2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,197 | Reviews: 1,469 | Show All Ratings:
MontclairBobbyB

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

Oh wow... so much going on with this special brew... It's such a joy to enjoy... Heaven in a can. The color is a cloudy, deep orange amber; fruity and lively with just the right balance of hoppiness, fruitiness and boldness. And it comes from a CAN!!!

I can't recall in recent memory a beer that makes me this happy (except maybe Pliny the Elder)...

04-10-2012 04:03:08 | More by MontclairBobbyB
Firkin-Bunghole

4.78/5  rDev +1.1%

-reviwed from notes-

Appearance-Drank this straight from the can as instructed.
Smell-This is what all DIPA should smell like. I closed my eyes when smelling this just to intensify the experience like my sight was interfering with my sense of smell. The scents I picked up on-super-premium citra hops (rinds of citrus fruits), pine, grass.
Taste-This is where it got interesting. I swear the tastes differentiated at least 3x when I drank from the can. Not in a bad way, but the onslaught to my buds were hard to keep up with. At some times it was the perfect citrus bomb. Next sip would be mostly grass. The sip right after would be light citrus mixed with some pine.
Mouthfeel-Full mouthfeel-spot on carbonation. For a DIPA this one begs for you to continue drinking and I happily oblige.
Overall-This was probably the single best IPA I will have. When I started to drink this I thought to myself how can anyone drive a couple hundred miles for this beer-now I've pulled a 180. How can I not drive to VT for this when I'm already in upstate NY. After I drank this beer I refused to rate/take notes in the beers I had the same week-for a very simple reason. There is no way another beer can line up. This beer is perfection in a can.

04-10-2012 00:27:06 | More by Firkin-Bunghole
JDRomano2

Vermont

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

Well, Heady Topper only being sold locally is both a blessing and a curse... This beer lives up to all the hype. Wave after wave of insanely fresh hops, with absolutely explosive aftertastes. I stick to The Alchemist's recommendation, and drink it straight from the can, so it's tough to comment on appearance, but that's hardly necessary for this big, fresh double IPA. In spite of being a slightly lower ABV than many double IPAs, it packs a bit of a punch, probably because the alcohol is entirely covered up by the hops. Make sure you drink it fresh, and don't fear drinking it out of the can!

04-09-2012 02:11:17 | More by JDRomano2
mobius387

4.49/5  rDev -5.1%

BIG thanks to kalvarez for this

poured into a snifter

appearance: an opaque golden color, very unique, nice clean looking 1" white head, chunks of yeast that pour out at the end. very unique looking for an ipa

aroma: delicious nose of grapefruit, pine, honey. not super strong, but crisp

palate: medium bodied, medium carbonation, heavy alcohol feel to it, and yet this beer feels pretty smooth and very crisp

taste: big citrus flavors, a true DIPA in taste, a bit flowery too, huge kick

overall: definitely one of the best DIPAs ive had in my life, but it didnt quite live up to my expectations. dont get me wrong, this beer is great, and if i lived in NE USA id be drinking it all the time. but theres just as good (some better like zombie dust, odell) ipas/dipas that i can get my hands on much easier.

all in all, loved this beer, wish it was easier to get for me.

04-07-2012 21:11:34 | More by mobius387
BeerAdvocate

4.15/5  rDev -12.3%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #58 (November 2011):

LOOK: Unknown as we drank from the can as demanded by the can.

SMELL: Macerated oranges, minty, herbal, estery alcohol, excessively hoppy

TASTE: Raw, sweet, super bitter, semi-dry, kernel of malt sweetness, hop oil, orangey, mouthful of grass

Hop insanity in a can! Lots of talk about this brewski finally being canned. The greatness forgives the sheer rawness it brings to the palate. In our opinion, this is what sets it apart from other highly hopped ales in the US. Keep it tamed in the can, as pouring it out will only show the extreme rustic measures to make this beer.

04-06-2012 13:46:58 | More by BeerAdvocate
NoLeafClover44

Delaware

4.91/5  rDev +3.8%

Review #100! Big thanks to Fijii13 for this one. 16 oz. can poured into pint. Decided to ignore the request on the can for reviewing purposes. Had the second straight from the can.

A - Pours a very hazy pale caramel/orange color with very little off white head. More floaters than I have ever seen in any other beer. They are suspended throughout the body and I am guessing this is why they want you to keep it in the can. There is so much floating uniform sediment, that it looks impressive and intended, so I won't really dock it too many points for that.

S - Powerful tangerine and grapefruit citrus with some subtle malts. The hops are piney and spicy, but they pale in comparison to the citrus and tropical aromas emanating from the glass.

T - Fantastic tropical fruit flavor coupled with some tart citrus on the front. Once it reaches the back of the tongue, there are some piney hops that linger, but they do not detract form the forward citrus flavors. I am blown away by the flavor. The aftertaste is of nice, dry hops. Balanced and impressive. I could drink several of these in one sitting.

M - Medium body with some delicate, tingly carbonation. Extremely smooth with a dry finish. Every sip leaves me wanting more. No alcohol present here.

O - Despite the lofty expectations I had for this beer, I was not disappointed. It is not overwhelmingly hoppy for the style, but the hop flavors work very well with the dominating citrus and tropical fruits. The finish and aftertaste are a remarkable blend of bitter and sweet. I was able to keep myself to only consuming two tonight, but I easily could have drank all four. A beer deserving of its world class rating that I will certainly seek out in future trades. It is not the hoppiest or biggest, but it is damn near the best. I highly recommend it.

04-06-2012 02:51:45 | More by NoLeafClover44
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

Appearance: Pours out a hazy, light yellow-orange body strewn with fine particles and topped with a barely off-white head.

Smell: Heavy, heady resins, staunch florals, crushed aspirin tablets, and a squirt of white grapefruit juice over a thin cracker-toned malt base.

Taste: Lightly bready, lightly crackery malts with just a little bit of honeyish sweetness. Strongly floral, heavily resinous rounded with a fruity kick of grapefruit. Medium-high bitterness. Dry, citrusy, pithy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Oily mouthfeel.

Overall: Not bad. Not bad at all.

04-05-2012 15:49:05 | More by ChainGangGuy
rawfish

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

First shot at trying this. Poured into a plain snifter to judge appearance and aroma. Four pack got in a trade with youbrewidrink.

Pours hazy straw yellow with lumps of sediment all over the place. Nice head of white reaches 2 fingers high, decent retention with little flecks of lace.

Nice perfume aroma with a nice mixture of resin, herbaceous grasses and earthy tones. Nice malt sweetness a touch of caramel and doughy. A bit tropical and exotic interesting aroma.

Caramel malt, very doughy and chewy to balance the resinous and grassy hop profile. No citrus yet it's got tropical notes. Really herbaceous with wonderful balance and a steady bitterness.

Finishes dry and a sticky coating that leaves lasting bitterness. Perfect carbonation and the body is chewy and raw.

Very evident why you need to drink this one out of the can, it has perfect balance and comes out of the gates swinging with a unique east coast bold hop profile. Raw and resinous yet well crafted. A beer that is blue collar, steady and bold. Glad for the opportunity.

04-05-2012 04:41:35 | More by rawfish
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev -6.3%

16oz can - thanks to zuma for this

Appearance - Hazy amber colour with a large size frothy off white coloured head. It's hard to make out the amount of carbonation and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, grapefruit, lemons, tangerines

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and the taste is made up of caramel and malts mixed with hops. It also has a wack of citrus flavours - lemons, grapefruits, and tangerines. Juice and zest. It ends with a sweet and bitter hop aftertaste.

Overall - It reminded me of a pliny meets rad racer taste wise. It's got a lot of lemony citrus flavour that almost makes it seem more like an IPA than a DIPA. I consider this the pliny of the east - worth seeking out.

04-05-2012 02:31:31 | More by spinrsx
jera1350

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Huge, huge thanks to Jesse (arniepnminne) for hooking me up with this!

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Hazy golden color with lots of sediment mixed in. The head is a dirty white, very dense and produces staying power and lacing.

Very fruity and slightly effervescent nose. A mixed bag of tropical fruits with citrus standing out the most. Mouth watering scents!

Lovely hop burst up front with grassy and leafy notes to go with the marijuana hop presence. Lovely malt backbone to cut through some of the bitterness. Grapefruit lingers at the end and into the aftertaste.

Very smooth and soft all around. A medium body with a warm alcohol presence at the end.

Great beer, so glad I finally got to try it. This definitely goes towards the top of the list for the style.

04-05-2012 00:48:44 | More by jera1350
greenengineer

4.95/5  rDev +4.7%

16 oz can into my Pretty Things pint glass. Kudos to Erik for bringing this back from VT. I am eager to try it.
A - cloudy orange color, foamy head, not too vigorous. Actually the head fades quickly.
S - smell of hops as soon as the can opens. it fills the room. Sweet, very citrusy. Getting a little yeast fragrance too
T - wow. Lots of hops but there is more to it than that. Almost a citrus bite. Nice resiny bitterness, but I can still taste the grains.
M - thick and chewy, but the bitterness keeps it from being cloying. fizz comes back in your mouth
O - as the can says "so drinkable it is scary". Pretty delicious. Extra credit for local and canned. My favorite beer style, done right. How can I not give it 5's. Going to have to have a blind taste test with Resin and G'Knight.

04-03-2012 23:30:37 | More by greenengineer
LiquidBread219

Indiana

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

A- Deep golden in color, very hazy nice foamy white head that sticks around for awhile a lot of lacing nice looking beer.

S - Lots of hops. Lots of pines, some floral and citrus notes as well. The slightest scent of sweet malt.

T - Tastes great and amazingly balanced. Sweet malty caramel flavor followed by very piney and again slightly floral and citrus hops. Nice refreshing bitter finish but not overpowering at all. I must say it has lived up to the hype.

M - Medium-bodied, nice carbonation.

O - Overall, I've been trying to get this beer for a long time I am a "Hophead" and I'm glad I got to try this one. It is a wonderful DIPA and has lived up to the hype I will try to get this one again.

03-31-2012 23:23:17 | More by LiquidBread219
FoundersPounder

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Out of the can, from multiple fresh deliveries in VT. Thee hops, citrus, pine, and malt come together perfectly. Not the biggest fan of drinking from cans, but it seems thats the brewers preference. Not much booze until it warms up, which makes that 8% catch up with you fast, but the cans also warns you off this. Listen. The can makes it feel like a session beer but it's far for a session beer. Def one of my favorites, but meant to be shared, paired, and part of tastings

03-31-2012 17:32:30 | More by FoundersPounder
BUNZILLA

Indiana

4.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Big ups to woodchopper for hooking me up

16oz can poured into a pint glass

Appearance : very cloudy golden color. A nice one finger white head forms after a less than aggressive pour that slowly dissipates to sticky lacing

Smell : lots of wonderful evergreen and pine tree aromas. Lots of pineapple and orange citrus aroms also abound

Taste : flavor is spot on one the most easy beer to fall in love with. Tons of orange citrus flavors and pineapple dominant. Finishes with mild hop bitterness. Strong malt backbone adds a pleasant sweetness

Mouthfeel : medium bodied brew with pleasant carbonation

Overall : I really love to drink this beer quickly I just can't seem to sip this one. I suggest drinking this one in a big gulps. Every BA owes it to themselves to seek this beer out. Make sure to get your self a 4pak because one is not enough

03-30-2012 01:38:23 | More by BUNZILLA
brystmar

4.2/5  rDev -11.2%

On draft at Blind Tiger.

Beautiful pour, plenty of head with solid retention. Aroma holds fresh hops, pine, malt, citrus. Great balance of malts and hops in the flavor profile. Many Vermont IPAs fall into the West Coast style while Heady sits somewhere between East and West.

My biggest criticism of Heady Topper is its relatively thin body compared to other DIPAs. It's much improved on draft (vs the cans I've had), yet still lacking. But this is just splitting hairs -- HT is easily one of the best DIPAs brewed today.

03-29-2012 04:27:30 | More by brystmar
Kendo

4.58/5  rDev -3.2%

First - thanks to MRMOJORISIN for bringing cans to our annual ABB-festival.

A: Yes, I ignored the warnings on the can, and, after a couple sips, poured it into a mug. The result? A cloudy, hazy dark orange with a ton of stuff in suspension (given the smell, I'm guessing hop remnants of some sort). On top is a finger of white head.

S: The nose is intense. Dank. Perfumey. Loads of citrus (grapefruit & lemon zest) and pine (resin and needles). This is a hop lover's nose.

T: Citrus and tropical fruity hop goodness, with resiny, bitter pine and a hint of apricot. After the palate gets adjusted to that big hop onslaught, I sense a bit of sweeter malt underneath, but it's having trouble asserting itself here. Lingering lemony bitterness in the aftertaste, and a little bit of heat from the 8% ABV is felt in the belly. Man, I'll be tasting this lingering palate-coating hops assault for awhile.

M: The body is medium in heft with only a modest level of carbonation. Finishes dry - and bitter. Real bitter. Brings to mind my first tastes of Victory Hop Wallop or Stone Ruination many, many years ago.

O: This is great stuff for a hophead. I'm not sure you'd want to drink more than one or two of these, however, but if you like a fresh-tasting, hop-juiced beer, this should be right up your alley.

D: Certainly a very, very good IPA. Actually reminded me a lot of Sculpin, but more bitter. Would definitely like to have this one again.

03-29-2012 01:30:11 | More by Kendo
shuntstout

New Mexico

4.93/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Poured a small amount in a glass to see this. Bright golden color with a small white head for as much as I poured. Drank the rest out of the can.

S: Smells like a bag of fresh hop pellets. Concentrated hop aroma mixed with pineapple, orange and wet pine. A superb example of what a DIPA should smell like.

M: I noticed the hops coating my mouth with with a thick layer of greatness which stuck around for what seemed like forever. The flavor of hops lingered in my mouth until I drank something else.

T: By far one of the most delicious DIPA's I have ever had. Starts out with a beautiful upfront pine flavor followed by an almost marshmallow like sweetness. As the can states, not much bitterness just layers and layers of hops. Citrus, passion fruit, and pine blast the palate with flavor. No alcohol present, I could enjoy these all day.

O: Incredible "drinkability" I think someone should give up their slogan. Haha. Really glad I got my hands on one of these, thanks to ixodus for throwing in this amazing extra. It was so good im going to have to get more at some point.

03-28-2012 18:45:59 | More by shuntstout
jacewg

District of Columbia

4.54/5  rDev -4%

Here we go. Taking a shot at reviewing this beast. Had many times before, first review of it.

Appearance: I generally drink from the can, but like most, I had to pour at least a little in the glass for comparison purposes. It is cloudy (unfiltered), but pours a beautiful pale orange color with great head and lacing.

Smell: Seriously dank. Tropical fruit. Big citrus. Some pine. Big peach notes. Serious depth and complexity. Pale, sweet balancing malt. Rivaling Surly Abrasive for best smelling beer ever.

Taste: Just wonderful. Maybe the slightest hair behind the nose, but very close. Big citrus and pine. Some Columbus-like vegetal notes. Big dankness again. Quite bitter, but the hop flavor dominates. Enough malt to balance, but this is a hop bomb.

Mouthfeel: Very long, dry finish. The hop flavor lingers on your palate forever. Carbonation is on point. Lifts the beer off the palate easily. Has to be the most drinkable 8% beer on the planet. All I can think about when I finish a can is opening another one.

Lives up to the hype and then some. Between Abner and Heady, I think I'll start searching for jobs in Vermont.

03-27-2012 20:04:50 | More by jacewg
barczar

Kentucky

4.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to a very kind individual who brought this back from vacation.

Pours a hazy golden peach color with a solid 2 finger head that dissipates slowly into a thick bubbly film on the surface. Leaves thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is heavily grapefruit based, with dank resin and slightly sweet caramel malt giving a rich, decadent balance. By far one of the hoppiest beers I've smelled. Pine and mint surface as it warms, adding to the complexity.

The flavor is delicious! Tropical fruit, mangoes, pineapple, and a grapefruit tang assault the mouth, with a bready malt backbone providing a transition into pine, resin, and a slightly bitter finish. Apricot and tangerine add more depth of flavor to this fruit salad of a brew.

Body is moderate, with a fairly high level of carbonation and a warming alcohol finish.

Overall, the best dipa I've had to date. It's hop nectar to the extreme. I don't want the experience to end!

03-27-2012 03:13:16 | More by barczar
Thickfreakness

3.98/5  rDev -15.9%

A- Chunks and chunks of floating shit in this brew. Looks like a lava lamp, or the Long Island sound during late summer. Nice foamy head at first, fades away and leaves a nice ring of lacing. I have never seen a beer this disgusting to look at. Looks like a bunch of lugees floating in my beer.

S- Fresh harvested honey, some hints of citrus, mostly orange and tangerine. Smells of wet hay, pineapple, mango and some funkiness. I really like this! It's not IIPA so to speak, but it's really fantastic! Lots of sweet maltiness.

T- Green tea, honey, mulch, and a ton of pineapple, mango, and citrus. Might be old, or maybe it's supposed to be this way.. not sure. Reminds me of Hopslam... lots of honey sweetness, with some citrus character. No real definition to this brew. Sweet and citrusy. It wishes it was DFH 120 without the balls to be such!

M- Caramel, rotted citrus peel and wet hay. By far the thickest IIPA I've ever experienced.

O- Horrible to look at, AMAZING to sit and smell... tastes sweet and has a nice honey citrus flavor. Almost too sweet for an IIPA. Not enough citrusy punch for my liking. Very unusual and glad I tried it. Big thanks to Ubufan2112 for hooking me up! I'd certainly love to try this one again. This woulda scored much higher if it weren't for the appearance.

03-26-2012 22:36:19 | More by Thickfreakness
uustal

Rhode Island

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a hazy, light tangerine with a two-finger bright white head. Good lacing and head retention. Aroma, wow. Fresh pineapple, mango, grapefruit and orange and just a touch of pine that is outdone by the huge, fresh fruity notes. This beer is so refreshingly hoppy. Big tropical fruit notes, pineapple is giant. Juciy, fresh grapefruit and orange notes. Nice pine notes add some bitterness too. Hugely hoppy, but with the perfect amount of bitterness. Get different hop notes with each sip and they keep coming. Awesome drinkability, the hop blend goes down like a Gatorade. Overall, the best DIPA I've had to date. Really tough to make this big of a beer this easy to drink while maintaining absolutely huge flavor.

03-25-2012 21:34:13 | More by uustal
marcdalke

Connecticut

Well, I was going to just do a quick "had" review. That was until I popped the can open and took a whiff. Whoa man...this is perfection in a tall boy can!

The color is lighter than I would have guessed. It's a nice butterscotch color with not much of a head to be found. Its a bit hazy. And the nice hop particles floating in the glass let me know that my hop cravings will quickly be satiated.

The smell is pure heaven. If it tastes even close to what it smells like, I'll be in nirvana.

The taste just blew me away. Hands down the best brew I have had in quite some time. It is incredibly well balanced. Just like the can says: it's not super bitter. The hops just dance on your tongue. Citrus notes abound. I crave more with every sip. Damn my brother for only giving me two cans! I am trying to figure out when I can make it to Vermont to get more...this turned me into an addict needing my next fix! I want to eat it. I want to bathe in it. I want to use it as a shampoo. I want it as a cologne. I want to put it into a humidifier and infuse my bedroom with it so I can fall asleep to Heady Topper dancing through my head.

Overall: must try, must try again...must have on hand Always!

03-24-2012 21:05:33 | More by marcdalke
shand

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 16oz can into an imperial pint. But not the whole can. Just a bit of it for appearance testing. Big thanks to BA redbird on this one.

This beer is a hazy yellow-orange. Tons of hop floaties in there. No head. Yet another reason to drink it from the can! The aroma is sublimely hoppy. Citrus, pine, and resin aromas dominate on the nose. Taste? Oh dear god. HOPS. I could say that there's a light amount of caramel malts, but it's really a secondary flavor to the absurd amount of DELICIOUS hops in here. It's nowhere near overly bitter, instead just providing an absolutely delicious, resiny hop experience with so many layers. The mouthfeel is fairly light and goes down very easily. The drinkability is absurdly good, I can crush this down like it's a 5% pale ale. If you like IPAs, you HAVE to experience this beer, at any cost. It's absolutely fantastic. World class. And yes, it is better from the can.

03-24-2012 00:57:19 | More by shand
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev -2.7%

Can (thanks Stephen): Poured a cloudy light yellow color ale with large chunks of protein floating around and a large foamy head with good retention. Aroma of super intense pine hops notes with some citrus and resin notes. Taste is also a super intense mix of pine, resin and light citrus undertones hops with a dry malt backbone that is hard to distinguish from the hops attack. The floral aromas are huge end very enjoyable. Body is full with great carbonation. I must admit the hype is totally justified for this one, truly one of the great IIPA.

03-23-2012 18:20:29 | More by Phyl21ca
beerthulhu

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%

A: A bright tangerine orange is dense with large, bran colored floaties. Dancing yeast cake is evidence of a good swirling carbonation. Frothy cream colored head sits well with a respectable amount of lace. One, I love a ipa that stays true to tradition and stays pale, without the influence of toasted specialty grains. Two, I love the extra visual of dancing yeast floaties, like a snow globe adding not only a visual sense but some vitamins as well.

S: The nose was of a sweet tropical fruity nature, mangos, fresh wet pine and some sweet orange/citrus mix. A dash of peppery spice is light along with some passion fruit. Very soothing, clean and polished.

T: The flavor was sweet and citrusy pine and oranges with a dash of peppery spice. Dried tropical fruitiness of pineapple-orange. Dry pale grains are crisp and clean, free from specialty grain coverup providing a nice base. Spicy citric elements, cypress, hoppy, but not over the top bragging rights, but rather a smooth, eloquent and jazz filled refinement providing an even flow of hoppy flavors from start to finish that was highly respectable, but never overbearing and obnoxious. Very sweet, tropical and citrusy.

M: Medium bodied, nice dryness of citrus with a dash of peppery spice sits well on the tongue.

O: Overall is very, very drinkable. An ideal tropical island drink with an ideal tropical and citrusy hop nature. Very even flow of hoppiness, refined and smooth with citric elements, peppery spicing and keg worthy. Would be my go to IPA if demand and market allowed. Again love the fact that it has a clean pale grain base, strong hop presence and junk in the glass for a visual bonus.Gentle lingering spicy west coast hops provide an invite for the next sip. Didn’t want this beer to be finished.

03-22-2012 22:42:57 | More by beerthulhu