Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 4,833
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
hardy008

4.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours an amber orange color with a two finger off white head with settles down to 1/4 inch and stays. Very nice tropical aroma with pineapple. mango, and grapefruit.

Nice tropical flavors with pineapple, mango, grapefruit, caramel malt, and a little citrus zest. Both sweet and bitter at the same time, with the caramel malt backbone keeping the bitterness a little bit in check. Classic style DIPA flavor.

Medium bodied with average carbonation and a bitter grapefruit zest aftertaste. A very nice DIPA which I like a lot. I would buy this fairly regularly if available in MN.

11-01-2011 22:56:44 | More by hardy008
abrand

4.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Huge thanks to hooliganlife for hooking me up with this. 16 ounce can poured into New Belgium globe glass

This pours a deep copper color with a nice retaining head that lines the glass. The pour is very hazy but appealing. Smells of huge citrus fruits including oranges, pineapples and melons. Some earthy smells come through with pine needles. Nice hop presence as well on the nose. Taste is very sweet up front with a delicious hop finish that balances on the palate. Very enjoyable tasting beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Overall this is amazing. Very drinkable DIPA with 8% and the taste is amazing. Thanks again Scotty!

09-30-2011 02:29:18 | More by abrand
mwrecording

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to Mielbeer for these 4 cans!

Drank mostly on the can as per instructed, I did pour a little of my 2nd can into a glass to be able to judge the appearance. Poured a very cloudy, floaty golden color. Fun to look at all the carbonation.

The smell is great, very grassy and hoppy...smell sort of makes me feel like I'm at an all jam band outdoor festival, if that allusion is properly created. The smell opened up and was EVEN more enjoyable for me when in the glass, which goes against what the can says but hey...they made it, they can make guidelines.

Taste is an explosion of hops, very grapefruit-y although the reviews prior made me expect a little bit more of a fruity smell/taste to it...I may be off on my fruits though, admittedly. There is a slight malt sweetness after the initial hop explosion. Nicely done.

Mouthfeel is where the beer takes its only turn I have a little trouble with, both from a can and glass(though glass helps a bit with this) its just a bit too carbonated for me. Which may be a good sign as I think these cans would go a 15 minutes faster if I could drink them any easier.

Overall: This is what I was expecting and it merits the hype. I'll also have it be known this is the first or second 'hard to get' beer that I've got my hands on that was truly, truly worth it for me. Pliny was a much harder got and for 2 years spent longing for it, wasn't what I wanted it to be(though great)

This is more of an DIPA up my alley...punch you in the face hops, with what I consider a better backbone or foundation.

Try to get a hold of 2 or x amount cans of these and you won't be let down. Great stuff.

06-09-2012 03:01:12 | More by mwrecording
CharlieMurphy

4.43/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Poured. Floaties, as you know. Cloudy medium amber with a thick resinous depth and minimal head but thick frothy residual on the sides

S: Can't do better than this. It's like boring your nose into mother earth's hop vagina. Heaven. Best clean citrusy smell of any IPA I've come across (Ephraim's smell is quite an experience too but not citrusy per say, more like it's alive like a luscious liquid swamp thing)

T: Sharp bittering attack up front and definitely the dominant component of the taste. Slowly transitioned some deafened citrusy flavors, hit with another punch of bitterness, then lulled out with a dampening dryness that lulls the taste buds into enjoyment of their anesthesia. Slightly lacking dimension wise (I know, I know).

M: Very very neutral for a big IPA, minimal dryness and residue. Appropriate carbonation - slightly above average.

O: Definitely enjoy it more poured than out of a can haha. The can restrains the aroma and taste imo. CANNOT beat the price here. I've had it on tap at the brew pub and only thought it was slightly above average. This is the most enjoyable Heady Topper I've had yet.

*Also better canned than on draft.

10-07-2011 03:30:59 | More by CharlieMurphy
barnzy78

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can, poured into a glass for the purposes of reviewing in comparison to other DIPAs, even though they say to drink it from the can.
Cloudy, cloudy tangerine body with a thin, white head that fades to a layer of foam atop the ale, leaving a little lace on its way down. Super fresh aroma, with orange rind, grapefruit, juicy fruit gum, mango. Taste is super fresh again here, with loads of mango, orange rind, mandarin, bitter grapefruit juice, grassy, a little nutty as it warms. Creamy and smooth medium-full body, lower carbonation, finishes bitter but not overly - more like grapefruit juice. Insanely balanced and drinkable. I'll need to get a hold of this again....for my wife. First ever IPA or DIPA she liked! I'll have to try it directly from the can next time.

05-24-2013 03:16:03 | More by barnzy78
yankeepride

4.44/5  rDev -6.1%

The first words I heard about this from a cicerone buddy was "please, don't drink it from the can like they say." So, I poured 80% into a glass and left the rest in the can. After it hit the glass, I understood the desire for the can. The unfiltered, resin-floating view was less than flattering. But, I figured, two million people can't all be wrong. So I took a whiff, and enjoyed the crisp, apricot notes coming back at me. Nothing piney, no citrus, just clean. Next was where the rubber meets the road - the taste. My wife summed it up best, when she said "wow, an IPA I wouldn't have to pair with food to drink!" I absolutely agree. It's perfectly brewed, and is surely the best, most balanced IPA I've ever had. First taste threatens to turn into piney hops in your mouth, yet never does. It just slides away, leaving you with a tasty, refreshing treat that doesn't stay past its welcome. Now I know why this is such a revered brew, and why people love to have more than one at a time. It's just that inviting, and one I wish was closer to me in availability.

04-07-2013 21:18:37 | More by yankeepride
Flip4beers

Drank in the can.
Overall taste is superb. Worth the hype. Never liked it too danked or too bitter but this beer is so balanced. I wish I was alot closer so I can get access to the source but it is a pleasure to have tasted the best.Cheers! I did a trade that made me have second thoughts but I am thankful I went with it. Thanks bmx87!

06-21-2014 08:23:27 | More by Flip4beers
s_wit

Wisconsin

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first shot at HT and I have to say, it wasn't what I expected. I was expecting a hop bomb being a dipa at 8% abv but it wasn't. Definitely the most well balanced ipa/dipa I have ever had. Taste and mouth feel were definitely great (alcohol was very well hidden). Appearance and smell were very good but not the best. Overall it was an awesome beer and I can't wait to have it again!

08-25-2013 12:38:20 | More by s_wit
jacksback

4.44/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from the can into a proper glass. Since any half knowledgeable beer geek sees right past the whole "drink it from the can to trap all those hop aromas" BS. Yeah, I'd like to smell- and hence taste- my beets.

And... This beer looks bad. Everyone knows this. Turgid, beyond cloudy dull light orange color. Visually, looks like a bad homebrew hefeweizen.

But... Also as anyone who has had Heady knows... That's really the only thing wrong with this brew. Passing the appearance, one gets to the nose. The big, loud, glorious hoppy nose. Loads of sharp, bright citrus notes all over the place. A nice earthy resinous character to the aroma as well. All hops and loads of them on the nose.

As soon as you're done taking in the nose- which can be a while- you move on to the flavor. The payday. The real deal. And what a deal. The promise of the aroma is entirely and completely delivered on. Hops, hops, and more hops. Hefty, rather aggressive bitterness that starts right up front and lasts to the finish. Loads of citrus on the flavor... with a good bit of pine resin and dirty sharp earthy action. Nothing significant in terms of malt sweetness to distract from the brilliant hop profile.

mouthfeel... Yeah, it's fine. Clean enough, big bitterness that sticks on the finish. Moderate carbonation. Enough weight to make this beer noticeable without being overbearing.

Overall... Superb. What a DIPA should be... But with a more interesting and unique hop character than most. Shit, give it a quick filter to clean up the appearance, and you've easily got one of the absolute best DIPAs brewed now.

02-13-2013 02:42:42 | More by jacksback
Swettenham_Shire

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received as an extra in a trade with malfunxion. First time trying this - and as advised from The Alchemist, I drank it straight from the can. The artwork on the can draws you in to that first sip. Taste is a perfect blend of hops with very little bitterness; delicious. Well done, but best beer in the world? No way.

07-27-2014 02:11:12 | More by Swettenham_Shire
oberon

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A big thanks to Roger at Bestway for GIVING me this beer on Sunday.I know it's snobbery but I can't drink beer out of a can,I hate myself but I just can't.Pours a murky kind of lemony tea looking with a thin white head,the color was hard to pinpoint.Pure hops in the nose,tropical fruit, citrus rind,deep pine resin,and sweet alcohol,all make for a volitile mix.Just hops and lots o' hops on the palate,pine resin,deep overripe tropical fruits,and some bitterness in the finish.It's oily as all get out and slick in the mouth.This beer is pretty damn raw and complex in the hop department to the hilt,bad ass.I love the hop burps!

05-30-2013 21:09:06 | More by oberon
Yoonisaykul

Quebec (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A- Opaque apricot, very little head but it might be the pour. Kind of looks like a hefeweizen. Web like lacing. Okay.

S- Sweet marmalade/apricot spread. Smells very good but I was expecting a hoppy explosion. Alcohol almost undetectable. Really sweet.

T- I'm really trying to figure out what I'm tasting, but I'm pretty sure it's mango peach juice. Great tasting bitterness. I don't know what to say really. It's veeeerry tasty. A bit of yeast in the end.

M- Smooth, medium to low carbonation which is just right. Not very dry. A little thin but it's really not a problem...it might actually be a good thing.

D- High, very high. 8%? Where? This drinks like juice.

Great beer. Would love to have access to it back home.

08-10-2010 19:27:33 | More by Yoonisaykul
output01x

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to beerhan for this awesome extra.

Partially poured from a 16 oz. can (no date) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 1 1/2-finger cream-colored head that slowly fades after a couple minutes to a thin coating and thick foam ring. The body is a hazy orange amber with a light number of random carbonation bubbles. Some light lacing can be seen clinging sporadically to the glass throughout consumption but does not stick around long.

The nose is a delicious and even combination of citrus and pine. Sweet and tropical, notes of grapefruit, tangerine, and mango all come forward and make themselves known.

Sweet acidity cuts the tongue at the beginning of each sip. Strong tropical flavors of tangerine, mandarin oranges, and grapefruit meet a strong pine flavor. Upon swallowing, the citrus and pine flavors kick it up a notch, Emeril style. These flavors linger and slowly transform into a slight bitterness.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer is easy sipping, easy swallowing, and easy to enjoy. The body is thick and coating, and allows the flavors to not only stand out but to take hold of your palate. The carbonation is barely noticeable but is certainly doing more than its fair share to contribute to the drinkability.

Consuming this beer from the can (as opposed to from out of a glass) has multiple benefits. The carbonation becomes stronger which adds to both the mouthfeel and the drinkability. The flavor becomes a bit more citrusy and loses a bit of the bitterness.

02-25-2012 08:13:50 | More by output01x
OldIronLungs

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mr. Topper, we finally meet. Via Fluke828 and AleLovinRuskie.

I will initially be tasting you straight from your container, per your request, but you will make it into a glass for the rest of the analysis.

Crack the can and a rush of flowery citrus and slightly piney hops punch me in the nose.

A sip is akin to making love for the first time. So long as that coitus involved a basket of assorted pineapples, grapefruit, oranges, and a frisky roll atop a bale of grassy hops. Beautiful creamy mouth feel with just the right amount of bite against the sweeter caramel malt. 8% ABV? Where? This is dangerously drinkable. I need a cigarette, darling...

After pouring it into a pint glass, I failed to notice the label -- there is a ton of hop sediment. I'm not adverse to this, but it's a little surprising to me that it's not a little cleaner, given that if I finished this from the can, I'd be enjoying a big gulp of pulp. The light caramel color is nice and a smooth head laces well.

Finally! A hyped beer that did not disappoint! Better than Pliny? Firstly, who cares. But also yes, it's made on the East Coast!

10-13-2011 01:39:10 | More by OldIronLungs
kbuzz

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 16 oz can into a schooner-style glass. Can't come up with one single advantage of drinking from the can...plus I can't review the appearance that way (did take a sip or two from the can in between refilling my glass and it didn't affect the taste at all). No date found anywhere.

A: The appearance isn't overly impressive, really. Pours a cloudy light orange/copper color. A half finger off-white/eggshell colored head fades rapidly, but there is plenty of carbonation bubbling up through the beer. There are floaties! My favorite thing to see in beer...not that I doubted it would be, but it's definitely unfiltered.

S: Smells very juicy and absolutely hop forward. Lots of citrus - orange, lemon, grapefruit primarily.

T/M: Despite the description, this is a very bitter IPA...definitely smacks you with it up front...then gives way to hop flavor with plenty of citrus - mostly grapefruit and lemon notes. A bit of pine in the finish. I'm glad not to get the orange in the taste that I got in the nose though - not my favorite flavor. If I didn't know how to make beer, I'd never guess that there was any malt in this whatsoever. Finishes with a near perfect dryness for an IPA.

O: This is a raw, down-and-dirty, throwback beer. Haven't had one like this in a good long while. My favorite thing about it is that it's different from the other big DIPAs that everyone gushes over. The market is begging right now for a more traditional, citrusy, good ol' Imperial Hop Bomb - which is what this is.

04-28-2012 17:34:29 | More by kbuzz
airohead2001

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I cannot believe that this beer is in front of me. I've dreamed about it forever. In fact, I've even considered making a trip out to Vermont simply to try it. Thanks, glazeman, and thanks to the trader that got this one done for him, and thanks to the trader that hooked me up with Matt in order to reel in the infamous Heady Topper.

A - Cloudy, dark brown/ruby/murky with a one finger head that quickly fades to a few bubbles. Unfiltered for sure - floaties abound.

S - Words cannot describe. Overwhelmingly the finest IPA I've ever sniffed. BIG, juicy citrus hops up front with tangerines, oranges, limes, and a hint of lemon. Warm booze in the finish. Perfect.

T - Just incredible. Biscuit malts, piney hops, citrus hops, with a harsh bitter/boozy bite in the finish. I love the biscuittiness that carries this entire beer, but it would be even better if it were only the tiniest bit sweeter.

M - Very good. Nice carbonation and appropriate chewiness without being syrupy. Great for a DIPA.

D - For me, Heady Topper is a whale of all whales. I wish I could drink it all the time. I could easily drink more than the 11 oz. that I had in this serving, unfortunately, I'll probably never have it again unless The Alchemist decides to make it more available.

12-12-2010 02:12:09 | More by airohead2001
StormKing47

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a bottle in trade from beerometer, enjoyed with Jwiss22, from my notes for once...

A- A ridiculous color for a DIPA. Where is the hazy golden, amber color? No where, it has succumb to the light brown/dark caramel color similar to freshly brewed sun tea. I am almost transported back to summer time and the innocence of child hood. A wild looking color with a crazy amount of yeast swirling around and bouncing off the carb bubbles. This one is all capped off with a medium, fluffy white head. Astounding!

S- A barrage of pine, pine resin, grapefruit, citrus fruits and tropical goodness all come through at once. The aromas have staggered me, but I can't give up this one smells too incredible. It's a West Coaster that has found a home on the East Coast. A slight warming and the tropical, citrus and piney aromas are still leading an onslaught of my senses, but is accompanied with the sweet smell of caramel to balance this monster out. Amazing aromas, just want to keep sniffing and sniffing!

T- This one is all about the hops and does not disappoint. After all the smelling and anticipation here it comes...a smack of hops right upside my head. Pine, bitterness, pine resin, bitterness, citrus juice, grapefruit, more bitterness and some tropical hints to keep it all together. It's a crazy balance of hops that continue throughout each sip and seem to just keep coming. Oh yea there is a slight caramel sweetness quivering in the background to try and herd all of the hop nuances from spinning out of control and murdering your taste buds.

M- This one is not syrupy, but kind of oily in a way. It seems to stick to everything and coats every area of the mouth that can taste. It actually feels balanced in a way. The carb is not to tingly, the hops aren't to sticky and the slight sweetness keeps it all in check.

D- A definite hop bomb that is incredibly drinkable. Could drink this for any meal, brush my teeth with it and use it as mouth wash. High abv says no, no, no, but everything else says yes, yes, yes.

My first try of this one and sad to say it was a bottle, would love to try the draft and can't wait for the cans. Looks like the West Coast has found a little bit of competition.

01-07-2011 04:51:24 | More by StormKing47
iadler

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%

Huge thanks to exitmusic00 for giving me one of these. Very generous of you sir! Tried directly from can as well as poured into a tulip.

A- Pours a slightly hazy sunset orange with a ton of sediment. There is a one finger head that dissipates leaving some tiny spots of lacing.

S- Right when I open the can, the smell was powerful and bursting with mango, peach, pineapple, melon, apricot and passion fruit, basically a fresh tropical fruit salad. A great deal of floral hops are there as well as a bit of pint and biscuit malt. An amazing aroma.

T- Biscuit malt is more present as well as some citrus notes such as pink grapefruit and lemon zest. Still some tropical fruit such as peach and mango, but not as tropical as the aroma. Orange marmalade in the middle with some citrus bitterness at the end.

M- Medium carbonation and body with a crisp mouthfeel that finishes dry.

O- Extremely drinkable with a great aroma. The only issue I had was that it was a little less complex in the taste and a little malty, but a fantastic DIPA that can compete with the best.

10-03-2011 05:54:10 | More by iadler
AgentZero

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%

Thanks to Alex for sharing this one, again. He had shared one with me before, but I was drunk and kept falling asleep and don't feel like a review based on that experience would do this justice.

A - Copper colored beer with a nice, foamy head that dissipated to a solid cap, and left a bit of intricate lace.

S - Purly on the nose, this one blows you away. Huge hop aroma, with citrus, grass, pine, floral, and some awesome tropical notes. Not sure how they packed so much into this nose, but it is great.

T - Great tropical fruit, citrus, and floral taste with some bittering on the end. There is a strong carmel malt base to this beer. The taste is great, although not quite as good as the nose.

M - Medium bodied and crisp, it got a little sugary for me at the end, but still quite good.

D - One of the top DIPAs I've ever had. It really lived up to the hype and was a pleasure to drink.

12-25-2010 07:14:16 | More by AgentZero
northbywest

Ontario (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's heady topper... everyone wants a piece of it. Here in burlington, people still stand in line for it and it sells out quite quickly when it hits the shelf.

A great beer- I don't do the whole 5 point review- but it's a top-notch beer. Best in the world? That's a really tough claim to validate. Scarcity drives demand, however wonderful a beer it may be.

People are definitely feeding the demand down south- the demand drives those lines at the stores around here- people are shipping it out/transporting it down to the metropolitan areas (obviously).

As far as aroma- solid, almost like pot-like. Flavor is wonderful, it hangs in your mouth, rolls off the tongue with weight but not too much. Definitely a fun beer.

As comparison, I'm partial to Lawson's double IPA (yeah, even harder to get). Never tried the Pliny's, but I'm guessing it's a toss up.

One thing my buddy -a true brewer/connoisseur- more so than myself- pointed out: the whole "Drink from the can" thing is somewhat BS- because the obvious reason is that the appearance/color is, well, pretty mediocre for beer, and somewhat crap for a beer this highly regarded. Who really cares about aesthetics, though?

I'll take a crappy appearance (don't tell us to hide it, Alchemist) for great nose!

Again, the #1 beer in the world ranking is recognized, at least around here by people that sell the stuff, as somewhat inflated by hype and scarcity- we all love it, but it's almost a hysteria for the stuff...

edit: the girlfriend made a point- 2 cans of heady topper is the max you want to drink- diminishing returns on the pleasure of drinking this scarce commodity of a beer. Two leaves you satisfied.

09-21-2013 01:34:25 | More by northbywest
DefenCorps

Oregon

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So I was trying not to drink for a couple of weeks and then I get one of these as an extra from a very generous starrdogg. Thank you, Matt.

Pouring a hazy amber with a dense off-white head with excellent lacing and retention. Going in without reading reviews in a while, I expected this to be clearer and less hazy, but hey, I don't really mind. The nose is big, juicy and very hoppy. Juicy with candied orange, ripe oranges, ripe pineapple, moderate floral and lemon, a little honey. I can't pick up much malt here, as there's so much juicy hop sweetness that it hides any malt on the nose. Quite excellent.

While the nose is solid, the palate is outstanding. Incredibly juicy hop character with oranges, tangerines, Meyer lemons, a touch of orange and grapefruit pith. Along with it is a moderate tropical fruit character, especially on the finish, with some pineapple, mango and yellow peaches. Bitterness is moderate here, and the malt character is moderate with a little bit of honey and a touch of caramel. The finish is excellent, with a lingering tropical fruit character, moderate orange and a mild bitterness. Medium-light in body with soft carbonation, this beer is great. Pleasing resin character as well, this is very good. Excellent stuff, I would love to have this again. Thanks for the chance to try this beer, Matt!

**Edit 06 Dec 2011**

I'm getting a chance to revisit this right after drinking a Pliny, and boy, is it still glorious. It looks cloudy and ugly, though, so I'm docking the appearance down by 0.5. can is fresher, so the nose is more pungent and more dank, hiding the caramel sweetness. I'm upping the nose to a 4.5. The palate is just a hair too sweet, and the more I drink, the less I enjoy it, and I'm dropping the taste to 4.5. Just a touch boozy, too. Still, a fantastic DIPA.

10-01-2011 00:36:35 | More by DefenCorps
taylor714914

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 ounces of perfection. Amazing head and deep copper body. Smells of sticky hops and strong sweet malty goodness.

Taste follows suit with an abundance of hoppy delightfulness paired with a strong malt backbone.

The price is right and the taste is too. Absolutely a world class beer. Glad I can get a steady stream of this because for a dipa it can't be beat.

06-18-2013 23:01:24 | More by taylor714914
taez555

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

For the love of all that is holy!!!

Please drink this beer out of a glass, not the can. I swear they just put that on there as a joke to fuck with beer nerds who’ll believe anything. This beer smells amazing, and deserves to be enjoyed in a glass.

And for the record, I bought a full case of it at the brewery. Had it on tap fresh at the Alchemist(WHERE THEY SERVE IT IN A GLASS), then in can’s at bar’s in Burlington, then back home out of the can, and also back home in a glass. After all those experiences I can say beyond a doubt the glass version is 100 times more enjoyable than drinking out of the can. Seriously, don’t do it. Or at least try it both ways and judge for yourself.

Ok, on to the beer…

This beer pours a cloudy tan yellow body with an off-white head.

Nose has a strong citric and fruity hop smell.

Taste is medium to full bodied, and yet surprisingly light for a DIPA. Loads of fresh cut grassy citrus and fruit. A lot of strong orange, melon and grapefruit hop flavors, with a touch of black pepper and some mild lemon peel. The hop taste in this one is really dominated by the fruit flavors, and reminds me a lot of Wormtown’s Hopulance. A nice present malt flavor. I’d say just your typical fresh grain, not a lot of distinction since it’s covered up so much by the hops. Bitterness is there, but well balanced and in fact actually takes a back seat to the hop flavor. Not overly bitter at all, and even ends with a very clean aftertaste without a long hop numbness. Very clean beer from start to finish.

So… the elephant in the room is that this beer is basically the current holy grail, circle jerk, of beers.

Obviously its rarity and the lengths you need to go to obtain it help the myth. But, and I humbly apologize for saying this, but this beer doesn’t live up to the hype. It is amazing, don’t get me wrong, definitely deserves to be in the top 100 of BA, but no way in the top 10, let alone #1. It’s on par with other stellar DIPA’s like Hercules or Pliny or Hopulance or Kiwi Rising, but isn’t vastly better than any of the others. But as they say, that’s just my opinion. Still an amazing beer, but… the hype and shortage of this beer have made it more popular than it probably should be. Oh well… I’m still going to enjoy the rest of the case I bought. :-)

07-24-2013 22:50:12 | More by taez555
BeerResearcher

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Shared a 22oz bottle with a very generous friend.
Served in Delirium goblets.
Pours a hazy pale orange color with a fluffy, but fading white head. Lots of sticky and patchy lacing rims the glass.
A big whiff of pine and wild flowers blast out of the gate. A resinous hop aroma rises and pulls a dry malty smell, along with some perfumy citrus and a little mellow rum.
The tastes follow the aromas very closely. Very hoppy, with bright orange zestiness, yet held in check by a solid caramel malt with some honey sweetness.
So flavorful, yet so drinkable!

08-06-2011 20:59:20 | More by BeerResearcher
axeman9182

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Two 16 oz cans (one direct from can, one poured into a glass) courtesy of Kadonny, and poured into my petite Duvel tulip.

Heady Topper pours a hazy slightly dull orange. There are some tangerine highlights, and visibility is minimal. There's about a finger and a half of cream colored foam crowning the beer, and head retention is just OK. Lacing is fairly nice though, more of the glass is left covered in it than not. The second pour does result in plenty of sediment hanging in suspension. The nose is absolutely wonderful. Tons of mango and pineapple, with some more overtly citrusy grapefruit present in more of a supporting role. The flavor profile leads off with a bit of candied sugar sweetness. The bitterness that rolls through next is surprisingly mild/smooth. I kind of wish it was a little bit more intense/attention grabbing. The hoppy close though is just as fantastic as the nose though, with tons of tropical fruit and just a ittle bit of citrus. The mouthfeel is spot on. The body's not quite Belgian style brew dry, but it has just a little bit more heft to support it. Meanwhile, the carbonation explodes on my palate, helping the potent hoppy flavors to come alive. Heady Topper's a stunning beer, and one of the abslute best double IPAs I've had to date.

05-01-2012 02:51:17 | More by axeman9182