed chalice to a mere 1/16". Barely enough to completely blanket the surface. No visible uprising carbonation. Looks very rich and theres lots of fine suspended particles just begging to be quaffed. Fine unbroken rings of delicate lace all the way down. But first...

Probably the most erotically citrus infused hoppy splendor I've ever whiffed. Intoxicating layers of sweet, luscious dripping hopsation to ever grace my nostrils. Damn, I wish I didn't fill my glass so full as I'de like to bury my schnoz in it. (okay, I'll admit it, I just took a big gulp to make for headroom to further my smell test). A few swirls evoke a familiar tamarind-like scent I also detected in Pliny the Elder when I first tried it (fresh) a few years ago. And I like it as much right now as I did then. Mounds, heaps and booming crests of hop goodness for sure.

The taste is just as expressive as the smell. Tropical fruit epic hop collision. Bitter, sweet, lightly sugary, peach skin basking of the gods. You can't take away my Heady-Topper! Get away! Get away! Is there enough to bathe in it? Surely there must be. *WAIT* *WAIT* Sorry about that, I was transported into some crazy dream for a spell. I hope that made sense.

Mouthfeel is silky with the softest ultra fine carbonation I've felt in a Dbl. IPA. It sits so still, but it moves like a school of barracuda, swift and undetected. Magically drinkable. Slightly chalky and tenderly bitter finish.

Overall I am so very grateful for this unexpected can of Dbl. IPA royalty. I ws waiting for the 7th anniv. of New Beer Sunday to try it, and I'm glad it lived up to the hype. I feel like this ale gives me spinach-to-Popeye strength. I think I'm slipping back into a dream. I'll stop here before I do. (2,011 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Hazy yellow/orange. 2-3 fingers of fluffy white head.

S - Tons of Pine (even from the can), malt, a bit sweet.

T - Tons of bitter/piney hops at first. Some citrus. Malt and a bit of sweetness in the finish. No alcohol to speak of.

M - Smooth, nice clean carbonation.

An amazing DIPA. My favorite for sure. (314 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally able to try this, thank you lucas1801. Pours a hazy golden orange color. Smells is heavy citrus, orange and tangerine. Taste is very citrusy kinda like the citrus notes in Jai Alai, not overly hoppy. Overall this beer is worth seeking out and unlike any other IPA I have had. (283 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Just here to say that this thing is definitely worth the hype it always recieved and I am thrilled that they took the leap to start packaging it (cans...awesome!) and thus making it available to everyone.

Pours a dark orange color with a solid white head, good retention...not sure how I ended up with so many floaties in this thing; doesn't bother me though.

The aroma; killer. Tons of tropical fruit passion fruit, mango, definitely some citrus in there as well.

Upfront, the taste is the same; tropical all day with undertones of lemon grass, candied orange, and more tropical fruitiness!

Finishes with a clean piney bitterness and a solid caramel back to round it out

Overall; I absolutely love this beer, will be seeking more of it out and can't wait until they start distributing in states that I visit ofter. This is definitely everything that it was said to be, if not more and is the East Coast's answer to Pliny/Sculpin! (935 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

it doesn't take alot of words to describe this beer because it's near perfect.

Traded for this, advertised as 1 week old, by the time i got it i'm assuming closer to 1 month old… however i'd find it hard to be any better fresh than it was a few weeks old.

the smell is very attractive.

The first sip blew me away with the perfect blend of the tropical citrus and hops built into a body that is a bit more full than your average dipa ... few sips in you get more of the hops. After taste sticks with you for a while.

You easily forget that this is an 8% beer, and it'd be nice if they could bump it up a notch more but this is still a creeper. This is so drinkable it's dangerous.

Thank you to the dude in PA that shipped me this amazing stuff. Cheers (759 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this in a can (well, a couple of cans) in Burlington, VT. Stores all around were completely sold out but there were a few pubs on Church Street that still had them in stock.

Anyway, I ordered one with a glass not realizing that the can COMMANDS you to drink straight from it. I tried it both ways, and it is one great beer. Hell, you could drink this off the floor with a straw and come to the same conclusion.

Golden in color, and hazy (as is my memory after a few). The taste is amazingly well balanced between the sweetness and bitterness. It is a mighty brew, full of complex flavors that I can't begin to describe accurately. Needless to say it is relentlessly drinkable, but will put you right to sleep if you are not careful. Goodness gracious, it truly lived up to the hype. (789 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Super hoppy, super good. Part of the fun is the adventure up to VT and how hard it is to get your paws on it - but gotta love that this is always soo worth it. (159 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

Here's one I never thought I'd be drinking. 22oz thanks to Drazzamatazz. I owe you big time. Poured into oversized tulip.

No idea what to expect of this beer- I can't say my expectations aren't a bit high, I've heard this called a Pliny-killer and better than Pliny the Younger. Since Citra and PtY are my two highest-rated and favorite DIPAs, it's time to put this one to the test.

A- Hazy orangey brown with a big-bubbled off-white head. 2cm settling down to a finger or so. Moderately heavy lacing.

S- Off the charts fruity. I smelled it from the second I uncapped the beer. As I get closer, a bit more pine resin/nugget stank is there. Floral notes and heavy tropical fruit. Great nose on this one.

T- Taste is a lot more pine-heavy. Oodles of alpha acids. More new growth pine than resiny/octane. Mango comes through as well as a little bit of grapefruit and pineapple.

M- Very good body, malt bill is stronger than the WC counterparts, although this one isn't terribly malty. Not balanced but I don't think great IPAs/DIPAs need to be. Perfect carbonation.

D- Very high. This is a damn tasty beer and is -no question- up there with the big boys from the west coast. Of course, drinking it a week after bottling has got to be a factor... and I'm glad I did just that! Does it kill Pliny? No. Is it better than Younger? No, not in my book, but hey, that's damn hard to do. Does it exceed my lofty expectations? It's up there, man. Good stuff. (1,457 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served from can (duh) into a belgian glass.

Appearance is murky apricot orange with big and bountiful light cream colored head. Hazy as can be for an IPA. Massive lacing, more so than any other Double IPA I can remember.

Aroma is huge orange, pineapple, pink grapefruit, pine, parsley, and star fruit. Smells very west coast with really no malts showing up.

Taste blows up with straight hop character. Big bitterness followed by a dry herbal finish. Tons of orange peel throughout with piney highlights. Little to no dank character. Almost all citrus and pine. It goes where many fail to go though, to that point of huge bitterness that actually has complexity and balance that keeps you coming back for more. Grapefruit for days in this.

Mouthfeel is heavier side of light or maybe lighter side of medium? Definitely crisp and gives the impression of being lower in abv.

Overall, this is classic. Full of fresh hop character and a masterpiece among many brewed in the same style. Doesn't break ground in any new way but just shows what something masterfully brewed tastes like. Deserves to be in the same sentence as that which contains other world class double IPA's, but to me falls short to the likes of Kern Rivers Citra, Lawson's Double Sunshine, and the stellar Alpine Bad Boy. (1,289 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

16oz can thanks to youbrewidrink.

3/4 of the can into a Duvel tulip. 1/4 from the can. I actually liked that there was a significant change in the beer's profile glass vs can. Both treatments were very nice.

I can't believe it's been over two years since the last time I got to drink Heady. This can was a long time coming. Pours a brilliant golden orange with a mad amount of hop floaties (the only part of the beer I wasn't thrilled with). Aroma is out of this world. My favorite kind of red grapefruit juice and tropical fruit candy. Flavor matches the nose in a pretty straight forward but completely complementing way. It's a whole mouth filling fruit forward hop flavor that I really dug. The slightly viscosity of the liquid was very nice in the mouth and carried the flavor well. Overall I'm just thrilled. Good show. (829 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured about 3oz into a snifter for appearance and smell, taste, feel, and overall are from the can

Pours a very cloudy bright golden orange with a finger of foam, no transparency. Very mild carbonation, good lacing and retention. Pretty murky but not bad looking

Smell actually better out of the can. Very strong pine and grapefruit hops with undertones of floral orange and lemon. A very mild bready and semi sweet malt in the back with a touch of alcohol

Taste is with the nose- strong pine and grapefruit with a bouquet of floral citrus on the bottom of the hop profile. The malt is very sublet with a hint of caramel and just a little bit of sweetness. Again a splash of alcohol on the finish

Feel is a medium body with a dry finish. Pretty bitter, alcohol concealed well, high drinkability

Overall a really good beer. The number one all time? I disagree, definitely on the top tier though. That said I'm really looking forward to trading for some more in the future (978 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Golden honey brown colored body with a bubbly, rocky and creamy looking head. A nice retention ring is left behind, along with sticky lace on the walls. Unfiltered floaties are unmistakable in the body, as mentioned there might be should you pour this out. Really, they're just ugly and kill the looks of the beer. I can't help but think this is part of the reason they recommend drinking from the can (other than the hop aroma retention).

S: Piney and earthy hop notes rocket from the glass. Hop resin and oils, orange and lemon bitter peels are next. Towards the end is a crisp bready element and caramel & pale malts. Touches of bitterness dance around the entire nose.

T: Bitter hop resin and oils wrestle the palate with a gentle nature. Pine and earthy hop notes again come through. Mid-palate are sweet orange and pink grapefruit oils, a generic citrus and rich sweet caramel malts. Finishes sticky and bitter.

M: Bubbly and creamy, perhaps a bit thin for a medium-bodied beer, though. Sticky bitter pine and sap on the palate in the linger.

This is easily in the top five Imperial IPAs I've ever had to date. It's extremely balanced, flavorful and never lets up on the delicious hop abuse. (1,204 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No date of freshness on the can, approximately it was canned two month ago.
Pours yellow-orange and translucent, white sticky head, that retains well.
Smell is unreal. Powerful bouquet of tropical citrus and pine, a lot of grassy hop. Very difficult aroma.
The taste is wonderful citrus and flowery hop, hop bitterness manifested with the first sip. I would add a little sweetness.
Pleasant mouthfeel. Medium body, moderate carbonation, bitterness lingers till the finish, really drinkable.
Overall, this is a great beer, but I’m not sure that is best DIPA in the world. (574 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Can't get much better than an unfiltered, filthy looking IPA.

S: Hops, pine, slight citrus fruit and more hops. Distinctly different from a west coast IPA.

T: Everything you want from a VT IPA, nothing more nothing less. Paved the way for the rest of VTs finest.

F: Smooth, frothy hops all up in your mouth. Nice thickness to it.

O: Why I even bothered writing a review... no idea. You already know what to expect. (425 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +1.5%

On cask at the alchemist! 12oz. pour in a smaller tapered pint glass.

Super creamy thick frothy shaving cream head sits atop a hazy apricot body. Sticky lace clings like crazy. Smell is cut wet grass and fresh hop leaf. Taste is pure delicious citrus hop infused goodness. Bitterness climbs in from behind. Slight malt backbone with a little roasty alcohol. Oily and resinous hop mouthfeel, yet crisp. Citrusy and grassy the whole way through.

Lived up to every expectation. Excessively fresh & delicious. (507 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A few sips in a tulip, majority from the can. Color is slightly opaque gold. It really is very smooth for a double IPA. Nice hoppiness without just being punch-you-in-the-face bitter. Mouthfeel is really nice; creamy foam, not too carbonated.

I can't pick up some of the more subtle notes others have highlighted, but perhaps it's because I don't drink quite enough IPAs to be sensitive to them. (402 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Acquired via trade at DLD. Shared witha buddy.

A - Looks as promising as all the folk lore. Perfect golden hue, right amount of carbonation and lacing around the sides of the glass.

S - Big floral, citrusy, pine notes. Was expecting more concentrated hop aromas as this is coming from a can. When tasted from a can did not make as much difference as the multiple warnings of drink from the can would elude to. 90% for aroma. Better DIPA aromas out there for sure.

T - Nothing wrong with the taste from beginning to finish. No lingering lupilin tangy taste as other can IPA's have, great malt body and neither the hops or malt outweigh the other. Was hoping for more hop presence though.

M - Mouthfeel, carbonation, coating the tongue all perfect. Well executed and this was possibly the best part of the beer. (Which is why it is not the #1 brew in the world)

O - Awesome not worth the hype or what people trade for it. On that note, although its not the best, nothing is wrong with it just built it up too much in my head. Hope to try again in the future to try and reverse my original opinion. (1,100 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Purchased during almost monthly trips to Vermont. Drink out of can and out of tulip and occasionally from tap.

Appearance - golden-orange hue.

S - citrusy, pine notes. Hop aromas galore. One of my favorite smells in the world.

T - world class taste from beginning to end.

M - nice feel, good level of carbonation

Overall - Definitely one of my favorite beers in the world and very accessible for me. I tend to think some of the Hill Farmstead brews are slightly better, but I stock-up on Heady 4-6 times a year. I feel lucky to get to imbibe Alchemist brews frequently! (574 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Mysterious. No, I’m not trying to be cheesy. We drank it straight from the can, as suggested. Could see a little bit of golden liquid on the rim of the can as I drank it.
(Andrew did later pour one into a pint glass to solve the mystery. It is a very cloudy, deep golden yellow. There. Mystery solved, but this beer is obviously not about how pretty it looks.)

Smell: From the little punch top opening, upon popping, fragrant floral and slight citrus notes filled my immediate plane of smell-o-vision. It was very strong and helped make sense in why The Alchemist doesn’t want you to pour from the can to help contain those beautiful esters for the flavor you’re about to consume.

Taste: Upon the first sip, my very first reaction was that this beer is not intentionally wrecking my taste buds like a Bell’s Hopslam. This is what I thought I was getting into and was slightly disappointed until the hops slowly creeped in and engulfed my entire sense of taste. Heady Topper is every bit of hoppy as Hopslam, but nowhere near as harsh making this extremely drinkable and enjoyable to the novice IPA drinker. As the nose suggests, there are tons of floral notes, and as the more a drink it, there are a lot of citrus notes, but they are not bright. The citrus comes from more of the oil from an orange rind to add slight sweetness and mellow out the big floral notes. As it warms up, I started noticing some honey sweetness, so you have that to look forward to as well.

Mouthfeel: This is the best part! It’s so smooth for how intensely hopped it is! It’s creamy, but it is not to the point that it’s dictating how fast you can enjoyably drink this beer. It’s so enjoyable for a hoppy, relatively higher ABV (8.0%) beer that I was quoted saying, “I could drink this on a hot, summer day after mowing the lawn.”

Overall: Overall, I’d say this might be my favorite IPA, in general. For how balanced it is, I could always enjoy one. This is not to say that if I had to choose, there would be times that I would much rather have a more harshly bitter beer as a Bell’s Hopslam or a Founder’s Double Trouble. It really comes down to how something can be so hoppy and so drinkable at the same time. Just remember, drink it from the can. It’s worth it.

I’ll give Heady Topper a 4.8 on the ol’ trusty 5.0 scale.
Cheers! (2,357 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Does HT really need another review saying how equally good and unattainable it is? Well I thought so, so here it is.

If you are a craft beer fan with any level of affinity for hops, you will love this beer. I say that because there is so much more to it than the "DIPA" classification suggests.

Is good cold, is good a little warmer, is good as an IPA, is good as citrus-ey hop blended ale, oh and it's incredibly drinkable for a high ABV... If you could actually get your hands on enough of them to have a HT session!

If you've never had it, or fear you never will, take solace in the fact that HT gets less unique every year of this craft beer era. Sure, I've still never had this perfect combination of flavors and craftsmanship, but you've tasted everything in HT before. Ithaca, Lagunitas, Maine Beer, all of them seem to owe a tip of the glass to HT with some of their IPA's. (884 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I went to the beer shop in Waterbury and tried this beer. There is a reason this beer is rated as the best beer in America. It is the best beer I have ever had. It had a great taste. I wish everyone could try this beer. I wanted to buy a case but the were sold out. (265 characters)

16 oz. aluminum can with two pours into a snifter glass

A- This beer pours a cloudy, hazy golden color slightly tinged with amber, but still very much light for an IPA- an Imperial IPA at that. It looks more like a Hefeweizen. A nice, slightly uneven inch and a half head that lasted about two minutes before settling down to an eighth of an inch. Nice fluffy lace coatings slide down the snifter with every movement

S- Remarkably the aromas of this bold flavored ale don't stand out as much as the taste. It smells like a well balanced IPA. Some floral hop aromas, grapefruit, The scent although not complex does smell very fresh and very good

T- I can see why this has such a following. It is like drinking liquid hops of the most delicious and highest quality. These hops are very tasty and pungent in a good way. This is a bitter DIPA. But it's also a sweet DIPA. Other than the POW! of the hops, the beer is actually very well balanced.

M- The mouthfeel is just spot on. It is smooth and creamy, yet refreshing and drinkable with just the right amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, I can see why there is so much hype with this beer although I think a huge part of it is that it's only distributed in just a couple of towns in the state of Vermont. I will say it's one of the best DIPAs I have tasted, although fresh from the tap Enjoy By is right up there too. My buddy got me a four pack of this for my birthday and I am very grateful. It's a great beer to drink on a summer night and the 16 oz. serving just enough. A little more than your typical 12 oz. home serving, but much easier to finish than a 22 oz. bomber. I don't know about the hype, but I would say the ratings are pretty accurate. This is a legendary brew to say the least! (1,748 characters)

Heady Topper from The Alchemist