Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.49/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Ok so this beer says to drink out of the can, so I am reviewing this beer drinking one from the can and one poured into a glass on a separate session. So the look isn't good. Tons of grainy sediment but to be fair they do tell you to keep it in the can for smell reasons, but after seeing it in a glass I call BS and say this is why they don't want you to see it. The smell is a hoppy citrus explosion. Might be the most citrus I've ever smelled in a beer. Most importantly the taste, and the taste is pretty good and smooth on some tastes and others a little more harsh. Never bad but kind of inconsistent taste through the beer. Overall, it's a good beer but not great, or for that matter the best rating on advocate. Double IPAs is perhaps the most competitive class of beers and I have definitely had better than this.

Update: had a third now out of the can, and it was a hell of a lot better than I remember. Extremely smooth and consistent. Now I don't know what to think about this except that I need to get a 4th to see if its as good as this one. It's very smooth but interestingly enough it lacked the citrus explosion like the last one had. Still can't say it the best double IPA. Yet.

4.49/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A regular at Max's brought in a can each day of Max's Hopfest (from notes, 8/16-18/13)

A: Cloudy golden blonde.

S: Sweet, citrus and floral.

T: Strong flavor. As unique as it smells. Even and nuanced. Flavorful. Lots of freshly mown grass and pine with malt sweetness. Big aftertaste.

M: Crispy and prickly and coarse. Nice mouthfeel. Smooth at the end.

O: One of the IPAs that tastes as good as it smells. I think a key component of any great beer, especially IPAs is the mouthfeel/carbonation/body and this one is great for conveying the flavors here.

4.49/5  rDev -5.3%

Huge thanks to exitmusic00 for giving me one of these. Very generous of you sir! Tried directly from can as well as poured into a tulip.

A- Pours a slightly hazy sunset orange with a ton of sediment. There is a one finger head that dissipates leaving some tiny spots of lacing.

S- Right when I open the can, the smell was powerful and bursting with mango, peach, pineapple, melon, apricot and passion fruit, basically a fresh tropical fruit salad. A great deal of floral hops are there as well as a bit of pint and biscuit malt. An amazing aroma.

T- Biscuit malt is more present as well as some citrus notes such as pink grapefruit and lemon zest. Still some tropical fruit such as peach and mango, but not as tropical as the aroma. Orange marmalade in the middle with some citrus bitterness at the end.

M- Medium carbonation and body with a crisp mouthfeel that finishes dry.

O- Extremely drinkable with a great aroma. The only issue I had was that it was a little less complex in the taste and a little malty, but a fantastic DIPA that can compete with the best.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had at the Skinny Pancake at Burlington Airport

A - Hazy orange body with a thick white cap that leaves great lacing.

S - One of my favorite parts of the beer. Like smelling a hop bouquet. Sweet, floral hops and a bit of orange zest. Just a hint of sweet malt and a smooth alcohol aroma as the beer warms. Piney and citrusy at the same time. Love it

T&M - Tons and tons of hops but I would not say this is an overly bitter beer. A little less than moderate carbonation allows the beer to coat your mouth with each sip. Pine and citrus hops with a sweet malt backbone. Warming alcohol on the swallow but not overly forward; just enough to balance things out. Every time I take a sip I think of aromatic flowers.

O - Insanely drinkable for a IIPA. I had this at 12pm which is usually way too early for me but I couldn't pass it up. Still went down now and easy. The key to this beer's greatness is its balance. All the flavors and aromas meld so well together and compliment each other wonderfully.

4.49/5  rDev -5.3%

thanks to egrace84 for sending this can my way! Thanks elliot!

tall boy can into duvel tulip.

Appearance: yellowish/orange opaque bodied beer with alot of white floaties. 2 to 3 fingers of white head that drops down to a small thin cap with some decent staying power. Spotty thin lace everywhere that the head touched the glass. I love how it says to drink the beer out of the can. I think its purpose for saying that is to hide all the floates in this beer. HA! Classic tactic right there!

Smell: This smells amazing! Big dank resinous hop oil upfront. Big citris notes mostly oranges. Some mangos and peaches too. Also has a little bit of sweetness in the nose, similiar to honey.

Taste: This beer tastes very hoppy without being over the top bitter. Thats a great trait for any hoppy beer to have; I dig it for sure! Very nice balance between the malt and hops! The hops have a fairly complex profile here, probably the best that I have ever tasted. Oranges, tropical fruits(mango and pineapple), melon, grassy, herbal, hint of pine resin, and all the hops taste really juicy. The beer finishes with a mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Not a hint of booze at all...very nice! Semi-dry finish, yet still juicy and dank thanks to the hops!

Overall: Wow what just happened, this beer is so good its disorienting! This im my favorite hoppy beer I have ever drank! This is my new favorite DIPA! Added bonus...its in a can the best beer vessel that there is with added convience factor of not needing a bottle opener to get into this nectar! Bravo Alchemist! I am moving to VERMONT!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first shot at HT and I have to say, it wasn't what I expected. I was expecting a hop bomb being a dipa at 8% abv but it wasn't. Definitely the most well balanced ipa/dipa I have ever had. Taste and mouth feel were definitely great (alcohol was very well hidden). Appearance and smell were very good but not the best. Overall it was an awesome beer and I can't wait to have it again!

4.49/5  rDev -5.3%

Though a very good IPA, I wouldn't consider HT in the same breath as either Pliny. I think with this beer we have an extreme case of confirmation bias. I can think of 5 or 6 other beers I'd rather drink. I drank my first HT a couple hours after it was canned.

4.49/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - The beer is medium shaded yellow with a dense white head.

S - strong pine and sampling of star fruit

T - delicious; pine, grain and citrus/kumquat resonate; though the can hold the potential potency

M - well balanced potent etoh mouthfeel

Fresh cold definitely makes a difference with this DIPA

Serving type: tap

look: 1 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured with a good bit of head, definitely looks like there is some wheat malt in there. Beer itself is almost an orange color and is completely opaque. If I were to look at this without knowing what it was I would guess it was a hefeweizen. This isn't even a weakish opaqueness, this beer is opaque right up to the edge of the glass!

The nose here is a bit more subdued than I had expected. I get some mild citrus notes and just a hint of bitter hop funk, not much else going on than that.

This beer has a very strong malt backbone (it is an 8% abv afterall, that alcohol has to come from somewhere!) but is well balanced with citrusy hop bitterness. Definitely not the most grapefruity beer I have ever had (that would be MBC Lunch) but its quite good. The hop bitterness really lingers on the palate and is quite pleasant. The aftertaste is the most bitter bit.

The moutfeel here is great. Very smooth, fills the palate, its just wonderful.

This is a great beer, its not my favorite IPA, but it sure is close. Additionally, for the price, this beer is tough to beat. Very tasty IPA with lots of bitterness and moderate citrus. Definite buy if I can get my VT cousin to bring me back more.

4.49/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

can <7 days old.

pours a cloudy yellow with a mild head. smell is in your face huge with juicy hops...wow. the taste is extremely juicy and fruity ...OMG. amazing citrus flavors, Damn. so so juicy. extremely easy to drink. medium bodied, mild carbonation.

overall THE best east coast IPA.

4.49/5  rDev -5.3%

16oz can poured into a pint glass. Drank about half from the can first, then poured the rest for this review. Canned 9/21/11

A: Pours cloudy, burnt orange. 2 finger head which some retention. Some scant lacing, but very limited

S: Blast of hops up front. Settled into a nice aroma of citrus fruits, orange, pineapple and mango. Some pineyness as well. Balanced somewhat with breaded malt

T: Mirrors the nose. Starts with some piney bitterness. Moves on to juicy citrus fruit with some bread crust mixed in. Finishes with hop bitterness

M: Full bodied. Crisp, but slightly undercarbonated. Bitter hop flavor lingers

D: Such a lovely, flavorful beer. Hops are forefront but kept in check by an underlying malt base. A must try

4.49/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to Ashley for sending this my way! Poured into a taster glass. There is a nice one inch head on top of a hazy orange color. There isn't a ton of head retention on this particular can though.

The aroma is full of sweet pineapple, orange candy, and some pine. Very inviting.

The taste is slightly sweet in the start with more pineapple and citrus. There is a nice dry bitter finish to balance out with some notes of pine that linger. This would definitely qualify as juicy.

The mouthfeel is light to medium with some good refreshing carbonation.

This is top notch. I can't wait for my ski trip in January to stock up.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - hazy yellow sunshine, moderate to heavy lacing, inch of froth

S - outdoorsy, piny, fresh cut grass

T - hops, hops, hops, pine, very clean

M - clean, good carbonation, slight bitter aftertaste

O - very very good, although I'm not a huge IPA fan, I get the hype and tried to rate according to its beer style. Get it if you can.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I drank Heady Topper a couple times from cans only, never on tap. I thought it was a great beer but not the best in the world. If I went out to a pub and they had HT , I would order and drink it over probably others because it's so hard to get anywhere outside Vermont.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist